• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 12: The Show Online League Thread or How Will PSN Die in 2012?

Well this should be an interesting round of slider tweaks. off to talk to Psychobulk and hopefully bobhead, maybe bounce some ideas off them.

Sanjuro

Sanjuro, let me know when you're ready to get that ass tapped. Don't think I didn't see you celebrating Pineda's injury in mlbgaf

lol andrew bailey

I didn't celebrate Pineda's injury.

Anyway, I'm around this morning and late tonight after nine. After that I'm not going to be available to play.

ecnal

You're awfully chatty for someone who doesn't seem to ever move their PCI. Glass houses...
whyumadtho?

i probably should have played more like the real life padres by moving the pci away from the meat you were throwing in order to get K'd more often, right?

i didn't realize we were supposed to mimic our real life teams, but, then again, i should have realized the aforementioned when you started playing like the real life mets from the get-go.

whyumadtho?

i probably should have played more like the real life padres by moving the pci away from the meat you were throwing in order to get K'd more often, right?

i didn't realize we were supposed to mimic our real life teams, but, then again, i should have realized the aforementioned when you started playing like the real life mets from the get-go.
cotdamnyamanecnal

whyumadtho?

WOW!

takeisharp6002.jpg

OH MY...

I'd rather address why the "you mad" comment when faced with a simple factual statement. But hey, the games will start counting soon. Keep up the good shit though, and pray you get me earlier than later! :D

Corran let me know wen u can play today. Im good until 7 est then gotta watch that Opening Day baseball. Maybe I can play after 2.

ecnal

WOW!

takeisharp6002.jpg

OH MY...

I'd rather address why the "you mad" comment when faced with a simple factual statement. But hey, the games will start counting soon. Keep up the good shit though, and pray you get me earlier than later! :D

league needs some spice, and there's nothing spicier than a good ol mets/padres rivalry!

right, guys?
guys?
what do you mean?
of course the mets and padres are mlb teams.
no?

okay.jpg

will venable is comin for ya'll. LEAGUE. ON. NOTICE.

These fielders are too slow frank
you could've fooled me the way some of them are teleporting around. EDIT: Which fielders are you talking about specifically? Because guys like Duda and Swisher should be running slow. I mean I have it on 2 and Gardner/Torres/Granderson are still flying around catching liners in the gap.

gg, much better signs of Timing and Contact improving all around.

you could've fooled me the way some of them are teleporting around, but I'll reset it to its old value. Weird, only lowered it by 1.

idk, its weird because right after i said that, Gardner cuts off what looked like shouldve been a double into a single, but there were way too many times that guys scored due to the fielders not getting to the ball in time. The bases shouldn't have cleared on that Cano double, and later on Cano shouldn't have gone from 1st to 3rd on a routine single up the middle (unless you had your OF deep??)

idk, its weird because right after i said that, Gardner cuts off what looked like shouldve been a double into a single, but there were way too many times that guys scored due to the fielders not getting to the ball in time. The bases shouldn't have cleared on that Cano double, and later on Cano shouldn't have gone from 1st to 3rd on a routine single up the middle (unless you had your OF deep??)
Duda took the wrong route to the ball on the Cano double (dang controller!) and yes, the OF was deep. I forgot to adjust the fielders.

I want to keep the slider at 2 for a few games to get more feedback, but yeah I may just put it back at 3. The whole point is I don't want guys who run slow to be faster than they should. After 2010 when I saw Adam Dunn run down a liner in the gap I was like "AWW HELL NAW" and knew the Fielder Run Speed slider was forever borked.

Oh alright, that explains it. Just wondering, what was wrong with that Torres homerun?
From what I saw on the swing, the ball wasn't even on the PCI and the Timing wasn't even Superb/Perfect, yet he destroyed that ball. Maybe it's nitpicking, but I don't think Andres Torres should be blasting balls that deep w/o the pitch even being in the PCI. I mean you can hit balls outside of it, but the way Torres did? LOL.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
From what I saw on the swing, the ball wasn't even on the PCI and the Timing wasn't even Superb/Perfect, yet he destroyed that ball. Maybe it's nitpicking, but I don't think Andres Torres should be blasting balls that deep w/o the pitch even being in the PCI. I mean you can hit balls outside of it, but the way Torres did? LOL.

Dont doubt Torres. Dude is a beast!

You guys need to check the OP. There is a spreadsheet detailing teams/players. We should have around 5-6 teams left.

Pete you want to play Game 2? Or at least PM sanjuro about game 1

S1lent

How many games are folks expected to complete each week? How many game season will it be?

Just got the game, but would be interested in getting my ass kicked with Seattle.

How many games are folks expected to complete each week? How many game season will it be?

Just got the game, but would be interested in getting my ass kicked with Seattle.
3 games in 5 days, the 6th day is a warning day for games getting auto resolved. The season will be based on how many teams we have playing, since the schedule will be round robin with every team playing one series against each other. NO QUITTERS ALLOWED here.

AL East
Baltimore Orioles - CRIP4LIFE
Boston Red Sox - Sanjuro Tsubaki
New York Yankees - pistolpete2940
Tampa Bay Rays - darkside31337
Toronto Blue Jays - sext0n

AL Central
Chicago White Sox - VACANT
Cleveland Indians - Ramirez
Detroit Tigers - Square Triangle
Kansas City Royals - Duane Cunningham
Minnesota Twins - VACANT

AL West
Los Angeles Angels - Dmncnby2k9
Oakland Athletics - FrenchMovieTheme
Seattle Mariners - goldlion054
Texas Rangers - DCX

NL East
Atlanta Braves - AnEternalEnigma
Miami Marlins - ph33nix
New York Mets - The Frankman
Philadelphia Phillies - DenogginizerOS
Washington Nationals - Kave_Man

NL Central
Chicago Cubs - Mrbob
Cincinnati Reds - jmitchell
Houston Astros - VACANT
Milwaukee Brewers - eznark
Pittsburgh Pirates - VACANT
St. Louis Cardinals - Shiv47

NL West
Arizona Diamondbacks - acheron_xl
Colorado Rockies - Fenix
Los Angeles Dodgers - VACANT
San Diego Padres - ecnal
San Francisco Giants - Corran Horn

according to the Google doc in the 1st page, we have 5 available teams left.

Doytch

Realising that I don't really have the want to do this...haven't even touched the game in a week or two. You can free up the Jays [for a Jays fan, preferably one who's not a Leafs fan.]

S1lent

Though Seattle is taken, I'd be willing to grab one of the remaining teams, but I think I'll pass as I don't know if I'll be able to do 3 games every 5 days. That seems a bit ambitious given people's busy and often conflicting schedules.

3 games in 5 days, the 6th day is a warning day for games getting auto resolved. The season will be based on how many teams we have playing, since the schedule will be round robin with every team playing one series against each other. NO QUITTERS ALLOWED here.

I'm no quitter, but I keep weird hours. I hope I can find people when I want/need to play.

I'm no quitter, but I keep weird hours. I hope I can find people when I want/need to play.
As long as you can communicate with your opponents match up and play a few games in a series, it's not bad.

Again, the big thing I'm looking for is at least people try to communicate via GAF PM/PSN/AIM/etc. with others. I'm sure most guys don't mind as long as people actively try an contact their opponents regarding being able to play, what most of us don't like is virtual silence for 3-4 days then a message outta nowhere saying "Whoops I can't play".

As long as you talk to your opponents, you're fine. I should really start posting the Rules myself...

So how does this all work? I'm very interested in playing, but I'd like to know more about the setup of online leagues. How in depth is it re: roster, trades, etc.? Will it be necessary to manage an entire organization, or is this more the one season, one shot at the title sort of online league?

Also, I work graveyards on the west coast so my hours might be a bit weird.

Tentative rules:

Amount of games will be dependent on the number of teams we have
3 game series done in 5 day increments, with a 6th warning day
Hitting/Pitching Level: Hall Of Fame
Pitching Interface: Meter
Hitting Interface: Zone
Guess Pitch: OFF
Strike zones: OFF
Hot Zones: OFF
Balks: ON
Fast Play: ON
Baserunning controls: New
Draft: None
Playoff Teams: Determined based on amount of teams

Rules from last season. *Will be edited going forward.*
1. Like every year since 2009, we will play this like a Sim league. It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate, but please don't throw 100% junk balls outside the strike zone to your opponent all game long. Having said this, there aren't going to be any regulations against pitching in this game. If you are a patient enough hitter you can force your opponent to throw some strikes over the plate to smash. Don't go swinging right away at all the pitches being thrown! If you are swinging at sliders outside the strike zone you only have yourself to blame! And it will happen to all of us this season. On the flipside, when you're batting don't just sit your PCI in the middle of the plate all day long! We have alot of vets playing this year, and I guarantee anyone who does that will not have much success in the League :lol

2. If you play a day game and there's an insane amount of lag, Friendly Quit and try and try the game at night. That usually gives you a better chance of having less lag when during the game since less people are online.

3. No excessive stealing, no early stealing, if you're up like 5-6 in the 7th/8th be fair. Also do not quickpitch your opponent, give him a second or two in the box.

4. Don't peg a star player because he's working you over at the plate or pitching a gem, injuries are a factor.

5. You must use at least four of your starters in a regular rotation. Since the league can't track them (actually they can, but won't force you) we will be using the honor system on it. If you forget what starter you used just count back the days from the first game and go from there! In the Playoffs, you can use a 3-man rotation.

6. In extreme cases if evidence of repeated dickery is found auto-losses will be penalized.

7. Trading is allowed, but all trades must be approved by the co-commisioners.
So how does this all work? I'm very interested in playing, but I'd like to know more about the setup of online leagues. How in depth is it re: roster, trades, etc.? Will it be necessary to manage an entire organization, or is this more the one season, one shot at the title sort of online league?

Also, I work graveyards on the west coast so my hours might be a bit weird.
In reality, unless you're calling up people from the minors due to injuries you'll only need to concentrate on your MLB team. We may do another league but we play one-shot at a time. Regarding your hours, can you post days/hours you're at home? We all tend to have weird hours, in the past people have gotten around that by playing 2-3 games in short periods. I once did 3 games in a series in under 3 hours!

I just heard the Operation Sports Full Minors OPENING DAY Rosters will be done sometime Wednesday night. I'm going to re-contact people in the league and get a rough estimate of how many people we have left, we may start this thing Friday or Saturday.

Just sent out like 7-10 Friend Requests. Check your Playstations, people.

Requests sent/waiting:
CRIP4LIFE - Accepted
AnEternalEnigma - Accepted
Denogginizer -
Goldlion054 - Accepted
jmitchell -
Shiv47 - Accepted
sext0n - Accepted
Kave_Man -
Ph33nix - Accepted
darkside31337 - Accepted
FrenchMovieTheme -

Has to put info on Google Doc:
Ramirez

So I'm shooting PMs to people to see who's ready to play by this week in the real league, and some of you have PMs turned off... If you don't post in the thread and you don't accept PMs how are we supposed to contact you? Telepathy? :p

S1lent

Ah, screw it. I'll take the White Sox if you'll have me. 3 games every 5 days shouldn't be too demanding if we are playing multi-game series. Looking forward to getting my ass kicked the old fashioned way as opposed to getting quick pitched and SB'd to death, which seems to be the preference in the online games I've played thus far.

MickeyPhree

I'm ready to play just about anytime. I suffered a really bad injury at work and am going to be laid up at home till at least mid May. I will just have to work my game time around my little ones viewing of Dora the Explorer and Yo Gabba Gabba.

Top Bottom