• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Gale Network Bullshit: "Star Fox Metroid: Fusion Saga" isn't real (no shit!)

botty

Banned
Maybe Nintendo thinks that if you add up the fans of Star Fox and the fans of Metroid you'll get enough fans for the game to sell well.

Are people forgetting that Metroid takes place in freaky scifi alien world? It stands to reason that the furries of Starfox are no more weird as far as an alien races go than the bugmen space pirates or the flying jellyfish Metroids or the giant birdlike Chozo.

And I'll take anything that goes in the exact opposite direction of Other M. Plus, I like the idea that Samus might beat up Falco, or even better, Slippy.
Don't forget about the Luminoth either. I mean, if the Metroid universe has a planets like Aether, full of stuff like Moth-People (I mean, seriously, just pull up a Luminoth render from Prime 2 and think about what you're looking at for a few seconds), then the Star Fox crew existing isn't such a stretch.

Heck, there's even some commonality in terms of the villains. Just as Andross's true form is a giant floating space-brain thing, so too does Metroid have its own evil brain character, which is also the final boss in numerous entries: Mother Brain. Then, just as Metroid has the Space Pirates, so to were evil anthromorphic reptiles introduced in Star Fox Adventures (of course, that was due to its Dinosaur Planet roots, but nonetheless, for better or worse, it wound up as part of Star Fox).

Of course, not to say that I actually think this is likely, but I don't get why people are acting like something like this is so impossible. I mean, just the fact that stuff like Star Fox Adventures actually exists at all and Nintendo was crazy enough to actually make that game happen instead of just letting Rare make Dinosaur Planet should be enough to give people pause and make them wonder. If Nintendo were crazy enough to do something like that once (though if this does end up being true, hopefully they at least learned enough from Adventures to not repeat that... thing's mistakes, and if anyone can pull that off, it's probably Retro)...

FyreWulff

Don't forget about the Luminoth either. I mean, if the Metroid universe has a planets like Aether, full of stuff like Moth-People (I mean, seriously, just pull up a Luminoth render from Prime 2 and think about what you're looking at for a few seconds), then the Star Fox crew existing isn't such a stretch.

Also, both Samus and the Star Fox team are mercenaries. They do have something in common.

JaseMath

What?!?! Oh wow...I don't know what to think...I'd rather have StarTropics, but this is crazy.

If true, is this the first time two COMPLETELY separate franchises combined like this?

This will only work if Samus teams up with Captain Falcon for some ground based racing missions as well.

Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero? FUCK. YES.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What?!?! Oh wow...I don't know what to think...I'd rather have StarTropics, but this is crazy.

If true, is this the first time two COMPLETELY separate franchises combined like this?
Street Fighter x Tekken

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but holy crap, some of these are terrible. Especially Metroid X Zelda. Sci-fi meets a fantasy world sounds like a good idea, but you can't add one without devaluing the other.

I always saw Metroid as "Sci-fi Fantasy/ Soft Science fiction" when I played the games. So to ME it wouldn't be hard to just brush things away as "oh, that's just tech majiks ...". I do realize that this would be a nightmare to the kinda fans that like to chart out every detail of the world and story in these games though. :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Don't get me wrong. This isn't going to happen.

But considering that it's heavily hinted that F-Zero, Star Fox, and (to a lesser extent) Metroid all exist in the same universe, a crossover between one or all of them wouldn't be completely insane.

What? I'm confused. This is NOT Star Fox/Metroid crossover, right? It just means you play as Fox in a Metroid Prime-like gameplay, right?

If Samus appears in this, it'll be weird, like Muppets in Space starring Samus Aran. I'm pretty sure that's not what it is.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Don't get me wrong. This isn't going to happen.

But considering that it's heavily hinted that F-Zero, Star Fox, and (to a lesser extent) Metroid all exist in the same universe, a crossover between one or all of them wouldn't be completely insane.
In what way is that heavily hinted ? Aside from the Smash Bros effect where every Nintendo game might potentially contain a reference to any other Nintendo game (ie Samus lying in a bed in Mario RPG, Mario pictures appearing in the courtyard of OoT Hyrule castle, etc)

The only reason this would exist is if Nintendo wanted absolute, concrete proof to kill both franchises forever. Destroy any semblance of loyalty and interest remaining from both fan bases, and send the game to die in a market that won't buy it.

Genius, really.

Maybe they could throw in some F-Zero sequences as well and occasionally see a Mother/Earthbound character floating by in space.

The final boss could be Wario!

Oddduck

People are harping too much over the crossover aspect of the game.

They forget how talented Retro is. If they can make a FPS Metroid work, they can make anything work. They have the talent.

And the Wii U will be 10x more powerful graphically than the Wii which makes this game even more exciting to think about what it could look like visually.

Heck, there's even some commonality in terms of the villains. Just as Andross's true form is a giant floating space-brain thing, so too does Metroid have its own evil brain character, which is also the final boss in numerous entries: Mother Brain. Then, just as Metroid has the Space Pirates, so to were evil anthromorphic reptiles introduced in Star Fox Adventures (of course, that was due to its Dinosaur Planet roots, but nonetheless, for better or worse, it wound up as part of Star Fox).

Of course, not to say that I actually think this is likely, but I don't get why people are acting like something like this is so impossible. I mean, just the fact that stuff like Star Fox Adventures actually exists at all and Nintendo was crazy enough to actually make that game happen instead of just letting Rare make Dinosaur Planet should be enough to give people pause and make them wonder. If Nintendo were crazy enough to do something like that once (though if this does end up being true, hopefully they at least learned enough from Adventures to not repeat that... thing's mistakes, and if anyone can pull that off, it's probably Retro)...
In terms of characters and settings I'm sure it's plausible. I think what people are more opposed to is how each series is displayed stylistically speaking. Starfox is a light hearted game that isn't very deep but relies on an addictive arcade structure. Meanwhile Metroid relies on a deep, solitary, long single player structure.

I'm sure Desperate Housewives and The Office could exist in the same universe but it doesn't mean that they should make Desperate Housewives X The Office because it likely wouldn't mesh well with the tone of either series.

Personally if they did make this I'd buy it just out of interest. It sounds like such an insane idea not to see how it turns out. Chances are it would be a mess but it could be brilliant as well.

Yeah, but I really meant AAA franchises...and I don't mean like Sephiroth appearing in Kingdom Hearts or fighting games.
Not exactly two AAA franchises, but there is this recent game (also, as it would happen, involving one of Nintendo's IPs, though the one it's crossed with doesn't belong to them, and really, at least in some ways, this game is an even weirder concept)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Conquest

Plus, I suppose technically there's stuff like Star Fox Adventures as well, which resulted from Nintendo seeing Rare's Dinosaur Planet prototype, thinking the characters looked similar to Star Fox characters, and so deciding to ask Rare to make it a Star Fox game instead of a standalone one.

Pretty crazy and risky rumour. I don't see Nintendo wanting this to be pulled off. Also, I know it's rumoured that Retro is working on it, but the difference between these franchises makes it a little hard to make sure that they work properly. They'll probably end messing up one of either franchises, which IMO would hurt them. Also, it doesn't fit with the rumour of Retro working on a game designed for PS3/360 "hardcore" gamers, which I'm willing to trust more than this.

Nintendo should just do its own version of Avengers with Nintendo characters.
Honestly, this. While watching the movie(pretty good one, by the way), that thought ocurred to me. The Subspace Emissary tried to do so but it's pretty hit-or-miss, for most of us fans it felt a little lacking, while the others either hated it or loved it. Something polished, epic, and fun that represents the essence of each Nintendo world. That's what we need.

MDX

I must say after reading the article, I do think they need to come out with a game like this.
I think these daring ideas are good for the industry, and its the type of game I imagine Nintendo would come out.

When I first heard the concepts behind Excitebots, I was very skeptical, but when you play it, its so much fun.

At any rate, whatever game it ends up being, its in good hands with Retro.

Oddduck

I must say after reading the article, I do think they need to come out with a game like this.
I think these daring ideas are good for the industry, and its the type of game I imagine Nintendo would come out.

When I first heard the concepts behind Excitebots, I was very skeptical, but when you play it, its so much fun.

This.

Retro could do a crossover of Zelda with Fzero, and it would still be an amazing game because Retro is behind it.

Agreed. If this did end up being true, I'd still buy it because everything besides the premise is going to be amazing. Even then, the story may end up surprising us if it's presented the right way.

Buuut, this really can't be true. So. yeah.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
In what way is that heavily hinted ? Aside from the Smash Bros effect where every Nintendo game might potentially contain a reference to any other Nintendo game (ie Samus lying in a bed in Mario RPG, Mario pictures appearing in the courtyard of OoT Hyrule castle, etc)
"Heavily" is an overstatement.

However, the Star Fox craft and the F-Zero racers are both use G-Diffuser technology, there's this weird guy from F-Zero GX, and a couple Star Fox Command endings reference a "G-Zero" race.

Yeah they're just dumb easter eggs.

OR IS THE STAR FOX UNIVERSE JUST A RETELLING OF EVENTS IN THE F-ZERO UNIVERSE WITH ANTHROPOMORPHIC CHARACTERS FOR KIDS?? BUM BUM BUUUUUM!!!

also there's a Galactic Federation in both F-Zero and Metroid

:p

TunaLover

Retro: "We could like make an exciting new IP, in 3rd person view."
Nintendo: "*laughs*. Sorry, you have to work with already proven franchises, how about to make another Metroid?"
Retro: "In the studio we wish explore with a new franchise instead"
Nintendo: "What about StarFox?"
Retro: "A rail shoter is kinda limiting for the scoope we want"
Nintendo: "So you want make a Metroid x Starfox crossover, you got it guys!"
Retro: "We... oh... it could be... so... cool?"
Nintendo: "Do it"

I do trust in Retro's talent, but I think both games could be much stronger and sell better if they were made separately, a new Metroid Prime and Star Fox game for Wii U.

In terms of characters and settings I'm sure it's plausible. I think what people are more opposed to is how each series is displayed stylistically speaking. Starfox is a light hearted game that isn't very deep but relies on an addictive arcade structure. Meanwhile Metroid relies on a deep, solitary, long single player structure.

I'm sure Desperate Housewives and The Office could exist in the same universe but it doesn't mean that they should make Desperate Housewives X The Office because it likely wouldn't mesh well with the tone of either series.

Personally if they did make this I'd buy it just out of interest. It sounds like such an insane idea not to see how it turns out. Chances are it would be a mess but it could be brilliant as well.
Of course. Naturally, them being able to be put together doesn't mean that they should be. Perfect example of that: Star Fox Adventures. Yeah, forcing Star Fox and Dinosaur Planet together just because some of the characters looked similar and such wasn't exactly one of the best ideas Nintendo has ever had, to say the least... And that's pretty much why, like I said, I don't think this is actually likely at all due to how crazy it is. Just saying that even so though, with how it actually wound up that we're seriously getting stuff like this:
3KFTN.png

And that it's not even some crazy thing from the 90's or something, but something that came out/is going to come out (depending on region) this year, that despite how unlikely it is, I wouldn't completely write it off either. If Nintendo was crazy enough to let Star Fox Adventures happen it the past, is still crazy enough to let stuff like Pokemon Conquest/Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition exist now (especially since, though I'm not really familiar with the Nobunaga's Ambition series, but from what I understand I believe it would have some of those similar combining serious/not serious worlds problems that this game would have), then, despite how unlikely it is, at this point, I can't say I'd be entirely surprised if something like this actually does end up happening or was an idea that Nintendo and Retro were actually tossing around at some point either.

I would love for Nintendo to establish that all of it's games take place in the same universe. It's so fucking crazy. Let's do it.

I would love for Nintendo to establish that all of it's games take place in the same universe. It's so fucking crazy. Let's do it.

I don't even know how they would. It'd be fucking insane. Remember when Rosalina rebooted the universe? How about the Triforce: Bowser would forget about all about Peach in a flash if he learned about that. Why don't the Space Pirates just steal Lylat Army tech and build a replica Great Fox ship?

Of course. Naturally, them being able to be put together doesn't mean that they should be. Perfect example of that: Star Fox Adventures. Yeah, forcing Star Fox and Dinosaur Planet together just because some of the characters looked similar and such wasn't exactly one of the best ideas Nintendo has ever had, to say the least... And that's pretty much why, like I said, I don't think this is actually likely at all due to how crazy it is. Just saying that even so though, with how it actually wound up that we're seriously getting stuff like this:
3KFTN.png

And that it's not even some crazy thing from the 90's or something, but something that came out/is going to come out (depending on region) this year, that despite how unlikely it is, I wouldn't completely write it off either. If Nintendo was crazy enough to let Star Fox Adventures happen it the past, is still crazy enough to let stuff like Pokemon Conquest/Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition exist now (especially since, though I'm not really familiar with the Nobunaga's Ambition series, but from what I understand I believe it would have some of those similar combining serious/not serious worlds problems that this game would have), then, despite how unlikely it is, at this point, I can't say I'd be entirely surprised if something like this actually does end up happening or was an idea that Nintendo and Retro were actually tossing around at some point either.
I don't think Nobunaga's Ambition and pokemon are as hugely different as Star Fox and Metroid(not too mention Pokemon has been crossed over with tons of different styles of gameplay and settings) is but your point does stand with Adventures.

Too late Viridi already confirmed that Metroid and Kid Icarus are in two completely different universes.

Platy

Yeah, but I really meant AAA franchises...and I don't mean like Sephiroth appearing in Kingdom Hearts or fighting games.

Those games were AAA franchises when that game was released.

Only bigger franchieses were first party .. like ... Sonic and Mario
At the Olympic Games

It is not like most of Nintendo games have the seriousness like Fire Emblem to stop that from happening.

Wich is what I love the most of Nintendo games, they are so crazy ... because they ARE games and just games.

Don't know what the problem is. It's Retro. Not only are the MP games amazing, but them working on Star Fox, too? If they can prove everyone wrong, then I'm in.

"Heavily" is an overstatement.

However, the Star Fox craft and the F-Zero racers are both use G-Diffuser technology, there's this weird guy from F-Zero GX, and a couple Star Fox Command endings reference a "G-Zero" race.

Yeah they're just dumb easter eggs.

OR IS THE STAR FOX UNIVERSE JUST A RETELLING OF EVENTS IN THE F-ZERO UNIVERSE WITH ANTHROPOMORPHIC CHARACTERS FOR KIDS?? BUM BUM BUUUUUM!!!

also there's a Galactic Federation in both F-Zero and Metroid

:p

Don't forget that Octoman from F-Zero actually appears in Star Fox Command as one of Anglar's henchmen, piloting the Deep Claw and everything.

I'd say that's a pretty big hint.

TDLink

This sounds awesome. I love both franchises as well as retro. Why wouldn't this work? If this is real I'll absolutely buy it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If this turns out to be real, they better not fuck it up. I know Retro has an amazing track record, but this sounds like such a terrible idea.

Top Bottom