• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Gale Network Bullshit: "Star Fox Metroid: Fusion Saga" isn't real (no shit!)

Kjellson

While this is an awful idea, I would actually love a Nintendo All-Stars game (or just Mario x Zelda) with the same humerous writing style as the Paper Mario games.

I just think it's sad that Nintendo doesn't trust the Star Fox brand enough to let it have an all new console game, and it has to be a crossover with Metroid to make any money

Platy

I don't think Nobunaga's Ambition and pokemon are as hugely different as Star Fox and Metroid(not too mention Pokemon has been crossed over with tons of different styles of gameplay and settings) is but your point does stand with Adventures.

...what ????

Star fox and Metroid are about space bounty hunters ... Nobunaga is feudal japan while Pokemon is fantasy alternate reality japan.

And pokemon being crossed with a tons of settings ??? HOW ?
Star fox also had lots of different styles like strategy and Battlefield elements.

_woLf

I just think it's sad that Nintendo doesn't trust the Star Fox brand enough to let it have an all new console game, and it has to be a crossover with Metroid to make any money

This is exactly what I'm thinking. :(

It also makes me think Nintendo's mentality with the "hardcore gamers" "we're too lazy to commit to two core audiences for our hardcore gamers, so let's just combine them to get them out of the way"

piteru

Banned
mixed feelings.i never had problems for easte-egg type of appearances between nintendo games but this?
on the other hand,if retro is behind this,i fear not

This is exactly what I'm thinking. :(

It also makes me think Nintendo's mentality with the "hardcore gamers" "we're too lazy to commit to two core audiences for our hardcore gamers, so let's just combine them to get them out of the way"

Trying something different is lazy now?

Neiteio

This could very well be fake, but a Metroid/Star Fox crossover COULD work.

- Simply make it non-canon to either franchise
- Find some "middle ground" tone/aesthetic between the grit of Metroid and the whimsy of Star Fox
- Pacing, pacing, pacing

I'm curious, how successful was Star Fox Adventures? That game mixed two types, on-foot adventuring with bits of on-rails shooting here and there. This rumor sounds like a more balanced version of that, with more Arwing battles in space to balance out the ground portion, in this case Prime-style stints as Samus on the surface. Perhaps that's where Nintendo sees the potential.

But as others mentioned, maybe Nintendo sees these two franchises as a few fries short of a Happy Meal by themselves -- but together, Fox and Samus side by side, it's something with stronger allure to the average consumer. It certainly gives the game more star power.

As a non-canonical spin-off thematically adjusted to accomodate both game worlds, and as a title with gameplay well-paced so one style of gameplay keeps the other fresh, I could see this being an amazing game.

Who knows if it's real, though.

Sounds terrible. It can only work if they make the Starfox cast human.

Why?

Space Pirates are insectoid. Kraid and Ridley are terrible, sentient, monsters. Metroids are space jelly fish. Chozo were giant bird like beings.

Fox and Rabbit people isn't a big leap.

The only thing I want out of this is StarFox like levels and flight in the Metroid universe.

Neiteio

They could also use wormholes as a plot device: a rip in the fabric of space-time, allowing elements from the Star Fox dimension to spill over into Samus' universe.

There you go. Species consistency solved.

Neiteio

This idea is really only as awful as your imagination's ability to conceive it. It's all in the premise, the pacing, the execution, the tone, all of which could be adjusted to honor both franchises while feeling inconsistent to neither. I'm hoping Nintendo will really surprise us at E3, and this game would certainly do just that.

Also, I hope you guys read the full rumor, which has more detail than what's in the OP.

Hmmmmmmm while this is lol random as hell, i want it , very interesting mash up, But why couldn't the star fox team just shoot from the sky to help Samus.

I think a mission with Samus flying her ship with the arwings fighting Ridley and Andross would be :OOOOOOOOO mind blowing

I'm ready for all these games,

Brannon

A Captain N game where he jumps from universe to universe to make right what once went wrong sounds awesome but would probably end up more awesome.

Fixed. Also the Quantum Leap theme is stuck in your head. Unless you're a young one. Then screw you for missing one of the best shows ever; go watch it now!

Neiteio

An Arwing mission where you dog-fight Ridley does sound like something we as human civilization are obligated to create now that the idea has been articulated on the Internet.

Raide

Cannot see why they are mixing the two? Do they not think the words of both of them have enough in them to stand alone? Where does Space Bounty-hunter and talking Animals fit together?

.la1n

This is what I wake up to today? A fanfic game coming to life. This is awful no matter how you look at it. If Other M didn't seal the grave over Samus then this surely will.

MisterHero

Cannot see why they are mixing the two? Do they not think the words of both of them have enough in them to stand alone? Where does Space Bounty-hunter and talking Animals fit together?
They're both mercenaries.

The rumor forgets to mention Captain Falcon

I wouldn't quite say the idea is completely terrible, but I just don't find non-fighting game crossovers to be that great of an idea. Though i will say, if this turns out somehow to be try, i will buy it just because.

You know, at first I didnt mind and the rumour is possibly not true, but now I want this to be true, an not only that, I want the game to be AMAZING and selling more than any Star fox or Metroid alone saving both frachises, making bigger fanbases, and selling in the future good as standalone games again.
I want to see all the meltdowns in this thread saying they are not going to buy it what they are going to say if this game cames an is pretty much perfect.

Something, something, fans criticising retro 1st person metroid before playing, something, something.

If it is true, I can't wait to see all these nay-sayers back tracking when it ends up being one of the best games Retro has ever made.

Yep.

Neiteio

QutWC.jpg

Tomasooie

I can believe this.
Two popular franchises that have been faltering lately.
Leveraging each franchise's respective fanbase to bolster both properties.

But adding anthropomorphic animals to the Metroid canon is disgusting.

Does sound kinda cool, though.

I think some people are mad at the idea of:

1. Retro trying to merge two separate genres
  2. Retro trying to merge two separate game universes
  3. Retro trying to please everyone and pleasing no one.

Are they going to make it a shoot 'em up Metroid? Are they going to make it a land-based Star Fox game? Are they going to combine the two, with bits and pieces of both? Retro's track record is great, so I guess I trust them with this if it's even true. Why not throw F-Zero in there? Isn't
there a James McCloud in F-Zero, anyway?
It wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Throw me in the camp that likes this idea. I think they should take it further and throw in F-Zero and Caption Falcon too. Make it all part of the same universe. F-Zero has already shown us many different alien species/races, and Falcon is a bounty hunter too.

Neiteio

It's worth noting, the rumor makes it sound like it's effectively a full Metroid game and a full Star Fox game on the same disc, sharing an overarching narrative, but as the rumor explains, you can choose to switch between the campaigns at scripted spots, or you can continue playing one campaign all the way through and then play the other all the way through, at which point the two characters meet and proceed from there. Honestly, that's the most fan-fiction-y element of this whole rumor, since it sounds like it would involve so much work, but hey, who knows. Personally, I -really- want to play this game.

Neo Samus

This sound's like an interesting idea that (like some of you have said) could work.

Some of you need to calm down. As I'm reading the (many) negative post about this rumor I ask you this, how many of you were OMGWTF!!!! about Prime being first-person and "ruining a great franchise making it an FPS"?

I know the idea is crazy and very "out there" but a lot of times crazy and "out there" is what's needed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This sounds like the type of rumor Nintendo would put out there so they know who's leaking their stuff. They probably told each Retro employee a different crossover.

The ninjas are already on their way.

This sound's like an interesting idea that (like some of you have said) could work.

Some of you need to calm down. As I'm reading the (many) negative post about this rumor I ask you this, how many of you were OMGWTF!!!! about Prime being first-person and "ruining a great franchise making it an FPS"?

I know the idea is crazy and very "out there" but a lot of times crazy and "out there" is what's needed.

Metroid never really caught my eye until Metroid Prime, TBH. I grew up on Legend of Zelda and Mario.

Neiteio

I hope they retcon Falco as the last surviving Chozo.
This would be awesome.

Exactly. GAF hath no imagination.

Top Bottom