• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Early Reviews

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Er, no actually, the combat was about the only thing in that quick look that looked appealing. The rest either looked ropey as fuck or boring.

*shrug, I'm not expecting a landmark title, I fully expect the game to be a 7 or at most, 8 out of ten type of console port experience. I found Just Cause 2/Saints Row 3 to be boring and there has been a dearth of new sandbox games; this seems at least promising.

Xanathus

It's surprising how many open-world games are out back-to-back on the PC when I actually look at this month's game releases. Prototype 2, Amazing Spiderman, and Sleeping Dogs.

Jay Sosa

Just watched the GB QL and think it looks quite good.

You should probably use this one. More people will check out the game if you do.

Yeah, I agree. game needs as much help as we are able to give.

elfinke

That's because Ryan is apparently terrible at the simplified fighting (It's basically Arkham Asylum i.e. button mash the attack button with a few presses of the grapple button; with the occasional use of a dodge/counter button against an enemies highly telegraphed attack) and typical third-person shooting mechanics in Sleeping Dogs. More generally, for sandbox type games, edited footage of a longer play through showing a overview of the game is a better choice than a straight 35 minutes. But the unskilled nature of the player is the primary problem with the GB Quicklook. Machinima did a more competent and thorough preview. (Yes I realized that talking over prerecorded gameplay is easier than doing both on the fly. Some games need to be done in the former manner rather than the latter.)

Everything that sucked in the GB quick look is present in that video - paricularly the hilariously bad combat (to be fair, watching someone play either of the Batman games isn't enthralling either - that kind of combat just doesn't translate well to passive consumption) and the city pop-in. This game still looks like a turd that has the odd passed through gem in it, I think. Still, I want to play it to know for sure. There is something there.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
will there be a demo?

It's a current gen sandbox game, my gut says maybe.

pSb52.jpg

/Most likely not.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The combat animations are still a bit stiff but the actual melee combat itself looks like a lot of fun in my opinion.

I dunno. I enjoy when sandbox games try to do more with shooting and melee abilities versus the usual safe path of "mash attack to play one melee animation".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Still surprised that Sleeping Dogs preview build didn't leak. I remember when the Deus Ex one leaked. Everyone on Gaf trying to figure out, 'can we talk about this? i don't want to talk about it if it gets me banned'

dreamfall

I really hope there is a PC DEMO! Definitely pre-purchased on Steam, just patiently waiting the 14th by getting lost in Skyrim. This game is going to be so wonderful. So close now!

Herb

Banned
Awesome video. Was worth stressing out about that 4th item.

I bet it was a ton of fun recording the animation for some of those kills. :D

Top Bottom