• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
New Page, New News

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xGPeNN9S0Fg

tumblr_lob7tepgFH1qi92gt_zps2df0e506.gif

botty

Banned
I feel like Xtina's vocals on Let There Be Love save it from being basic.

xtinalotus1.gif

Both of those songs are so good, and definitely have the potential to smash.

royalan

Even I'm warming up to Let There Be Love.

The production is basic radio fodder. There can be no denying that.

But for some reason I'm bopping regardless.

Xtina's vocals do save it (I mean, do you HEAR her in the background hitting F5s!?). If the production had been combined with some autotuned try-hard I wouldn't be at all here for it.

Xtina's vocals do save it. If the production had been combined with some autotuned try-hard I wouldn't be at all here for it.

Most would say the same about Your Body though. LTBL sounds like what YB wanted to be but failed.

EDIT: LOVE the way her voice cracks in the chorus for Circles. Love love it.

And Army of Me is getting the most hype on the interwebs it seems. Sounds like a Kelly Clarkson song in the verses but the chorus reminds me of a Chaka Khan/Whitney early 90s gay anthem. Riiiiiise uuuuuup!

botty

Banned

Xtina's vocals do save it. If the production had been combined with some autotuned try-hard I wouldn't be at all here for it.

It's actually the parts where the production slows down that I love it even more. Where Xtina is just being playful with her incredible vocals... those "Mmmmms" slay me.

royalan

Most would say the same about Your Body though. LTBL sounds like what YB wanted to be but failed.

EDIT: LOVE the way her voice cracks in the chorus for Circles. Love love it.

And Army of Me is getting the most hype on the interwebs it seems. Sounds like a Kelly Clarkson song in the verses but the chorus reminds me of a Chaka Khan/Whitney early 90s gay anthem. Riiiiiise uuuuuup!

Maaaaaaybe. I still love Your Body though. ;___;

This album is giving me 90s teas. Lotus Intro, the chorus for Army of Me (another potential smash tbh), ALL of Shut Up.....delightful ode to 90s Pop.

Please someone pull them off the stage, They are already basically recycling phrases from their first hit songs. One Direction won't last much longer. They were the new flavor for a few mins but their time should be coming to an end soon. Cuteness can only take u so far.
tumblr_ln3p5v9VmC1qibib0o1_400.gif

I wouldn't go THAT far.....cuteness can take you pretty damn far. Though at the rate that Harry and Zayn are getting plastered with tattoo's who knows.

At some point they are going to have to change things up if that want to last. I don't think that they have reached the point where they need to be worried quite yet..............

Trigger

The good sis Aguila has kept the OP so fresh and updated.

iSHRwglukmrhw.gif

It'll make things so much easier when someone asks for recommendations or when we need something new to listen to.

Mau ®

Listening to Lotus samples...

I think Army of Me and Red Hot Kinda Love should be the next singles (in that order too). Let There Be Love tbh still sounds like a Girl Gone Wild rip-off and I dont think it'll be as big as you guy think it will be, especially since that kind of sound is already tired now and radio is moving on from that.

Besides those 2 and the intro, nothing else seems to stand out IMO. Will wait for the album obviously.

botty

Banned

iSHRwglukmrhw.gif

It'll make things so much easier when someone asks for recommendations or when we need something new to listen to.

Yes, pop gaf under the reign of King Aguila has truly been a wonderful time. Like when Reagan was president.

iSHRwglukmrhw.gif

royalan

I'm on mobile so I can't post them, but by my count there are now 5 reviews of Lotus floating around from outlets who were invited to preview the album.

So far, all but the EW monstrosity are positive. ALREADY a better reception than Bionic got.

Now just give us promo Xtina!!!!

About to lose power again...

...Just wanted to drop by to point out (and I hope I'm not the first) that Xtincta's cover of Leona's cover of Sia's "Blank Page" is a loud, angry, offensive (and most of all overweight) vocal diarrhea-fueled mess of tragic girth.

OK, back to sleep until I get power again...

:-}

Artemisia

Banned
Yes, pop gaf under the reign of King Aguila has truly been a wonderful time. Like when Reagan was president.

Having all of your friends dying of a mysterious disease said to be related to your sexuality that the administration refused to acknowledge must have been WONDERFUL.

iSdevS1gTzcIO.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC

Aguila for OT4

Aw, thanks you guys

tumblr_lob7tepgFH1qi92gt_zps2df0e506.gif

But I'll be happy to pass the torch to somebody else for OT4. It's a lot of work.

...Just wanted to drop by to point out (and I hope I'm not the first) that Xtincta's cover of Leona's cover of Sia's "Blank Page" is a loud, angry, offensive (and most of all overweight) vocal diarrhea-fueled mess of tragic girth.

ibpiMtqzM2u7Er.gif

royalan

How is Xtina's version of Blank Page loud when she sings the chorus a step lower than Sia? Also, so far it's the most consistently praised track on the album.

But stay pressed, Sis. Wouldn't have you any other way. <3

Trigger

iHGjzUV63y79X.gif

Hope things get better soon! <3

Mumei

Having all of your friends dying of a mysterious disease said to be related to your sexuality that the administration refused to acknowledge must have been WONDERFUL.

iSdevS1gTzcIO.gif

Oh, they eventually acknowledged it. They made it a punchline of a joke at a press conference. Hilarious.

How is Xtina's version of Blank Page loud when she sings the chorus a step lower than Sia? Also, so far it's the most consistently praised track on the album.

But stay pressed, Sis. Wouldn't have you any other way. <3
Why must you always default to this same defense? "Stay pressed."

I am not "pressed."

I am, however, marginally displeased by the fact that Xtincta has thoroughly ravaged a classy, dignified, and emotional ballad and left nothing but an overwrought husk in her abdominous wake.

When's the power coming back?

Trigger

I am not "pressed."

I am, however, marginally displeased by the fact that Xtincta has thoroughly ravaged a classy, dignified, and emotional ballad and left nothing but an overwrought husk in her abdominous wake.

irUYuAwz6DDhA.gif

Blank Page is still my favorite so far tho

royalan

I am not "pressed."

Such a strong opinion considering you haven't heard the whole track. You haven't even heard the climax of the ballad.

You've heard a single chorus where Xtina is singing a half step Lower than the original singer, and using that to say she's "wrecked" a song you haven't even heard. You haven't heard all of Sia's original, you haven't heard Leona's version at all, and you haven't heard but 50 seconds of Xtina's more restrained version. Oh, but you just know she's ruined it.

You are the very definition of pressed right now, Babe.

botty

Banned
I just wanted to list how many videos Nicki Minaj has been in for 2012 (so far):

Feb 3rd - Give Me All Your Luvin*
April 6th - Beez in the Trap
April 26th - Starships
May 16th - Right by My Side
May 20th - Take it to the Head*
July 31st - Pound the Alarm
August 12th - I Luv Dem Strippers*
August 13th - Out of My Mind*
August 24th - I Am Your Leader
August 31st - Get Low*
October 12th - Beauty and a Beat*
October 18th - The Boys
October 26th - Va Va Voom
November 2nd - Girl on Fire*

I think she had the most video appearances in a single year ever.

ieBHxDm6IBUIj.gif

Such a strong opinion considering you haven't heard the whole track. You haven't even heard the climax of the ballad.

You've heard a single chorus where Xtina is singing a half step Lower than the original singer, and using that to say she's "wrecked" a song you haven't even heard. You haven't heard all of Sia's original, you haven't heard Leona's version at all, and you haven't heard but 50 seconds of Xtina's more restrained version. Oh, but you just know she's ruined it.

You are the very definition of pressed right now, Babe.

And she is doing all of that in the dark, under who knows how many inches of salt water.

ieBHxDm6IBUIj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom