• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryoku

I kinda want one USB 3.0 port but it won't exactly be a deal breaker for me.

The data isn't up-to-date, either. It says 6.2" screen. Wasn't it revealed that the screen was slightly larger now? 6.5", I think, was the best estimate.
Anyways, since they posted this, I don't think the final console will differ from it by much (if at all).

EDIT: Where was this posted?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Even though I'm burn out on the FPS genre. It certainly is bigger than that. Difference between Portal. Bioshock. Half Life. Perfect Dark. Call of Duty. Deus Ex. Resistance. Halo. Metroid Prime. Geist. etc, etc.

Call of Duty is the only one of those I'd consider a modern war themed shooter. I love first person games, and I love shooting, so when I say "modern war themed shooter" I mean "I don't want Retro's Call of Duty/Homefront". Not that I'd expect them to do anything like that, but yeah.

Hey Eat_Children, you're my favorite mod (sincerely). You keep mentioning what you don't want Retro to make, but what would be the ideal project for them, in your eyes?

An action adventure game that is pretty much Metroid Prime 4 without being Metroid Prime 4: relatively non-linear exploration, combat system with bosses, some puzzles, powers/abilities, etc. If not that then Metroid Prime 4. And If not that then DKCR2.

Honestly I'd be happy with them doing nearly anything, but that first person action adventure niche is one Nintendo doesn't have, not with modern Western sensibilities in design, and Retro could fill that gap well.

Btw, Eat_Children, when I was stalking you in the Dear Esther thread I noticed you couldn't make sense of the chemistry symbols but really, if you ask me, that's the main character trying to impose order on the chaos of what happened to him by looking for patterns, etc (speaking here vaguely but too lazy to use tags).

I can get behind that interpretation. Interesting. Thanks.

KevinCow

Banned
The only thing that would really disappoint me from Retro (besides the Star Fox x Metroid nightmare) would be a modern war themed game.

Man. I honestly can't think of anything that would disappoint me more than that. I would actually take the Star Fox x Metroid thing over it.

I feel like Retro's biggest strength is their ability to blend Nintendo ideals with western ideals. DKCR leans more toward the Nintendo than the western, but the Metroid Primes do a great job at blending the best of both worlds. It'd be a shame if Nintendo pushed them more toward the western in an effort to capture the western market.

Judd said something on 8-4 that is perfectly in line with my expectations (hinting at something he knows, not a predicition): Nintendo worked for one to two years with 3rd parties to develop an ecosystem 3rd parties will feel comfortable with, which includes the online infrastructure. It could end up being a complete clusterfuck, but I think it could also end up being the best, most comprehensive online system ever.

Yes, the idea of having Origin, uPlay, CoD Elite, Battle.net, SteamWorks and whatever on a single system sounds like a complete clusterfuck - but it doesn't have to be. Technically, all those systems could be backends with a common frontend, which would be Nintendo Network. The only thing Nintendo would need to do is to provide basic infrastructure - authentication, contacts, messaging and shop, and maybe what Ubisoft hinted at with Ghost Feed. Every publisher can have his own backend, but it'll be completely transparent to the user - a single account, a single login, a single friend list.

So it still sounds consistent to what Nintendo was saying last year?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
wiiuinfo.png

is all of this information already known?
I don't see a magnetometer. Has that been dropped?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
An action adventure game that is pretty much Metroid Prime 4 without being Metroid Prime 4: relatively non-linear exploration, combat system with bosses, some puzzles, powers/abilities, etc. If not that then Metroid Prime 4. And If not that then DKCR2.

Honestly I'd be happy with them doing nearly anything, but that first person action adventure niche is one Nintendo doesn't have, not with modern Western sensibilities in design, and Retro could fill that gap well.

How about something along the lines of Ratchet and Clank from a visual point of view, but with the gameplay of a Metroid X Starfox kind of game?

I like the idea of Retro doing a sort of cartoon sci-fi, based on the two previous styles they have done so well.

Those DKCR levels were so LUSH and gorgeous!

loborzelda

Neo Member
Since it is the 20th anniversary of Mario Kart this year, I wonder if Nintendo might announce something like a Mario Kart: Anniversary Edition that has no new tracks, just 32 classic tracks. It could be a fairly easy game to develop if it was just based on Mario Kart Wii only in HD.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only announcement I care about is the virtual console at this point. Everything else will work itself out at some point, but I gotta know if I need to get my Wii repaired or not.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You mean like being able to transfer previous purchases?

Yep. If it has it great, my Wii can probably last until the fall.

If not, oh well, get a new Wii and transfer that shit.

I won't be too thrilled if it doesn't have "VC BC" but its not a game breaker.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Apparently you can use that black bar on the top of the controller as a sensor strip for the wii remotes. I don't really know what the practical application of that is though...
I don't know either but perhaps they could make a kind of air-stylus with a wiimote camera on the tip. Point it several inches from the screen and sensor strip and move around to draw 3D shapes in the air.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So did anyone listen to Ben Judd's Wii U comments on today's 8-4 Play?

Yep. Nothing too revealing. Just said that all the rumored third party courting was true and that said third party's seemed to be very pleased by the network situation.

Nothing that hasn't been said since last e3 really.

Nope, what did he say?

They were talking about online and he said (paraphrasing because I don't feel like scrubbing through)

"I can't say much, but I can tell you Nintendo has been asking third parties exactly what they wanted. They've basically been saying 'Whatever you need to get your games here, we're ready to do it.' So if EA and Activision want their own portals, like PSN sometimes does, Nintendo will allow them to do it."

Yep. If it has it great, my Wii can probably last until the fall.

If not, oh well, get a new Wii and transfer that shit.

I won't be too thrilled if it doesn't have "VC BC" but its not a game breaker.

After the 3DS transfer I'd be really surprised if it didn't have VC BC. It'd be consumer suicide and horrible PR for their eShop. My main concerns are A) that they announce it at E3 (not so much the conf but hopefully someone will ask Reggie) and B) implement it at launch or VERY close to launch and C) certain titles not being compatible/having the ability to be transferred as was the case with a handful of DSi Ware titles or did those eventually become available to be moved over?

They were talking about online and he said (paraphrasing because I don't feel like scrubbing through)

"I can't say much, but I can tell you Nintendo has been asking third parties exactly what they wanted. They've basically been saying 'Whatever you need to get your games here, we're ready to do it.' So if EA and Activision want their own portals, like PSN sometimes does, Nintendo will allow them to do it."

Interesting. Thanks buddy.

So at worst we're going to get another PSN?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Where are people getting that "Wii U box looks like Wii"? is it because of that Go Nintendo pic? I thought it's fake?

Still not looking forward to having to get an external hard drive. Bah. I get why they went with flash memory, to make the OS quicker and on the fly but still.

Anth0ny

Still not looking forward to having to get an external hard drive. Bah. I get why they went with flash memory, to make the OS quicker and on the fly but still.

I have an extra 250gb hard drive I picked up on boxing day for $30. I dont think ill fill that up for wii u's entire life. Storage is pretty damn cheap nowadays.

Instro

Yeah someone else, wsippel maybe, mentioned this. Definitely sounds we will be seeing everyone's services on the system. Certainly bodes well for support at least, particularly with devs like Valve. It should be rather interesting to see how this plays out. It could work amazingly well if navigation of services is simple, and everything ties back into one account.

I have an extra 250gb hard drive I picked up on boxing day for $30. I dont think ill fill that up for wii u's entire life. Storage is pretty damn cheap nowadays.

Well I wouldn't say cheap, prices are still being severely inflated atm.

Linkhero1

Hmm, so there's a chance that Eminem will be headlining both conferences. Come on, Sony, jump in and make it a trifecta! :D

edit: fixed a typo. Also smashed my thumb by disrespecting a reciprocating saw tonight. Will lose some thumbnail but certainly no thumb. Liking hacksaws more now despite the extra work involved.

Ouch. Get better.

At least E3 is almost here. It shall heal you.

Ouch. Get better.

At least E3 is almost here. It shall heal you.

I hugged about fifty topless girls this past weekend. My healing began before I was even injured. My geodesic dome will be completed on schedule, power tools or no!

(I will need to use a power drill, but the rest can be the hard way)

methodman

Banned
I hugged about fifty topless girls this past weekend. My healing began before I was even injured. My geodesic dome will be completed on schedule, power tools or no!

(I will need to use a power drill, but the rest can be the hard way)

You hugged fifty topless girls last weekend? Damn. Beat me by 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom