• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

Wii U threads are getting tiresome because guys like Ace get permabanned while we have to put up with idiots who show up in every thread and spew the same bullshit that leads to guys like Ace coming in to try and set things right.

Vinci

Danish
Wii U threads are getting tiresome because guys like Ace get permabanned while we have to put up with idiots who show up in every thread and spew the same bullshit that leads to guys like Ace coming in to try and set things right.

Such is life.

snesfreak

Banned
*looks around to make sure no mods are watching*
...exactly...
*slips away in the night*

People assumed that Nintendo wouldn't just overclock the GCN and thought it was basically going to be a slightly cheaper 360.

I forget if I read this somewhere or just assumed it, but I thought Nintendo was working on something more powerful and in the same league as the 360 until around late 2004/early 2005. Then they decided they would simply be the odd weak man out with a very risky controller which would be cost without benefit. So to play it safe they overclocked the GCN and threw some more RAM in it. Could just be something I made up in my head like I said.

Penguin

I don't want to risk getting in trouble in the other thread, but I am shocked.. to a small intent.. that gamers/press/media.. seem to be falling into the same trap as we did this gen with graphics/tech being the end all/be-all of people's interest in gaming.

Like the Wii launched after both the Ps3/360 and was outclassed graphically by both of them.. but somehow.. that... doesn't matter

And this is the gen when the leap in graphics will wow even the most staunch gamer into buying the Durango/Orbis.. It just seems like such a singular way of thinking.

I don't want to risk getting in trouble in the other thread, but I am shocked.. to a small intent.. that gamers/press/media.. seem to be falling into the same trap as we did this gen with graphics/tech being the end all/be-all of people's interest in gaming.

Like the Wii launched after both the Ps3/360 and was outclassed graphically by both of them.. but somehow.. that... doesn't matter

And this is the gen when the leap in graphics will wow even the most staunch gamer into buying the Durango/Orbis.. It just seems like such a singular way of thinking.

And meanwhile budgets inflate to keep up with the growing demands of an increasingly insular market.

antonz

The degree of close mindedness can be rather staggering. Like people saying I already have an iPad why do I want the Wii U ? iPad doesnt have shit on Nintendo when it comes to gaming and to try and claim they are in the same league is retarded.

When you consider the positions some of these people saying this have it becomes easy to see how ignoring the console becomes a realistic choice from studios.

I just sit back and enjoy the show that is the videogames industry.

WhyMe6

If Retro is doing Starfox, personally, I'll be disappointed. Not only do I really not care much for the franchise, but even though it will be a great game conceivably, it won't set the world on fire like a solid new IP would have the potential to.

I guess that's the best word to describe it. It has no potential to be big. It will be a fondly played game that will sell decently but nothing more. IMO, wasted time and talent, in that way.

I disagree with this sentiment. I really think Star Fox could be turned into a massive game. I've always wanted "Star Fox Academy" or something or the sort. According to various Wiki articles, Fox's backstory is already rather fleshed out, so this game is a prequel set in the Cornerian Flight Academy.

Along with his buddies, you undertake various missions based on Arwing, Landmaster, Blue Marine, whatever other vehicles there are, plus on-foot TPS segments set on various planets and locales. These could be a mixture of on-rails, linear and open design. The Academy would also be an open hub world where you could upgrade your vehicles/weapons/equipment (which would have an effect on stats), take on these missions (side/story) and, of course, participate in Persona 3/4 S-Link style character interactions which would have implications when teaming up with others in missions (ala Binary Domain). They'd also have to through in some awesome fan service, too, such as a mission on Dinosaur Planet, or cameos like F-Zero ("A rogue named Black Bull has kidnapped somebody!"), Metroid ("Help the Galactic Federation take down the Space Pirate threat!") or Kirby ("Defeat Marx!"). This could be supported with downloadable quests, ala Monster Hunter.

The scope would be there for both competitive and cooperative online play, too, especially if the engine was masterfully created (unlike Star Fox Assault). Referencing Monster Hunter again, the multiplayer could even be focused on co-operative play, with a whole separate online section with custom characters.

I'm sure there are points I've missed or ideas I've forgotten, but generally that game I've described is, for me, the ideal Star Fox game. If Retro were making something like this, I'd be so damn pleased. I know such a game could also be a new IP, but I think having something not-too-serious like Star Fox would enable them to have a bit of fun with it ala Kid Icarus Uprising.

Instro

This is kind of off topic, but what were the original rumored specs for the revolution at the time that matt C was hyped up before the change?

It was something like a dual core 1.8 Ghz CPU with like 256MB of RAM right? Anyone have that link handy?

Even that would have probably prevented ports this far down the line, right?

What would have prevented ports? Decrease the quality of everything a bit and it would have been no problem. I mean, the PS2 and Xbox were as far or farther apart and ports were done without issue.

They banned a bunch of trolls as well...there just happens to be a lot of trolls lol.

While I believe 2 pad support will be in the system in some form, I have a crazy dream.

For simpler games that could support it like party games or strategy stuff, how awesome would it be if Nintendo released an iOS and android app for tablets that let you use it as a control input for games as a substitute for a upad. You could beam media back and forth maybe.

Again, crazy, but didn't Nintendo hire some people with phone development experience? Its only a matter of time before they move into that space in their own terms.

I don't know if it means anything but it seems the "MARIOSUNSHINE" trademark was about to expire on 31/5/2012...

untitledm8i09.jpg

...but Nintendo applied for a renewal on 15/05/2012.

untitled2maivv.jpg

untitled36sfo8.jpg

(source)

Is this usual practice, I mean trademarks not being used getting renewed?

Old?

Mistle

Yeah, well Mario Sunshine is still their property so they'd want to keep it that way. They'd do it for all their games most likely.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Hey guys, in a minute I'm posting in this thread a draft of the explanation/instructions of that "Bingo" game I've been yammering on about. Later this morning I am going to post it again as a new thread in "Gaming". If you have 5 minutes, please check it out and offer any suggestions to make it more clear.

They were talking about online and he said (paraphrasing because I don't feel like scrubbing through)

"I can't say much, but I can tell you Nintendo has been asking third parties exactly what they wanted. They've basically been saying 'Whatever you need to get your games here, we're ready to do it.' So if EA and Activision want their own portals, like PSN sometimes does, Nintendo will allow them to do it."

I certainly hope that this pans out to the extent we all wish, and I pray that Nintendos Extended hand has been taken by Third Parties, and the reward for us gamers will be fruitful and as exciting as possible.

The bolded is an encouraging aspect that if true, could hopefully be expanded not just to online specific arrangements, but hopefully shared marketing costs (moneyhats) for many highly desired third party titles, to help foster a game buying eco system on the console that isnt targeted to a specific niche, however large that niche may be like the Wii, but more, as Iwata said at last years expo, a 'Wider and Deeper' gaming platform for everyone.

Nintendo has had to know that if they didnt make the effort to get the right games from the beginning for the console it could come out of the gates limping, I just hope that what they have put on the table, whether it be to Take Two for GTA5 and full Rockstar support going forward or Square for Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy and full support going forward, I just hope the Third Parties engaged by Nintendo all obliged and the support actually exists...

Please Nintendo, be talking to other companies besides Ubisoft

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
V3uPm.png

This contest was put together as a way to add fun and hype to Nintendo's already hotly anticipated 2012 E3 Press Conference. What the game is, in a nutshell, is paper Bingo with random numbers replaced with games, people, hardware features and generally cool stuff everyone hopes to see during the press conference. There are 78 of these cool things to look out for during the show. These items are listed with a short explanation at the end of this document. Each player that signs up to play gets three BINGO cards. Each card has a randomly generated 5x5 square grid made up of those 78 items. Everyone's game uses that same list of items, but not every item from the list will be shown on one the player's BINGO cards.

Since there are a few long-shot items and even a couple of nearly impossible "wildcard" items in the list, everybody playing has three sheets/cards to try and make a BINGO pattern. The winning patterns are "straight-lines"; those being any vertical, horizontal, or diagonal lines formed from 5 covered squares. As soon as you make a matching pattern on any of your three sheets, declare "BINGO!" For those playing in-person in the NeoGAF cafeteria, shout it out loud enough for the judges to hear, for everyone else playing the home game, post it on NeoGAF in the thread titled "Checkbox Bingo - Play the Nintendo Press Conference - Win Prizes".

Even if you see other players post "BINGO!", keep playing, as the next five people to get BINGO will receive runner-up prizes. Furthermore, since this is an online game, and we cannot pause the conference to check cards, certification of the winners will take place when the conference is over. Please keep playing through the end of the conference. Copies of everyone's BINGO cards are saved for the judges to review. You do not need to send your card back to us.

This is a pen and paper game. You are supposed to print the sheets out and mark them as you watch the conference.

In the event that one or more people declare "BINGO!" before the 30-minute mark of the press conference, the rules will alter to allow someone to "steal" 1st place and win the Grand Prize. If by the end of the conference anyone gets a BINGO pattern on each of their three cards, they can declare "BINGOx3!" to win that first place spot. The original winner will move to the first runner-up position. No other winning places will be given to follow-on players who get a "BINGOx3"on their cards.

Important. Only what is seen and heard during the Nintendo Press Conference can be used to mark your cards. Nothing outside of the event should be considered, including material from the official Nintendo press site, news reports, or third-party press conferences. For example, if it has been confirmed by a Nintendo press release that a new Mario Paint game is coming to Wii U, but they fail to ever show or mention it during the press conference, you may not check that box. Additionally, if they do show a confirmed game during the press event, you have to wait for the moment it comes up during the show before you can mark your card.

Prizes

GRAND PRIZE: The certified 1st place player will win $50 towards a Wii U preorder.

5 RUNNER-UP PRIZES: Still to be determined, but the players who place 2-6 will win a neat piece of Nintendo swag. The current plan is to get Nintendo themed coffee mugs.

Sounds great, how do I sign up?

Starting sometime Saturday afternoon, I will start sending out the Bingo Cards to people who are interested in playing. The will be a PDF document with the above instructions and rules repeated, your three randomly-generated BINGO cards, and a list of the games, persons, etc. along with an explanation. You can download a sample of this document here:

>> http://checkboxbingo.com/pdf.cfm <<

In order to get you your BINGO cards, I will need you to send me a PM (Private Message) confirming you want to play and giving me an email I can send it to and your username. Please put these on separate lines to make it easy for me to cut and paste. Also, if you have any punctuation, spaces or other characters in your username that are not safe for file-names, please modify your username to be file-name friendly. For example:

Mr. Kitty2@@8 said:
I want play. Sign me up.

steve@microsoft.com
mr_kitty2008

Why the wait? Can't I have my BINGO cards now?

Because I'm not 100% finished putting together the list of BINGO items. I wanted to give people a chance to look over the items I've come up with and make suggestions to improve it. Did I forget some important games? (Actually, I could really use some ideas for 3DS stuff). Are there some things in the list that ought to be left out? Here is the list I'm currently using:

Game
1080° Snowboarding
Bioshock Infinite
Black Ops II
Dead Space 3
Diablo 3
Eternal Darkness Wii U
Excite Bus
F-Zero Wii U
GTA V
Killer Freaks from Outer Space
Lego City Stories
Mach Rider
Mario Paint Wii U
Metroid
Monolith Soft
New Nintendo IP for Wii U
Pikmin
Platinum Games, Inc.
Portal 2
Retro Game
Skyrim
Smash Bros. Trailer
South Park
Star Fox
Super Mario ????
The Legend of Zelda 3DS
Wii U Fit

Marketing
3DS Redesign
'Achievements'
Case Redesign
Facebook
'Gamer Card'
Google Partnership
Launch Date
NetFlix
NFC Toys
Pack-In Game
Pack-In Wiimote
Price
Sales Charts
Starbucks
Twitter
Universal Remote
Wii U OS detailed
Wii U Rebranded

Person
Bill Trinen
Gabe Newell
Joel Mchale
John Carmack
John Riccitiello
Peter Moore
Reginald Fils-Aime
Robin Williams
Satoru Iwata
Scott Moffitt
Shigeru Miyamoto
Shinji Mikami
Tim Schafer
Will Wright
Yves Guillemot

Technology
1080p
Analog Triggers
Built-In Hard Drive
Capacitive Screen
Gigaflops
Stream Your Game
Two Wucs
UE4
USB 3.0
Vitality Sensor
Wii U Upscales GCN & Wii Games

Wild Card
"My body is ready"
Acid Ghost
All 3rd Party Games to be on Rails
Balloon Flight
Iwata Pulls Something from Pocket
Miyamoto in Costume or with Props

Also, pointing out any embarrassing spelling or grammatical mistakes would be appreciated. ;)

Also, I've set up a page where you can view all this same info and test out the results of the random BINGO card:

>> www.checkboxbingo.com <<

Let me know if they look too hard too easy to win. I don't want every third player getting BINGO half way through the event, but neither to I want to go all the way through with only a few people getting a matching pattern (it would look bad on Nintendo's E3).

Linkhero1

Not sure why people are saying the 3DS doesn't need time on stage. They definitely need to show some games for it. I've been bored with the thing as of late and have been only playing Elite Beat Agents. You know what? If they don't announce EBA2, I will riot.

They were talking about online and he said (paraphrasing because I don't feel like scrubbing through)

"I can't say much, but I can tell you Nintendo has been asking third parties exactly what they wanted. They've basically been saying 'Whatever you need to get your games here, we're ready to do it.' So if EA and Activision want their own portals, like PSN sometimes does, Nintendo will allow them to do it."

That's interesting. I wonder if any third party developers turned down their offer and just shunned them.

I disagree with this sentiment. I really think Star Fox could be turned into a massive game. I've always wanted "Star Fox Academy" or something or the sort. According to various Wiki articles, Fox's backstory is already rather fleshed out, so this game is a prequel set in the Cornerian Flight Academy.

Since Retro likes to put in references to Halo in Metroid Prime, I could see a Star Fox game that references Gears of War with a "Search for the hero's father" plot. In addition to a built out game with flight and foot missions ("Story Mode"), there would be a smaller mode reminiscent of classic Star Fox ("Arcade Mode") called "The Last Flight of Star Fox" where you play as the original team (James, Peppy, and Pigma) in their last mission when Pigma betrayed the team and James was lost.

I'm not going to lie, the last thing I want is a bunch of ports, but the one game I would kill for would be Dark Souls: Die Edition or whatever it's called.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Not sure why people are saying the 3DS doesn't need time on stage. They definitely need to show some games for it. I've been bored with the thing as of late and have been only playing Elite Beat Agents. You know what? If they don't announce EBA2, I will riot.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Iwata was very disappointed in sales outside of Japan at his investor's meeting.

Instro

Hm, since we were on the subject of possible racing games coming to the WiiU earlier, what about that supposed racing sim from Lucid Games? The rumor was quite detailed about features iirc, and a competitor to GT and Forza is something sorely missing from Nintendo's profile. Would be a steal considering Lucid was formerly Bizarre Creations.

Personal (Optimistic?) Predictions: (for all of e3, not just the conference)

1st/2nd Party:
3D Mario Wii U (short trailer in sizzle reel, not playable)
NSMB Wii U/Super Mario World 4 (playable, launch or launch window)
NSMB 2 3DS (Interactivity with Wii U game)
Animal Crossing 3DS (release before Christmas for US, official US name [guess: Step Out!])
Wario Ware 3DS (2013)
Wii Sports\Play-style game Wii U (launch/bundle/download code included)
Wii U Fit
FE localization announcement, logo shown only. 2013
Paint app, voice chat, and small mini game or two built into Wii U.
LoZ (3DS, releasing early May 2013)
Lego City Stories
Pokemon Stadium 5 Wii U (launch window. Uses NFC, looks like an uprezzed Wii game)
Paper Mario 3DS (Feb 2013, US. 2012 JPN)
Pikmin 3 Wii U (launch/launch window)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl CG Trailer (shown at software showcase, reveals (at least) one new character)
Luigi's Mansion 3DS (looks more complete than last year, uses circle pad pro)
Mario Kart Wii U CG Trailer (just Mario, Luigi and *maybe* Peach driving on black/Raceway/Peach'sCastle)
Retro's Game
Monolith's game (mostly CG, few second of gameplay)
Ogre Training Officially announced for US. No game play. 2012 release.
One of F-Zero, 1080, Wave Race, Ice-Climbers, Star Tropics, Kirby, Star Fox, or Donkey Kong announced for Wii U and/or 3DS.
At least one 'big' downloadable game 'announced' through their e3 website after the show.
1-2 'surprises' (New Miyamoto IP, New character based IP, collab with big, Western studio, UE4, Mii redesign, etc).

Also 3rd Party:
Sonic Racing-thing for Wii U
Star Wars 1313 Wii U
Killer Freaks looks like Xbox 360 circa 2010-11
Most ports look the same/similar, some look better on close inspections and everyone who hasn't posted regularly in this thread on GAF says they look worse, but say it's a 'meme' and they're only joking.

Elfteiroh

I know some of these are old, sorry. :O
I know a first-party Wii U game in development. Not an obvious one. But something mentioned a few times. Not Mario or Zelda or Pokemon related.

Outside of that you can propose which teams are lined up to release something. I have a pretty good guess of the nature of some of these projects. But there are also some important questions I can not answer.

But. I have mentioned this. And I think it is a very important thing. Dual releases of several big ips with possible connectivity features. We first heard about it with Smash Bros, now it seems like it is happening with New Super Mario Bros, and it may continue with Animal Crossing and other BIG ips.
Hope for Geist. :p It was such a great game.

It would take a special kind of brain fart to release Baten Kaitos as your first game in a generation. A sequel to a rather obscure game from 2 generations ago is what I call the anti-business.
Kid Icarus was a rather obscure game from, like, 4 generations before? And it did well... Ok, it wasn't a launch title, but it was originally intended as such. :/

Uh... The blue in the WiiU logo is the old blue? I'm tempted to call it a fake... :(

V3uPm.png

*SNIP* (really too long to quote)
Oooh! I can't wait! I'm so interested. :D
You'll have to provide a link here when the thread will be done, as I'm still quite bad at navigating NeoGaf outside of this thread. :S
Also... We'll have to post our email in the thread or a PM can do?

Gahiggidy

Oooh! I can't wait! I'm so interested. :D
You'll have to provide a link here when the thread will be done, as I'm still quite bad at navigating NeoGaf outside of this thread. :S
Also... We'll have to post our email in the thread or a PM can do?

I'll accept PM as well.

Actually, I think I will change that email instruction and ask that everyone send their info it via PM. I guess people can be skittish about posting emails on public place where spam-bots can grab them.

Alternately, I could just place all the BINGO documents in a public folder for them to download directly. Though, I 'm not sure I want people to be able to peek at each others cards.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Trailers using the logo with the old shade of blue don't mean a thing, these trailers were most likely cut a month or so ago before Nintendo released the updated look.
*edits video for a living*

Bagu

Hm, since we were on the subject of possible racing games coming to the WiiU earlier, what about that supposed racing sim from Lucid Games? The rumor was quite detailed about features iirc, and a competitor to GT and Forza is something sorely missing from Nintendo's profile. Would be a steal considering Lucid was formerly Bizarre Creations.
Almost certain it means nothing, but, the studio does have its own official Mii.
It can be found on their facebook page, iirc

Elfteiroh

I'll accept PM as well.

Actually, I think I will change that email instruction and ask that everyone send their info it via PM. I guess people can be skittish about posting emails on public place where spam-bots can grab them.

Alternately, I could just place all the BINGO documents in a public folder for them to download directly. Though, I 'm not sure I want people to be able to peek at each others cards.
Yeah, that's why I asked. :p
Thanks for the quick answer by the way. :D
cf12c.gif

To be honest, they could probably make it a great game, but I don't want it. Too many other great possibilities.
Yeah, I know, I just think it's sad that no other games use this quite interesting mechanic.
My tastes in games usually go to the underdogs, so yeah.
Also: Great gif. :p

Trailers using the logo with the old shade of blue don't mean a thing, these trailers were most likely cut a month or so ago before Nintendo released the updated look.
*edits video for a living*
Yeah, this is the only glimmer of hope I have for this trailer... Oh, I'm CERTAIN the game is coming to WiiU. It's just the trailer I'm doubting. But Yeah, I'm probably wrong on this. :p

[EDIT]
You're disappointing GAF!
I posted this like ten minutes ago and it's still the most recent post! Also, Ace have been banned for what? A week? And he's still the sixth person to have posted the most in there!
At this rate, we won't be able to fill this thread before E3. :(

Elfteiroh

Gahiggidy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom