• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs to CVG - 'WiiU CPU < PS360'; Nintendo - 'We don't focus on specs'

Arguably it was worse, since we had megatrolls like tjhooker and drohne running amok. Drinky Crow was more active back then too. Still, this is getting pretty ridiculous, and it's likely to continue on this course for another 2 years probably before it starts dying down.

Some of these people are making me MISS drohne and Drinky Crow. They had their shit down to an art, some of the posting in these threads is just trite, short, headache inducing baiting and trolling. I read a post, I instantly regret wasting time, move on to the next one and repeat. Everyone who is speculating and interacting in a reasoned and worthwhile way goes on mostly ignored. I honestly think it's worse now.

How could it possibly be weaker?

It can't.
It's been explained by several people why devs are getting these results (new hardware, different structure so their middleware doesn't run like it does on 7 year old hardware).

But, that doesn't get hits to your site, does it?

OwrN0.png

JABEE

If these are true, Nintendo are building another Nintendo box. A box that'll sell cheaply, make all of their franchises look good but be rather useless for 3rd parties.

I can't see how the Wii-U will be cheap. It has a tablet controller. I see it launching at around the same price as the 360 last gen. Nintendo doesn't lose money on their hardware at launch.

Game-Biz

I refuse to believe Nintendo is that pathetic and cheap.

Pretty sure that's an exact quote form several people on this very board cerca early 2006 about hardware rumors concerning the Nntendo Revolution. If the consumers that threw down money for the Wii didn't mind its very underwhelming lack of power, then those same consumers probably wont mind Wii U's underperforming prowess. The trick is convincing consumers that there's value elsewhere that's worth their hard earned dollars. Nintendo did it once before and they can do it again.

Now, does that benefit hardcore gamers who wouldn't mind paying extra for better hardware? No. But that's not where the largest growth potential is anyway. I'm not trying to defend Nintendo, but there is a logic to their madness.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I feel like this has probably been discussed a million times, but I either haven't seen an answer or have forgotten it. How much would the tablet affect this?

what the point in a Wii U Speculation Thread if no one use it and start new ones every time good or bad unless it 100% fact true
Most people don't follow those megathreads and other may perceive them as being too (insert game company) dominated, meaning discussion may be too one-sided or devolve into circle jerk territory.

There's nothing wrong with hearing what all the sides or just regular members have to say about an upcoming system unless you are too emotionally invested with one of the companies.

This is just the usual pre-launch rollercoaster and it's meant to be fun with all the most devoted fans running around like headless chickens, having incredible meltdowns and having some healthy cognitive dissonance that will hopefully make them realize a thing or two.

Just relax and enjoy the ride!

I feel like this has probably been discussed a million times, but I either haven't seen an answer or have forgotten it. How much would the tablet affect this?

Completely dependent on what it's used for.
Streaming the same video that's on the TV would require almost nothing.
Rendering a separate, fully 3D world on the controller would be the same as playing a game in Split Screen.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I can't see how the Wii-U will be cheap. It has a tablet controller. I see it launching at around the same price as the 360 last gen. Nintendo doesn't lose money on their hardware at launch.
They are currently losing money on the 3DS.

lucius

This is actually positive news for Nintendo after E3 they will show specs likely around 1.5-3 times better than 360/PS3 and majority of gamers reaction will be happy.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I agree that it sort of makes me pause too, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same biases/fanboy ravings we see online carried on into people's livelihoods. We're dealing with a very immature industry.

Our old QA department was rife with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft fanboys. It may seem weird to say it, but people who work on games are normal people too and have absolute biases, even against the consoles they make games for. Possibly due to resentment, we all eventually start to hate our jobs after all.

Honestly, if I was a developer or someone in the know I'd find these threads extremely entertaining to read.

Anyway, too many conflicting reports and no substantiated info relative to the devkit revision, so it's anybody's guess if this info reflects the latest devkits. It should be "on par" and "slightly better" with optimization in terms of raw processing power in the latest devkits vs. the 360. That's what the God who lives in the pipe told me, and he's never wrong.

1-D_FTW

How could it possibly be weaker?

The latest PS3 Slim uses about 85 watts in demanding games (Down from about 220 at launch).

Proposal: The Wii U, although using more modern and efficient hardware, gets close. But Nintendo decides that want to keep the draw to say 40 watts. So it gets close enough (by Nintendo's thinking... they did clean up last gen with a truly wretched hardware system), but keeps things cool, quiet, and extremely profitable.

Tookay

Our old QA department was rife with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft fanboys. It may seem weird to say it, but people who work on games are normal people too and have absolute biases, even against the consoles they make games for. Possibly due to resentment, we all eventually start to hate our jobs after all.

Oh yeah, I completely understand where you're coming from. It's not like your personal tastes change because you're in a job.

The 360 and PS3 will probably be $199 with a 320GB HDD and two throwaway first party games this fall. I don't see Nintendo doubling that price with similar looking games.

Even there's even a shred of truth to these rumors, it seems more likely that the 6670/7670 rumors for the PS360 are closer to reality than we'd like to believe. If so, MS and Sony could probably both launch at <$399 next fall.

http://i.imgur.com/3TGYgl.jpg

There you go.

Oh lawd

Seik

Banned
“We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers.”

Amen to this.

Some of these people are making me MISS drohne and Drinky Crow. They had their shit down to an art, some of the posting in these threads is just trite, short, headache inducing baiting and trolling. I read a post, I instantly regret wasting time, move on to the next one and repeat. Everyone who is speculating and interacting in a reasoned and worthwhile way goes on mostly ignored. I honestly think it's worse now.

Even Drinky is a pale shadow of himself, his last return was like seeing Ali in the 80's, heartbreaking.

The ruse?

You know, cheap hardware with games people want to play, it's fucking shameful.

"The same source concluded, bluntly: 'I suppose you don't need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game.' "

Ouch...

So was Pacther right? Is Nintendo going to be late with this system? Will third parties bother to make new games for it? Guess we'll get a better idea two months from now.

JABEE

They are currently losing money on the 3DS.

They launched the system at $250. I believe there were reports at the time of the materials used to make the system were close to $100 not including marketing. Nintendo may change their philosophy after 3DS but how costly is a tablet controller and a system to manufacture. I can't see them losing much.

bdouble

I said "Never again" after owning a Gamecube, hopefully more people will stop falling for the ruse.

What ruse? The one of playing some of the best games ever created on any system that you can only get on a Nintendo system?

Here is my prediction for next (next?) next (next?) gen. 2 yes 2 WiiU's duct taped together.

With only one time in history to track how this duct tape theory actually works with the Wii I'd say since it was such a success they would definitely try to do it again.

Top Bottom