• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unity announces layoffs

Draugoth

Gold Member
unity-lead-2023.jfif

Unity has released its financial results for the three months ended September 30, 2023, announcing layoffs despite a significant growth in revenue and a drop in overall net loss.

The numbers​

• Revenue: $544 million (up 69% year-on-year)
  • Net loss: $125 million (compared to $250 million last year)
  • Create Solutions revenue: $189 million (flat year-on-year)
  • Grow Solutions revenue: $355 million (up 166% year-on-year)

The highlights​

Unity's revenue increased 69% year-over-year to $544 million, while it reported a net loss reduced by half to $125 million, compared to $250 million during the same period last year.

Despite this, Unity has announced more layoffs as a result of a "comprehensive assessment of its product portfolio" at the beginning of its fourth quarter, as detailed in its Q3 2023 report.

"The assessment will likely lead us to decide to discontinue certain offerings, reduce our workforce and reduce our office footprint," the company said.

It added: "The timing and full impact of these types of changes on our future results of operations, cash flows, or financial condition are uncertain, and for those reasons we are currently unable to reasonably quantify the potential impacts through the fourth quarter of 2023."

As a result, the company did not provide any guidance for Q4 or the full year 2023.

During Unity's earnings call (transcribed by Seeking Alpha) following the release of its Q3 results , Unity's CFO Luis Visoso said decisions would be made and implemented during this quarter, with a target of being finalised by Q4 2023.

"It's not like a business model transition that takes a year or two years to complete," said Visoso. "These are things we were planning to do and executing now."

This was referred to as a "rip off the band-aid reset" by interim CEO James Whithurst.

Looking at Create Solutions revenue (the division in charge of Unity's engine), core subscriptions were up 19% during Q3 but revenue was flat year-on-year.

"Three sectors negatively impacted growth this quarter: Unity Game Services (UGS), China, and professional services," the report read. "UGS had a record third quarter last year from new game launches, China revenue declined from continued government restrictions on gaming, and we continue to reduce our reliance on professional services."

As for its Grow Solutions vertical (Unity's ads products and services), revenue increased by 166% year-on-year to $355 million despite the backlash in response to its proposed runtime fee announced in September.

"We continue to believe that we are gaining share in a relatively flat market," the company said. "We experienced some revenue softness at the end of the quarter and in October from the runtime fee introduction, which is now mostly behind us."

In the letter to shareholders, Whitehurst said Unity was "doing too much" and aimed to "emerge as a leaner, more agile, and faster growing company" for the next quarter.

He added: "Going forward, we plan to increase our focus on our core; the Unity Editor and Runtime, and Monetisation Solutions as we continue to see significant opportunities for growth in these businesses, including AI.

"In addition, we aim to sharpen our focus on fewer large and more attractive businesses where our capabilities offer a clear competitive advantage like Digital Twins."

T4keD0wN

In the letter to shareholders, Whitehurst said Unity was "doing too much" and aimed to "emerge as a leaner, more agile, and faster growing company" for the next quarter.
Looks like this will happen again in the future.
Going forward, we plan to increase our focus on our core; the Unity Editor and Runtime, and Monetisation Solutions
Oh no, sequel incoming?
we continue to see significant opportunities for growth in these businesses, including AI
Trend chasing i see.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don’t understand how they can make half a billion and still struggle to make a profit. They are making the engine. Not games. Where is The bloat?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
People were angry when they announced the price increases, but those increases were probably meant to stave off layoffs, and the reaction to them probably made layoffs inevitable.
So what? We should eat this bullshit without saying anything? I understand it's sad, but how about Unity making actual GOOD decisions for once before blaming the consumer/the devs?

So what? We should eat this bullshit without saying anything? I understand it's sad, but how about Unity making actual GOOD decisions for once before blaming the consumer/the devs?

Life is a bit more complex than that. Sometimes there are only bad decisions and less bad decisions.

There is a reason why I keep telling people to stop looking at just revenue.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Life is a bit more complex than that. Sometimes there are only bad decisions and less bad decisions.

There is a reason why I keep telling people to stop looking at just revenue.
Sorry but “life is tough” as an excuse to my clients doesn’t work. So why for Unity, a multi-million dollar company, I should say "oh ok, let's eat their bullshit because... reasons?"
And I'm not talking about revenue, I'm talking about stupid decisions that took Unity from a true competitor to Unreal to a completely abandoned engine.

Sorry but “life is tough” as an excuse to my clients doesn’t work. So why for Unity, a multi-million dollar company, I should say "oh ok, let's eat their bullshit because... reasons?"
And I'm not talking about revenue, I'm talking about stupid decisions that took Unity from a true competitor to Unreal to a completely abandoned engine.

When was unity a real competitor to Unreal?

Saber

Gold Member
People were angry when they announced the price increases, but those increases were probably meant to stave off layoffs

Lmfao right
Good guy company aways wants the best for the clients and employees.

Note that they can still increase the prices and lay out people. This practice is pretty common here in my country, Lojas Americanas already did that(while swearing it wouldn't). Most of those Ceo are nothing more than "we're sorry" from South Park.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
People were angry when they announced the price increases, but those increases were probably meant to stave off layoffs, and the reaction to them probably made layoffs inevitable.
They should just have offered revenue split starting next LTS version and people wouldn't have minded that much.
Problem is they played all the possible wrong keys, like trying to sabotage their own business.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
When was unity a real competitor to Unreal?
Ok let's pretend you don't know what I meant. Here is a small example of great games using Unity:
  • Rust
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • Outer Wilds
  • Subnautica
  • Cuphead
  • Fall Guys
  • Escape from Tarkov
  • Among Us
  • GTFO
  • Genshin Impact
  • Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps
Most (if not all) are really successful titles, and Unity provided a very solid alternative to Unreal. Perfect? Of course not. But they had something great.
Anyway, you are deflecting the discussion from the real subject: Unity in 2023 is dead. And they can only blame themselves.

Ok let's pretend you don't know what I meant. Here is a small example of great games using Unity:
  • Rust
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • Outer Wilds
  • Subnautica
  • Cuphead
  • Fall Guys
  • Escape from Tarkov
  • Among Us
  • GTFO
  • Genshin Impact
  • Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps
Most (if not all) are really successful titles, and Unity provided a very solid alternative to Unreal. Perfect? Of course not. But they had something great.
Anyway, you are deflecting the discussion from the real subject: Unity in 2023 is dead. And they can only blame themselves.

They were already dying. They had a position for much smaller games (some of which became hits) but they were never going to be able to compete with Unreal without drastically increasing their resources and investment and they couldn't do that without gaining investors or increasing prices.

You can see that their revenue is pretty high, but they're still not making money.

They should just have offered revenue split starting next LTS version and people wouldn't have minded that much.
Problem is they played all the possible wrong keys, like trying to sabotage their own business.

A lot would have moved to Unreal anyways, and they needed cash flow now.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, this studio was already going through it with the drama that happened a bit ago, it felt like something like this was looming. Such a shame. Hopefully those that were impacted can get back on their feet okay and sooner than later.

It really is sad seeing all these layoffs in the industry as of late, especially before the holidays.

Shifty1897

Nintendo first and second parties seem to be liking Unity well enough. Just this year we've had or are getting the following games made in Unity:
  • Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Super Mario RPG

Katajx

Gold Member
In leadership positions. How else are they gonna earn those juicy bonuses at the end of the year?
Not just leadership positions. These places are normally centered around high cost of living areas. That’s going to be the cost of it. 200 people is probably $20,000,000 a year before you even look at the benefits.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Trend chasing i see.
AI is not a trend. But I get why you would say that. This is like every fucking company putting "explore metaverse opportunities" in their roadmaps after that massive Facebook investment.

Kataploom

Gold Member
A lot would have moved to Unreal anyways, and they needed cash flow now.
Well, people don't use Unity because of pricing actually, unity has a lot of feature advantages over unreal, thing is unreal is just unbeatable in AAA graphics... And that's just because UE5 key features.

StereoVsn

The issue at the end is they they were and still are not making enough money to sustain their operations and grow.

Big question is what the heck are they doing. They have thousands of employees. Wonder if that’s because of that stupid merger with the ad company.

Could also be the issue they their price structure on mobile sucks so the big companies making a lot of cash just aren’t paying enough.

All they said, their last attempt was plain dumb.

Top Bottom