• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorola RAZR |OT| Now With More Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Not gonna lie, Moto surprised me with the specs. 7.1mm is insanely thin. I can live with the hump for that. Super AMOLED was a bit of a surprise, too. As well as that nice battery life.

planar1280 said:
the back is really nice i must admit. its laser engraved Kevlar, nearly impossible to break the back

201110185268.jpg

My iPhone Case is like this. Love it

Rur0ni

*crickets*

So.. picked this phone up today around 11:15. In and out. Like the phone. OG Droid has bit the dust.

I now know what Pentile is. You can see the slight grainy edges... blue shift at angles... not so bad though overall... colors pop, very smooth transitions. Much better than my OG. Screen is big.. I have long fingers so it's not so bad.. but these phones are like two hand devices now. Nice being able to hide/uninstall apps natively. Motorola skin doesn't feel overdone. Phone is very light.. feels weird holding such a light device after the OG. I'll have to see the Galaxy Nexus in person to decide if I want to exchange. But overall I'm happy with my purchase, and as long as ICS comes soon then all is well I think I'm satisfied. Curious what phones will be like in another 2 years, because this makes my old phone legitimately feel old.

Lastly.. those smart actions.. really neat feature. Seems to allow a ton of automation for actions based on location & certain conditions (time of day, events, power).

kehs

Banned
Rur0ni said:
*crickets*

So.. picked this phone up today around 11:15. In and out. Like the phone. OG Droid has bit the dust.

I now know what Pentile is. You can see the slight grainy edges... blue shift at angles... not so bad though overall... colors pop, very smooth transitions. Much better than my OG. Screen is big.. I have long fingers so it's not so bad.. but these phones are like two hand devices now. Nice being able to hide/uninstall apps natively. Motorola skin doesn't feel overdone. Phone is very light.. feels weird holding such a light device after the OG. I'll have to see the Galaxy Nexus in person to decide if I want to exchange. But overall I'm happy with my purchase, and as long as ICS comes soon then all is well I think I'm satisfied. Curious what phones will be like in another 2 years, because this makes my old phone legitimately feel old.

Lastly.. those smart actions.. really neat feature. Seems to allow a ton of automation for actions based on location & certain conditions (time of day, events, power).

Does the hump feel weird in your pocket at all? Considering how thinner the rest of it is?

thirty

Banned
Played with one last week. Love the form factor but the screens on half these new phones bug the shit out of me. It has that weird honeycomb/filtered look is the best way I can describe it. The x didn't have it either but the x2 did. Horrible.

Rur0ni

Copernicus said:
Does the hump feel weird in your pocket at all? Considering how thinner the rest of it is?
Frankly I forget there is even a hump. Thought it may turn me off, but I really don't notice it. Phone is super slim, very light. Such an expensive device doesn't seem like it should be so light... but it doesn't feel flimsy.

kehs

Banned
Rur0ni said:
Frankly I forget there is even a hump. Thought it may turn me off, but I really don't notice it. Phone is super slim, very light. Such an expensive device doesn't seem like it should be so light... but it doesn't feel flimsy.

What phone did you have before?

Jeramii

Banned
VPhys said:
Why did you choose the RAZR over the Nexus?

there are several reasons. i like the way it physically looks. i like the size (fits 100% perfect to my hand, where iPhone is too small.. and the nexus will likely be just barely a little big). 16gb internal storage + microsd storage... and yeah... just stuff like that.

i'm patient for ice cream os.. i think the nexus is physically ugly and the hardware appears to be cheaper build/less sturdy (i've never liked the way any nexus feels. just cheap plastic junk feel).

also. verizon is promoting the razr with 4gb data plan for the price of 2gb. so i'll only be paying $35-40 a month after joining in on my parents family plan (been on my own sprint plan for some time, and was on att for iPhone by myself before then also).

other than that. i don't know much about the nexus. the little bit i have seen looked neat.. but nothing to draw me in.

also. that program on the razr to make it so your phone automatically does things whenever certain triggers set it off is supposed to be awesome (from all reviews i've read). my phone is ordered. but it is getting sent to my parents house. So i won't physically have it in my hand until thanksgiving.

Jeramii

Banned
HammerOfThor said:
Can you take some pics? Maybe comparing it to something else?

i'll take some when i get home. i activated mine today.

fucking shit my phone shocked my hand so bad 2 hours ago. my hand is still feels a pulsating feeling.

i had it plugged in, and i was walking across the carpet on my knees to go grab my laptop when the static of my jeans on the carpet caused the phone to zap me.

VPhys

thirty said:
Played with one last week. Love the form factor but the screens on half these new phones bug the shit out of me. It has that weird honeycomb/filtered look is the best way I can describe it. The x didn't have it either but the x2 did. Horrible.

Glad it wasn't just me. Here's what I posted in the Android OT thread after visiting the Verizon store today:

"Droid RAZR: Terrible screen. Not sure if it's pentile but the screen has a screen door effect. Text on web pages not readable without zooming. Scrolling and zoom in and zoom out on webpages still stutters even with dual core processor. Not impressively thin, didn't feel much thinner than my Droid X.

HTZ Rezound: Thick phone, but the the screen is nice. The screen is comparable to the Retina display but with a larger size. Text was easily legible without zooming."

Jeramii

Banned
VPhys said:
Glad it wasn't just me. Here's what I posted in the Android OT thread after visiting the Verizon store today:

"Droid RAZR: Terrible screen. Not sure if it's pentile but the screen has a screen door effect. Text on web pages not readable without zooming. Scrolling and zoom in and zoom out on webpages still stutters even with dual core processor. Not impressively thin, didn't feel much thinner than my Droid X.

HTZ Rezound: Thick phone, but the the screen is nice. The screen is comparable to the Retina display but with a larger size. Text was easily legible without zooming."

i'm not trying to come off as a fanboy of my new phone. but i don't have this problem. i don't doubt you that you do. but i just physically can't see anything wrong with the screen. i've read both arguments that the screen has that effect or doesn't have that effect.

either way. i'm happy with the phone, my only dislikes... it is top heavy.. as in ALL the weight of the little bit this thing weighs, is in the top. So I worry I have a higher chance of dropping it! and i've never dropped ANY of my smartphones leading back to the launch of the iPhone 1st at launch.

i also hate the fact Tween and Tweet are some of the many words built in to the phones dictionary and aren't removable. I fucking hate those words and it is a little too easy to swype those by mistake. last complaint is that you can't turn off mobile sites. i loved that my evo had an option to view ALL sites in desktop format. you can turn on debugging mode to make it go desktop, but its only a temporary solution, because it will switch back.

when I activated it at the verizon store today, as i was leaving a verizon employee asked me what phone I got. I showed him, and he said AWESOME and said can i show you something? So I followed him over to the display for the razr.

He then pointed out that their giant display of a 5 foot wide razr with funky lights and terminator shit coming out of it fell off the wall. Landed on the display razr, plus a couple near by phones. It completely shattered the two random phones, and the Razr was destroyed from the inside out. The outside looked good as new, not a scratch, dent, chip, or anything. But somehow the insides broke. Haha.

also. I intend to take pics, but my nikons battery is dead. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom