• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces extraordinary loss of 7.1 bn yen, layoffs, restructures, cancels games

ShadowOS

Banned
A lot of people blame QA for bad games when in reality a lot of the issue is production pipelines, too tight budgets/bad scope and people making terrible judgment calls. So yeah.
having worked as QA before in the vg industry: shit rolls down hill
smiley-rolling-eyes-1859.gif

thankfully it's not like that elsewhere in IT

IrishNinja

You could've localized Hatsune Miku, but nooooo.

Sega's been dead since the Dreamcast died, people. They've just been delaying the inevitable.

Remember when Sega was all like "Yeah man, we're going to be the #1 third party EVAAAA! Totally going to happen, just watch. Are you watching! Keeping watching!"

Yep, good ol' Sega, you went full retard.

Yakuza 3/4
Sonic Colors/Generations/All-Star Racing
Valkyria Chronicles
House of the Dead Overkill
Binary Domain
Phantasy Star Online 2.0 (and a few good PSP games)
Football Manager
Shogun: Total War
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
Aliens: Colonial Mariens
Shining Blade
Published Platinum classics such as Bayonetta, Vanquish, etc

i'm leaving off lots of stuff here, and this is before you look at XBLA/PSN projects and re-releases. they've been listening to their fan community & making a lot've great moves there.

point being: your posts are either trolling or ignorant. we all loved the DC, but that shit was over 10 years ago at this point guys, might wanna let it go - they're better than theyve been since at least that point.

cj_iwakura

Yakuza 3/4
Valkyria Chronicles
Binary Domain
Football Manager
Shining Blade

i'm leaving off lots of stuff here, and this is before you look at XBLA/PSN projects and re-releases. they've been listening to their fan community & making a lot've great moves there.

point being: your posts are either trolling or ignorant. we all loved the DC, but that shit was over 10 years ago at this point guys, might wanna let it go - they're better than theyve been since at least that point.

How many of those games listed did Sega develop in-house? I agree they're a good publisher, but the golden games of their development are long since gone.

It's been downhill since they killed Smilebit. The Yakuza Team are about all they have left to offer, dev-wise.

Heck, I'm pretty sure Alfa System do most of the work on Phantasy Star Portable/Online.

rvy

Banned
How many of those games listed did Sega develop in-house? I agree they're a good publisher, but the golden games of their development are long since gone.

It's been downhill since they killed Smilebit. The Yakuza Team are about all they have left to offer, dev-wise.

Heck, I'm pretty sure Alfa System do most of the work on Phantasy Star Portable/Online.

AM2 and Overworks. But it's pretty slim, yeah.

IrishNinja

a number of them - but that's precisely my point; they've restructured and now work to put out a great number of quality titles, including through their acts as a publisher.

We all loved Smilebit. but Orta was what, 2003? again, you're holding a company to a standard from nearly 10 years ago, and we've got daily threads on here showing how different the market looks now. again, this is usually done by posters who either a) want sega (and market realities) to somehow rewind the clock, and b) aren't really giving their current lineup a shot. They were easily one of the top 5 3rd parties to give a solid effort on the Wii, i believe, and again, moves like PSO 2 to PC and vita, and more importantly F2P, really show they're working to both please fans and stay relevant.

but that gets dismissed by a lotta folks who think they'd be bigger if they just jumped back into the horrific game of hardware, or ported Chu Chu Rocket to more platforms. as an obvious Shenmue fan, it's mind boggling when somewhat intelligent posters here on GAF chime in to say they should axe Yakuza to get back on that, or again, abandon successful cash-cows like PS Portable/2 for an expensive single-player sequel to a much older franchise.

A guy on Reddit that supposedly works at Sega American in SF just said they closed down.

what...? wouldn't we be hearing about this?

Let's just be thankful they'll continue to make those shitty Sonic games.

i appreciate that so many winners choose avatars to give you a heads-up of what to expect (Medallion, etc).

And I so so so wanted to keep dreaming another HD Valkyria Chronicles might be possible one day.

Since the HD era is this rough on developers, what will happen with the coming uberHD systems?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
And I so so so wanted to keep dreaming another HD Valkyria Chronicles might be possible one day.
That dream died for me when they wouldn't even bring 3 stateside.

But no Bayonetta 2 and Yakuza 5 would be stomping on my nuts with a high-heel stiletto.

i appreciate that so many winners choose avatars to give you a heads-up of what to expect (Medallion, etc).
Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but my comment was born out of frustration because I'm a Sega fan. Though I guess I should at least hold my frustration until we know what exactly got shit-canned.

bangai-o

Banned
Midway went backrupt.
Atari is barely, but barely hanging in there.
THQ is bleeding pretty badly.
Capcom is milking Street Fighter and Resident Evil to the nth degree.
SquareEnix and Namco Bandai are struggling.
SEGA downsizing to keep it itself afloat.

Electronic Arts, Take Two and Activision are the only "safe" 3rd Party companies out here right now.

Sega can take a cue from Blizzard

Phantasy Star, Sonic Game, Alien Game. Thats it.

IrishNinja

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but my comment was born out of frustration because I'm a Sega fan. Though I guess I should at least hold my frustration until we know what exactly got shit-canned.

i guess i mistook your post for baby yoshi back there then, i just don't legitimately see how Colors or Generations can be called "shitty" is all. 4 for sure, but those ones were solid.

but moreso the implication that that's all they do nowadays. pardon if i read that into your post, but again it's sadly a common sentiment.

Sega can take a cue from Blizzard

Phantasy Star, Sonic Game, Alien Game. Thats it.

that's sadly what the OP details read like, to me.

A lot of people blame QA for bad games when in reality a lot of the issue is production pipelines, too tight budgets/bad scope and people making terrible judgment calls. So yeah.
I'm not blaming QA, I'm blaming a lack of QA. It's not that Sega's QA department at the time was incompetent, it's that they barely got a month to do their jobs on the games in question (just to restate for the new page, Shadow and 2K6), and apparently the programmers at Sega of Japan were so arrogant as to ignore a lot of the suggestions made anyway. It wasn't a pretty scenario, no matter how you slice it.

Midway went backrupt.
Atari is barely, but barely hanging in there.
THQ is bleeding pretty badly.
Capcom is milking Street Fighter and Resident Evil to the nth degree.
SquareEnix and Namco Bandai are struggling.
SEGA downsizing to keep it itself afloat.

Electronic Arts, Take Two and Activision are the only "safe" 3rd Party companies out here right now.

...SquareEnix is struggling right now? I know about FF XIII and XIV, but I thought they were doing pretty well once Deus Ex and Lara Croft and the Gaurdian of Light came out...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

onipex

I'm not shocked by this news. Sega did dumb stuff like watching a Sonic game sell 4 million on Nintendo's consoles only to follow that up with a Sonic game for everything but a Nintendo console. In other words they followed up every good move with one that was much worst.

i guess i mistook your post for baby yoshi back there then, i just don't legitimately see how Colors or Generations can be called "shitty" is all. 4 for sure, but those ones were solid.

but moreso the implication that that's all they do nowadays. pardon if i read that into your post, but again it's sadly a common sentiment.
Fair enough.

But no, there are a ton of great Sega games that I've loved in recent years. From Yakuza to Valkyria Chronicles, right down to Infinite Space.

bangai-o

Banned
Apple have $100 Billion in cash surplus....Sega are losing money....

This just sucks. Apple, buy Sega, let them do what they want.

new Shenmue and Super32x pls.

edit

shouldnt they have just closed down Sega Canada or somewhere else. Sega of friggin America? really?

Grymm

Banned
Too bad about Sega of America.

I have to wonder why they would close the American branch when it's the Japanese branch that's been lackluster.

M-PG71C

That truly sucks ass. :( I was really liking where SEGA is headed too. Is SoA really being dissolved? Or is it another asswipe on Twitter?

BosSin

That truly sucks ass. :( I was really liking where SEGA is headed too. Is SoA really being dissolved? Or is it another asswipe on Twitter?

It's someone on reddit, atm it should still be classified as a rumour, but this looks pretty legit to me.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yakuza 3/4
Valkyria Chronicles
Binary Domain
Football Manager
Shining Blade

My point still stands, they set out to be the #1 third party, they failed miserably.

hamchan

Time to release more than 2 Yakuza games a year now. I think the lack of Yakuza 5 this year hurts them quite a bit too.

Linkup

I'm not shocked by this news. Sega did dumb stuff like watching a Sonic game sell 4 million on Nintendo's consoles only to follow that up with a Sonic game for everything but a Nintendo console. In other words they followed up every good move with one that was much worst.

Which Sonic game was that?

squidyj

I'm worried Binary Domain's inevitable flop might sideline Yakuza Studio or at least Nagoshi. Plus it's not like the Yakuza games are really that huge in terms of success, worldwide they put up lower numbers than the Super Monkey Ball games did last gen and they cost orders of magnitude more to make.

Binary Domain being a flop is directly proportional to how stupid people are.

Directly. Proportional.

Almighty

Well at least Total War is safe I was a little worried for a second. That is the only IP they have I can say I personally care much about. Still less games being made is never a good thing.

vid

B... b... no, Sega, please don't go! You were just starting to be awesome again, please don't leave me, I CAN'T DO THIS ALONE, SEGA, I NEED YOU.

Top Bottom