• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Amazing ZombiU trailer

Alex

Zombies are a terribly boring type of enemy, but they usually drive great thematics and setups, there's a reason I say I dislike zombies then buy multiple games a year featuring them. :lol Sadly, developers don't seem to get that you can make survival games, apocalyptic games and sorts of other human drama elements without zombies.

See, I want the opposite. I want to experience my first death within minutes of starting to game. I want to be repeatedly brutalized until I eventually evolve into a hardened, zombie slaying badass motherfucker. The whole rougelike survival thing is best when surviving is a daunting task. This could be what makes or breaks this game for me. I don't have to much hope in Ubisoft delivering such an experience, but I do hope for some finely tuned difficulty levels.

Thats exactly what I want. I remember playing Dark Souls for the first time and getting completely owned. Now I go into all the battles hardened as hell owning everything and I love it!

Playing it on easy just completely changes your experience to something worst than it should of been.

Alex

I hope for good things from the game, but all of these Dark Souls parallels and wishes are going to wind up breaking some hearts.

Honestly the biggest thing this game has going against it is that zombi(e) games have become a played out generic genre, and Left 4 Dead is considered the default zombie shooter.

Regardless of how the game turns out (tho most impressions are good), the main draw it has, is in being an actual survival horror game focused on resource management and slow, careful survival.

However looking at any one screen shot, the average person is going to say "LOL looks like Left 4 Dead I have that on Steam."

I will point out, related to a few impressions where folks have said something feels wrong - mainly that their character picks up a bat and doesn't do much damage - one thing that may have been underexplained in demonstrations, as I understand it, is that your character starts out weak and gets more effective at using weapons the more you use them.

So you don't do damage with a cricket bat at first, until you pump up. That sort of thing. You're not a good shot with a pistol at first, until your accuracy improves. The survivors are supposed to be normal people unprepared for the apocalypse. This is how I've seen it explained by the director.

I didnt know this at all. Now I really cant wait to get my hands on this! Makes you care about your character dying a lot more when its perma death and you lose those vital skills you just learned.

Neiteio

The weapons in your hands look like piddly pea shooters -- your hands look piddly as well -- and I get a sense of spongy feedback from the way you interact with the environment (I.E. you might as well be shooting muffins). But maybe there are previews that speak to the contrary and say there's a strong sense of cause/effect, action/reaction that gives real weight to the gunplay, actions, etc? Because conceptually it looks inspired, but the execution? Not so sure.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
well thats not true AT ALL,i still remember a lot of positive impresions of red steel months before the launch

No, the impressions were only mostly positive when it was revealed in Game Informer a month before E3. Then at E3 most impressions were lukewarm, but filled with hope. Months later that slowly turn to the realization that Red Steel 1 just sucked.

It never had extremely positive impressions.

Flakster99

I want this game. Everything about it looks utterly fantastic. I'm quite surprised, actually, which is nice for a change. :)

Outside of the abysmal sword duels, I enjoyed the hell out of Red Steel. Completely serious. Flawed, but really fun.

On topic...are there other types of enemies, or only varying zombies? I know that whole ghost woman is there, but anything else?

RedSwirl

Zombie U doesn't look like it's gonna turn out to be another Red Steel to me. When I saw RS I could immediately tell it was going to be a mediocre game. I even thought the same about ZU - until I actually saw the gameplay footage and read up on what the game was actually about. In my opinion it's one of the most interesting zombie games yet and sounds like it's actually trying to put some tension on the player. I didn't even give RS a second look but I'll at least rent ZU if I do buy a Wii U.

I was able to play single and multi player ZombiU at the Wii U Experience in Austin, and the controls aren't bad they just take some time to get used (No hip firing, and first time using controller) to which is bad for an event where you've got a line of people behind you to play or a set amount of time to play.

I will say though that the GamePad stuff felt great. Managing your inventory and scanning the environment worked well. Multiplayer was pretty hectic for me because the guy I was up against just kept spawning zombies around me like crazy and ignored capturing the points around the map. That mode though has the player using the Pro controller and it felt good, but I missed having the inventory and map on the controller.

Video of me playing ZombiU Multiplayer Sorry for the crummy quality and vertical ratio my wife was shooting the video on her iPhone.

The thing about ZombiU is that, while I don't think it will be much like Red Steel at all, I feel the game is being rushed and could use more time to become really fleshed out.

I know being at launch is the goal but I hope it sells as the sequel will probably be much more polished and have much more features.

If it's an 8 game or higher, I will be interested in getting it.

I don't know much about ZombiU but I'm really curious about the online play.

Is the online play dramatically different than the off-line? How does the online play work?

I'm likely to get this at launch. Not getting too hyped but I do like the concepts. Hopefully, it doesn't have clunky controls, but for some reason it seems like it would. I have no clue and haven't tried it, just a feeling I got when watching certain parts. I'm also concerned that it's going to be a little on the short side. Hopefully, they do something to add some replay value. In the end though, the concepts they've presented will be enough for me to give it a shot on/around launch.

I shed a single tear when I saw the player control the gun via the twin sticks. Hooray for regression...

Yeah shoot me, I'm one of those crazies who thinks the IR pointer on the Wiimote/Move is far superior to the twin sticks. Hell, I think ANYTHING is superior to the twin sticks.

I don't know how cumbersome it'd be, but I want an option to have the sniper-scope-style aiming be universal across all weapons. That's how much I despise shooters on twin sticks.

Medalion

Banned
I shed a single tear when I saw the player control the gun via the twin sticks. Hooray for regression...

Yeah shoot me, I'm one of those crazies who thinks the IR pointer on the Wiimote/Move is far superior to the twin sticks. Hell, I think ANYTHING is superior to the twin sticks.

I don't know how cumbersome it'd be, but I want an option to have the sniper-scope-style aiming be universal across all weapons. That's how much I despise shooters on twin sticks.
The system is still compatible with Wiimotes

I dunno if they've commented if this game will support that option though

The system is still compatible with Wiimotes

I dunno if they've commented if this game will support that option though

But then comes the tradeoffs. The whole aspect of having to manage inventory while the game is still running Demon's/Dark souls style, fiddling with doors, etc. would all be lost.

Lachie007

Seeing as the game is taking some real life locations-not just buckingham palace but train stations etc. I'm thinking if i lived there or travelled there the game would be even cooler to experience.

zoukka

Probably not buying this, but the ideas of friends dying and turning into zombies and the graffitis are really neat. Dark Souls kind of thinking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ZombiU integrates the GamePad far, far too heavily into the core design philosophy to offer a pointer option. I'm torn on the matter. I loathe dual analogue and find pointer controls to far more precisely emulate the feeling of a mouse and better connect a first person weapon to the act of aiming with your hand. But a significant portion of ZombiU's appeal is the GamePad usage, and it wouldn't be possible with pointer aiming.

Yup

existenz.jpg

(eXistenZ)

An absolutely fantastic film!!!

I really can't wait to play ZombiU. I'm sick and tired of games being way too easy these days, it's about bloody time we had a game that's a challenge. I'm also hoping you can turn off the crosshairs!!!

ElRenoRaven

An absolutely fantastic film!!!

I really can't wait to play ZombiU. I'm sick and tired of games being way too easy these days, it's about bloody time we had a game that's a challenge. I'm also hoping you can turn off the crosshairs!!!

Yup. I don't know why but Zombi U has sold me a Wii U. I love Zombie games but this one just seems so unique that I can't pass it up.

• The concept of scavenging in a dangerous enironment and being vulnerable seems to have been well realised in gameplay.
  • The concept of your character becoming more experienced in weapon use and accruing scavenged weapons and items makes the perma-death aspect more compelling -- you lose your shit, you've gotta go find Zombie-You and get it back. Assuming you don't run out of survivors to play with.
  • The social interaction aspects are cool.
  • It looks good. Voicework sounds good. Production values look good. Seems like it have a few cleverly scripted jumps and scares.
  • The scenario - post apocalyptic London - the London underground, the Mall, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge etc ---- it looks cool!

I honestly don't see why anyone would be down on the game actually.

This ^^

Although I do have one small correction and one small addition to make. The slight correction is that the scripted events change from game to game as do the amount and placement of zombies, meaning that just about every playthrough of the game is going to be slightly different. Things that make you jump during your first playthrough may or may not be there the next time and will be replaced by other stingers.

And one addition that I myself didn't think of until someone on another forum pointed out was that each time you die, you make the enemy stronger. And the same thing I would think applies every time one of your friends dies too...although I'm pretty sure that Ubisoft have some sort of restrictions put in place, otherwise we'll end up having a Dead Rising situation on our hands lololol.

really guys,some of you need to play the game,hype is gona hurt you at the end,and this game was my reason to buy the console,after playing it i really dont know,i asked the ubisoft guy if this is a old beta or something,and no,was the near complete game and feels unpolished and cumbersome.

in the same event rayman was playable and was so much better experience

ozfunghi

Zombies are a terribly boring type of enemy...

They're the perfect target. Literally and figuratively. No remorse, no ethical objections for killing tons and tons of zombies in the most demeaning ways possible. Decapitate a zombie with a dull hacksaw and nobody as much as raises an eyebrow.

bill0527

I dont know what scares me more, the games concept, or the fact that I've been "bitten" before, buying a Ubisoft launch game. Decisions decisions.

Yeah I've been burned before too on UBIs launch garbage.

ACIII is a no brainer if you're a fan of the series. No way they will fuck up their flagship franchise.

Rayman will probably be good because it's established.

But with a new launch IP from UBI, you might as well spend your money on lotto tickets. Definitely a wait and see with this one.

really guys,some of you need to play the game,hype is gona hurt you at the end,and this game was my reason to buy the console,after playing it i really dont know,i asked the ubisoft guy if this is a old beta or something,and no,was the near complete game and feels unpolished and cumbersome.

Too bad too hear because this is the game i want to buy at launch.

ironcreed

Banned
This is the game that makes me want one at launch. It looks genuinely like good old zombie survival horror, but with a completely new way to play games.

ElRenoRaven

See the secret is to expect mediocre from Ubisoft. Also expect tons of bugs. I find if you go in expecting that you can enjoy and even sometimes love their games.

ironcreed

Banned
While I don't think it will be some masterpiece, I do think it will be a more than solid launch title that offers a fun new way to play. Game looks really immersive as well. Can't ask for more with this kind of game.

meta4

Disappointing to hear. I always thought looking down the gamepad constantly could be frustrating. Why would you want to control a turret using the gamepad. What purpose does it serve. I can understand lockpicking could add tension if you shift it to the gamepad but why turret sequences? I hate unnecessary gimmicks like this.

D-e-f-

Banned
Screen-dump copied over from the press assets thread.

Here are some shots I've taken from the NoE Nintendo Direct.

Brought to you by:
2324715-doublesatoru.jpg

2324692-zombiucrafting.jpg

Crafting / Weapon upgrades

2324694-zombiumaptravel.jpg

World map + quick travel (the game isn't open world so that's how you get around, seems like it's not necessarily linear, though?) ... sorry for the blurry shot. Couldn't get it any clearer off the YouTube trailer

2324695-zombiupastlife.jpg

Your past self now roams the streets. "Score" displayed. Interesting!

2324696-zombiuloot.jpg

Flares confirmed! Hopefully they will look as awesome as in Alan Wake.

2324697-zombiumenu.jpg

Main Menu. Uplay confirmed. What is the map launcher? Is that maybe just a pre-release demo thing?

2324698-zombiuskills.jpg

Weapon skills. Man, it's gonna be a pain in the ass if you die and all your shotgun skills are back to zero again.

2324699-zombiumessagecreating.jpg

This is how you create a message without having to worry about language barriers. Pretty sweet idea!

2324701-zombiumessageworld.jpg

That's the finished project on a random wall.

2324702-zombiumessagereading.jpg

That's how you read those messages with your blacklight scanner.

2324703-zombiufriendnotoficationpopup.jpg

There we have the in-game pop-up again when a friend bites the dust.

2324704-zombiufriendnotificationsgamepad.jpg

You can check where your friend's dead zombie ass is milling about.

2324705-zombiufriendinworld.jpg

Are you hungry or just happy to see me? Hopefully not both. (Also displays their score, again, interesting!)

2324706-zombiuprevioussurvivors.jpg

Here you can check out how much you've screwed up already.

2324708-zombiuleaderboards.jpg

The leaderboard-screen.

Watch Shibata narrate the whole thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nE4hLZDg88&feature=player_detailpage#t=1325s

I have also taken some shots from the London Tower trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77FfpBcRf_8)

This looks like a very standard zombie first-person shooter with a few Wii U-specific features that seem pretty minor. Why the excitement?

I think the same. Not that I expected something from Ubisoft that could compare with Resident Evil 4 or Left 4 Dead.

You guys seem to have not read a single piece of information about what this game actually is, right? This is absolutely not a standard zombie FPS in any way.

Leaving messages for friends and seeing notifications that they've been infected sounds cool as hell. Really Demon's Souls - esque as everyone's been saying. Hope it turns out well though, there have been a few niggling hands on impressions as of late

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Should have told you this earlier, that was an awesome post D-e-f.

I thought the game would use Miiverse, what will Uplay add to this?

Top Bottom