• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Multiplayer Media (Spartan Ops & War Games)

Satchel

Banned
Ok i just watched the single player footage in high def.

What the fuck?!

The detail is insane. Skip to 4.18 and you see the lighting cause the details inside your helmet to show!

Then it goes black again when you look back up.

Fuck me 343, amazing attention to detail.

Damn, the sound effects are sucking pretty hard right now. Sound like toy guns again ala HALO 2. Hog too. Speaking of HALO 2, the grenades seem to be super nerfed again. Gimme my explosions back.

Vire

That was the Hornet, the Falcon is the one from Reach.

Spartan Op maps are not MP maps, apparently new spaces for the mode.

Ah that's right, I got it mixed up. Hehe, I actually like the Hornet more but all the same.

Also cool stuff on the Spartan Ops front.

I have a bad feeling about that Sticky Detonator pistol. Seems like every kill would feel cheap.

no different than a rocket, or better yet a plasma grenade. i assume it explodes in 5 secs if not detonated. i hope there is a sound cue for expecting players though.

Talking about grenades are wonder if there is a new grenade type.

Acrylic7

no different than a rocket, or better yet a plasma grenade. i assume it explodes in 5 secs if not detonated. i hope there is a sound cue for expecting players though.

Talking about grenades are wonder if there is a new grenade type.

Probably a new Grenade from the new enemy's. Probably turns them into pixie dust like that guy with he energy sword from the Microsoft conference.

Vire

Hi res of new enemies:

Crawler

2820819-gallery.png

Watcher

2820822-gallery.png

Knight

2820821-gallery.png

Yeah I'm just wondering about what techniques I could us to mitigate the risk against somebody (or even many somebodies) using it against me. How visible are those charges?

Edit: Love the Promethean knights and Watchers, but that crawler design isn't really inspiring me.

GhaleonEB

I assume it has be re-purposed/heavily altered layouts of Campaign spaces (not a criticism).
I mean there has to be something to putting all that content together in a schedule.

I agree, the sheer number of missions sort of implies that. But 343 has said the Ops story line goes in a different direction than Campaign, so just revisiting those locations would be odd.

I'm guessing it's a mix of both.

JB1981

Haven't read a single response in this thread (have read OP). Just watched War Games and Spartan Ops and honestly I think this game looks fucking amazing. And graphically, it looks sooo much better than Bungie's efforts. Like not even in the same league.

Vire

Wonder if there will be more than just those guys as the Prometheans enemy type.

Also thruster pack shot:

2820915-web_preview.png

And Promethean Vision:

2820902-web_preview.png

Jibbed

Can someone briefly explain these enemies for me? What are the 'Prometheans'? I haven't touched or read anything Halo-related since Reach.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can someone briefly explain these enemies for me? What are the 'Prometheans'? I haven't touched or read anything Halo-related since Reach.

Prometheans are the higher up warrior version of Forerunners. Think Spartans are to humans as Prometheans are to Forerunners.

now that i can see that you can thrust forward thrusters are going to be the main complaint of people.

Man people are going to have a hard time shooting me with my thrusters on. Being able to strafe and then add the thrust to it. BR and DMR battles are going to be intense.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
..right, so the Forerunners are hostile. Any further lore details, or perhaps a good link for me to have a read through?

I guess we're not sure if the forerunners are hostile as these guys were referred to as Promethean AI. The enemies look to be guarding the shield world, which is what chief is on. Shield worlds were planets build by forerunners to shelter them when the Halo rings were fired.

Waaghals

In the first Gif posted on the last page (the one with the boosting Ghost) you can se a bar in the upper left corner that turns red and decreases as the Ghost flips around.

Guess vehicle health is back.

(sorry if you already discussed this)

So what equipment do we know is in this game so far? Have we got a description of the equipment types?

So far I know that thrusters and jetpack are in. Sprint is there by default, but I have no idea how long it last before needing to recover or whether it can be used in conjunction with some other equipment.

soldat7

Damn, the sound effects are sucking pretty hard right now. Sound like toy guns again ala HALO 2. Hog too. Speaking of HALO 2, the grenades seem to be super nerfed again. Gimme my explosions back.

I'm sure they're just placeholder for now. Just look at the trees. The game ain't done.

What did I miss? What is everybody's problem with jetpack?

I thought people only had a problem with armour lock? Then I see every once in a while that people are whinging about camo as well. Somebody explain to me why these are broken/unfair?

Really? They're including the jetpack in this game, too? Doesn't 343 realize how the jetpack completely and utterly breaks map movement? What a boneheaded decision.

Game looks really promising, though that's a given considering Bungie isn't working on the franchise anymore. It's just too bad the immense talent and creativity in 343 Industries is shackled to Halo, of all things. I would love for them to create their own IP instead of just churning out sequel after sequel. Real big waste of talent.

Hey, they ditched Armor Lock.

Now it's time to take a breath and stay away from my jetpack. That's right. Take a few steps back now. Nobody has to get hurt here.

Really? They're including the jetpack in this game, too? Doesn't 343 realize how the jetpack completely and utterly breaks map movement? What a boneheaded decision.

Game looks really promising, though that's a given considering Bungie isn't working on the franchise anymore. It's just too bad the immense talent and creativity in 343 Industries is shackled to Halo, of all things. I would love for them to create their own IP instead of just churning out sequel after sequel. Real big waste of talent.

Bungie is bad now? What crazy ass world have I walked in to? Just what the fuck is going on here.

GhaleonEB

I thought people only had a problem with armour lock? Then I see every once in a while that people are whinging about camo as well. Somebody explain to me why these are broken/unfair?

The problem with jetpack is it lets players bypass intended map movement paths and sight lines. You can craft a great map with great movement flow and view points, then add jetpacks and that all goes out the window. On maps that were not designed with jetpacks in mind (such as Reflection) they are particularly problematic.

Trying to make custom maps that feature both great map flow and sight lines, then having jet packers thwart all of it with the press of a button is a tough thing to get around. (My solution was to remove jetpack load outs from my maps in Reach.)

Because of this a lot of people were hoping the thrust pack replaced the jetpack in Reach. (More limited range, no hover capability.)
Bungie is bad now? What crazy ass world have I walked in to? Just what the fuck is going on here.

This has been a common criticism since Reach came out, it's a frequent topic of discussion in the (admittedly somewhat secluded) Community threads. I have seen it discussed on other sites as well. Not a universal opinion, but it's been discussed often and at length.

It's just too bad the immense talent and creativity in 343 Industries is shackled to Halo, of all things. I would love for them to create their own IP instead of just churning out sequel after sequel. Real big waste of talent.

Shackled? You make it sound like they were forced to work on Halo (a critically acclaimed, popular franchise "of all things") - this wasn't a pre-existing studio that was lumped with the Halo franchise, these devs are there because they want to be there, and I think that's coming across in the awesome stuff we've seen from E3.

EvB

There is 300% run speed and the option to make all players invincible, doesn't mean it will ever show up in a playlist though.

I love the jetpack myself

The problem with jetpack is it lets players bypass intended map movement paths and sight lines. You can craft a great map with great movement flow and view points, then add jetpacks and that all goes out the window. On maps that were not designed with jetpacks in mind (such as Reflection) they are particularly problematic.

Trying to make custom maps that feature both great map flow and sight lines, then having jet packers thwart all of it with the press of a button is a tough thing to get around. (My solution was to remove jetpack load outs from my maps in Reach.)

Because of this a lot of people were hoping the thrust pack replaced the jetpack in Reach. (More limited range, no hover capability.)

This has been a common criticism since Reach came out, it's a frequent topic of discussion in the (admittedly somewhat secluded) Community threads. I have seen it discussed on other sites as well.

I can see that as a criticism of jetpack, but I also still recognize that as being the point of the jetpack - to navigate maps more intuitively and leapfrogging over the intended ways of navigation. The drawback is that you're more exposed when in flight (not on all maps) and that your position is given away via the sound. You're also not as equipped for a close quarters or shallow ceiling fight once it comes down to it.

Just like the complaints with armour lock, I can't understand why people don't just recognize the weaknesses of the ability and approach somebody using it with its limitations in mind.

And yes, if jetpack isn't to your liking or it breaks maps that you want to make, then of course you should remove it from the loadouts menu - as should Bungie/343 remove it from any maps of theirs that it might unbalance.

Now somebody explain what is so bad about camo.

cluto

As mentioned by Jack Scofield, the jetpack breaks Halo map design and jumping, which are two very integral parts of competitive play; map design is arguably the most important part. The only way to make the jetpack work is to have it available at all times and to design maps around its functionality, but doing so would make the maps completely unlike Halo maps, and therefore it has no place in multiplayer.

The armor abilities in Reach did not evolve Halo multiplayer; in a lot of ways they broke it. Halo 4 looks like it's heading down a similar path. The whole armor abilities/equipment/powerup system needs to be simplified into one system that is treated like the powerups in Halo 1: items which can be picked up that are placed in risk/reward areas around a map.

Top Bottom