• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Predicts Top PS3 Titles

Shawn

Banned
The highest rated games are going to be the best sellers. And going by initial impressions, it sounds like Resistance is going to be the highest rated game.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The Heavenly Sword date speculation really shouldn't surprise folks... though most us hope it'll be out sooner, most of us also thinking with the realistic side of brains were figuring Q1 '07.

raYne

DarienA said:
Resistance: Fall of Man seems to be in the catbird seat.
As it should be.

COD3 is a bit high, Heavenly Sword is too low... and Untold Legends is WAY too high.

bud

PS3 will sell out in its first six months. It may be generous, but let’s assume Sony can get equivalent numbers of PS3s out as MS did with Xbox 360 – that means a maximum of 1.5 million PS3s will be out there in April. Our predicted sales figures are for this period; not lifetime.

Sony still says that they'll ship 6 mln consoles before the end of march. That would be doable as they go to the 65nm in january...

Jim

raYne said:
As it should be.

COD3 is a bit high, Heavenly Sword is too low... and Untold Legends it WAY too high.

Hah, yeah.

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
Forecasted Sales: ~250,000

So it'll outsell Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Sonic the Hedgehog, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, NBA 2K7, NBA Live 07, Tony Hawk’s Project 8 and Genji: Days of the Blade?

Seems a wee bit optimistic. But I guess it can happen.

Heavenly Sword will most likely get a HUUGE marketing push come March, and it'll do better than predicted.

Wollan

raYne said:
Untold Legends is WAY too high.

Not necessarily. People are hungry for rpg experiences and this one is in the diablo item fest style. The first one was the best selling PSP game in NA for a good while with several hundred thousand copies sold.

Personal speculation: 3 million copies of Resistance sold worldwide before end of 2007? Very likely imho.

Elios83

IMO their wrong,I don't know if they're talking about US only but I think in Europe games like Motorstorm and HS will do much better than other titles in their list.But we'll see.

I thought Call of Duty 3 wasn't confirmed for Launch Date? Sounded like it went back and forth a few times. Either way, can't wait for Resistance! :)

raYne

Wollan said:
Not necessary. People are hungry for rpg experiences and this one is in the diablo item fest style. The first one was the best selling PSP game in NA for a good while with several hundred thousand copies sold.
Stop quoting my spelling error you sobs. :(

We'll see... I don't think it'll do that well. Especially not above all the games listed under it. Still, those are all multiplatform.. so I guess there's a chance.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
next gen said:
Warhawk has had the full brunt of Sony’s marketing power behind it for over a year now, so the name is almost synonymous with PlayStation 3 at this point. It’ll probably be largely successful purely on this name recognition then, even though the graphical bait-and-switch that was pulled with this title between E3 ’05 and E3 ’06 might leave some of those purchasers disappointed.
*grinds teeth* There was no bait and switch, you ************s!

Interesting things to discuss about the launch is the following predictions:

Number of consoles through April at 1.5 million. I assume this is North America only.
Lower Attach rate on software sales because of PS3 price and people purchasing Blu-Ray movies as well as games.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
"
Heavenly Sword
Publisher: SCEA
Developer: Ninja Theory
Estimated Release Date: Q1 2007
Forecasted Sales: ~350,000"

Bah

I think those numbers are all right, considering these numbers are only for the first 6 months of the PS3's life, the PS3's installed userbase at the time, and the fact that HS is coming out in March.

It could very well sell even higher in its first month, though. :p

thirty

Banned
all those numbers are way too high. that extra $200 spent on the system could have been money that would usually translate into software sales.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, so it's confirmed that Ninja Gaiden Next will be released to the PS3, also?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PhatSaqs said:
Rumor is its true tho.

The latest is that Itagaki's pretty much said it'll come to 360 first if nothing else, no? This smells like those WoW rumours pre E3 :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Next Gen seems to contradict themselves...they say that they're assuming PS3 game software won't achieve same attach rate that 360 games did (4.5) for the early period they're predicting, yet totaling up the software sales for all the games listed and factoring in the 1.5 million PS3 unit sales they're predicting, it's basically a 4.5 attach rate as well.

PhatSaqs said:
Rumor is its true tho.
I thought Itagaki himself basically debunked that in a recent interview though, didn't he? Or are we talking a multiplatform release here?

Edit: nvm. NGB, I see.

jett

D-Member
Aw snap.

If it IS Black though, Itagaki and keep his lazy current-gen port to himself. But uh I somehow doubt that.

thirty

Banned
kaching said:
Next Gen seems to contradict themselves...they say that they're assuming PS3 game software won't achieve same attach rate that 360 games did (4.5) for the early period they're predicting, yet totaling up the software sales for all the games listed and factoring in the 1.5 million PS3 unit sales they're predicting, it's basically a 4.5 attach rate as well.

they also dont seem to be factoring in dollars that will most CERTAINLY flow toward nintendo and the Wii instead of the ps3 this holiday.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Luckyman said:

Ah, I forgot about that. Is that the only source on that rumour?

I imagine if it was happening, the motivation to do it would be because they intend to put #2 on the system, and don't want to put it on the system without having NG on there too (i.e. they want to prepare the audience). I still think it's a big IF, however, I don't see much to persuade me (EGM's rumour section doesn't cut it :p).

Mmmkay

Elios83 said:
Oh you have heard that rumor too ;)?
So it could be a nice surprise at TGS from Tecmo.
I suppose, would they call this the Resident Evil movement? Like how Capcom went to great lengths porting everything and anything RE to Gamecube for the arrival of RE4. If NG2 were to appear on PS3, it would stand a much better chance of success if it had NG. That is if this is true of course.

Curse you gofreak!

Elios83

Mmmkay said:
I suppose, would they call this the Resident Evil movement? Like how Capcom went to great lengths porting everything and anything RE to Gamecube for the arrival of RE4. If NG2 were to appear on PS3, it would stand a much better chance of success if it had NG. That is if this is true of course.

Curse you gofreak!

Yup Ninja Gaiden Black on PS3 makes a lot of sense for Team Ninja bacause it let Playstation gamers know the series and the same time it wouldn't be a big betrayal for Microsoft as NG2 would premiere on 360.Moreover using an existing game allows Team Ninja to focus on learning the PS3 hardware.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Heavenly Sword? Selling like that with THESE animations?!

d689fab8d8.gif

29632f880f.gif

097ae328e3.gif

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
DarienA said:
Article is here Discuss.

Resistance: Fall of Man seems to be in the catbird seat.

They are solely looking at the 360's history and predicting the PS3. The PS3 is a completely different machine and will have a different more diverse user base. They generalizing too many things.

I agree with the games ranks but not with the sales numbers. Again they are assuming only 1.5 million PS3s by April. Also I think Untold Legends, MotorStorm and Warhawk to be higher in that list.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seiken said:
Heavenly Sword? Selling like that with THESE animations?!

Good games don't always sell well (assuming it will be a good game, of course ;)).

But Next-Gen are only counting up to April, and HS prob won't be out til Feb/March, so..those sales wouldn't be too bad at all.

I think Sony will be putting a lot behind it. They haven't spared much expense with its production from what we hear, so I doubt they'll let up when it comes to pushing it and marketing it. I'm sure they see it as a key upcoming new franchise.

Top Bottom