• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

yesjacknicholson.gif

I have to say, I'm disappointed after reading about the Pats struggling in the first joint practice today. I know it doesn't mean much, but I want some dat perfection.

filler

Banned
Mike Goodson just went down after a helmet to helmet hit from LB Wheeler. His legs moved, but still being taken away on stretcher. 8[

filler

Banned
Someone will have to be signed, Taiwan Jones is out with a hammy. Those two are supposed to be fighting over the backup spot behind McFadden.

Vesmir

Banned
Late to the party but TO! 4.45! 10 TDs
that don't count
! Only 10 mil!

Can't wait for him to be benched by game 6!

mike singletary makes his triumphant return to san francisco on friday as linebackers coach for the vikings! cross won't save you from your long lost soul!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
With preseason games upon us, I think some of us should do a quick write up on the teams we follow. Most preseason games quickly turn into a morass of near-NFL talent running around lost and oblivious. While I'm sure many of us here tend to watch these games with an eye towards possible free agents, I think it would be more fun, entertaining and educational if we were to break down some of these games together. So, pick your team and write a few words on what everyone should be watching for, be it players or schema. When the rest of us watch your team, we will pay attention to the areas you cite and post our thoughts. Please try to include numbers with player names so it's easier to follow. I'm going to break the Steelers down position-by-position, but feel free to do whatever floats your boat. I'll link any write ups in the op, so they can be easily seen and read. Without further ado:

What to watch for:
Pittsburgh Steelers

The 'rebuilding on the fly' will continue. There will be personnel changes at a variety of positions, most notably, the o-line (again).

OFFENSE

The biggest changes will occur on the offensive side of the ball where Todd Haley takes over for Bruce Arians. It will be interesting to see where the offense goes, because Haley is known for taking advantage of the talent he is given.

QB - Ben Roethlisberger(7) isn't going anywhere. Byron Leftwich(4) appears to be solidly entrenched at #2. Old Mr. Glass, Charlie Batch(16) will probably be the third, but UDFA, Jerrod Johnson(8) appears to be making some inroads at camp.

RB - Rashard Mendenhall tore an acl late last year and will probably begin the season on the PUP list. That leaves starting duties to Isaac Redmen(33). Redmen is more of a power back than Mendenhall, and certainly doesn't have the same top speed. IMO, the Steelers will probably use more of a RB rotation. So, players in the mix include: Baron Batch(20), John Clay(38), Jonathan Dwyer(27), and rookie speedster, Chris Rainey(22). Additionally, during camp, a fullback has been employed fairly often. There is only one FB on the roster, Will Johnson(46). David Johnson(85), officially a TE, has been used as a FB and H-back. Not all of these guys are making the team. It will be interesting to see if one of these guys can make a good impression during the preseason games.

TE - Heath Miller(83) is one of the better all around TE's in the game. Behind him, things are not pretty. The Steelers currently have five TE's in camp hoping someone can win a job. The aforementioned David Johnson has a good shot because of his versatility. Wesley Saunders(82) is talented, but will begin the season suspended for four games due to PEDs, making his roster spot tenuous at best.

WR - Mike Wallace(17) is holding out for who knows how long. Beyond the starters and guys sure to make the team (Brown, Sanders, Cotchery) are a bunch of young guys fighting for a roster spot. Frankly, those guys will probably be sorted by how well they contribute on special teams.

*OL - Max Starks(78) and rookie Mike Adams(76) will battle for the LT position. Ramon Foster(73) and rookie David DeCastro(66) will battle for the RG position. The other three positions are set, barring injury. These are the players the Steelers took with their top two picks in the draft and it's here that I'll be watching during the preseason on offense.

DEFENSE

Last season, the Steelers were the number 1 ranked defense. They looked ragged on multiple occasions, however. Outside of Ike Taylor, no one had a stand out year. They were pathetic at creating take aways and big plays. Injuries and age were the main culprits. But Dick LeBeau showed that his schemes are top notch.

DL - Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke have retired. Casey Hampton also tore an acl late last year and will begin the season on the PUP-list. So what the heck are the Steelers going to do? At NT, Steve McClendon(90) will start and rookie Alameda Ta'amu(95) will back him up. Hopefully, Ta'amu will progress quickly. At DE, keep an eye on the progress of Cameron Heyward(97).

OLB - Always the premiere position of the Steelers defense, it looks no different this year. Unfortunately, James Harrison(92) is becoming injury prone and his back ups aren't quite up to the former defensive player of the year's level. Not even close. Jason Worilds(93) needs to improve and he's currently nursing a wrist injury. Chris Carter(54) sounds like he's coming into his own.

*ILB - James Farrior retired and Larry Foote(50) is probably in his last season. Lawrence Timmons(94) will start next to Foote. It's the battle for who will take over for Foote next year, that is the real show. Sean Spence(51) is a rookie and undersized, but it's his speed and insticts that will determine if he can play at the NFL level. With the advent of the new Goodell Football League, athleticism will be at a premium. Stevenson Sylvester(55) is also in the mix with Spence. Sylvester may also get some looks at OLB.

DB - Beyond the entrenched starters (Polumalu, Taylor, Clark), there is a ton of youth thanks to some previous shrewd drafting. Keenan Lewis(23) should be the other starting corner. Cortez Allen(28) will be the nickelback and Curtis Brown(31) the dime. Also:
myronrolle.png

* = what I'll be watching

I apologize for the verbosity.

With preseason games upon us, I think some of us should do a quick write up on the teams we follow. Most preseason

games quickly turn into a morass of near-NFL talent running around lost and oblivious. While I'm sure many of us

here tend to watch these games with an eye towards possible free agents, I think it would be more fun, entertaining

and educational if we were to break down some of these games together. So, pick your team and write a few words on

what everyone should be watching for, be it players or schema. When the rest of us watch your team, we will pay

attention to the areas you cite and post our thoughts. Please try to include numbers with player names so it's

easier to follow. I'm going to break the Steelers down position-by-position, but feel free to do whatever floats

your boat. I'll link any write ups in the op, so they can be easily seen and read. Without further ado:

What to watch for:
Pittsburgh Steelers

The 'rebuilding on the fly' will continue. There will be personnel changes at a variety of positions, most

notably, the o-line (again).

OFFENSE

The biggest changes will occur on the offensive side of the ball where Todd Haley takes over for Bruce Arians. It

will be interesting to see where the offense goes, because Haley is known for taking advantage of the talent he is

given.

QB - Ben Roethlisberger(7) isn't going anywhere. Byron Leftwich(4) appears to be solidly entrenched at #2. Old

Mr. Glass, Charlie Batch(16) will probably be the third, but UDFA, Jerrod Johnson(8) appears to be making some

inroads at camp.

RB - Rashard Mendenhall tore an acl late last year and will probably begin the season on the PUP list. That leaves

starting duties to Isaac Redmen(33). Redmen is more of a power back than Mendenhall, and certainly doesn't have

the same top speed. IMO, the Steelers will probably use more of a RB rotation. So, players in the mix include:

Baron Batch(20), John Clay(38), Jonathan Dwyer(27), and rookie speedster, Chris Rainey(22). Additionally, during

camp, a fullback has been employed fairly often. There is only one FB on the roster, Will Johnson(46). David

Johnson(85), officially a TE, has been used as a FB and H-back. Not all of these guys are making the team. It

will be interesting to see if one of these guys can make a good impression during the preseason games.

TE - Heath Miller(83) is one of the better all around TE's in the game. Behind him, things are not pretty. The

Steelers currently have five TE's in camp hoping someone can win a job. The aforementioned David Johnson has a

good shot because of his versatility. Wesley Saunders(82) is talented, but will begin the season suspended for

four games due to PEDs, making his roster spot tenuous at best.

WR - Mike Wallace(17) is holding out for who knows how long. Beyond the starters and guys sure to make the team

(Brown, Sanders, Cotchery) are a bunch of young guys fighting for a roster spot. Frankly, those guys will probably

be sorted by how well they contribute on special teams.

*OL - Max Starks(78) and rookie Mike Adams(76) will battle for the LT position. Ramon Foster(73) and rookie David

DeCastro(66) will battle for the RG position. The other three positions are set, barring injury. These are the

players the Steelers took with their top two picks in the draft and it's here that I'll be watching during the

preseason on offense.

DEFENSE

Last season, the Steelers were the number 1 ranked defense. They looked ragged on multiple occasions, however.

Outside of Ike Taylor, no one had a stand out year. They were pathetic at creating take aways and big plays.

Injuries and age were the main culprits. But Dick LeBeau showed that his schemes are top notch.

DL - Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke have retired. Casey Hampton also tore an acl late last year and will begin the

season on the PUP-list. So what the heck are the Steelers going to do? At NT, Steve McClendon(90) will start and

rookie Alameda Ta'amu(95) will back him up. Hopefully, Ta'amu will progress quickly. At DE, keep an eye on the

progress of Cameron Heyward(97).

OLB - Always the premiere position of the Steelers defense, it looks no different this year. Unfortunately, James

Harrison(92) is becoming injury prone and his back ups aren't quite up to the former defensive player of the year's

level. Not even close. Jason Worilds(93) needs to improve and he's currently nursing a wrist injury. Chris

Carter(54) sounds like he's coming into his own.

*ILB - James Farrior retired and Larry Foote(50) is probably in his last season. Lawrence Timmons(94) will start

next to Foote. It's the battle for who will take over for Foote next year, that is the real show. Sean Spence

(51) is a rookie and undersized, but it's his speed and insticts that will determine if he can play at the NFL

level. With the advent of the new Goodell Football League, athleticism will be at a premium. Stevenson Sylvester

(55) is also in the mix with Spence. Sylvester may also get some looks at OLB.

DB - Beyond the entrenched starters (Polumalu, Taylor, Clark), there is a ton of youth thanks to some previous

shrewd drafting. Keenan Lewis(23) should be the other starting corner. Cortez Allen(28) will be the nickelback

and Curtis Brown(31) the dime. Also:
myronrolle.png

* = what I'll be watching

I apologize for the verbosity.

Drunk as hell writin' essays an shit.

squicken

Thanks for that writeup Chuck. Rams play an NFLN game on Sunday vs Colts, so I'll put something up before then. Hope others participate, even if not that thorough

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Thanks for that writeup Chuck. Rams play an NFLN game on Sunday vs Colts, so I'll put something up before then. Hope others participate, even if not that thorough

Thanks. I hope someone writes something up for the Colts, too. Rams v Colts primetime Sunday...sounds more apt for Monday Night Football.

Is it just a free for all? If so, I'll write something up for Denver.

Yeah. Go crazy. There's a bunch of examples in last year's preseason thread, but it's 20,000 posts long...

Godslay

Banned
Thanks. I hope someone writes something up for the Colts, too. Rams v Colts primetime Sunday...sounds more apt for Monday Night Football.

Yeah. Go crazy. There's a bunch of examples in last year's preseason thread, but it's 20,000 posts long...

I saw the one Supreme1 wrote last year, just wasn't sure if there was a pecking order.

cdyhybrid

What to watch, Seahawks edition:

-Who wins QB?
-Will TO/Braylon Edwards/Kellan Winslow Jr. get their shit together or will they act a fool and get the boot from Pete in Week 2?
-What the fuck is going on with the O-line and its revolving door onto the IR?
-Does Marshawn Lynch like Skittles-flavored vodka as his beverage of choice for the drive home?
-Is Doug Baldwin by himself the top 3 or the top 5 slot receivers in the league?
-Is it physically possible for the defense to be better? Is the over/under on future HoFers on the defense being set at 9.5 too low?

Godslay

Banned

-Who wins QB?
-Will TO/Braylon Edwards/Kellan Winslow Jr. get their shit together or will they act a fool and get the boot from Pete in Week 2?
-Does Marshawn Lynch like Skittles-flavored vodka as his beverage of choice for the drive home?
-Is Doug Baldwin by himself the top 3 or the top 5 slot receivers in the league?
-Is it physically possible for the defense to be better? Is the over/under on future HoFers on the defense being set at 9.5 too low?

What's the likelihood of Lynch getting suspended? Haven't followed it too close.

-Who wins QB?

act a fool

squicken

It's actually a day game. The only preseason game that day. I don't think they are sending their announcing team or anything. Just carrying the local feeds like they'll do for most preseason games they carry

cdyhybrid

What's the likelihood of Lynch getting suspended? Haven't followed it too close.

Depends on whether Goodell considers DUI a substance abuse violation or a personal conduct policy violation. It's his first substance offense, so it would probably just be a fine in that case (2 game checks I think?). If Goodell considers it a personal conduct violation, he could face a suspension based on his previous violations a few years ago while in Buffalo.

The Panthers' first preseason game is on Saturday, if no one's written something up (I'm looking at you Bowser, Joe, and Crosby) by then, I'll put something together.

Also, going to the game against the Dolphins next week in Charlotte. I'll have a chance to get a good look at the team in person (and MAYBE EVEN GET ON HARD KNOCKS, WOOT!).

Godslay

Banned
Depends on whether Goodell considers DUI a substance abuse violation or a personal conduct policy violation. It's his first substance offense, so it would probably just be a fine in that case (2 game checks I think?). If Goodell considers it a personal conduct violation, he could face a suspension based on his previous violations a few years ago while in Buffalo.

Interesting, I wonder where Roger goes on this one.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I was googling "Marshawn Lynch suspension" when I found this.
HcfkJ.jpg

EDIT:
Did I just see Kerry Wood and Andre Dawson doing the discount double check at Wrigley Field? What is happening? Is this some alternate dimension where Rodgers plays for the Bears?

Nice writeup, chuck.

I'll do a extremely lazy Packers one.

Defense:

NT - Raji sucks.
DL - Pickett is old, everyone else sucks. I think we drafted some dude out of MSU, maybe he'll be alright.
OLB - Matthews is good, we drafted some dude from USC, everyone else sucks.
ILB - Bishop's alright, AJ Hawk sucks. Maybe Hawk will get hurt late in the year and DJ Smith can steal his job for a playoff run.
CB - Tramon is good, Jarrett Bush is currently slotted in at the other CB tebow christ we are effed.
S - Best safety in the league assumes his rightful position! But opposite Woodson, Burnett is faaar from being Nick Collins and we are so boned. (he'll actually probably be alright, but I'm still recovering from the CB sentence.)

Offense:

QB - WOOOO!
RB - who cares? Hope we find a 3rd down back that can reliably pick up a blitz!
WR - WOOO!
TE - WOOO!
C - Hope Saturday has something left in the tank.
G - woo?
T - Apparently all our OTs are hurt, so that could be bad.

Top Bottom