• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What if the crates are full of folding chairs, thumb tacks or mail-order brides for Iwata?

If Iwata is the moon, who's on top of the Clock Tower calling him down?

Also, 2012 is the perfect year for a MM remake, 2012 being the end of the world and all.

Reggie, wearing Yamauchi's Mask.

aBgnI.jpg

Wait what. So I heard there is going to be a separate Wii U "hardware" conference after the official conference?

* For excitable Internet fans of E3 videos, Nintendo will be delivering four important items to your PC: Their E3 conference; a Software Showcase; the low-key megaton producing round table which previously had only been available via media report; and a developer dicussion with a Wii U hardware producer. (keep watch here)

Penguin

What game is everyone playing to take their mind off E3? For me, I've been revisiting Bulletstorm, part of the holy trinity of shooters alongside Vanquish and Kid Icarus Uprising.

I'm tempted to pick up Starhawk and Alan Wake: American Nightmare (PC) as well...

Wait, you're supposed to.. play video games?
I thought you just discussed them on the internet...

Actually in-between games. Maybe folks can help out here. Looking for a good online multi-player game to play with friends, but they are REALLY fickle with their taste.

So suggestions?

Pitbull studio are on the lookout for several experimented people for "their current workload", using Unreal Engine 4, for under NDA projects. Maybe a very very small hint toward the Wii U support in this sentence ?

I think (hope) you mean 'experienced people'?

Rösti;38110043 said:
It's a developer discussion with Wii U hardware producer Katsuya Eguchi. Check out the thread I made about the E3 2012 Nintendo media coverage: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474932

Hey thanks! Very interesting that they would bring the hardware producer on, wonder if they did that with the Wii considering how it was under powered vs. the others.

Sounds like they want to brag about something. Which is a good sign for the hardware.

We will get a wii u version of waggle most likely and all the potential will be unused.

You never played many wii games from 2010 onwards did you. if you did you wouldn't be spouting out a blanket statement about unused potential and as such with the derogatory use of the word waggle

* For excitable Internet fans of E3 videos, Nintendo will be delivering four important items to your PC: Their E3 conference; a Software Showcase; the low-key megaton producing round table which previously had only been available via media report; and a developer dicussion with a Wii U hardware producer. (keep watch here)

In that case i predict 4 hours of blowout info. I also predict tons of meltdowns bannings and thread 7 to last only 7 days.

StevieP

Banned
Oh hey look, Activision/Bungie's FPS MMO is being done for Xbox 360 and Durango, and their second game is being done for the 360, Durango, PS4 and PC.

Third party support, guys.

Neiteio

As I was washing my hot ass in the shower earlier today, I had the most glorious vision of what this rumored Star Fox x Metroid could be like. First, imagine the Metroid Prime bits to have dynamic lighting like the Dead Space games. You know, shifty shadows and all that shit. Now picture the Star Fox bits like Rogue Leader if we'd gotten one this gen. A whizbang Arwing mission here, then cut to first-person exploration as Samus; gain some power-ups, backtrack a bit, beat a boss and get prompted to cut back to Fox or continue as Samus. Keep at it until both sides complete the first half of the game, when they meet, and Samus takes to a ship and Fox hits the ground exploring. Bam!

Now rationally, I still don't believe this rumor, but the more I think about it, it does seem like something Nintendo should do, purists be damned. Aren't the Japanese kinda "meh" on each franchise individually? But they sure love them crossovers, don't they? Layton and Phoenix Wright, Pokemon and Nobunaga's Ambition, this Sega/Capcom/Namco crossover, etc. Put Star Fox and Metroid together and suddenly it' an event, something epic you can't miss.

Plus, from a sheer "how to" standpoint, Retro would essentially be making a Metroid Prime, which they already have great experience doing, and intercutting it with a Star Fox game, which being an arcade shooter is formulaic enough to make. Not saying it's something to sneeze at but the thought process is clear enough. The zippiness of one supplements the thoughtfulness of the other. Would be grand and a graphical showcase set in outer space, no doubt. Alongside Pikmin 3 and, gods of gaming be willing, a new F-Zero, it would be like all of Ninty's bounty hunters are mustered for WiiU.

Oh hey look, Activision/Bungie's FPS MMO is being done for Xbox 360 and Durango, and their second game is being done for the 360, Durango, PS4 and PC.

I love it when a studio breaks away from a company to "do its own thing" and just ends up doing the exact same thing.
Also, I'd be surprised if either of those games make it to market. Just saying.

we discussed this already so you should already know the answer are you trying to be sarcastic or just actually trying to troll?

StevieP

Banned
I love it when a studio breaks away from a company to "do its own thing" and just ends up doing the exact same thing.

No, activision will fund Bungie decently. My point was revolving more around the Wii U being ignored for reasons outside of power. Which will be common.

I Stalk Alone said:
we discussed this already so you should already know the answer are you trying to be sarcastic or just actually trying to troll?

Read above. As for being discussed already, me not visiting the other thread for 1 weekend resulted in missing 7000 posts. This is probably the reason it's being demoted to a community thread.

BY2K

Membero Americo

MMO + Activision.

It might be Bungie, but I'm not expecting much. I think the Wii U can skip this one without trouble.

maintain what I said before. That is one piece of 3rd party news that doesn't bother me because that type of game for me is snoreezz. Also the article makes it seem like the PS3 would be lucky to get it the first one.

Neiteio

That contract stipulating they score at least 90 percent average at GameRankings is unsettling in that it gives the gaming press certain power over the developer in terms of cutting deals for coverage and shit. Or at least, it'd seem like it. Guess it's good for them as an incentive to make quality games, though.

Somnia

Bungie's game will make it to the market, but only 1 with Activision. I don't care what they are working on, but 5 million in 6 months for a mmo style fps probably at full price is going to be tough.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Hey thanks! Very interesting that they would bring the hardware producer on, wonder if they did that with the Wii considering how it was under powered vs. the others.

Sounds like they want to brag about something. Which is a good sign for the hardware.

Actually, some people earlier pointed out that he's from software, Animal Crossing, Wii Sports, etc., but I guess he was part of the team put together to plan and execute project cafe.

Thraktor

The second game isn't due out until 2015. If the Wii U's sold well and developed a healthy user base for FPS games by 2014, they'll hardly ignore the platform on the basis of a contract written up in 2010.

That contract stipulating they score at least 90 percent average at GameRankings is unsettling in that it gives the gaming press certain power over the developer in terms of cutting deals for coverage and shit. Or at least, it'd seem like it. Guess it's good for them as an incentive to make quality games, though.

For what it's worth, Metacritic-based bonuses are very common in the industry. It's the first time I've heard of GameRankings being used, though.

StevieP

Banned
Uh, if it's going to the 360, it's not because of power.

That's exactly what I meant. Power has nothing to do with a publisher deciding the Wii U won't be getting the game. (which, as I mentioned, will be common)

MMO + Activision.

It might be Bungie, but I'm not expecting much. I think the Wii U can skip this one without trouble.

Some single-system owners would not appreciate your sentiment. I own multiple platforms, but not everyone does.

Thraktor said:
The second game isn't due out until 2015. If the Wii U's sold well and developed a healthy user base for FPS games by 2014, they'll hardly ignore the platform on the basis of a contract written up in 2010.

The problem with this line of thinking is that, well... remember how the publishers were "smacking themselves" (lol) for missing the boat with the Wii completely in its launch years? This time, the architecture is similar enough to port content and they're willfully skipping out.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
This isn't even a "very, very small hint" - this is absolutely nothing.

hey, very very small is the key here :p

small = already not really hinting a UE4 Wii U support

so add to that two very, and...

but it's still a possibility and we're in a speculation thread :)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The religion of our lord and savior, E3sus. The E3 Jesus. He rides a bear.

The more I think about the possibilities of twisting the facts and mixing things up with propaganda the more I realize the enormous potential for hilarity!
smiley-laughing009.gif

You could have the word E3 related to an epic mythological battle between the big 3 ancient deities, and there would the usual struggle and consecutive replacement of old gods (sega, atari) with new gods and so forth.
You could introduce the obscure customs during the 30 day period leading up to the sacred days themselves, telling of the mortal heroes that fought for their respective gods. There is just a ton of shit to borrow from!

ElRenoRaven

You do know that first off the WII U didn't exist at all when that contract was made. Also the contract mentions that the first game can be made for other consoles too but that this initial funding was for the Xbox 360 version. As many have noticed since then Bungie has been going out of their way to gather up people with PS3 experience. Hence odds are good the first is also going PS3.

So with that all said there very well could end up being a WII U version. Course I myself doubt the WII U will see it. However since that initial contract was done the WII U came into existance and a lot of things have changed in the gaming world.

No, activision will fund Bungie decently. My point was revolving more around the Wii U being ignored for reasons outside of power. Which will be common.

I think you will find that this was based on power as discussion before the contract was sealed with the devil in 2010 only dealt with a wii that was unscalable to modern engines. So you would assume having no knowledge of a change in nintendo's direction to have a gamecube style generation in balanced power resulting in being able to run modern engines, bungie and activision would not take nintendo into consideration at that time as they would assume Nintendo would go the Wii route rather than the gamecube route in terms of hardware power.

Now that this has changed maybe nintendo will also be part of this equation in the future.

J-Rock

Banned

Sadly true. A lot of them still believe the only demographic that buy Nintendo consoles are kids/moms. Nintendo might be able to change that perception with the Wii U though. We'll see.

wsippel

Banned
hey, very very small is the key here :p

small = already not really hinting a UE4 Wii U support

so add to that two very, and...

but it's still a possibility and we're in a speculation thread :)
That's not how sleuthing works. There's absolutely no connection between Pitbull and Nintendo. No hints. No former partnerships. Not a single member of the team has a history with Nintendo. All there is is a phrase found in pretty much every other job posting. I've seen the post a few days ago, and I'm sure guys like Rösti or Shiggy have seen it as well. It wasn't posted for a reason.

The main problem is that you have some inside knowledge. That also means you have a responsibility. Considering how vague most of the actual information you post is, because you love to tease, everything you post might be misunderstood as inside knowledge (even more so because you love to emphasize your posts, with bolded headlines and such). You really should be more careful about what you post and how you present the information.

DrWong

You do know that first off the WII U didn't exist at all when that contract was made. Also the contract mentions that the first game can be made for other consoles too but that this initial funding was for the Xbox 360 version. As many have noticed since then Bungie has been going out of their way to gather up people with PS3 experience. Hence odds are good the first is also going PS3.

So with that all said there very well could end up being a WII U version. Course I myself doubt the WII U will see it. However since that initial contract was done the WII U came into existance and a lot of things have changed in the gaming world.
Just need an addendum for a Wii U version. This 2010 agreement is useless to speculate about 3rd parties support.

ElRenoRaven

Just need an addendum for a Wii U version. This 2010 agreement is useless to speculate about 3rd parties support.

Exactly. Trying to speculate about 3rd party support for a console that outside maybe some in the R&D division of Nintendo knew about is just beyond stupid. IF they knew then what they knew now I bet a lot of things with that contract would be hugely different.

BlackJace

Even if GTA V is announced for the Wii U, what's going to be the incentive or people to get it versus the PC and the HD Twins?

I feel as though people would say, "Oh good for the Wii U, but I'm getting it on X platform instead."

Thraktor

The problem with this line of thinking is that, well... remember how the publishers were "smacking themselves" (lol) for missing the boat with the Wii completely in its launch years? This time, the architecture is similar enough to port content and they're willfully skipping out.

They would have known almost nothing about the Wii U when writing up the contract, let alone the feasibility of porting. I do agree with you that Nintendo won't get versions of games like these by default, but my point was that this is heavily influenced by how well the console does amongst particular audiences early on. If Nintendo can demonstrate that there's an audience for FPSs on the Wii U in the first year or so, then similar games in following years will come to the system by default. It's all about how Nintendo handles that crucial first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom