• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Native Syrians Posting from Syria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
I really regret not posting this for Libya. But I am genuinely curious to know Native Syrians views of the current situation there. How do you feel about NATO? There is so much conflicting information about the war(s), confusion over Al Qaeda. They were terrorists once in iraq, and we needed to free the people from them, but now the western world is best friends with them. I'm under the impression, that like in iraq, this is a proxy war. The people of Syria don't seem to be revolting against the government. But united against the invasion. Much like Libya. It seemed so weird to hear the western news about Gaddafi, then see the people supporting him at a pro-government rally. The same with China/Russia's non-participation/veto. I thought to myself how could they do nothing with all of this violence going on? WHY dont they support a no fly zone/attack on the regime! It just appears that its not as it seems. Assad's not eating babies.

Also, how do you view the constitution? It was covered by western media as a sham, a "joke" even, but with all the rest of the news. I'm sure its shaded.

noah111

Still Alive
Can't believe this got zero replies. On my phone so I can't type out a bunch, but I've already done that elaborating my experience across other threads. The situation is escalating though, beyond the military/government aspects even. Tonight in particular has been troubling for my household which is what made me stumble across this thread to find an outlet.. If I'm still alive by tomorrow I'll elaborate!
thats supposed to be funny but it has a reign of truth to it :/

Eh, I'm not really a native syrian (and fortunate enough not to live in Syria) but most of my relatives are in support of a regime change, but fear that more religious powers might gain on a revolution as has happened in the other ME countries.

Sentry was the first person I thought about. My thoughts are with you buddy. Stay safe and I look forward to reading your post tomorrow.

Smokey

Can't believe this got zero replies. On my phone so I can't type out a bunch, but I've already done that elaborating my experience across other threads. The situation is escalating though, beyond the military/government aspects even. Tonight in particular has been troubling for my household which is what made me stumble across this thread to find an outlet.. If I'm still alive by tomorrow I'll elaborate!

geez

hope everythign is ok

Be safe. I hope everything turns out well.

SUPREME1

Banned
The Turkey/Syria thread covers a lot of this. Check it out.

As far as people supporting the regime, it happens with EVERY internal conflict and it always will. There are groups of people who benefit from the regime in power and will support it, then there are those who suffer under said regime and oppose it.

As far as proxy wars go, yeah that's very much a part of what is going on.

World powers will do what they can to gain an advantage in any given region. The US and the West would like to see an exit by Assad, as he's alligned with Iran. Syria is key to Iran being able to project their power through the region (via Hezbollah and other means). Israel would also love for Syria to have a regime change, one that is not a proxy state of Iran, but they can't be seen as interfering (for many reasons) so the US will be leading the charge on this. Assad has been heavy handed enough with his own people that the US/West can point to it as reason enough for there to be some sort of international intervention (via the UN). The US also knows that Syria is the last place Russia has a foothold in the ME. It's the last country in the ME that has a Russian army base. The US would like to remove any and all influence by Russia.

On the flip side: Iran, Russia and China all have there own reasons to influence the outcome. They all have interests in Syria and will do what they need to do to ensure Assad stays in power. Russia and China will veto any UN resolution and (Russia) will counter with their own attempts at a diplomatic solution. Russia is trying really hard these days to be seen as a true world power again. They'd like to be the ones to take credit for a solution. In the meantime, it's been reported that they've sent over attack helicopters for the regime to use. As far as China's agenda goes, it's more a big picture thing. As a soon-to-be legit world power, they will do whatever they can to pester the US and (like Russia) show they can influence world matters.

Turkey plays into this as part of NATO. They are sheltering Syrian refugees (some of which are rebels, or terrorists as Syria calls them). Turkey is an emerging power in the region and would like to flex it's muscles a bit. The incident in which two Turkish jets were shot down by Syria could be another way in which the US could get involved (via their NATO partnership).

Well, this is all how I see it and understand it anyway. I could be misinformed, but thought I'd share what I think I know.

Anybody hear from Sentry today? With all the hulabaloo from the SCOTUS health care thing today I forgot about this thread. I saw on the news today there was a big car bombing in Damascus. Hope you're okay Sentry, even though I'm probably being paranoid and you were likely nowhere near it. Godspeed fellow gaffer.

noah111

Still Alive
^Thanks guys, internet was out a few days here (as they do every friday lately) plus I was busy moving around a lot.

Anyway it's a long story but i'll just say the biggest problems right now aren't even the 'terrorists' or 'evil military regime' as much as it is that the people and citizens are all on edge. There's a real sense of chaos even in the peaceful apartment complexes throughout some cities, when all you hear in some parts of the day is explosions and non-stop rifle fire echoing from the distance. Everyone in the complexes get outside on their balconies and look around as they hear choppers flying over their 'untouched' city, while talking to each other, debating what's going on and how close it all really is. Then at night you hear a gunshot in the alley and those same people all rush out on their balconies and look down, fearing the chaos has reached these complexes that they've occupied all their lives. Even in these untroubled regions where all is 'fine' and daily life is still more-or-less the same, there still exists a deep rooted sense of chaos. Paranoiac even for some. For anonymities sake i'd rather not go into detail about what happened to me and my household specifically, but our issues have come with 'rebels' or independent guys with guns who can intimidate/exploit/get something out of the situation. Some of these parties aren't even politically driven. Nothing is as black and white as either the western media or the government media here portrays. This is unfortunate of course, because even the face of all these atrocities, there could be comfort found if a single head could be to blame for it all. And unfortunately, even if that head is found, the damage is already done and the dice have already rolled. For months now the politically minded parents, uncles etc have been assuring their families that the situation is at it's peak and this is the worst it'll get. No worries. But it seems the opposite is true, that it'll only get worse before it gets better.. Whatever 'better' even is at this point.

RJT

Stay safe man. We take too much shit for granted in the developed world. Can't imagine what it's like to be in a situation like that.

noah111

Still Alive
Stay safe man. We take too much shit for granted in the developed world. Can't imagine what it's like to be in a situation like that.
Just some backstory: I was born, raised, and lived in the US (TX) all my life. Visited a few times in the summers as a kid, but nothing more than that. Wasn't until two or so years ago that we moved here 'for good'.

Worst timing ever.

Fritz

Did you think about going back to the US or just leaving the country really, at least till it's save again? Or is the situation not that threatening?

The stuff we get in the media over here is really breaking my heart.

I honestly had no idea sentry lived in syria. Stay safe friend.

Me neither!

Actually I didn't think there were any users from there.

Damn it guys, I really hope nothing happens to you! I hope this situation is resolved as soon as possible, it's just ridiculous turning on the TV and hear that a hundred people have died in a day, that's got to stop.

Sentry, stay safe buddy!

commedieu

Banned
^Thanks guys, internet was out a few days here (as they do every friday lately) plus I was busy moving around a lot.

Anyway it's a long story but i'll just say the biggest problems right now aren't even the 'terrorists' or 'evil military regime' as much as it is that the people and citizens are all on edge. There's a real sense of chaos even in the peaceful apartment complexes throughout some cities, when all you hear in some parts of the day is explosions and non-stop rifle fire echoing from the distance. Everyone in the complexes get outside on their balconies and look around as they hear choppers flying over their 'untouched' city, while talking to each other, debating what's going on and how close it all really is. Then at night you hear a gunshot in the alley and those same people all rush out on their balconies and look down, fearing the chaos has reached these complexes that they've occupied all their lives. Even in these untroubled regions where all is 'fine' and daily life is still more-or-less the same, there still exists a deep rooted sense of chaos. Paranoiac even for some. For anonymities sake i'd rather not go into detail about what happened to me and my household specifically, but our issues have come with 'rebels' or independent guys with guns who can intimidate/exploit/get something out of the situation. Some of these parties aren't even politically driven. Nothing is as black and white as either the western media or the government media here portrays. This is unfortunate of course, because even the face of all these atrocities, there could be comfort found if a single head could be to blame for it all. And unfortunately, even if that head is found, the damage is already done and the dice have already rolled. For months now the politically minded parents, uncles etc have been assuring their families that the situation is at it's peak and this is the worst it'll get. No worries. But it seems the opposite is true, that it'll only get worse before it gets better.. Whatever 'better' even is at this point.

Thank you, for what its worth, I really appreciate the response. I was reviewing news today and thought to check on this old thread. I hope you're doing well, as well as you can be. Please be safe.

As far as people supporting the regime, it happens with EVERY internal conflict and it always will. There are groups of people who benefit from the regime in power and will support it, then there are those who suffer under said regime and oppose it.

World powers will do what they can to gain an advantage in any given region. The US and the West would like to see an exit by Assad, as he's alligned with Iran. Syria is key to Iran being able to project their power through the region (via Hezbollah and other means). Israel would also love for Syria to have a regime change, one that is not a proxy state of Iran, but they can't be seen as interfering (for many reasons) so the US will be leading the charge on this. Assad has been heavy handed enough with his own people that the US/West can point to it as reason enough for there to be some sort of international intervention (via the UN). The US also knows that Syria is the last place Russia has a foothold in the ME. It's the last country in the ME that has a Russian army base. The US would like to remove any and all influence by Russia.

On the flip side: Iran, Russia and China all have there own reasons to influence the outcome. They all have interests in Syria and will do what they need to do to ensure Assad stays in power. Russia and China will veto any UN resolution and (Russia) will counter with their own attempts at a diplomatic solution. Russia is trying really hard these days to be seen as a true world power again. They'd like to be the ones to take credit for a solution. In the meantime, it's been reported that they've sent over attack helicopters for the regime to use. As far as China's agenda goes, it's more a big picture thing. As a soon-to-be legit world power, they will do whatever they can to pester the US and (like Russia) show they can influence world matters.

Turkey plays into this as part of NATO. They are sheltering Syrian refugees (some of which are rebels, or terrorists as Syria calls them). Turkey is an emerging power in the region and would like to flex it's muscles a bit. The incident in which two Turkish jets were shot down by Syria could be another way in which the US could get involved (via their NATO partnership).

Well, this is all how I see it and understand it anyway. I could be misinformed, but thought I'd share what I think I know.

For some reason I didn't even consider that Gaf would have a thread on this. Never see it on the front page. Re:Bold, yeah, thats mainly why I wanted to speak to a native to get their take. The media is a complete joke for this entire ordeal, more so than normal. I enjoy your post, as it definitely coincides with a lot of the independent news gathering I've been doing, and offers a bit more perspective. Sure, none of us will ever know for sure. But its certainly not what is presented by the media at large. I think there is some value in knowing that truth.

After seeing what's happened in Egypt and Libya, I honestly don't know which will be worst.

The current regime or the anarchy terrorist safe haven afterwards.

Really curious as to what the Syrian's thoughts are? You believe that after defeating Assad you'll be able to pull your country together? Or do you believe in tolerating him in exchange for stability.

Riggs

Banned
Sentry had no idea you were over there , good luck to you and everyone there. Shit's to crazy in the world =/

MIMIC

Banned

:(

Like everyone else has said, stay safe!

noah111

Still Alive
Thanks you all. :) kinda sad that I'm the only gaffer though, would've loved to maybe meet up with some fellow gaffers/english speakers. :p

Fularu

Banned
This may sound stupid but I want to ask this. Sentry, is the leader of Syria as bad of a person as the media portrays him to be?
While he's an asshole, he isn't what the western media is portraying him as.

So far I've lost about 10 family members to the conflict (to the 'rebels' actually) and my uncles and aunts are doing their best to get my cousins outside of the country. My father is in Damascus right now.

Btw the Syrian "civil war" is a secular war in disguise.

noah111

Still Alive

So far I've lost about 10 family members to the conflict (to the 'rebels' actually) and my uncles and aunts are doing their best to get my cousins outside of the country. My father is in Damascus right now.

This is accurate. And i'm really sorry to hear that. :\

Cant seem to find that thread, can you please post the link? Thanks. :)

Fularu

Banned
This is accurate. And i'm really sorry to hear that. :
I honestly didn't know most of them, but hearing that your uncle's wife's brother got stabbed to death in front of their door for being a christian is unsettling.

Syria isn't a safe place by any means right now and the russian backed Koffi plan is only making everything worse by allowing the 'rebels' to prety much wreak havoc in the country while tying the military's hands.

The situation really has deteriorated a lot since Homs was retaken.

FStop7

Banned

What do you think about the US' involvement?

Cromat

All the Syrians have my best wishes from Israel. I hope your lives return to normal as quick as possible, with no more victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom