• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

If they want it to sell really well, they should put a picture of Mario wearing Batman's costume on the cover. Instant multi-million seller, haha!
mario_batman_by_polan_kaede-d33hqmb.jpg

I feel like the idea has been stolen from somewhere! :p

darthdago

2000 posts over the WE and nothing really new?

- spanish twin page
- no new Wii U info from Nintendo direct
- Ideaman wants to share some information
- BG and HT also want to share information??

Is that all?
Really no news...

abasm

That how we think.

99% of consumers see that and think "oh FUCK 10/10? I gotta buy this shit!"

I thought the splash of red on black and white was pretty tasteful...when it was just a splash.

They dumped the whole damn bucket in there. All of the red.

11redder

Such a bizarro world.

I remember when NoE were the worst part of Nintendo, and now look at them!

Yup, their rise and NOA's fall coincided with my moving to the US this gen. I thought coming here would end my need to import :(

I'm planning to move back to that side of the pond in the next year, so I fully expect NOE and NOA to reverse roles again. My major decision regarding the Wii U rests on whether to get a PAL or NTSC console at launch.

CVG said:
How have you been able to utilise the Wii-U's unique features for Ghost Recon Online?

Our focus has been entirely on delivering a great launch on PC. Achieving that has been an all-hands-on-deck effort for the team this year. We're looking forward to seeing what we can do on other platforms like Wii-U once we're on solid ground with the PC launch. So no specific update for now, sorry!

cvg

Oddduck

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1690...re_donor_for_social_mobile_games__analyst.php

Not sure if this is new or old. Article posted today on gamasutra.

With the upcoming launches of next-generation consoles from Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft on the horizon, analysts at Piper Jaffray estimate hardware sales for each console will be down significantly compared to current-gen consoles.

Analysts Michael J. Olson and Andrew D. Connor expect an average decline of 53 percent for software sales in the first 14 months of the next-gen console cycles from the three companies, based on "meetings with industry sources."

The Wii U, which Olson and Connor expect will ship in the fall of this year with a price tag of $299 or greater, is forecast to sell only 35 percent of the volume of the original Wii during its first 14 months, due to "disappointing" hardware specs and competition from the mobile games industry.

Sony's next console will launch during the 2013 holiday season, suggests the analyst firm, and will only sell 50 percent of the volume that the PlayStation 3 managed -- again, due to competition from tablets and smartphones.

Finally, Microsoft's next Xbox will launch in 2014 says Piper Jaffray, and will sell only 55 percent of the volume that the Xbox 360 has before it. The firm believes that this will be down to the next Xbox being "an incremental improvement, not a quantum leap" over its predecessor.

"Unfortunately, we do not expect a console refresh to fully offset the secular declines in console gaming," the firm said.

"We believe console gaming will continue to be a time-share donor to social networks, mobile games and tablets. We, therefore, favor companies with increasing exposure to social/mobile gaming, including Zynga and EA."

Penguin

I get that its two different markets...

But does no one see the problem when they talk about disappointing specs... and then the emergence of smart phones and tablets?

Draw Something, Angry birds, Temple Run, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja aren't what I would call graphical showcases, but some of the best known/selling titles on the device.

One day, folks will realize specs don't sell hardware.

HylianTom

Banned
The rest of GAF is under Nintendo Disbelieve Agreement.
That's a large part of what will make this E3 so much fun. They're going to see something convincing, and they have a few ways to deal with it.. they can dwell in denial, troll, implode, go into outright "yeah.. but" attack mode, or come into acceptance.

And I don't speak of just the haters - I speak of the Nintendophiles as well. If Nintendo somehow bombs, we'll see fireworks on that side of the aisle as well.

DrWong

Yeah, it's possible Ghost Recon doesn't make Wii U's launch.
The game is planned to be released end of May for consoles (DS/PSP/PS360) and mid-June for PC. They still have some month to finish it for launch (let's say with a September Wii U launch).

Wow, this is the first developer to actually speak from a standpoint of sane development. "~If we make a good game that could sell on any platform, it's better for the bottom line that if we made a shitty game focusing on features of one platform.~"

2000 posts over the WE and nothing really new?

- spanish twin page
- no new Wii U info from Nintendo direct
- Ideaman wants to share some information
- BG and HT also want to share information??

Is that all?
Really no news...

It's been weak, surely, though there have been some interesting tidbits:

#8164, analysis of warioworld.com traffic (conspicuous peak in April '11)

#8187, "consider [DRC camera face tracking] an official feature that will be present on the Wii U"

#8580, Shane Satterfield (Gametrailers editor-in-chief) claims Wii U launch lineup will be a very positive surprise (specific quote in #8697)

#8592, 3DS will shortly support patches, DLC and folders, so (by assumption) Wii U should have these features more or less out of the box

#8928, IdeaMan notes that third party devs are not aware of a Nintendo-branded hard drive as of mid-April

#8969, Plantronics (headset company) hiring for possible Wii U peripheral development

#9423, IBM Slashes Some Power7 Processor Prices

#9668, Spain/Nintendo/GAF discovered

#9839, Lucas Arts Wii U MMO listed on E3 2012 floor plan (possibly old news)

#10059, Interview with Gaijin Games's Alex Neuse: "I'd like to let you know that we have a Wii U devkit, and while I can't confirm anything at this time, I am winking at you while I write this and shooting you two thumbs up. We are trying our hardest to get a Wii U version together."

#10069, Interview with Senile Team: "That doesn't mean we would never use any of the Wii U's … unique features, but we would probably only use them as an addition to more conservative gameplay mechanics, not as a replacement. We find that the latter tends to make games feel crippled."

#10072: Interview with Telltale Games: "We’re not working on [Wii U downloadable game dev] currently, but that doesn’t mean we wouldn’t do it. It seems like it would be a nice opportunity, so we’ve just gotta kind of watch that a little closer. Getting involved with a launch platform involves a lot, so we’re in the process of figuring that out with Nintendo.

BD1

Banned
Yeah, it's possible Ghost Recon doesn't make Wii U's launch.

Hmm, that's too bad. I was looking forward to Ghost Recon. I was very interested to see how they were going to bring it to Wii U. F2P-digital delivery on Wii U eShop? Full priced retail? Combination of budget retail cost + DLC?

Oddduck

The way I see it is most likely Ubisoft will get every game they can at Wii U's launch before the end of the year. So there's a higher chance of Ghost Recon at launch than a chance of it not being at launch.

HylianTom

Banned
The way I see it is most likely Ubisoft will get every game they can at Wii U's launch before the end of the year. So there's a higher chance of Ghost Recon at launch than a chance of it not being at launch.
Ubi knows firsthand that new Nintendo console shoppers can make their holiday a very cheery one, even with middling software..

darthdago

I get that its two different markets...

But does no one see the problem when they talk about disappointing specs... and then the emergence of smart phones and tablets?

Draw Something, Angry birds, Temple Run, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja aren't what I would call graphical showcases, but some of the best known/selling titles on the device.

One day, folks will realize specs don't sell hardware.

You are right in that case but poorly a minority of "fanboyz" think so.

Analysts predicting disappointing sales because of lower-than-expected tech? lol

Since when did cutting edge tech dictate who runs the shop?

You can't spell analyst without "anal". Of course these people have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. It's analysts.

Oddduck

I'm hoping that a magazine leaks out screenshots of a third party Wii U exclusive next month.

Like when Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids were revealed a month before E3 for Wii.

darthdago

Wow, this is the first developer to actually speak from a standpoint of sane development. "~If we make a good game that could sell on any platform, it's better for the bottom line that if we made a shitty game focusing on features of one platform.~"

It's been weak, surely, though there have been some interesting tidbits:

Thanks very much for diggin that!!
There are some nice things honestly!!

Nice read. Thanks. Also, this :

*Nintendo/Yamauchi's win against stupid farts in the MLB*

Wiinner.

That's amazing, it's right up there with their legal victory against Universal regarding Donkey Kong. I love how Nintendo laid the smack down on powerful and arrogant American companies and didn't let anyone bully them back in the day.

HylianTom

Banned
We didn't know anything about the games for the system. Except for Red Steel two(?) months in advance. :p
We knew about Elebits, Madden, Red Steel, Golf Pangya Revolution, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, Avatar, Spongebob, etc.

That's why I feel this is going to be nintendo's most impressive showing ever.
Same here. Nintendo could conceivably hit us with surprise after surprise after surprise for 75-to-90 minutes. It'd be such an incredible amount of information to process.. GAF would be an absolute madhouse. Naysayers would have no idea which angle to attack through first. Nintendo fans wouldn't know where to start with their wishes and questions. I don't think that this scale of information dump/surprise has ever beempn attempted at E3. This is huge!

HYPE!

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1690...re_donor_for_social_mobile_games__analyst.php

Not sure if this is new or old. Article posted today on gamasutra.

«The Wii U, which Olson and Connor expect will ship in the fall of this year with a price tag of $299 or greater, is forecast to sell only 35 percent of the volume of the original Wii during its first 14 months, due to "disappointing" hardware specs and competition from the mobile games industry.»

Wait, what?

A) The original Wii was substantially supply-constrained for the first 14 (and many more) months. Performance 35% of that would be a little below Gamecube levels*. Frankly, this seems a bit off given the continuing momentum of existing Nintendo software franchises. It would have been better (albeit still terrible) to try to figure out how much Wii's sales demand for the first 14 months were and then take a third of that, even though that's pretty impossible. They're forecasting a nearly dead system despite the market for console gaming having grown markedly since the PS2/GCN/XBX generation.

B) The Wii was far more disappointing in hardware specs for its time than the Wii U. It used an out of date type of gpu (lacking, for instance, modern shaders), whereas the Wii U's is out of the gate not out of date (it pretty much will have all relevant gpu features that the competing future system are expected to have. Moreso, while the Wii was phenomenally slower than the competition from Day One, the Wii U will be the most powerful system on the market for perhaps as much as a year.

C) I can't speak from authority about competition from the mobile games industry, but neither can the analyst here. There's one slightly similar feature between the Wii U and the market segment involving cell phones and tablets, and beyond that the systems are substantially different. This seems to be the case where the system principally caters to the home console market and also extends a small reach into the mobile market. That would seem to suggest an expansion of the relevant markets that the system can appeal to, not a constriction from one market in which the manufacturer was previously dominant into a market in which it is not.

In conclusion: I don't have the answers, and I really can't say how well the system will sell, but the analyst here misses several important points in his single sentence. This may throw off the given projections.

*Gamecube was considered a crushing defeat in a market much smaller than the current one.

I think you guys quickly forget every E3 before this one. Nintendo has always gone for long stretches without any info on a new system. This is nothing new. And don't expect a fanboy E3. It never happens.

There's a side of me that really, really thinks we'll see a Darkstalkers game on Wii U.

Would be a very odd choice, given how there never was a Nintendo system with a Darkstalkers game (as far as I remember) and, most importantly, the style of Darkstalkers (mixing really dark/grim imagery with humorous cartoon art). Not to mention the last "hardcore" fighting game on the Capcom made exclusively for a Nintendo console (Tatsunoko vs. Capcom) bombed.

As much as I'd love to see a Darkstalkers, I doubt it.

BD1

Banned

I invision E3 to be like a GAF gif image. Just Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto mouths flapping and insane amount of game reveals one after another after another in a giant blur of gaming madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom