• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Early Reviews

MRORANGE

Sleeping Dogs |OT| Squeenix Gave A Dog A Bone

This one is good

Sleeping Dogs |OT| 香港的清醒狗

not getting the joke or bad translation? :

pGUK4.png

Sleeping Dogs |OT| It's a True Crime Activision slept on publishing this

:lol going for this one I think, gonna add the back story of the Activision fiasco as well.

There sure is a lot of DLC planned for this game. So far we know of the three pre-order packs:

- Police Protection
- Martial Arts
- GSP

But there's also:

- HiRes DLC Retail
- Deep Undercover Pack
- The Dragon Master Pack
- Drunken Master
- Nightmare in North Point
- Square Pack
- Zodiac Tournament
- Chinese New Year
- Transportation Terror Pack
- Tactical Soldier
- Movie Masters #1

I think this is the full list:

• Sleeping Dogs - Japanese Presell Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - Prima Guide
  • Sleeping Dogs - Retro Triad Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - Top Dog Silver Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - Top Dog Gold Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - The Red Envelope Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - The High Roller Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - The Swat Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - Tactical Soldier
  • Sleeping Dogs - Street Racer Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - Movie Masters #1
  • Sleeping Dogs - Police Protection Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - Martial Arts Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - GSP Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - Deep Undercover Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - Triad Enforcer Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - The Dragon Master Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - The Drunken Master
  • Sleeping Dogs - Nightmare in North Point
  • Sleeping Dogs - Square Pack
  • Sleeping Dogs - Zodiac Tournament
  • Sleeping Dogs - Transportation Terror Pack

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think the OT title need to have True Crime in it (like this is true Crime sequel/spiritual successor) to draw original series fans attention to the game, this is more way important than a funny or wired sub title imho.

Yagharek

I think the OT title need to have True Crime in it (like this is true Crime sequel/spiritual successor) to draw original series fans attention to the game, this is more way important than a funny or wired sub title imho.

Apparently it was developed as an original IP before Activision branded it true crime. Then they shelved it and here we are with Sleeping Dogs.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Apparently it was developed as an original IP before Activision branded it true crime. Then they shelved it and here we are with Sleeping Dogs.

:|

So at first Activision a wanted an open world game, then when it looked nice they duct taped True Crime name to it so they can revive that series but after that it wasn't good enough for them and sold it.

oh Activision.

Yagharek

So at first Activision a wanted an open world game, then when it looked nice they duct taped True Crime name to it so they can revive that series but after that it wasn't good enough for them and sold it.

oh Activision.

This is according to my reading of an interview with one of the development studio founders in games tm mag.

Hope I got it right.

Still, good on SE for stepping up.

iNvid02

I think this is the full list:

• massive list

yup, they're going toe to toe with saints row

i bought all of the sr3 dlc inc season pass and left disappointed, big time

wont be making the same mistake here, 1-2 proper beefy mission packs i might be able to get behind

@MUWANdo

Banned

oh Activision.

The original game was supposed to feature a Lucy Liu-style playable character, which Activision didn't like, hence the True Crime thing.

Haliela

in 26 days.

OT is gonna be awesome:

ibc49vRWaCOBGA.gif

Glassesless 3D!!!! ;p

Seriously, this game looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully it will be a success and allow me to purchase it without feeling guilty. I hate how I base so much on reviews even though I know better... I'm a fool T.T

This and Darksiders 2 on the same day. August is going to be insane.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The original game was supposed to feature a Lucy Liu-style playable character, which Activision didn't like, hence the True Crime thing.

Yeah I heard about the female protagonist,that was interesting and for sure it's more interesting than generic Asian dude #2452 we got here and I wish they kept her when they went with SE.

Dmax3901

Sleeping Dogs |OT| What's Updog? (lol)

Sleeping Dogs |OT| Once Upon a Crime in China.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| An Eastern Western.

Tiktaalik

Yeah I heard about the female protagonist,that was interesting and for sure it's more interesting than generic Asian dude #2452 we got here and I wish they kept her when they went with SE.

Is there a source for the female protagonist story? I've heard this claim as well but only in hearsay on forums. As far as I know it has always been Wei as the main character of UFG's game, but for a title in development as long as this I suppose a lot of ideas were thrown around in pre-production. Or perhaps the female protagonist in question was from a related, but abandoned internal Activision project?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Is there a source for the female protagonist story? I've heard this claim as well but only in hearsay on forums. As far as I know it has always been Wei as the main character of UFG's game, but for a title in development as long as this I suppose a lot of ideas were thrown around in pre-production. Or perhaps the female protagonist in question was from a related, but abandoned internal Activision project?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29719/InDepth_No_Female_Heroes_At_Activision.php

Hobs

Neo Member
Sleeping Dogs |OT| 香港的清醒狗

伏犬 or 睡犬 is more appropriate here instead of 清醒狗.
狗 could be used but it is more likely that 犬 is used in the title.

Smash88

Banned
I saw the quicklook on Giantbomb. The game doesn't look that good and looks extremely bland and generic for a GTA-esque game.

Pikma

Banned
getting materials for the OT and found this:

http://www.sleepingdogs.net/news/Just-Cause-Exclusive-Outfit

"With Sleeping Dogs only three weeks from release, today we're revealing an exclusive piece of bonus content for Just Cause fans. Sleeping Dogs players with a passion for Panau - and a Just Cause 2 game save on their hard drive - will gain access to a Rico Rodriguez’ trademark look.

Available in-game from launch in Wei Shen’s safehouse wardrobe, the unique Just Cause 2 clothes set will do more than add some swagger to your walk. Players stepping out onto the streets of Hong Kong dressed as the King of Chaos will gain a distinct boost to their action hijack ability, allowing them to perform stunt-style takeovers of enemy vehicles from an even greater distance.

This exclusive outfit will be available in-game from launch across all formats upon detection of a Just Cause 2 game save on the machine’s hard drive."

medium_image.jpg

I'm getting it, day one! :3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
伏犬 or 睡犬 is more appropriate here instead of 清醒狗.
狗 could be used but it is more likely that 犬 is used in the title.
I'm curious, do the Cantonese use 的 in written Chinese? Or would they use 嘅? Or is that contextual?

Jay Sosa

There sure is a lot of DLC planned for this game. So far we know of the three pre-order packs:

- Police Protection
- Martial Arts
- GSP

But there's also:

- HiRes DLC Retail
- Deep Undercover Pack
- The Dragon Master Pack
- Drunken Master
- Nightmare in North Point
- Square Pack
- Zodiac Tournament
- Chinese New Year
- Transportation Terror Pack
- Tactical Soldier
- Movie Masters #1

The GOTY edition it is then.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Same, completely killed any excitement I had for the game.

That's because Ryan is apparently terrible at the simplified fighting (It's basically Arkham Asylum i.e. button mash the attack button with a few presses of the grapple button; with the occasional use of a dodge/counter button against an enemies highly telegraphed attack) and typical third-person shooting mechanics in Sleeping Dogs. More generally, for sandbox type games, edited footage of a longer play through showing a overview of the game is a better choice than a straight 35 minutes. But the unskilled nature of the player is the primary problem with the GB Quicklook. Machinima did a more competent and thorough preview. (Yes I realized that talking over prerecorded gameplay is easier than doing both on the fly. Some games need to be done in the former manner rather than the latter.)

Top Bottom