• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Omiee

untitled-54xksm.gif

i expect to see a lot of this to happen tomorrow at the race.

Leunam

Lu3DT.png

untitled-19zejj6.gif

2011 Race Summary

The race started under difficult conditions, with a full wet track from the Arena to Chapel, but the remaining sections being dry; as a result of this all of the teams elected to run on intermediate tyres. Before the start Lewis Hamilton and Sergio Perez slid off the circuit, with Perez damaging his car's front wing. At the start Sebastian Vettel beat Webber to the first corner, while Jenson Button passed Felipe Massa. Lewis Hamilton made up four positions on the first lap after from tenth. The two Renaults of Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov had a small collision at Vale, nearly taking Vitaly Petrov out of the race. The difficult conditions meant drivers were forced to nurse the intermediate tyres through the dry sections of the circuit to preserve the integrity of the tyres through the wet stretches. This resulted in the drivers having to stay out on the circuit as long as possible until the circuit became dry enough to switch to the dry-compound tyres, or else risk making an extra stop and losing track position.

Vettel started building up a comfortable lead ahead of Webber whilst Jenson Button struggled, first losing fourth place to Massa and then being passed by Hamilton as the 2008 World Champion climbed back up through the field. The Lotuses of Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli became the first retirements of the race, stopping within the first ten laps of the race due to gearbox issues. As the first round of scheduled pit stops approached, Michael Schumacher collided with Kamui Kobayashi at Luffield, spinning the Japanese driver around. Schumacher was forced to replace his front wing and was subsequently given a ten second stop-go penalty for causing an avoidable accident; as the new pit complex was designed in such a way that drivers would spend a minimal amount of time in the pits, the stewards decided that a stop-go penalty was more appropriate than a drive-through. Kamui Kobayashi was given a similar penalty when he pitted due to an unsafe release that saw him drive over a wheel gun. Kobayashi would then go on to retire from the Grand Prix when his engine expired. Meanwhile, Jaime Alguersuari and Sebastien Buemi were fighting up the order from their poor grid positions, and both successfully passed the struggling Renault of Vitaly Petrov. At Force India, Paul di Resta was delayed in the pits when the team were expecting Adrian Sutil, and thus had Sutil's tyres ready in a similar incident to a mistake at the 2010 German Grand Prix, forcing di Resta to wait while tyres from his own allocation were found. The error dropped di Resta well down the order, and he eventually made contact with Buemi at Copse, damaging the Swiss driver's left-rear tyre. Yellow flags were displayed as Buemi tried to limp back to the pits, but his tyre soon disintegrated and he had to retire by the side of the track.

The second round of pit stops saw Vettel and Alonso enter at the same time, but an uncharacteristic mistake from the Red Bull mechanics meant Vettel was delayed and allowing Alonso to take the lead of the race. Vettel emerged in third behind Lewis Hamilton, and struggled to pass the McLaren driver as Alonso increased his lead. Red Bull would eventually pit Vettel for a third time to allow him to run in clear air. Meanwhile, Button pitted for new tyres but retired from the race after the front right wheelnut was not attached, leaving the wheel visibly loose on the exit from the pits and continuing Button's run of poor results in his home race.

With less than ten laps to go, Hamilton was told to start conserving fuel in order to finish the race. This slowed him to the point where Vettel and Webber were able to pass him and put him in danger of being passed by Felipe Massa. As the race entered the final two laps, Webber was close enough to Vettel to attempt a pass while Massa was visibly faster than Hamilton. Webber was given an order by the team not to pass Vettel, but ignored it. He was ultimately unsuccessful, and finished in third place. Behind them, Massa caught Hamilton on the final lap and attempted a pass into Vale corner. Hamilton, holding a defensive line into the corner, was unable to slow the car down in time and the two made contact. This forced Massa off the racing line through Club corner and across the line; Hamilton prevailed by two hundredths of a second, while Massa ran wide and crossed the finish line on the tarmac run-off on the outside of the corner. The stewards investigated, but no action was taken.

Alonso won the race – Ferrari's first of the 2011 season – sixteen seconds ahead of Vettel and Webber with Hamilton fourth and Massa fifth. Nico Rosberg finished sixth, five seconds ahead of Sergio Pérez in a career-best finish. Nick Heidfeld salvaged four points for Renault in eighth place and Schumacher recovered from his penalty to place ninth. Vitaly Petrov's failure to score meant that Mercedes took fourth place in the World Constructors' Championship. Jaime Alguersuari took the final point-scoring position in tenth, his third successive finish in the points. Daniel Ricciardo was the nineteenth and final classified finisher on his race debut.

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
52​
Circuit length
5.901 km (3.667 mi)​
Race length
306.747 km (190.604 mi)​
Lap Record
Fernando Alonso - Ferrari - 2010 - 1:30.874​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Jim Clark & Alain Prost (5)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari (15)​

Previous Winners

Valencia Street Circuit

2011 - Fernando Alonso for Ferrari
2010 - Mark Webber for Red Bull-Renault
2009 - Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull-Renault
2008 - Lewis Hamilton for McLaren-Mercedes
2007 - Kimi Räikkönen for Ferrari
2006 - Fernando Alonso for Renault
2005 - Juan Pablo Montoya for McLaren-Mercedes

Videos highlighting the British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2008 British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1978 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch

Highlights from the 1969 British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2011 British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2010 British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1981 British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1974 British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1975 British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1977 British Grand Prix

Jim Clark documentary: Part 1/Part 2/Part 3/Part 4/Part 5/Part 6

Changes from 2011

-Relatively little has changed since 2011. The pit entry has been straightened and the pit lane speed limit begins 50 metres earlier.

GP Facts

-The British Grand Prix has been on the calendar since the inaugural F1 World Championship in 1950. The only other race able to claim that is the Italian Grand Prix. Silverstone played host to that first ever F1 World Championship event, when it hosted the British Grand Prix on 13 May 1950. Nino Farina won the race driving for Alfa Romeo and went on to win the Championship with further victories in Switzerland and Italy.
-Jim Clark and Alain Prost are tied on five wins apiece as the most successful drivers in British Grand Prix history. While Prost won all of his races at Silverstone, Clark spread his across all three British Grand Prix venues.
-There have been 63 winning drivers in the 62 British Grands Prix. During the 1957 race at Aintree, Stirling Moss took the chequered flag driving the Vanwall in which Tony Brooks had started the race. Moss had pitted his ailing Vanwall from the lead and taken over team-mate Brooks’ drive, re-emerging in ninth place, Moss worked his way through the field and still managed to win by 26 seconds.
-The 1951 British Grand Prix at Silverstone was won by José Froilán González driving a Ferrari 375. It was Ferrari’s first Formula One World Championship victory. González’s car, now owned by Bernie Ecclestone, was driven around the Silverstone circuit by Fernando Alonso before the 2011 race – which Alonso subsequently won in a Ferrari 150° Italia.
-Fernando Alonso’s victory in 2011 made Ferrari the leading Constructor in British Grand Prix history with 15 victories, one ahead of McLaren.
-The British Grand Prix has the highest number of home-grown winners of any race on the F1 calendar. The race has been won by a British driver 21 times. Alongside Clark’s five wins (1962-1965, 1967), Nigel Mansell has four (1986-7, 1991-2), while on two wins apiece come Stirling Moss (one shared with Tony Brooks) (1955, 1957) , Jackie Stewart (1969, 1971) and David Coulthard (1999, 2000). The other winners are Peter Collins (1958), James Hunt (1977), John Watson (1981), Damon Hill (1994), Johnny Herbert (1995) and Lewis Hamilton (2008).

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
EkUfH.png

Constructors Championship
kwRfj.png

Fantasy League Championship
oehrJ.png

Lach

it used to happen a lot in f1 in the old days. If the front tires were still good they only changed the rear tires.

Yep, and that sounds kind of logical to me (changing only rear). But here they changed the the left side tires...

Fantomex

Hai Guys! I'm the only yank here so I had to go back to sleep after the restart. I finally watched the replay. Alonso in the wet, pole?

tumblr_m0dpm5lITw1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

I had it, ignore list.

Somehow, only now have I learnt that that this is a thing that exists. Things are looking up.

The grid looks pretty promising for the mid-field tomorrow, but I fear Schumacher might end up becoming a bit of a roadblock and prevent more people coming into contention for the win if conditions are stable.

Dilly

Banned
Somehow, only now have I learnt that that this is a thing that exists. Things are looking up.

The grid looks pretty promising for the mid-field tomorrow, but I fear Schumacher might end up becoming a bit of a roadblock and prevent more people coming into contention for the win if conditions are stable.

Yeah, normally I don't use it but I had enough.

Might be able to catch the first hour and pre coverage live tomorrow, so that's good news for me.

Thanks Leunam. Amazing stuff as usual

@f1racemanager I'm in the top 50 at last :D .. Just changed Schumi to Grosjean :/

Changed the McLaren chassis to Lotus' which I think is a good move given how badly Button is performing

Omiee

Thanks Leunam. Amazing stuff as usual

@f1racemanager I'm in the top 50 at last :D .. Just changed Schumi to Grosjean :/

Changed the McLaren chassis to Lotus' which I think is a good move given how badly Button is performing

Yeah iv done the same clearly lotus are more consistent than mclaren at the moment. went with grosjean and shumi as my drivers.

hope i can make some money to upgrade to rbr.

also ignore button is the coward way out to be honest. Its not like it physically hurts you to see somebody's posts sjeez.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I recorded the qualifying and extended the time but was 2 minutes short :( Glad to see Alonso on pole with Schumacher not far behind.

Also people who live in Canada and have Netflix, Senna is now available.

Fantomex

Yeah iv done the same clearly lotus are more consistent than mclaren at the moment. went with grosjean and shumi as my drivers.

hope i can make some money to upgrade to rbr.

also ignore button is the coward way out to be honest. Its not like it physically hurts you to see somebody's posts sjeez.

It's the Internet and it happens. I usually see people that hate the ignore function being the same people that love trolling. It cuts out their fun :)

Az

Good job on the new thread.
Had to get up early to watch the Quali, happy about Alonso. This is the year I really started to like him. Would love to see Schumi or Kimi win.

A Schumacher win would be pretty epic, but I'll be supporting Alonso all the way.

I'd be happy with Alonso, Schumacher, Vettel.

Fantomex

A Schumacher win would be pretty epic, but I'll be supporting Alonso all the way.

I'd be happy with Alonso, Schumacher, Vettel.

Wow if you liked Hamilton instead of Schumi you'd have the most polarizing drivers as your 3 favs! I like Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton, people give me weird looks :) I don't include Kimi because well, everybody loves Kimi!

I hated Schumacher for the longest time, but I think it would be fantastic for him to get a win now. I think it's a bit shit that his reputation has been sullied by his comeback performance (or that of his car, if you're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt).

Shaneus

So, just caught up with this thread now. Was there anyone who was genuinely disadvantaged by the red flag? And Webber was second by a bee's dick by the sounds? Was he ripped off by the flag as well or same circumstances as Nando?

Definitely downloading this one tomorrow when I get a chance. Sounds like it was exciting. Hopefully someone uploads the BBC one. But I doubt it :(

But... Webber's always been a gun at Silverstone. If he did get second, he'd be a decent chance I'd think :D

So, just caught up with this thread now. Was there anyone who was genuinely disadvantaged by the red flag? And Webber was second by a bee's dick by the sounds? Was he ripped off by the flag as well or same circumstances as Nando?

Definitely downloading this one tomorrow when I get a chance. Sounds like it was exciting. Hopefully someone uploads the BBC one. But I doubt it :(

But... Webber's always been a gun at Silverstone. If he did get second, he'd be a decent chance I'd think :D

The bbc-player has the qualifying session available to watch now. Just select the iplayer option from the drop down box and search formula 1.

Webber was fast, just not quite as fast and Nando :p

Adamm

I dont think anyone was 'disadvantaged' by the red flag. All the teams got plenty of running after the session restarted.

But Ferrari would have lost out if thee red flags did not come out when they did - they missed their chance to do a good lap at the start of the session & were about 5 seconds off the pace before the session was stopped.

The Saubers got their flying laps in early & would have easily made it to Q3 if the session was not stopped.

Nothing. Just the usual madness from the usual suspects. I can't recommend to read through this.

I never read through race/pratice comments afterwards - its a load of rubbish. But fun to be a part of when the race is live :D

Shaneus

The bbc-player has the qualifying session available to watch now. Just select the iplayer option from the drop down box and search formula 1.

Webber was fast, just not quite as fast and Nando :p
Don't know if I can without too much mucking around (unless it can somehow be seen outside UK... I have no idea how to go about it if so) so I'll have to wait. I think I can though, knowing it's a decent result ;)

G-Unit

Another thread I wanted to post into for so long.

-Schumacher fan
-Thinks schumie > alonso at prime times but alonso the best currently driver
-Does not understand the love for webber and koba
-Maldonado is a dick
-Realized that he's more a schumie fan than ferrari one
-Started watching F1 around 1998
-Kimi is awesome
-Chill hamilton is likeable
-Poor massa, the injury messed him up

No one got disadvantaged, but the top 10 was perfect until Alonso came into the radio complaining that its undrivable, 2 laps later its a red flag

Ironically the Ferrari's wer

fuck... my kid just kicked me in the nutts.. I'll finish this post later

Dilly

Banned
No one got disadvantaged, but the top 10 was perfect until Alonso came into the radio complaining that its undrivable, 2 laps later its a red flag

Ironically the Ferrari's wer

fuck... my kid just kicked me in the nutts.. I'll finish this post later

Hamilton complained after Alonso.

You are all pretty much insufferable fanboys to the people who lurk the F1 threads btw. It's pretty embarassing.

These two biased characters are truly insufferable. I like to read GAF on my mobile device during Q or the race, but when these guys are around: thisthreadnowsucks.jpg
What does it take to get them temp banned, during race weekend or so.

I don't like Ferrari, I don't like how they've done things in the past, I don't like their way of dealing with #1 and #2 drivers, but Alonso damn well deserved this pole!
McLaren and Hamilton are really letting me down as a fan, I thought it would be a cold day in hell before I'd be okay with Ferrari on pole. But Alonso made it bearable for me. And that's saying a lot :)

I just hope the race will give some of the great drivers a chance to shine. Then I'll be happy no matter what the result.

Yen

These two biased characters are truly insufferable. I like to read GAF on my mobile device during Q or the race, but when these guys are around: thisthreadnowsucks.jpg
What does it take to get them temp banned, during race weekend or so.

Omiee is one of the insufferable biased posters, who is the other?

Hamilton complained after Alonso.

I was coming to that. And I guess that's what sealed the deal because he wasn't at advantage if it got redflagged so Charlie might have take it as it was truly undrivable.

Now we don't know if other drivers have complained or not, but a good 9 and a half minutes have passed, Ferrari fucked up and were paying for it, so it would've been nice to see the field get a bit shuffled

I don't think any post above suggested that Alonso doesn't deserve the pole. It's just somehow unfair IMO.

Also, I don't think I'm the only one who says the red flag was unnecessary from replies here I think EJ was saying the same

Top Bottom