• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs to CVG - 'WiiU CPU < PS360'; Nintendo - 'We don't focus on specs'

guek

Banned
Do people realize the CVG story and the GI.biz story contradict each other? And the recent gearbox statement contradicts this story too.

Moral of the story? We should probably wait until we have more concrete news before coming to any conclusions.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This board is going down the crapper, and sadly it will only get worse.

For veterans, was 2005/2006 this bad?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The other source said it has "less shaders", this one says that the GPU isn't the problem, but the CPU.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This is just all a clever ruse to get Nintendo to finally reveal something substantial about the Wii-U, to put all our minds at ease.
Nah, Nintendo is loving this. If it's true then expectations are being put into check, if not then they have the chance to blow away us gaming enthusiasts at E3 because most won't be expecting much power-wise.

This board is going down the crapper, and sadly it will only get worse.

For veterans, was 2005/2006 this bad?

No.

And to the OP... you didn't see this exact story in any of the other 3 active threads? I'm pretty sure I've seen both linked to in the OP posted multiple times in multiple threads.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Can somebody please take note of what the news sites report about next gen so that we know who is credible next time and we can avoid some of the stupidity I've seen on GAF these last couple of days? Please.

Anth0ny

The same source concluded, bluntly: "I suppose you don't need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game."

Just goes to show that "sophisticated physics" means fuck all. Mario Galaxy 2 is the game of the gen.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0137_awl5d.gif

JABEE

Yep, we'll have to assume that all the credible sources have deceived us because the anonymous one is telling us the negative news we want to hear.

Maybe people who are developing games for a system like to stay in favor with the console makers. Leaks tend to be people who break NDAs and are not being greatly influenced by a need for Nintendo, Sony, or Microsofts favor or sales from the game coming out.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Do people realize the CVG story and the GI.biz story contradict each other? And the recent gearbox statement contradicts this story too.

Moral of the story? We should probably wait until we have more concrete news before coming to any conclusions.

The only non contradictory story is IGN. So, both the 720 and Ps4 are going to sport a 6670 GPU. Brace yourselves guys!

Nah, Nintendo is loving this. If it's true then expectations are being put into check, if not then they have the chance to blow away everyone at E3 because most won't be expecting much power-wise.
I'm kinda annoyed by it all, but this is basically free marketing for Nintendo and their new system won't be nearly as outdated as the Wii. They are riding a pretty comfortable wave of tears right now...

Game-Biz

What are the chances that the Wii U will be priced at $99 with one UTablet, 1 Wii remote, and 1 Wii Sports-esque game?

That would be awesome.

*cries*

If these are true, Nintendo are building another Nintendo box. A box that'll sell cheaply, make all of their franchises look good but be rather useless for 3rd parties.

Orayn

Positive news is the only correct news, so this is nothing more than slander and misinformation.

You have it exactly backwards. Many GAFers are ignoring the positive statements from credible sources while clinging to these anonymous rumors because they dislike Nintendo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So developers are no better than internet trolls.

That quote makes me somewhat skeptical of that source, honestly. What developer worth anything would give that quote to the media?

JABEE

Sounds like some random guy no one would recognize who figures he'd get more attention by being anonymous and saying inflammatory shit.

How would being anonymous get him attention? If he was "Mark Rein from Epic" that would be a way to make others recognize you and also draw more hits to the website you are leaking to.

KevinCow

Banned
There have been like ten different threads on these kinds of vague rumors on how powerful or weak the Wii U is going to be in the past week.

I get the "new threads for new news" thing, but I can't be the only one who feels this is kinda excessive.

We'll know more at E3. Is it so hard to wait two months?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Well.. that explain the very small size of the Wii U box I guess.

lol

IT'S NOT. IT IS 40% LARGER THAN Wii. without the gcn controller ports. or memory card slots.

K.Sabot

Why is it that Nintendo doesn't want people to make games for their system? It's absolutely baffling that they've dropped the 3rd party ball for 3 generations of hardware.

Orayn

Honestly with all the rumors and all the recent threads I've kinda lost track of the situation and I'm probably not the only one.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess right now. Definitely looking forward to getting some closure at E3, though.

Why is it that Nintendo doesn't want people to make games for their system? It's absolutely baffling that they've dropped the 3rd party ball for 3 generations of hardware.

Well, look at the Wii. I'm not saying it's the right strategy, but Nintendo's first and second party titles can carry a system.

JABEE

I'm not going to draw any conclusions. I'm worried about all the consoles remaining stagnant. We'll have to wait until E3 to see if the games look better than Current Gen or not.

Nintendo's lack of focus on specs should really stop surprising people. This is from a 1989 newspaper story. The product that's "technologically superior to the Game Boy" mentioned is the Atari Lynx.

Nintendo-Atari1989.jpg

likeGdid

There have been like ten different threads on these kinds of vague rumors on how powerful or weak the Wii U is going to be in the past week.

I get the "new threads for new news" thing, but I can't be the only one who feels this is kinda excessive.

We'll know more at E3. Is it so hard to wait two months?
Apparently, it is.

GAF may not be at its best in the shitstorms right before a new generation, but it is at its most entertaining.

Wazzim

Banned

They like money. The weakest hardware wins, I thought people understood that by now.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I refuse to believe Nintendo is that pathetic and cheap.
Or maybe, as a Japanese developer, Nintendo is reading the writing on the wall and realizing most western developers are not ready for even higher development costs.

Hell, aside from a select few major publishers around the world, nobody is.

Tookay

That quote makes me somewhat skeptical of that source, honestly. What developer worth anything would give that quote to the media?

I agree that it sort of makes me pause too, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same biases/fanboy ravings we see online carried on into people's livelihoods. We're dealing with a very immature industry.

Top Bottom