• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Cudder

while this 'works' to make a CD function again, I've seen the end result, and wouldn't recommend it on a phone

Yeah I've heard of it ruining phone displays, I'm not about to go try it out.

I just ordered myself an XO skin, apparently they fill in slight scratches pretty well. Hope it gets here soon. I'm ADD with this shit, I can't stand looking at my Nexus screen anymore lol.

Funny thing is I had bought a screen protector a while ago, used it for like 2 weeks, thought "Fuck it, I've never used one before and my previous phones were fine." so I took it off, and lo and behold, I get a scratch.

Is there any way to increase the volume past what the phone says the max is? Can you make the vibration stronger?

I'm kind of surprised how weak the vibrating is compared to my old blackberry, same with the volume

Was using a metal-hard plastic hybrid case for my Nexus, and weird things started happening:

GPS would not locate.
Calls kept on dropping.
Random freezing and reboots.
Twice I got weird colors and patterns on my screen, something similar to a BSOD.

Removed the case and it's working fine ever since. Any ideas how a plastic case could cause all this?

i92205.jpg

Zeppu

Was using an metal-hard plastic hybrid case for my Nexus, and weird things started happening:

GPS would not locate.
Calls kept on dropping.
Twice I got weird colors and patterns on my screen, something similar to a BSOD.

Removed the case and it's working fine ever since. Any ideas how a plastic case could cause all this?

i92205.jpg

Beiber's phone? Do notifications light up in fuchsia?

gcubed

welp, my screen has seen better days. It fell and hit a corner, chipped out and has cracks all over it. New one on the way. I just hate dealing with resetting everything up. I wish Google stored your home screen setups as well

Menelaus

Banned
welp, my screen has seen better days. It fell and hit a corner, chipped out and has cracks all over it. New one on the way. I just hate dealing with resetting everything up. I wish Google stored your home screen setups as well

Use the supplied backup tool in ICS that'll kick a backup file to your desktop via USB.

gcubed

Circle T

Just throwing this out there. Saw a mention of it on AndroidPolice the other day, and with all this talk of backup, thought it might be of use. I've never used the app personally, but it seems to do a pretty awesome job. Setup app, link it to your DropBox, and that's pretty much it. Maybe try that for app backups??

DataSync

Video of it in action...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2qmLP8qLQ

reKon

Banned
Just throwing this out there. Saw a mention of it on AndroidPolice the other day, and with all this talk of backup, thought it might be of use. I've never used the app personally, but it seems to do a pretty awesome job. Setup app, link it to your DropBox, and that's pretty much it. Maybe try that for app backups??

DataSync

Video of it in action...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2qmLP8qLQ

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this multiple times including in the android apps thread...

Apparently I just go ignored =(

The app is amazing though. I use it for cloud saves for when I play games between my tablet and phone.

Circle T

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this multiple times including in the android apps thread...

Apparently I just go ignored =(

The app is amazing though. I use it for cloud saves for when I play games between my tablet and phone.

My apologies. I don't remember it coming up in the threads here. I probably just scanned over the post, since I don't use any apps like that. Didn't mean to ignore you. (PS - Android Apps thread?)

Glad to hear that it IS a good app. It seems like something that would really be useful. Hopefully this "Google Drive", or whatever they're going to call it, will incorporate something like this right into our Google storage space.

Any recommendations on cases or holsters with belt clips?

I think I can live without a screen protector, sounds like a such a scam to me

And I'm sure this questions has been asked every 5 pages =/
Is anyone around to update the OP?

Circle T

all this clamoring for a google icloud is pretty funny

What is funny about it? Like DataSync does, I would just like to have Google store app data and settings. So if I get a new device, or have multiple, they could stay in sync. At that point, as well, broken/stolen/lost devices quickly become a non-issue. A built-in service like that, with DropBox like extra storage, would be very handy.

thespot84

Any recommendations on cases or holsters with belt clips?

I think I can live without a screen protector, sounds like a such a scam to me

And I'm sure this questions has been asked every 5 pages =/
Is anyone around to update the OP?

I've been carrying the phone naked for 5 months now, and to be honest the only thing I would change is that I would get a screen protector, but not a case. (been lazy though)

gcubed

as a warning, asurion had some bad press a few days ago about shipping out phones with the bootloader unlocked, CEO said it was a mistake after lots of complaints... well, FYI, its not fixed, i just got my phone that had the bootloader unlocked.

I refuse to accept a phone with an unlocked bootloader as a replacement device. I dont know what the hell happened with it, and if i had ANY issue with it VZW would laugh you out of the room. I like to make sure everything is kosher before i decide to do that

rozay

Banned
as a warning, asurion had some bad press a few days ago about shipping out phones with the bootloader unlocked, CEO said it was a mistake after lots of complaints... well, FYI, its not fixed, i just got my phone that had the bootloader unlocked.

I refuse to accept a phone with an unlocked bootloader as a replacement device. I dont know what the hell happened with it, and if i had ANY issue with it VZW would laugh you out of the room. I like to make sure everything is kosher before i decide to do that
can't you just wipe and relock it yourself on Samsung phones?

gcubed

can't you just wipe and relock it yourself on Samsung phones?

yeah, but its obvious by the way the phone is and started up that they just slapped it in a case and marked it ready to go because the activation wasn't even there. I don't trust other peoples unlocked bootloaders

reKon

Banned
Wtf, I think that my reception here in my apartment is so bad that choosing to leave wifi on during sleep may actually save a lot more battery than setting it to be on 'only when plugged in'. I will test this out tonight..

If this is the case then wow, the radio on the Verizon Nexus is just extremely mediocre in efficiency and reception strength . Speaking of reception I actually never have issues with dropped calls or hearing people on the other line.

So far this phone is still really great. If I could get one thing changed, it just be a much more battery efficient screen that looks just as great as this one. I want to be getting more than 3 hours of screen time average every 20+ hours of battery life. It would be awesome if they came out with a 2600mah battery that was the same size as the extended one.

Husker86

Wtf, I think that my reception here in my apartment is so bad that choosing to leave wifi on during sleep may actually save a lot more battery than setting it to be on 'only when plugged in'. I will test this out tonight..

If this is the case then wow, the radio on the Verizon Nexus is just extremely mediocre in efficiency and reception strength . Speaking of reception I actually never have issues with dropped calls or hearing people on the other line.

So far this phone is still really great. If I could get one thing changed, it just be a much more battery efficient screen that looks just as great as this one. I want to be getting more than 3 hours of screen time average every 20+ hours of battery life. It would be awesome if they came out with a 2600mah battery that was the same size as the extended one.
Leaving WiFi on will always give better battery life than cell data connection, good reception or bad.

gcubed

The radio definitely is mediocre... are you running 4.0.4 leak ? That radio firmware is supposed to be better

VPhys

Was using a metal-hard plastic hybrid case for my Nexus, and weird things started happening:

GPS would not locate.
Calls kept on dropping.

i92205.jpg

Something to do with metal not allowing certain signals topass through. It's been well documented in the tablet arena with the 4g iPads and transformer prime. It's why apple puts a plastic strip on the top of the iPad.

DXPett1

So my GNex was turning the screen on all by itself yesterday every 1-5 minutes. Couldn't for the life of me work out what it was and it was driving me insane. Finally decided to turn off syncing and when I went into the accounts screen Twitter had a red x next to it. Further investigation finds out the contacts side of Twitter wasn't working correctly. Even after removing my account and doing a full resync it still couldn't successfully sync contacts.

Would have been nice if there were sync faults to come up in the notification bar...

Anyone else's Twitter having trouble syncing contacts?

SimleuqiR

So my GNex was turning the screen on all by itself yesterday every 1-5 minutes. Couldn't for the life of me work out what it was and it was driving me insane. Finally decided to turn off syncing and when I went into the accounts screen Twitter had a red x next to it. Further investigation finds out the contacts side of Twitter wasn't working correctly. Even after removing my account and doing a full resync it still couldn't successfully sync contacts.

Would have been nice if there were sync faults to come up in the notification bar...

Anyone else's Twitter having trouble syncing contacts?

It's been like this for the longest. I think the problem is on Twitter's side.

SimleuqiR

http://androidandme.com/2012/04/sma...ers-for-galaxy-nexus-launching-422-for-199-99

Sprint has just dropped us a note letting us know that the flagship Android 4.0 device, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be coming to the Now Network on April 22nd for $199.99. The Galaxy Nexus will be the second phone to feature support for Sprint’s 4G LTE network, which will be live in a handful of markets by the summer, and will cover some 120 million people by the end of 2012.

Too fucking bad it took this long. I would have jumped on Sprint back in December.
Just wish the next Nexus is release on all USA carriers on day one. I doubt this will ever happen.

Menelaus

Banned
I'm officially done with my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. If anyone is in the market for one, shoot me a PM, it's in mint condition with an extended battery and Diztronic Rev3 case. Currently has 4.0.4 and an unlocked bootloader, but can be returned to stock if need be. Never overclocked.

Smokey

http://androidandme.com/2012/04/sma...ers-for-galaxy-nexus-launching-422-for-199-99

Too fucking bad it took this long. I would have jumped on Sprint back in December.
Just wish the next Nexus is release on all USA carriers on day one. I doubt this will ever happen.

I just got this as well and was coming in here to ask...is it still worth it to get this phone? I've been with Sprint since the day the Evo 4g launched, and I'm still using that phone. Should I jump on this or is there something else right around the corner?

Zeppu

So, um...still no 4.0.4 for me, and I'm finally thinking of unlocking bootloader/rooting/installing a custom rom.

What roms are you guys using?

SimleuqiR

I just got this as well and was coming in here to ask...is it still worth it to get this phone? I've been with Sprint since the day the Evo 4g launched, and I'm still using that phone. Should I jump on this or is there something else right around the corner?

That depends on what you value more - speedy updates (rolls eyes) or the Best Galaxy? Rumors are that the Galaxy S3 is going to be announced soon. Not sure how quickly would that phone be released on Sprint.

So, um...still no 4.0.4 for me, and I'm finally thinking of unlocking bootloader/rooting/installing a custom rom.

What roms are you guys using?

It seems to me that the OTA 4.0.4 has been halted until they figure out that bug that plagued some phones. At this rate we will get an official push sometime in the summer.

Top Bottom