• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
yo
dude
what the fuck
Just kill me now/make a furry lover.

I'd rather watch Kanon 2002 with their cute derpy faces than suffer through this. Is someone going to be post about Powerpuff Girls next?
it's pretty good, i recommend you check it out!

I didn't know you started this, but you made a good choice!

Yeah, the monsters have a lot more thought put into them in HeartCatch then in Smile Precure.
Yeah, so far I'm enjoying this a fair a bit more than Smile PreCure.

Why do you hate poor Medaka so much, she never did anything to you. :(
I actually kinda want this to be good considering what I've heard about the manga but I really can't see a 6 month gap between a second cour being anything other than detrimental to the quality and reception of the overall series.

More importantly...
I'll marathon Yami to Boushi and Kannazuki no Miko (after i'm done with Kanon 2002) if Envelope agrees to watch all of Cowboy Bebop!
you know what needs to be done!

this is pretty catchy

frostbyte

Kez03.jpg

I liked the OP song though

Steroyd

Well I have always wanted to watch Powerpuff Girls Z....

http://i.imgur.com/upbwg.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="Regulus Tera, post: 36877248"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A06jJSXDimU"]I imagine this was made in Korea though.[/URL][/QUOTE]

What the fuck!?

frostbyte

It was part of a very short-lived collaboration between Aniplex and Cartoon Network in order to make the latter's brands more marketable in Japan or some shit. I don't think it was very popular, as it only lasted one year.

Why rely on gaijin moe when you have your own perfectly marketable moe?

Was Powerpuff Girls really popular in Japan at that time or something?

Steroyd

The anime thread is being taken by video games!!!

Well it's a good thing I didn't cross the streams by doing something like this which was also on my 3DS.

Shaun hitsuji - shutazu supurauto

yR3Zo.jpg

Man those pigs are always bastards for no reason at least they got what they deserved, Shaun rocking those shades like a boss.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Given how many of you complain about stuff actually from Japan, it's clear that being Japanese isn't what's important for people in this thread.

frostbyte

Well it's a good thing I didn't cross the streams by doing something like this which was also on my 3DS.

Shaun hitsuji - shutazu supurauto

http://i.imgur.com/yR3Zo.jpg?1[IMG]

Man those pigs are always bastards for no reason at least they got what they deserved, Shaun rocking those shades like a boss.[/QUOTE]

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

WHY? ;_;

[quote="Hitokage, post: 36877472"]Given how many of you complain about stuff actually from Japan, it's clear that being Japanese isn't what's important for people in this thread.[/QUOTE]

My personal definition of anime is a piece of animation that is not intended for Western audiences and mostly intended for a Japanese audience. There's probably a million flaws you could find in this definition but I've stuck with it this far.

Grzi

Mahou Tsukai Tai (Magic User's Club) OVA - 01

Wow. Seriously, wow.
This was great. The animation, the music, the tone, the atmosphere, everything was perfect, it clicked with me in a really good way. The feel of this show reminds me of why I started to watch anime in the first place, I love it.
Hopefully it remains as good for the rest of it's run, and the TV series' run. But so far, I'm really impressed.

Jintor

The closest I got to anime today was watching Tales of Grace F cutscenes and playing Dragon Ball Z Kinect and Ni No Kuni and I guess watching someone who didn't know what he was doing play One Piece Pirate Warriors.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kinda like the JRPG vs WRPG stupidity in Gaming Side.
Although I do agree that this thread should remain primarily about anime, anime-related material, and the anime-viewing community here. That latter part provides a bit of leeway but if it's just you deciding on your own to watch something random, then this isn't really the place for it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My personal definition of anime is a piece of animation that is not intended for Western audiences and mostly intended for a Japanese audience. There's probably a million flaws you could find in this definition but I've stuck with it this far.
That's a very insular point of view, but it probably exemplifies people's general perception of anime the best.
Although I do agree that this thread should remain primarily about anime, anime-related material, and the anime-viewing community here. That latter part provides a bit of leeway but if it's just you deciding on your own to watch something random, then this isn't really the place for it.
Let it be known that I've always talked only about anime here.

Well, except for the ponies.

sonicmj1

Just FYI, 8, 16, and 24 are also Nanami comedy episodes and they are equally insufferable. Brace yourself.

Well fuck.

I mean, not even the shadow people have any idea what the fuck is going on in that episode.

"Ocarina of Time is terrible, I quit playing after that awful first dungeon."

I don't think the first dungeon of OoT is awful, but I've never reached the second dungeon of that game. There's nothing wrong with the beginning (it's definitely better than TP's opening), but I never felt an urge to go back and continue onwards.

Whatever.

Narag

Yu Yu Hakusho 4-8

I adore all these characters so far. Kuwabara in particular what with the scene where he's trying to rescue his cat. I think I prefer Yusuke with his hair down. Yusuke's mother in particular I'm trying to get a grasp as at times she seems so worthless but other times she's just like he is in how she evidently can't express herself in a healthy manner. Hiei's a complete bastard too. Curious as to how he'll end up paling around with Yusuke.

Kurama sounded so familiar so it shouldn't have been a surprise to me to see it was the same VA as Sailor Uranus given my other recent viewing choice. I was more surprised the same VA voiced Shinji Ikari. I should pay closer attention to these things.

Branduil

There's No Way My Lovecraftian Horror is a Stupid Magical Girlfriend 1

And it was then that Nyarlathotep came out of Egypt. Who he was, none could tell, but he was of the old native blood and looked like a Pharaoh. The fellahin knelt when they saw him, yet could not say why. He said he had risen up out of the blackness of twenty-seven centuries, and that he had heard messages from places not on this planet. Into the lands of civilisation came Nyarlathotep, swarthy, slender, and sinister, always buying strange instruments of glass and metal and combining them into instruments yet stranger. He spoke much of the sciences - of electricity and psychology - and gave exhibitions of power which sent his spectators away speechless, yet which swelled his fame to exceeding magnitude. Men advised one another to see Nyarlathotep, and shuddered. And where Nyarlathotep went, rest vanished; for the small hours were rent with the screams of a nightmare.

And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond Time; the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods — the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.

It was the eldritch scurrying of those fiend-born rats, always questing for new horrors, and determined to lead me on even unto those grinning caverns of earth's centre where Nyarlathotep, the mad faceless god, howls blindly to the piping of two amorphous idiot flute-players.

What his fate would be, he did not know; but he felt that he was held for the coming of that frightful soul and messenger of infinity's Other Gods, the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep.

There was the immemorial figure of the deputy or messenger of hidden and terrible powers - the "Black Man" of the witch cult, and the "Nyarlathotep" of the Necronomicon.

There are references to a Haunter of the Dark awaked by gazing into the Shining Trapezohedron, and insane conjectures about the black gulfs from which it was called. The being is spoken of as holding all knowledge, and demanding monstrous sacrifices.

And they whispered also that the rumoured shantak-birds are no wholesome things; it being indeed for the best that no man has ever truly seen one (for that fabled father of shantaks in the king’s dome is fed in the dark).

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

The end is near. I hear a noise at the door, as of some immense slippery body lumbering against it. It shall not find me. God, that hand! The window! The window!

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

frostbyte

That's a very insular point of view, but it probably exemplifies people's general perception of anime the best.

Yeah, I know it's quite a simplistic and naive definition, hence my foreword of a million flaws.

I haven't really found a better definition for anime. It's even more complex when you factor in outsourcing to China/Korea, the inspirations/homages of anime, and companies (Madhouse) producing works that are clearly aimed for western audiences (Marvel series of anime, Animatrix/Batman Gotham Knight to some extent). Then, you also have works like First Squad and Technotise. I just don't think there's a clear segregration between what is considered anime and what isn't.

Do you guys have a better definition for what anime is?

Westlo

Medaka Box 2

Do we have any more confirmation on this being a single cour show?

The original rumors mentioned it being a split cour series. The rumors were...

Gainax - Right
Imaishi - Wrong (May have been right @ the time... "No Kumagawa? Fuck that I'm outta here!")
Split Cour - Half Right since this is 12 Episodes as of now. Considering Mago had 2 seasons, Bakuman has 2 and a 3rd inc... wouldn't be surprised if it was split cour.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lupin III The Woman Called Fujiko Mine 02
csoJV.jpg

What will happen if it turns out this show has better jazz than Apollon? In many respects this episode is much stronger than the first. The self contained story here is much more character focused, and the self contained story to this episode is simple while dealing with more complex emotions. It probably says a lot that after watching this I immediately felt like I could go back and watch it again and pull more from it. Loved the noir feel to this episode, and Jigen is a complete boss in this. I'm really can't express how pleased I am with how this is turning out.
Loads of people will complain about the shading in this episode.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why do we consider something like Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt anime then? It clearly has more in common with late-night North American cartoons like South Park.

The original rumors mentioned it being a split cour series. The rumors were...

Gainax - Right
Imaishi - Wrong (May have been right @ the time... "No Kumagawa? Fuck that I'm outta here!")
Split Cour - Half Right since this is 12 Episodes as of now. Considering Mago had 2 seasons, Bakuman has 2 and a 3rd inc... wouldn't be surprised if it was split cour.

It would be annoying if we kept getting 1 cour seasons, but it would be better than nothing. Ideally, we'd be at the flask arc by 2 and Kumagawa by 3.

Of course first the show has to prove profitable for Gainax before that can happen, something which might be tough with its timeslot.

frostbyte

We'll settle for "close enough".

Ah ok then. Just interested in animeGAF's opinion since some of the members here display impressive knowledge and insight about many aspects of anime.

If we go by the Japanese definition it is "cartoons". If we go by the weaboo definition I'd say it is "cartoons ostensibly made by Japanese people or influenced by cartoons made by Japanese people".

The japanese definition seems more correct. The weaboo definition is flawed though. I dunno...

If you talk about it here and the general consensus isn't 'get the fuck outta here', it's probably okay

I guess so...

Why do we consider something like Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt anime then? It clearly has more in common with late-night North American cartoons like South Park.

Well, according to my flawed definition/beliefs, I consider it an anime due to the animation styles it uses, but aimed at a Western audience.

wonzo

Banned
Koikelupin 2

Wow, yet another excellent episode of Koikelupin! I felt this was a much better episode mostly due to the more character driven story compared to what we got for the first one. Visually, I found the shading to be much less of an issue plus the OP and ED were notably more detailed. Hopefully this show continues to blow away my expectations on a weekly basis as I can easily see this being the show of the season, if not the whole year.

Not even Okada can ruin this now!

Westlo

It would be annoying if we kept getting 1 cour seasons, but it would be better than nothing. Ideally, we'd be at the flask arc by 2 and Kumagawa by 3.

Of course first the show has to prove profitable for Gainax before that can happen, something which might be tough with its timeslot.

Well it started off alright on Amazon rankings (peaked @ around #36 after it got listed) but just checking now.... has dropped to #240 for the Bluray and is #5,420 for DVD... and Episode 2 aired..

We'll only get 30 seconds of Kumagawa my Kumagawabro :(

iavi

FMAB 2-13

There really isn't much I can think to say on this that'd be novel at this point, so I'll just say that it really has been one all-around fantastic series, with some incredibly impressive bits to boot. Really enjoying this.

neoanarch

How did Corpse Princess do? If something as awful as that from Gainax got a second season Medaka is a lock.

Anime definition wars

Anime is a loan word twice over. In japanese its simply a word for animation, reloaned in english its animation produced in japan.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Oh, I forgot to mention that most of the new Fujiko ED art is really bad. I guess the hope is that I don't see it again next week.

Westlo

How did Corpse Princess do? If something as awful as that from Gainax got a second season Medaka is a lock.

From memory it did pretty crap.. but IIRC that was confirmed to be split cour from the start? Also looking @ the dates on MAL right now... S1 ended dec... but s2 stated Jan? Wut?

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Lupin III - "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" Episode 2

Jigen makes good use of the shading.

neoanarch

From memory it did pretty crap.. but IIRC that was confirmed to be split cour from the start? Also looking @ the dates on MAL right now... S1 ended dec... but s2 stated Jan? Wut?

did it? Completely forgot everything about that show. But honestly why are people doubting whether it will do well or not?

Gainax+Nisio+Shueisha

I just can't see it doing badly. At least not bad enough to only get 12 episodes. Manga sales are healthy based on yearly charts. Shueishas primary concern lies there as long as they get a modest bump in manga sales it will probably be continued. Whether they stop at 12 episodes or not is probably based on Gainaxs production speed.

Westlo

did it? Completely forgot everything about that show. But honestly why are people doubting whether it will do well or not?

Gainax+Nisio+Shueisha

I just can't see it doing badly. At least not bad enough to only get 12 episodes. Manga sales are healthy based on yearly charts. Shueishas primary concern lies there as long as they get a modest bump in manga sales it will probably be continued. Whether they stop at 12 episodes or not is probably based on Gainaxs production speed.

Because Gainax is a shell of its former self?
Because Nisio+Shueisha equaled a nearly cut manga (I followed this manga and the Jump rankings @ the time, it had a lot of luck involved... like To Love Ru ending that let it survive + even worse performers in the rankings) until Kumagawa came into it?
Because said character won't get animated?

Btw the website mentions things on character profiles you won't find out until the second season.. so safe to say it's split cour.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Gainax+Nisio+Shueisha

The Chihayafuru manga is very popular and we know how that turned out for the animu.

Westlo

The Chihayafuru manga is very popular and we know how that turned out for the animu.

Yes.. but he means... for example...

Ao no Exorcist say.. Vol 4 sells 70k before falling off the charts.
Ao no Exorcist airs in that Geass/Gundam00/FMA Brotherhood timeslot.
Ao no Exorcist sells a fuckload of manga. (For example Vol 8 came out last week... sold 520k week 1)
Ao no Exorcist gets a Movie.

Inu x Boku SS is like a mini AnE in regards to increases in manga sales, it would've got another season even if it sold 5k let alone the 14k it ended up doing. Did Chihayafuru get a bump at all from the anime? Shueisha tends to care about this stuff, see Mago and Bakuman getting multiple seasons and Sket Dance getting an extension as examples.

Novid

Banned

Anime definition wars

Anime is a loan word twice over. In japanese its simply a word for animation, reloaned in english its animation produced in japan.

ugh... how many times does one got to do this? the word for animation in Japan is Doga. the anime moniker stuck because of the coproductions the french and japanese studios did in the mid 70's.

Grzi

FMAB 2-13

There really isn't much I can think to say on this that'd be novel at this point, so I'll just say that it really has been one all-around fantastic series, with some incredibly impressive bits to boot. Really enjoying this.

Wait till you see episode 19.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ugh... how many times does one got to do this? the word for animation in Japan is Doga. the anime moniker stuck because of the coproductions the french and japanese studios did in the mid 70's.
Anime is taken from animation and is used as we would say cartoon. Used as in actually used in Japanese, not just something westerners caught on to.

Articalys

Yes.. but he means... for example...

Ao no Exorcist say.. Vol 4 sells 70k before falling off the charts.
Ao no Exorcist airs in that Geass/Gundam00/FMA Brotherhood timeslot.
Ao no Exorcist sells a fuckload of manga. (For example Vol 8 came out last week... sold 520k week 1)
Ao no Exorcist gets a Movie.

Inu x Boku SS is like a mini AnE in regards to increases in manga sales, it would've got another season even if it sold 5k let alone the 14k it ended up doing. Did Chihayafuru get a bump at all from the anime? Shueisha tends to care about this stuff, see Mago and Bakuman getting multiple seasons and Sket Dance getting an extension as examples.
Out of curiosity, I looked up Medaka first week sales starting from volume 10 through the current (vol 15, which was last week), and it's interesting: they go 104k - 92k - 105k - 71k - 69k - 103k. I wonder what caused the drop for vols. 13-14?

Anyway, more relevant to anime discussion (since I doubt volume 15 was affected by the anime at all), volume 16 probably won't be out for a bit, so we'll have to see what happens then.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Sankarea 1

I really liking it. Pretty funny. Can't wait to watch the next one. Why does the main character's hair look like cat ears though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom