• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Much more interesting to me was their shading of hair. First of all, they put a lot of details into the hair, but the really interesting thing here is the shading. The highlights are done with gradients, not something you see every day. Additional to that, they use tons of gradient shading in the first episode on other things too! Lines are generally drawn fairly thick, which I like. Characters still look like they squint all the time with wide opened eyes though.

Gradient hair is done all the time these days, and it usually looks awful. What makes the use of it in Mysterious Girlfriend X different is that it's a combination of gradients and traditionally drawn hair highlights.

wonzo

Banned
HeartCatch PreCure! 3

heartcatch3.jpg

The monster-of-the-week design in this show's already much better thank the pile of shit we get in Smile PreCure known as Akanbe. The heart seed sequences on the other hand...

Rektash

Gradient hair is done all the time these days, and it usually looks awful. What makes the use of it in Mysterious Girlfriend X different is that it's a combination of gradients and traditionally drawn hair highlights.

Well, I guess that only speaks to how much anime I watch these days. Because I haven't noticed that at all.

Another things that slipped my mind last post was noses. The shadowing of the noses looks all kinds of strange to me. They are obviously trying to give faces more depth with that, but I am not sure if it works for me.

Oh! Another thing I forgot are eyebrows. Those look really thick in this one.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
HeartCatch PreCure! 3

The monster-of-the-week design in this show's already much better thank the pile of shit we get in Smile PreCure known as Akanbe. The heart seed sequences on the other hand...
Heh, and the original used "Zakenna". Cute.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Right. I was just pointing out how odd the statement is if you take it literally, as it basically says "He invented drawing less stuff." What he invented were the methods for making anime cheaply, including but not limited to drawing less frames, reusing more materials, and methods and tricks which attempt to disguise all of those cut corners. Which is what you and others actually mean when saying he invented limited animation.
I wouldn't call it a way to mask cutting corners -- it's more like he sort of started the whole movement of using limited animation in a stylized manner (rooting from a financial necessity, of course) that suited limited animation, eventually leading to entire animation styles being developed around it.

Joule

Much more interesting to me was their shading of hair. First of all, they put a lot of details into the hair, but the really interesting thing here is the shading. The highlights are done with gradients, not something you see every day. Additional to that, they use tons of gradient shading on other things too in the first episode! Lines are generally drawn fairly thick, which I like. Characters still look like they squint all the time with wide opened eyes though. Wasn't much of a fan of the filter they use for ribbons/pants/school uniforms.

It's been awhile but iirc that should be a carry over from the manga. All the colour pages had that gradient effect on the hair. I don't think gradient hair is that rare nowadays though. The thick lines particularly on the eyes was also another of the features that drew me into the manga. I kind of like the filter because it provides a contrast between those articles of clothing compared to the rest of the outfit.

Branduil

I wouldn't call it a way to mask cutting corners -- it's more like he sort of started the whole movement of using limited animation in a stylized manner (rooting from a financial necessity, of course) that suited limited animation, eventually leading to entire animation styles being developed around it.

Well, you said it yourself, it was rooted from financial necessity. That's why I called it cutting corners, though I don't think limited animation is a bad thing necessarily, and Tezuka did a lot of good in how he legitimized limited animation as an animation style. I mean it could have easily ended up like the cheap crap Hanna Barbara made, or even worse.

^WARNING: extremely ugly and apparently racist American cartoon from the '50s.

Nobody never not needs Jazz! Jazz should be a declared an essential vitamin for your daily life. It's like scientific fact and shit that it makes you live longer and be more awesome.
There are alternatives that are just as good, nonetheless. And by alternatives, I mean old Lupin III music from the first series, most of which was the fabled Lounge that all young adults desire most.

—Oh fuck it.

Ezalc

About 10 hours. Prepare your bodies.

The second and subsequent comings are upon us.

BOY'S LOVE JAZZ

Damn straight.

There are alternatives that are just as good, nonetheless. And by alternatives, I mean old Lupin III music from the first series, most of which was the fabled Lounge that all young adults desire most.

—Oh fuck it.

Release yourself to the Jazz young one. Embrace it.

I really dislike the music of the first Lupin III series. It's cheesy and dated, in a bad way.
In a good way. I just wish that the original tapes were still around, not merely the SFX-enriched stuff they were forced to put on record. Trust me: the world needs more Charlie Kosei. Charlie Kosei, at the age he is now, should be obligated to sing every manly song ever.

In a good way. I just wish that the original tapes were still around, not merely the SFX-enriched stuff they were forced to put on record. Trust me: the world needs more Charlie Kosei. Charlie Kosei, at the age he is now, should be obligated to sing every manly song ever.

I have nothing against Charlie Kosei. The Mononoke OP is great!

duckroll

Eureka 7 AO BDs contain English subs

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-11/eureka-seven-ao-bd-to-have-english-subs-in-japan

Not sure it contains quality though.

Not that surprising, since when Bandai Entertainment shut down, they suggested that this was the route that Bandai was going to take in future, where they have English subs on the BDs and just hope that hardcore fans import instead. Gundam AGE and the upcoming picture book OVA for Code Geass also has English subs. Yamato 2199 does too.

Jex

So I came across Ponyo on BD for like 5 bucks. I always found the movie itself rather underwhelming but it's totally worth it for dat water animation alone.

Oh, easily. If you can kind of just accept Ponyo as an exercise in beautiful animation with a nonsense storyline then it's a fairly enjoyable watch.

For some people, that's asking quite a lot, which is understandable. You expect more from Miyazaki.

Branduil

Oh, easily. If you can kind of just accept Ponyo as an exercise in beautiful animation with a nonsense storyline then it's a fairly enjoyable watch.

For some people, that's asking quite a lot, which is understandable. You expect more from Miyazaki.

Not after Howl's you don't.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think that the tapes are around actually. The Lupin Series 1 BDs sound pretty good.

I think that the tapes are around actually. The Lupin Series 1 BDs sound pretty good.
IIRC, the actual instrumental tapes are missing or, more likely, were written over to conserve storage (a la Doctor Who). The officially-released album with all of the music on it had a bunch of SFX flittered throughout each track, which is disappointing.

duckroll

Hmmm... the case art for the E7AO BD is by Kenichi Yoshida and Shiho Takeuchi. I wonder if that implies Takeuchi is contributing heavily to the mechanical design/direction of the show like Eiji Nakata did for E7...

Risette

A Good Citizen
IIRC, the actual instrumental tapes are missing or, more likely, were written over to conserve storage (a la Doctor Who). The officially-released album with all of the music on it had a bunch of SFX flittered throughout each track, which is disappointing.
I see. I guess they still managed to make a new nice sounding soundmix for the show with such materials since, well, the effects are part of the show. That's pretty lame re: the OST though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Hmmm... the case art for the E7AO BD is by Kenichi Yoshida and Shiho Takeuchi. I wonder if that implies Takeuchi is contributing heavily to the mechanical design/direction of the show like Eiji Nakata did for E7...
Nakata had a main animator credit tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom