• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

There are so many ways Killer Freaks can be a unique and fun game. But it's ubisoft so I have zero faith.

Either way when it comes to Nintendo's launch, I'm not looking at any 3rd party games. Nintendo has to convince me to buy it then and there with their games and their games only.
I don't know, I can see Nintendo taking a vested interest in certain projects (Like LEGO City Stories) and trying to help as much as they can.
To fill a niche they can't cover.

But they can't have seriously expected Ubisoft to greenlight an M-rated Rabbids game, can they?

Why would it have to be an M-Rated Rabbids game?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A new (at least interesting in the case it's not true) rumor: StreetPass to be available for Wii U thanks to a small pocket device ?

Nintendo had added a very important concept to the gaming industry with Nintendo 3DS's Street Pass feature. Knowing that the guy sitting in the next car of the train you're in, or the kids playing in the park are also gamers on the console of your choice will expand the amount of allies and foes amongst your personal gaming scene. The NFC feature of Nintendo 3DS (Street Pass) will return on Wii U integrated with the Nintendo network according to our source industry source Geno.

Earlier today, the NFC functionality of Wii U was previewed in a leaked Rayman Legends trailer that showed Ubisoft character action figures being migrated into the game by simply sitting them on the Wii U tablet display. We've gotten word that the tablet won't be the only NFC device featured with Wii U. According to Geno, a small device that's comparable to Pokemon's pedometer (seen with Heart Gold and Soul Silver) will accompany Wii U to "Street Pass" gamers everywhere. This small device can be carried inside a pocket or can be clipped upon one's waist. The device currently has no name but 3rd Parties have nicknamed it the "Gamer Card". It's a small low res color LCD device that shows an image of your Mii and a few stats about you. The device will gather the Nintendo Network profiles of the people you come in range with allow you to play games and communicate with them via Wii U. The slogan for the device is "When you walk back from work or school and log into Wii U you will have met new friends and even more enemies."

In comparison, PlayStation Vita features Near you could gather other gamer's PS Network Online IDs however that is another console that has to be purchased. Microsoft doesn't have any portable social gaming device of this nature that would enhance Xbox Live connectivity. This exciting rumor comes with the idea that the future of multiplayer/online gaming will be enhanced by the social interconnectivity of gamers in local range of each other. Nintendo has pioneered the feature and could see their innovations pursued by all console makers -- just as Sony has with PS Vita.

Grain of salt & all. It could be linked to the "social" keyword often used by Iwata yesterday, their intent to mix online/digital with real world/physical aspects, etc.

Edit: I've heard this rumor before. Not the pocket device, but that the Wii U could feature StreetPass. But i thought it was just a cross-feature thanks to 3DS and waited for some precisions since months. Well, if this rumor is true, i understand more now. I think it's a clever idea.

A new (at least interesting in the case it's not true) rumor: StreetPass to be available for Wii U thanks to a small pocket device ?

Grain of salt & all. It could be linked to the "social" keyword often used by Iwata yesterday, their intent to mix online/digital with real world/physical aspects, etc.

So, the theory of actually having a "Game Account Card" could turn out to be true, after all.
This would be amazing.

Hrmm, so it's not the main Lego team? What if it sucks?

Nintendo likely has their own team helping with development. Besides, the handheld games turned out really good, all things considered.

TT Fusion/Embryonic Studios. They made the portable versions of all the Lego games, as well as Lord Aragon's Quest for the PS3/360/Wii.

The lead Wii version of Aragorn's Quest was by Headstrong. TT Fusion just ported that version to PS3, as well as developed the distinct PS2/PSP/DS game.

Linkhero1

I can see it now.

*Reggie walks onto the stage*

"We know Nintendo fans have been wanting something like this for a long, long time. A game full of action, theft, and other illegal activities. Hopefully everyone's body is ready"

*rolls trailer of LGS*

*Reggie comes back out onto the stage*

"But how about for our more mature fanbase?"

*Footage GTA V shown for the first time for the Wii U*

So, the theory of actually having a "Game Account Card" could turn out to be true, after all.
This would be amazing.

That would be really awesome. Everyone has their own game card similar to Tekken in arcades. You basically store all your account information on the go, so no matter where you are you're able to view your account. It will use NFC features to sign you in. This would be amazing.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

That could be huge, especially in Japan.

Would be great if you can interact with someone else's card and then come home, scan the device on the DRC and have them instantly added to the friend list without you having to do a search for their username.

Linkhero1

Co-publishing, I think. They joined relatively late, didn't they? After all, it was supposed to be released last fall already, for other consoles though.

Hm I thought they were fully publishing it themselves from what I recall. Even if it were Co-Published, doesn't it mean it won't appear on other consoles?

I'm genuinely surprised that some of you guys are so optimistic about games like LGS and Killer Freaks. I'm realistically thinking average to above average at best.

The Rabbid games had fps mini-games in them (with plungers, remember?), so it's not altogether unrealistic that Ubi at one point thought it might be interesting to spin-off that part of it. After all, they did make a Rabbids game that wasn't a mini-game collection (a Katamari ripoff… sorta, remember?).

I'm genuinely surprised that some of you guys are so optimistic about games like LGS and Killer Freaks. I realistically thinking average to above average at best.

The Killer Freaks website gives me a lot of hope. Seriously, it looks like a top class effort, at least in terms of marketing, so far.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Well, actually, i've heard this rumor before. Not the pocket device, but that the Wii U could feature StreetPass. But i thought it was just a cross-feature thanks to 3DS and waited for some precisions since months. Well, if this rumor is true, i understand more now :p

Shiggy

Hm I thought they were fully publishing it themselves from what I recall. Even if it were Co-Published, doesn't it mean it won't appear on other consoles?

It's no longer coming out on other consoles, that's true. Nonetheless, originally it was a 2011 release, probably for Wii and DS, with no input by Nintendo. It needs to be seen how much influence they have now during the last 1.5 years of development.

Linkhero1

I'm genuinely surprised that some of you guys are so optimistic about games like LGS and Killer Freaks. I realistically thinking average to above average at best.

Some of the past Lego games were pretty decent, so I can see it being neat. Not sure if it's something I'd buy to be honest. I don't have hopes in Killer Freaks, so I'm keeping my expectations low until I see more.

Personally, I would just love it if Retro's game was a launch title or we get Eternal Darkness 2.

It's no longer coming out on other consoles, that's true. Nonetheless, originally it was a 2011 release, probably for Wii and DS, with no input by Nintendo. It needs to be seen how much influence they have now during the last 1.5 years of development.
Oh I didn't know this. So it started out as a multiplatform title? Sounds like it was in development longer than any previous Lego games.

Bagu

I can see it now.

*Reggie walks onto the stage*

"We know Nintendo fans have been wanting something like this for a long, long time. A game full of action, theft, and other illegal activities. Hopefully everyone's body is ready"

*rolls trailer of LGS*

*Reggie comes back out onto the stage*

"But how about for our more mature fanbase?"

*Footage GTA V shown for the first time for the Wii U*
I kinda, sorta posted a similar idea back in the last thread.

Oddduck

I think your problem with the game is because you don't like the concept of it more than anything else.

I'm not saying the game will be AAA quality, but one years worth of development time can change so much.

New varieties of enemies.
New locations.
New features.
Better graphics.
New online modes.
New ways to use the Wii pad.

So much can happen in a year. This isn't a rushed launch game like Red Steel. This is a game that has had more than enough time to be properly developed.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This rumors sounds extremely believable.

I could totally see Nintendo doing this.
Indeed, it's very in line with their thinking.
Eh, why not. If the game(s) aren't good I won't buy them. No big deal.
Killer Freaks is going to have been in development for a long time by its release and they've presented some interesting ideas.

The Killer Freaks website gives me a lot of hope. Seriously, it looks like a top class effort, at least in terms of marketing, so far.
Don't get me wrong, I like the concept, it's the execution I'm wary of. I think at best it'll hit some notes, but not hit all the notes it needs to be that game we all want it to be in our imaginations.

Some of the past Lego games were pretty decent, so I can see it being neat. Not sure if it's something I'd buy to be honest. I don't have hopes in Killer Freaks, so I'm keeping my expectations low until I see more.

Personally, I would just love it if Retro's game was a launch title or we get Eternal Darkness 2.
To clarify, I'm not saying these games will be BAD, but like you said, "decent" isn't even enough for me to give it much of a look. There's tons of decent games out there. I want GREAT games.

Killer Freaks is going to have been in development for a long time by its release and they've presented some interesting ideas.
Well yeah, like I said, I'm looking for Nintendo to convince me to buy the console, anything else is bonus. But if Nintendo doesn't show up, I don't show up.

Linkhero1

I kinda, sorta posted a similar idea back in the last thread.

I must have missed it, but great minds think alike. Honestly would be nice if they did something along those lines.

To clarify, I'm not saying these games will be BAD, but like you said, "decent" isn't even enough for me to give it much of a look. There's tons of decent games out there. I want GREAT games.

I'm definitely with you on this one. Like I said before in one of my previous posts, I will not be buying a Wii U at launch if they don't have first party titles that I'd actually want to play. I won't be buying one if it were just Wii U _____, Pikmin 3, and NSMB Mii. I mean if they do show some nice third party exclusives that I can't get for my PS3 or 360 then I'll definitely consider getting one at launch regardless of first party titles.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept, it's the execution I'm wary of. I think at best it'll hit some notes, but not hit all the notes it needs to be that game we all want it to be in our imaginations.

Ah, you're talking about the Ubisoft effect. Yes, this is certainly possible in this highly hyped, properly marketed attempt at a first person shooter at launch of a new Nintendo console.

edit: Ubisoft is the reason why I look forward to downloadable demos on Nintendo consoles

Same here, it looks like a fun game.
a few months ago a guy with insider info at the IGN Boards said that KFFOS is a big budget game.
I'm hoping for a graphical showcase and at least a good gameplay. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Ubisoft :p

Personally I'd expect the title to change a ton before release. What we saw last E3 was very, very early.

If they do it right, could be super fun. Cockney Duke Nukem plus Attack th Block crossed with old Orson Welles type stuff is what I'd guess they're targeting here presentation wise.

If they can nail a first person, 5 player Dungeon Keeper as one of the multi modes I'll be super interested.

At the very least, Killer Freaks will have had 2-3x the dev time that Red Steel had, which should help smooth out a lot of the rough edges.

Oddduck

I just don't think people should connect Killer Freaks with how Ubisoft handled Red Steel.

Red Steel had less than 6 months in development time.
They didn't have time to fix bugs, glitches, or errors.
They didn't have time to add an online mode, and Nintendo didn't allow anyone to do online games during the first 6 months of Wii's launch.
They didn't have time to come up with a cool artistic style for the graphics like they later did with Red Steel 2.
They didn't have enough time to understand Wiimote functionality correctly. They even had to ask Retro for advice. They didn't get the controls perfect until Red Steel 2 with wii motion plus.
They were one of the first FPS games to try doing Wiimote controls.

Killer Freaks has the time to fix bugs, glitches, errors.
Killer Freaks has the time to create deep online gameplay.
Killer Freaks looks like its taking advantage of the different types of controllers.
Killer Freaks has the time to make the graphics amazing.

There are so many things that hurt Red Steel, it was amazing.

I don't see Killer Freaks being near the quality of Red Steel.

My best case scenario is buying 2 high quality first party games at launch from Nintendo, and then also picking up AC3 and COD (assuming Treyarch continues to outdo Infinity Ward).

That would be enough to last me months and months and months.

Linkhero1

At the very least, Killer Freaks will have had 2-3x the dev time that Red Steel had, which should help smooth out a lot of the rough edges.

I just don't think people should connect Killer Freaks with how Ubisoft handled Red Steel.

They didn't have time to add an online mode, and Nintendo didn't allow anyone to do online games during the first 6 months of Wii's launch.
They didn't have time to come up with a cool artistic style for the graphics like they later did with Red Steel 2.
They didn't have enough time to understand Wiimote functionality correctly. They even had to ask Retro for advice. They didn't get the controls perfect until Red Steel 2 with wii motion plus.

While all this is true, I'm still wary of their games. I'm glad we'll be getting demos on the Wii U so I can try this out before purchase. I never played RS2 btw after the first one but I've heard many good things.

That pocket device rumor sounds crazy :lol

One thing that would be interesting would be for the newly announced retail DD games. You can take your Game Card there, have them scan in a code with your purchase, and it'll link it to your account, so when you get home, you can download it.

Killer Freaks has the time to fix bugs, glitches, errors.
Killer Freaks has the time to have online gameplay.
Killer Freaks looks like its taking advantage of the different types of controllers.
Killer Freaks has the time to make the graphics amazing.

It's also developed by Ubisoft Montpellier, which has a much stronger track record than Ubisoft Paris (even if their Tintin game wasn't that great).

Edit: I've heard this rumor before. Not the pocket device, but that the Wii U could feature StreetPass. But i thought it was just a cross-feature thanks to 3DS and waited for some precisions since months. Well, if this rumor is true, i understand more now. I think it's a clever idea.

I can easily see this being true it right down to the same street they been going

Linkhero1

One thing that would be interesting would be for the newly announced retail DD games. You can take your Game Card there, have them scan in a code with your purchase, and it'll link it to your account, so when you get home, you can download it.

Nintnedo would be crazy not to do this, though, I can see problems occurring. One scenario would be someone going up to a retail store to buy a game and they have their card scan. When they get home it doesn't download the game because the game card scan didn't work, but the user was charged.

Nintnedo would be crazy not to do this, though, I can see problems occurring. One scenario would be someone going up to a retail store to buy a game and they have their card scan. When they get home it doesn't download the game because the game card scan didn't work, but the user was charged.

Well, that would be no different from how it already works, where sometimes codes don't work.
That is why we have receipts.

Linkhero1

Well, that would be no different from how it already works, where sometimes codes don't work.
That is why we have receipts.
You're correct. I'm always worried about these kinds of scenarios. I think it's a neat idea but if I can already buy the game off the uShop then I'll most likely stick to that unless there are sales at retailers.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
LEGO City Stories I don't think looks bad or boring, but I personally have no interest in LEGO games due to the abysmal dialogue in those games. Killer Freaks from Outer Space I think looks rather ridiculous. The demo at E3 2011 was of course only an alpha version of the game, so it doesn't account for much of what the final product will be. However, I don't like the humor or the enemy design that much and the concept ain't too original, we've seen the (post-apocalyptical) world infested by aliens before, I believe the best most recent example would be Conduit 2 (though it features no satire). Though I suppose if Ubisoft gets its act together and crafts a dynamic multiplayer experience together with good controls and a nice story, it shouldn't see a worse strikethrough than Red Steel anyway.

Speaking about High Voltage Software by the way, I wonder what the status of The Grinder is. Seeing how budget developers such as Funbox Media and Maximum Family Games have gotten their hands on Wii U SDK's, couldn't High Voltage theoretically have something in the works as well? You can say what you want about the quality of their games, but at least they are willing to try new things, they could probably come up with intuitive concepts for Wii U.

Shiggy

Oh I didn't know this. So it started out as a multiplatform title? Sounds like it was in development longer than any previous Lego games.

Exact platforms are unknown, but first rumours of a Lego City game appeared in 2009. It was then revealed in late 2010 for the original Nintendo DS on physical Lego City boxes (cannot find those ads online, sorry).

Indeed, it's very in line with their thinking.

~2 years is not that long, especially not when a new platform is involved. Pre-production was pretty long though.

Rösti;37377449 said:
LEGO City Stories I don't think looks bad or boring, but I personally have no interest in LEGO games due to the abysmal dialogue in those games. Killer Freaks from Outer Space I think looks rather ridiculous. The demo at E3 2011 was of course only an alpha version of the game, so it doesn't account for much of what the final product will be. However, I don't like the humor or the enemy design that much and the concept ain't too original, we've seen the (post-apocalyptical) world infested by aliens before, I believe the best most recent example would be Conduit 2 (though it features no satire). Though I suppose if Ubisoft gets its act together and crafts a dynamic multiplayer experience together with good controls and a nice story, it shouldn't see a worse strikethrough than Red Steel anyway.

Speaking about High Voltage Software by the way, I wonder what the status of The Grinder is. Seeing how budget developers such as Funbox Media and Maximum Family Games have gotten their hands on Wii U SDK's, couldn't High Voltage theoretically have something in the works as well? You can say what you want about the quality of their games, but at least they are willing to try new things, they could probably come up with intuitive concepts for Wii U.
The Grinder is pretty much dead.
Their only game right now, as far as I know, is whatever they're making on the 3DS.

Linkhero1

Not to hurt anyone's feelings but how awesome would it be if Capcom decided to can Mega Man Legends 3 on the 3DS for a Wii U version?
Really doubt it but it would be awesome :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom