• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known PS1 games you loved back in the day

Legend of Legaia was awesome (though I didn't think it was really lesser known).

Noa was my favorite, the idea of a 12 year old kicking people's asses (Her age was changed in US version to 14 for some reason) was just awesome. Her silly jokes, the stupid dancing in the minigames and the scene where she asks about what pimps are and then proceeds to beat on said pimp = best character. Added on top of that, she did ridiculous damage due to the earliest access to Miracle Arts at like level 30.

neos

1255531-music_2000_cover_large.jpg

I've spent so many hours on this, and all is left is a overdisturbed audio cd record:(

Chalk up another vote for Team Buddies. My friends and I would spend hours playing that game every Thursday night, and this was on my friend's PS3! We should dig it out and play again.

Chalk up another vote for Team Buddies. My friends and I would spend hours playing that game every Thursday night, and this was on my friend's PS3! We should dig it out and play again.

Is Team Buddies on PSN? It really should be, it's a blast. Best Worms+action+strategy hybrid around (with Hogs Of War)

joshwaan

Love the topic I played the crap out of these games back in day gems IMO

Tenchu 1,2
Fear Effect
Nightmare Creatures
Future Cop

Sony what are you doing with PSN... sorry SEN lol where's half these classic game people are listing?

Where the hell is support for PS1 on my Vita it's awaiting this update dammit hehe :p

Yjynx

This one is probably just rare in retrospect, I don't remember it being especially obscure at the time. Nobody ever talks about it these days though.

51DK8UBDUgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Whatever happened to Gex? I put a lot of time into this game as a teenager!
Eretzvaju, also known as Evil Zone. A fighting game with only one attack button? Madness!!!
nrkR6.jpg

Soooo good. Really solid fighting game.
eF0YP.jpg

I don't know why but I spent entire weekends with this.
0k2Gm.jpg

Also, not posting Bishi Bashi since someone already did. Awesome game.
I loved this game but not everyone did:

Koudelka_ntsc-front.jpg
Yeah, I have absolutely no idea what was up with that, lol. I didn't even realize that was on there when I was younger.

Also, adding in some more.

YMfq5.jpg

QgSNy.jpg

Pretty much they were car combat games like Twisted Metal, only they took place in the 1970s. I enjoyed them a lot more. Mind you, my first TM game was 3 which was apparently horrible. I also liked the character designs as well as the car themselves, though it would what you were expect from a game that takes place in the 1970s and a tad bit stereotypical, but it's kinda tongue in cheek in the first place, though the second game got a little weird what with time travel and
monkey
astronauts.
Omega_Boost_Coverart.png

^^^Holy crap, Polyphony Digital made this!?^^^

Also,
Tai Fu: Wrath of the Tiger
Tomba
Einhander
Oh god, Rollcage! How I loved going so fast.

This entire thread is like an unexpected nostalgia bomb for me.

aNksU.jpg

One of the first PS1 games I've played. I didn't actually like it much [tank controls in a platformer fff]. On the other hand, it was one of Phil Hartman's last roles. :(
How did this topic go without mentioning this?

Tomba!%20%5BU%5D%20%5BSCUS-94236%5D-front.jpg

I loved Tomba because of its rich 2-D graphics for its time and its platforming.
saiyukijourneywest_box.jpg

used to play the SH*T outta these back in the day......*sigh* ps1 was and still is the greatest rpg console to date in my opinion......
That is a woman, she is just buff

Here are 2 more you guys did not mention:

197100_42004_front.jpg

Destrega

Ape_Escape_North_American_Cover.jpg

This game was awesome, it was the first game to feature dual analog controls and you capture monkeys using a light sab- err "stun club" a time net and a hula hoop. And Specter Boxing was the best mini game EVER.

This thread is awesome! so many nostalgia......

I own some of this game while others played it at friend's house. Wonder how some of them doing....

How many of you play Punky Skunk?

The whole class is discussing this game (how to date karen, what gift, secret event) aaah good memories

BHK3

Banned
Lemme tell you guys about a man named...

This was a very fun top down platformer game. You and your sister would fight off monsters as Swagmans demons have caused your parents to eternally sleep and turned your house into your worst nightmare. But, since the house is filled with dream elements, you and your sister can transform into different forms to fight off the horrible creatures of Swagmans domain. There's also some random fairy you have to rescue and stuff. The cutscenes were horrible but the artstyle and graphics were great and the soundtrack was fucking GREAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq9EML_u7NA

I don't think you understand how fucking good the music is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LymOQ5aayYA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=B9eNZetOAVY

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
LEGAIA!

has anyone replayed this lately? is it still pretty good? i used to stay up until 2 in the morning on school nights when i was a teenager playing it.

Soooooooooo glad Rollcage was mentioned. Game was crack. Another great racing game that I wasted a ton of time on was Desctruction Derby.

Also has Colony wars been mentioned? It had to have been right?

SadAli

Neo Member
I love this game, but the last level is absolute murder.

Yeah I loved Incredible Crisis but I think we ended up having to do the last level two player - one person on controls and one person button pressing? All I remember now is that it was a world of pain compared to the rest of the game.

Also plus one to Super Bishi Bashi - was a random pick up and resulted in a lot of fun both gameplay and actually laugh out loud moments.

Not sure how well known this is these days?

478100_19820_front.jpg

Actually a really fun puzzle game with a nice learning curve and some decent graphics.

Ranger X

Even if it was filled with some very bad exploits, if you were playing it without using them the game was fantastic. One of my favorite SRPG ever, a double story that could be seen through 2 different characters and a game where you craft everything from your weapons, to your spells and even your monster compagions.

20148_1307046199.jpg

Excellent and hard platformer. This is a pure gem.

15821-500m.jpg

7threst

Even if it was filled with some very bad exploits, if you were playing it without using them the game was fantastic. One of my favorite SRPG ever, a double story that could be seen through 2 different characters and a game where you craft everything from your weapons, to your spells and even your monster compagions.

20148_1307046199.jpg

Is this art made by the same guy who does the Final Fantasy art? Because it's pretty similar:

QqHv9.jpg

is there anywhere online that one can obtain new PS1 games still? is EBAY the only choice? there is quite a few in this thread that i would love to get my hands on.

WCW vs the World. Best wrestling game on the PS1 hands down and nobody ever talks about it. It developed by AKI and is a prequel to the N64 wrestling games like WCW VS NWO, Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy. It was the first game to feature Hollywood Hogan and the roster was large filled with WCW and Japanese wrestlers from NJPW and other orgs, which is something that would never happen these days. I enjoyed this way more than the PS1 Smackdowns and the Acclaim games.

250px-WCW_vs._the_World.jpg

Seik

Banned
X8Qln.jpg

A solid sidescroller in the vein of Donkey Kong County. Except it's HARD AS SHIT. My palms get sweaty as the dickens (pardon my language) after about 5 minutes in the later stages. Cool music.

This so much, one of the best platformer on this console imo.

The 'beans' video did blown my mind back then, we need more classic, humorous games like this.

Tex117

Banned
Vandal_Hearts_Coverart.png

There were a few games I bought in anticipation of FFVII to scratch my gaming itch. This is one...and it was strangely good.

Beyond the Beyond, flawed and great.

Suikoden 1...though II gets all the love, I is awesome as well.

Wild Arms 1...Greatness.

Colony Wars...underrated...

Top Bottom