• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unchained Blades (PSP/3DS) - June 26 on PSN, 3DS eShop later this year

Eusis

I honestly don't understand this. PSP games have to go to SCEA for certification. Why doesn't SCEA also take that time to test them on Vita?
I'm guessing they want to be "fair" to other games lined up for compatibility, or it's simply not well organized/managed effort, or at least not smartly enough to tackle new PSP releases as they come. I wonder if they might want to apply a bit of pressure on buying new Vita games, but for the consumer I think it'd be better to keep both healthy, at least on the digital front.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fuck. That game looks too good :( Stupid compatibility.

Eusis

Hm? Works in EU?
Japan may or may not have these problems. If they do though then at least it makes more sense on their end, they still have a healthy stream of PSP games coming out so only prioritizing new releases really does risk older titles being completely neglected, whereas in the US and EU it's a special occasion when a PSP game comes out.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
They better not Gungnir this PSP title. I keep wanting to give my money to these people, but they simply don't want it.

Japan may or may not have these problems. If they do though then at least it makes more sense on their end, they still have a healthy stream of PSP games coming out so only prioritizing new releases really does risk older titles being completely neglected, whereas in the US and EU it's a special occasion when a PSP game comes out.

Japan is much better about this kind of thing.

Every week, a handful of the new PSP releases of the week go straight up to the PSN, available on the Vita. Not all of them, but most of them.

Most games will typically come a little while after if not the same day. Conception being the latest case of this. The Vita-compatible version came out three/four weeks later with a new firmware update.

It's been pretty constant.

Eusis

Japan is much better about this kind of thing.

Every week, a handful of the new PSP releases of the week go straight up to the PSN, available on the Vita. Not all of them, but most of them.

Most games will typically come a little while after if not the same day. Conception being the latest case of this. The Vita-compatible version came out three/four weeks later with a new firmware update.

It's been pretty constant.
Ugh, unless they are going to dump practically every game on all at once they really need to follow that model. Hell, they should anyway after that too-good-to-be-true massive dump.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah there is no way in hell I'd pick a version with toggle map over bottom screen always on map when its a dungeon crawl. Will wait for superior 3DS version.

matmanx1

So I can't play this on my Vita today and now I have a sinking feeling that Growlanser is going to be the same way which is an even bigger bummer. Sony =(

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I'm...not exactly sold yet, but does anyone remember from import impressions whether the dungeons in this game have tricky things like warps, shortcuts, puzzles, etc?

And can you turn off voices without turning off sound effects or music? I kinda prefer less chatter in my dungeon crawlers, and conversations like this are just kinda awkward.

So I can't play this on my Vita today and now I have a sinking feeling that Growlanser is going to be the same way which is an even bigger bummer. Sony =(
Nich has basically confirmed as much, sorry to say.

Cheska

There is absolutely no excuse for not making these games Vita compatible SCEA! I've been dying to play Hakuoki and this but I just don't use my PSP anymore and I don't think I could even go back to it after being spoiled by my Vita :(

ttocs

I played this game for a while last night and actually really enjoyed it. I was expecting it to be one of those games that has English translations but the audio is all in Japanese and it wasn't (thankfully...I'm not a big fan of those.) The production value is a lot higher than what I thought it was going to be so overall, I'm really pleased with the game.

ttocs

I'd probably get this right now if it was Vita compatible.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they chose not to support vita at release. The game is nice looking and it would have looked great on the bigger screen. With that said though, it's still a great game so far.

scy

Yeah, I'm not sure why they chose not to support vita at release. The game is nice looking and it would have looked great on the bigger screen. With that said though, it's still a great game so far.

I don't think they chose it. It's in the same boat as ... well, every other recent PSP game. It's waiting for Sony.

matmanx1

I'm...not exactly sold yet, but does anyone remember from import impressions whether the dungeons in this game have tricky things like warps, shortcuts, puzzles, etc?

And can you turn off voices without turning off sound effects or music? I kinda prefer less chatter in my dungeon crawlers, and conversations like this are just kinda awkward.

Nich has basically confirmed as much, sorry to say.

Seeing as how I don't even have a PSP anymore I guess I'll be waiting until Sony gets their act together and makes this available for play on the Vita. What a shame.

I don't think they chose it. It's in the same boat as ... well, every other recent PSP game. It's waiting for Sony.

Or, to be accurate, Sony of America. The European branch has got their act together with regards to PSP games, practically the entire PSN catalogue was enabled within the first four weeks. The American branch? Nope.avi.

Still, I wonder if Atlus & XSEED will bring their new games over the Europe exclusively through PSN? Unchained Blades is PSN-only anyway AFAIK, so that should be a relatively easy port.

pretty good game so far. i got destroyed a couple of times in the first dungeon already. i didn't know you could take different routes in skill progression. looks a lot like FFX actually. not sure if it's possible to max everything out, but i'm probably not doing that anyway.

didn't expect the music to kick so muss ass, but it actually does!

pretty good game so far. i got destroyed a couple of times in the first dungeon already. i didn't know you could take different routes in skill progression. looks a lot like FFX actually. not sure if it's possible to max everything out, but i'm probably not doing that anyway.

didn't expect the music to kick so muss ass, but it actually does!

You can max out the skill grid by level 94. You can do it sooner by obtaining bonus SP from campfire conversations which are unlocked later in the game.

There is absolutely no excuse for not making these games Vita compatible SCEA! I've been dying to play Hakuoki and this but I just don't use my PSP anymore and I don't think I could even go back to it after being spoiled by my Vita :(
I'm honestly thinking that they need to wait for a game to be released first for PSN (as in final game code), then try to optimize the game to work on Vita. That seems to be the situation to me (sort of like how MS handled Xbox BC on 360). How long it takes them to get to it will be another story.

Luigiv

Maybe, but officially the 3DS only supports up to 32GB SDHCs. There's no mention of SDXC.

There is no maybe. The answer is no, period.

also "up to 32GB" is industry code for "We don't trust your intelligent enough to read anything other than the capacity on the packet so we'll repeat the exact same thing we said earlier in the sentence in a slightly different way so you'll understand this time".

SDHC cards don't come in sizes larger than 32GB and SDXC card don't come any smaller than 64GB. I think you can see where this is going.

Here's a couple of videos a nice person took of the english language gameplay.
Video 2 has some back and forth with characters that made me laugh right out loud.

The kerning on the dialogue text is horrid. (I deal with typefaces and all that for work, so it bugs me... not a dealbreaker though)

first impressions:part one

first impressions:part two

Wow, this looks so much better on PSP than it does on 3DS, but I'll put that down to playing it on 3DS and only seeing PSP footage on YouTube. I bet it'd look great on a Vita though.

As a translator, though, lines in battle like "Hector strengthened its guard" are painful to see. Reminds me of the gender confusion in Wizardry: LoLS. The dialogue seems alright though, which is the important part.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There is no maybe. The answer is no, period.

also "up to 32GB" is industry code for "We don't trust your intelligent enough to read anything other than the capacity on the packet so we'll repeat the exact same thing we said earlier in the sentence in a slightly different way so you'll understand this time".

SDHC cards don't come in sizes larger than 32GB and SDXC card don't come any smaller than 64GB. I think you can see where this is going.

I've seen SDXC cards work on "SD/SDHC-only" devices, but if you say so.

cleared the first dungeon. seems like this game has higher production values than every dungeon crawler i've played these last years.

Q: sometimes followers will leave anima for you. what is it for?

Luigiv

I've seen SDXC cards work on "SD/SDHC-only" devices, but if you say so.

You would have to mess with the formatting to do that. By default regular SD should be formatted in FAT16, SDHC in FAT32 and SDXC in exFAT. Support for these file systems needs to be explicitly programmed into the device so a device with no exFAT support cannot support SDXC.

You could theoretically reformat an SDXC card into FAT32 but I imagine you'd be limited to 32GB anyway, so it's a worthless exercise; for whatever reason, Windows can only create 32GB partitions in FAT32 and even if you did format with another OS/tool I'm not sure how the device would react.

Likely these devices you've seen support SDXC where also devices with USB mass storage support too. Such device would potentially have exFAT support for the USB drives so they can read SDXC too. This is obviously not the case with the 3DS which would not likely support a file system it's not intended to use. Not yet, at least. It may possibly come in a firmware update some time in the future when SDXC becomes more mainstream.

Z3M0G

cleared the first dungeon. seems like this game has higher production values than every dungeon crawler i've played these last years.

Q: sometimes followers will leave anima for you. what is it for?

omfg, someone else who is playing this game!

I'm crack addicted to this and about 10 hours in or so... nearing the end of the first Titan.

It's the most addictive Dungeon Crawler RPG I've ever played. Has the best character development and customization features I've seen in such a game. The level design is superb, and makes exploring very satisfying. Adding gathering points makes you feel like there is value to exploring every possible hallway to its very end.

To answer your question, I believe you are referring to an item they may give you during conversations? It is usable during "Judgement Battles", to give your Followers a "boost" during the battle if needed.

Be sure to collect followers every step of the way... I hit a roadblock where I needed to pass a Judgement Battle and pretty much had to max out at 30 followers in order to win. Be sure to rotate out followers who hit max level as well... as you'll need your entire Follower army to be strong during those Judgement Battles.

M3d10n

You would have to mess with the formatting to do that. By default regular SD should be formatted in FAT16, SDHC in FAT32 and SDXC in exFAT. Support for these file systems needs to be explicitly programmed into the device so a device with no exFAT support cannot support SDXC.

You could theoretically reformat an SDXC card into FAT32 but I imagine you'd be limited to 32GB anyway, so it's a worthless exercise; for whatever reason, Windows can only create 32GB partitions in FAT32 and even if you did format with another OS/tool I'm not sure how the device would react.

Likely these devices you've seen support SDXC where also devices with USB mass storage support too. Such device would potentially have exFAT support for the USB drives so they can read SDXC too. This is obviously not the case with the 3DS which would not likely support a file system it's not intended to use. Not yet, at least. It may possibly come in a firmware update some time in the future when SDXC becomes more mainstream.

SDXC cards should work on any SDHC device as long as the card is formatted with a filesystem the device can navigate. From Wikipedia's SDXC article:

Compatibility with SDHC

SDXC host devices accept all previous families of SD memory cards.[26] Conversely, SDHC host devices will accept SDXC cards that follow Version 3.0, since the interface is identical,[3] but the following issues may affect usability:

• SDXC cards are pre-formatted with Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system, which the host device might not support. Since Microsoft does not publish the specifications of exFAT and its use requires a non-free license, many alternative or older operating systems do not support exFAT for technical or legal reasons. The use of exFAT on some SDXC cards may render SDXC unsuitable as a universal exchange medium, as an SDXC card that uses exFAT would not be usable in all host devices. Since the FAT32 file system supports volumes up to the SDXC's maximum theoretical capacity of 2 TB as well, a user could reformat an SDXC card to use FAT32 for greater portability between computers (see below). FAT32-formatted SDXC cards can be used in a host device built for SDHC if the host device can handle 64GB and larger volumes.

• SDHC host devices will not test the new capability bits defined for SDXC 4.0 cards. It will therefore not be able to use the new features of SDXC, such as transfer speeds above UHS104 (104MB/s).

So, in theory, it could work on the 3DS if you format the card to FAT32. However, it's unclear whether the 3DS would accept the card or list more than 32GB worth of blocks.

omfg, someone else who is playing this game!

I'm crack addicted to this and about 10 hours in or so... nearing the end of the first Titan.

It's the most addictive Dungeon Crawler RPG I've ever played. Has the best character development and customization features I've seen in such a game. The level design is superb, and makes exploring very satisfying. Adding gathering points makes you feel like there is value to exploring every possible hallway to its very end.

How would you compare the game to the Etrian Odyssey series regarding the dungeon layout and battle system? (Obviously the story comparisons wouldn't count)

wsippel

Banned
SDXC cards should work on any SDHC device as long as the card is formatted with a filesystem the device can navigate. From Wikipedia's SDXC article:

So, in theory, it could work on the 3DS if you format the card to FAT32. However, it's unclear whether the 3DS would accept the card or list more than 32GB worth of blocks.
Well, the DSi had no problem with my 4GB SD card (which shouldn't exist according to the standard), so who knows.

Top Bottom