• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Useless info of the day: Looks like the Wii U CPU is designed for clock speeds ranging from 1 to 4GHz. Doesn't necessarily mean that it'll actually run at 4GHz, of course.

Makes a lot of sense. Being able to increase the clock it probably the most expected way they can gain extra power.

Considering the maximum frequencies of IBM processors older than Power 7 and their current CPU were higher than 4ghz (up to 5ghz and more i think) OR lower, we can assume they really adopted as a start-base their more efficient/lower than 5ghz frequency model to design & custom the Wii U CPU.

I wonder if they will let the TurboCore mode on it, to turn off some cores and boost the frequency of the cores left. Maybe there's some interest for this method in a console, some content could benefit more of increased performances from one core than normal multi-core one.

Wsippel actually eliminated the idea of it having Turbocore early in the first thread.

You know, if you want creative freedom you better do not want to work at either NST or Retro Studios, you won't get it. It was not their decision on what projects they work on and how a game's core will look like.
Thus it's reasonable to leave if you are striving for more freedom. After all, they were lured away by EA; the deal must have looked pretty nice on paper, but with EA's disastrous management this generation, it fell apart and none of Armature's prototypes were realized. The Capcom deal only came after that, so it wasn't anticipated in the first place.
We've all seen that it did not work out as intended, but that's the risk of starting your own business. At Nintendo you may have job security, but if you want to design your own titles, you need to decide between these two sides.

But the thing is, how many people actually get to freely decide what they are making at a whim these days?
There are very few independent companies out there that don't have to bend to a publisher's whim, and few of those get to make the kinds of games that Armeture where trying to make.
I wish them luck, but I still think the entire situation was silly.

Considering that Nintendo wants to take up the "hardcore" gamers, maybe they think releasing a sequel to their first ever published title to receive a "M" rating (I think it was the first) is a way to do that.

what if Nintendo decides to make the first AO game !!!!

DUM DUM DUMMMMMM :p
why there isnt any btw ?? u cant be more "hardcore" than that

BY2K

Membero Americo
what if Nintendo decides to make the first AO game !!!!

DUM DUM DUMMMMMM :p
why there isnt any btw ?? u cant be more "hardcore" than that

From what I understand, stores won't sell AO games. It happened to GTA: San Andreas.

I THINK. I'm not sure.

From what I understand, stores won't sell AO games. It happened to GTA: San Andreas.

I THINK. I'm not sure.

It's an entire thing.
Stores won't stock them. Companies won't license them.
PC is the only place you can have an AO game, because you can sell and make it through non direct channels.

Shiggy

But the thing is, how many people actually get to freely decide what they are making at a whim these days?
There are very few independent companies out there that don't have to bend to a publisher's whim, and few of those get to make the kinds of games that Armeture where trying to make.
I wish them luck, but I still think the entire situation was silly.

We don't know what the EA deal was like. I mean, it sounds like a great opportunity to develop the vision for your project completely alone and with less interference from Nintendo (which often is helpful though, I suppose). If you get the chance to do what you want after various hardcore prototypes were shut down at Nintendo, who wouldn't be tempted to leave? Especially Western developers wanted to produce these high budget high-profile hardcore titles during that time, EA promised them to give them the opportunity to do so.

Edit: I mean, I fully understand your position, but the other side is also reasonable.

I THINK. I'm not sure.

Yeah, an AO rating is basically, "Cut more until you qualify for M." AO games don't sell.

It's an entire thing.
Stores won't stock them. Companies won't license them.
PC is the only place you can have an AO game, because you can sell and make it through non direct channels.

is that the only reason for that ?? that they dont sell ?? is the statistics for people buying games over the age of 21 that low ??

I mean if Nintendo did that, Imagen the meltdowns that will happen,,it certainly will make people think twice about Nintendo "hardcore recruiting" strategy right ?

Edit: and also what I mean by AO title from Nintendo is something like the next gen of eternal darkness (Pure Psycholgical horor) where the game actually might affect you psychologically and would have all sorts of warning and stuff,,,,,,I REALLY enjoyed Silent hill:SM but it disappointed me a bit :/ I hope we get something similar in the future

BY2K

Membero Americo
Thing is, it does look better in motion, but SSFIV 3DS still looks better (and also runs at 60FPS) aside from the backgrounds, maybe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
We don't have AO games because the content required to make an AO game is usually not what a developer actually wants in their game.

tkscz

Same here. They were overhyping MK9 for having 60fps. Now gaf hate it and are comparing MK to 3ds fighters lol

As I pointed out the that thread,

tekken-3d-prime-edition-20110817064118258_640w.jpg

This

Looks much better than

This

is that the only reason for that ?? that they dont sell ?? is the statistics for people buying games over the age of 21 that low ??

I mean if Nintendo did that, Imagen the meltdowns that will happen,,it certainly will make people think twice about Nintendo "hardcore recruiting" strategy right ?

Edit: and also what I mean by AO title from Nintendo is something like the next gen of eternal darkness (Pure Psycholgical horor) where the game actually might affect you psychologically and would have all sorts of warning and stuff,,,,,,I REALLY enjoyed Silent hill:SM but it disappointed me a bit :/ I hope we get something similar in the future

The primary reason there are no AO games isn't because they don't sell. It's because stores WON'T sell them. Pretty much every major retailer refuses to stock them. It's like an NC-17 rating. It's a death stamp.

BurntPork

Banned
As I pointed out the that thread,

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/art...n-3d-prime-edition-20110817064118258_640w.jpg
This

Looks much better than

This

To steer this somewhat on-topic, this shows what an engine that's not properly optimized can do to a game's visuals. It's no wonder that some devs claim that Wii U is weaker when not putting in effort can hold a system back this much.

I'm sure we'll see at least one similarly ugly game for Wii U and the trolls will use it as their podium.

To steer this somewhat on-topic, this shows what an engine that's not properly optimized can do to a game's visuals. It's no wonder that some devs claim that Wii U is weaker when not putting in effort can hold a system back this much.

Luckily, though, Nintendo seems to be taking the initiative this time and optimizing the engines themselves (or rather, optimizing the console for the engines).
At least, for widely used ones.

BurntPork

Banned
Luckily, though, Nintendo seems to be taking the initiative this time and optimizing the engines themselves (or rather, optimizing the console for the engines).
At least, for widely used ones.

And that's the issue. Some in-house ones will suffer. For example, whatever game the studio Arkam works for is making.

Guessing from the trailer, maybe if you preorder ACIII you'll get a figurine that unlocks content via NFC in Rayman Legends?

I'm 18. I think I'm the youngest...
I'm also 18. We are the youngest together!

(Yes as you can see I have fallen behind again...I think I'm gonna skip pages.)

Anywayz: Since everyone eas doing it...a few hours ago...I wanted to say this aswell:

I'm 18 and have been a gamer since like 2. My parents apparantly already had a NES before I was born. Played SMB & Duck Hunt to death on it. Eventually got a SNES and rented mutible games from a video 43 store. Mist nitable is Mario RPG, which I got to the Axem Rangers and the save file died! I am playing it on VC and at "The Gate". I'm almost done but I think I need to grind for like four hours.

Also I remember getting (buying)alot of other games like SMW, DKC1-3, etc.I bought Mario All Stars and since I think it was the first time that I had played SMB2,3,and 2JP, that it became my prefered way to play those games. I also rented Yoshi's Island from that video 43 store and it was magical. Still one of my all time favorites.

Eventually the video 43 store shutdown and they let me buy some of those games for cheap! (Or maybe even gave the to me, can't remember.) I bought MarioRPG (before the save file) Yoshi's Island, and I think a couple other games...

Got a N64 one Christmas had lots of fun with my mom with Mario Party 2 and lots of fun with my dad with Mario Kart 64. Unfortunatly this was probably the last time that they heavely gamed and now they barely play at all...until I gave my mom GBA Yoshi's Island and my old DS Lite. Now she plays it every day since that was her favorite game.

Got a GBA Christmas 2001, everything was sold out but the pink one, which my parents didn't want to give me, but I secretly liked the color so it was cool. Got and replayed SMB2US and eventually got more great games until the Gameboy finally died. I had a two original GBs,Green GBP, and yellow GBC that I gt from various sales beforehand but never got alot of games for them. I probably bought 50 games for GBA across its three iterations. Unfortunatly I sold alit of them, my GBP, and GB games. I just recently rebought a green GBP for Nostalgia. Got new games to go with it. (The Fpinal Fantasy Legend, Solomon's Club, & Tetris. Which I now play on the 3DS.

Got a a GC for Christmas 2002 along with Super amario Sunshine and I think Luigi's Mansion? Inhave such awful memory but deffiantly SMS, probably LM as well. And I had no memory card. It was of course a new concept so I waited to the next game to save, by then I had already gotten 10 sprites in SMS three times. I probably got again, over 50 GC games but I sold some of them, along with DS and Wii games recently. Felt so bad about it that I promised myself thatnI would never sell a video game again. None of my favorite games were sold, tho now I don't have a complete Mario Party Collection...;(

Dunno when, but I also got a silver GBA SP, don't think it was Christmas.

Got the DS on, you guessed it, Christmas 2004. I got SM64 before Chrsitmas acually, it was cool looking at the box and how small the Cartridges were. Had fun and beat SM64DS but never 100% it. Since then I've probably gotten over 70 DS games (Including ten ones I've sold) and I am still getting new ones! Such a awesome series of systems.

The first system that I actually payed for was the Gameboy Micro, I was interested in having something so small to play games so I bought it when we went to another town's Bestbuy. (I don't think they had them in my town's walmart) Awesome system. I played from start to finish Minish Cap. Maybe Drill Dozer aswell. (Not sure if I beat it.) aswell as played several old games. I just recently started playing it again since I got Final Fantasy V Advance. Such a awesome system. I was sad that Nintendo never released a DS Micro.

The Wii, the big one. The first system that I got at launch. Midnight launch. Was so excited for motion controls and Zelda and had extra money saved up and (regretably) went crazy and bought like 5-8 games at launch, componet cords, $40 Wii Ponts, and a classic controller. I played it for atleast 11 hours that day according to the message board and that would not be topped until Skyward Sword came out Bough probably over 50 games and counting. Probably buoght around 100 Download games, which I regret since I have ignored a large amount of them. I guess in the first couple years buying games for $5 or $8 dollars a pop was just so cool...lol...but I now plan to go back and try to beat as many as I can after the Wii U comes out.

DS Lite came out on June 1st. My birthday is June 1st. :) That was so cool even though I found it a few days earlier in a Target...I think...could never go back to the dim DS lights.

Got DSi $ DSi XL on their launches, downloadable games then a huge screen? Yes please! I unfortunatly sold them aswell in my big selling last year. Ugh I regretted it even tho I would never play them again because of the awesome 3DS Activity Log.

Got 3DS on launch with around 8 games. Sold 2 but otherwise, like everything else, I plan to not sell anything anymore. I now have I think 13 retail games, and around 25 or so Downloadable games.(I'm doing it again...no I've pretty much stopped for the last few months.)

And now I await the Wii U. Sorry for lengthy post but just wanted to tell my story. I love the other systems, and own them both aswell as the PSP and iOS,, but nothing even comes close to Nintendo. Nothing ever will. I started at the begining of my life playing Nintendo and will continue until its end.

Ps: Sorry for any misspellings. I'm to lazy to proof read something this long...

Edit: Well since I haven't posted since uts unvealing, Rayman Legends trailer was awesome. I might get it at launch depending on other games.

And that's the issue. Some in-house ones will suffer. For example, whatever game the studio Arkam works for is making.

Yeah, but they can't optimize every single middleware. That would be insane. At some point, studios will have to make a choice. Do the work themselves, or use one of Nintendo's tools.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Looking back over the thread I just saw GameplayWhore's collection of Wii U game ideas. Nice idea for a useful power-up in the roller acing/deathmatch game, HylianTom. Also, GPW's Dimension Hop sounds very brain melting, I like it.

Here's another game concept based around DRC use. Bonus: it's a revival of a dead Nintendo franchise, and it's aimed at the core PS360 audience that didn't feel served by Wii that Nintendo claim they want to win over.

Mach Rider!
What's new this time around is that you can dismount the motorcycle at any time, at which case the game becomes a third person shooter/adventure game. The motorcycle is used to traverse the vast post-apocalyptic landscape separating human camps and Quadrunner strongholds. Vehicular combat is a big focus and Quadrunner ambushes involving numerous enemies tailing and firing on you are common, so the standard unimaginative use of the DRC as a rear view mirror would be very useful in those heated scenarios. Things get interesting when you get off the bike. You can give commands to the cycle via the touch screen while you control Mach Rider with the buttons and sliders. Imagine dismounting your bike in the middle of combat and leaping across the bonnets of cars, or climbing onto trucks like in the freeway chase scene in The Matrix Reloaded. After taking out your targets or causing as much chaos as you had in mind, you could get the bike perfectly positioned so as to leap right onto it from the top of a truck, and then make your escape. The microphone could even be used for optional 'Knight Rider' voice commands for simple tasks. "Stick to my left", "shoot that car", etc.

When you stop in camps and settlements (mostly under Quadrunner rule and in need of liberating) or make an attack on an enemy base, remote control of the bike could be used to orchestrate all sorts of mayhem. For example, if you were planning to attack a building filled with enemies, you could position the bike nearby, dismount it, and draw a course of attack for it to follow on the touch screen. Press a button to initiate the plan, and the Quadrunners' attention will be focused on stopping the bike with onboard guns blazing that just flew in through a window. While they are distracted, charge in through the opposite entrance and go to town with your shotgun.

Or you could leave your motorcycle in an area where enemies are on patrol and then go and hide. Upon spotting it, they would examine it and take it into the nearby base that seemed too heavily fortified and guarded for you to take. You could look inside via the bike's nearby camera and search for a weakness, or even issue a command to start wreaking havoc inside.

A great number of tactics could be made possible with this mechanic.

BurntPork

Banned
Yeah, but they can't optimize every single middleware. That would be insane. At some point, studios will have to make a choice. Do the work themselves, or use one of Nintendo's tools.

I know, and I obviously don't expect them to. However, I expect devs to do their jobs, and things like this show that they often don't.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And because retailers like Walmart and Target wouldn't carry it.

Well yeah, that too. But mostly the content required to seriously earn an AO label is not what people want to make. It's not really 'hardcore' or 'adult' or anything. It's just extremely grotesque and excessive violence, graphic sex/rape themes, and other extreme shit.

Nintendo don't give third parties access to their internally developed engines. Not to my knowledge. Developers will always have Nintendo's resources in terms of documentation and support, but optimisation and programming is up to them.

I wonder what Killer Freaks looks like right now its been a while

I'm very confident that it'll look very good indeed, it should be closer (but not identical obviously lol) to the first trailer in terms of eye candy quality than the pre-Alpha 360 footage we saw at last years E3. It's going to be powered by the LyN engine (as far as I'm aware), the same engine that produced the lighting and visuals for Red Steel 2 and Beyond Good And Evil 2. The LyN engine is a nice piece of kit and I can't wait to see what it can do on next gen hardware.

Shiggy

I'm very confident that it'll look very good indeed, it should be closer (but not identical obviously lol) to the first trailer in terms of eye candy quality than the pre-Alpha 360 footage we saw at last years E3. It's going to be powered by the LyN engine (as far as I'm aware), the same engine that produced the lighting and visuals for Red Steel 2 and Beyond Good And Evil 2. The LyN engine is a nice piece of kit and I can't wait to see what it can do on next gen hardware.

It's Lyn indeed.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'm rooting for Killer Freaks to be great. I love how in a time when every shooter is following Call of Duty, it's looking to Duke Nukem 3D. It has all the essential ingredients: one-liner spouting protagonist taking back his city from aliens, destructible environments and hidden passageways, hip shooting only with no iron sights, a jetpack, and a gun that looks and appears to function very much like Duke 3D's RPG. Hopefully it will be closer to what everyone was hoping for from DNF.
The RTS vs FPS local multiplayer is also very cool.

Penguin

I'm rooting for Killer Freaks to be great. I love how in a time when every shooter is following Call of Duty, it's looking to Duke Nukem 3D. It has all the essential ingredients: one-liner spouting protagonist taking back his city from aliens, destructible environments and hidden passageways, hip shooting only with no iron sights, a jetpack, and a gun that looks and appears to function very much like Duke 3D's RPG. Hopefully it will be closer to what everyone was hoping for from DNF.

I feel like its look is going to be the reason it never takes off.
I think the enemy design is just too goofy to be taken seriously.
Though Halo has the grunts...

Well yeah, that too. But mostly the content required to seriously earn an AO label is not what people want to make. It's not really 'hardcore' or 'adult' or anything. It's just extremely grotesque and excessive violence, graphic sex/rape themes, and other extreme shit.

Nintendo don't give third parties access to their internally developed engines. Not to my knowledge. Developers will always have Nintendo's resources in terms of documentation and support, but optimisation and programming is up to them.

We've had reports that Nintendo is, themselves, optimizing certain engines and sending out the reports to third parties about progress.
This is what I'm referring to. That they are taking popular Middle Ware and making sure it can run full speed.

I feel like its look is going to be the reason it never takes off.
I think the enemy design is just too goofy to be taken seriously.
Though Halo has the grunts...

The Rabbids were 100% place holders. Only put in because the developers were tired of them so they wanted to shoot them. They may still be in the final game. but those are certainly not the main or only enemies.

EatChildren

We've had reports that Nintendo is, themselves, optimizing certain engines and sending out the reports to third parties about progress.
This is what I'm referring to. That they are taking popular Middle Ware and making sure it can run full speed.

That's very interesting, and also very good. Devs could do with launch period support, helping get engines optimised and looking their best.

There are so many ways Killer Freaks can be a unique and fun game. But it's ubisoft so I have zero faith.

Either way when it comes to Nintendo's launch, I'm not looking at any 3rd party games. Nintendo has to convince me to buy it then and there with their games and their games only.

BurntPork

Banned
That's very interesting, and also very good. Devs could do with launch period support, helping get engines optimised and looking their best.

Actually, so far we've only heard about them optimizing middleware like UE3(/4?) and CryEngine 3. We haven't heard about them helping devs optimize in-house engines.

Shiggy

The Rabbids were 100% place holders. Only put in because the developers were tired of them so they wanted to shoot them. They may still be in the final game. but those are certainly not the main or only enemies.

The game started out as a Rabbids FPS after Rabbids Go Home (for Ps3/360), until early 2011 it was even called Killer Rabbids.

Linkhero1

There are so many ways Killer Freaks can be a unique and fun game. But it's ubisoft so I have zero faith.

Either way when it comes to Nintendo's launch, I'm not looking at any 3rd party games. Nintendo has to convince me to buy it then and there with their games and their games only.

I'm thinking the same, but Legends looks so good. Then again I do have a 360 and PS3, so I think Nintendo would have to sell me on the Wii U.

Yeah, an AO rating is basically, "Cut more until you qualify for M." AO games don't sell.

The primary reason there are no AO games isn't because they don't sell. It's because stores WON'T sell them. Pretty much every major retailer refuses to stock them. It's like an NC-17 rating. It's a death stamp.

If only Nintendo had some technological means in place for people to purchase and obtain AO games without requiring stores to stock them…

…

…

They won't.

Well Red Steel 2 proved to me that they can do it. MAN I want a sequel to that game. I'd be fine with even an HD directors cut with more content. That game needs a bigger audience.

Anyway, any news on the Wii U version of 007 Legends?

Roo

Same here, it looks like a fun game.
a few months ago a guy with insider info at the IGN Boards said that KFFOS is a big budget game.
I'm hoping for a graphical showcase and at least a good gameplay. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Ubisoft :p

Shiggy

But they can't have seriously expected Ubisoft to greenlight an M-rated Rabbids game, can they?

They've worked on this prototype for quite some time in order to "refresh" the IP which was meant to heavily rely on its multiplayer accessibility. In the end, Ubisoft noticed that the franchise did not quite fit (obviously). From what I've seen, the visual direction would been more colourful/cuter as a Rabbids title, but those were just concepts, so I'm not sure about it.

Ask Shiggy. He's seen the PR apparently.

LinkedIn stuff only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom