• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

jediyoshi

What's going on? I'm trying to launch the game on Steam and I keep getting this error:

"The game is currently unavailable" (application running)

I didn't have this issue before. I verified the integrity of the files on Steam and everything checked out okay.

660ti/3570k for reference.

Open the task manager, look for hkship.exe and/or GameOverlayUI.exe and close em

jediyoshi

Ah ok must be something else. That error is usually the result of the game crashing but the executable still running making steam's overlay still run and think the game itself is still going.

Can you play Nightmare in North Point without downloading the patch? (on PS3) I can't seem to find where to launch it and downloading a one gig patch on my internet connection is not that fun.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Has there been any mods that disable the terrible camera shake when driving?

This is absolutely killing the game for me...

Downloading both the 1.7 title update patch plus the free Ghost Pig Pack DLC will eliminate the camera shake when driving at high speeds.

Downloading both the 1.7 title update patch plus the free Ghost Pig Pack DLC will eliminate the camera shake when driving at high speeds.

Doesn't steam automatically download updates? Or is this some sort of "beta" patch?

I know that one of the patch notes said it had the shake reduced, but it's still terrible to me, it's so "small" that becomes annoying and it looks more like stuttering then anything else. But if you focus on the character the game isn't stuttering at all.

Monkeythumbz

Doesn't steam automatically download updates? Or is this some sort of "beta" patch?

I know that one of the patch notes said it had the shake reduced, but it's still terrible to me, it's so "small" that becomes annoying and it looks more like stuttering then anything else. But if you focus on the character the game isn't stuttering at all.

It's not a beta patch so much as a combi-patch. See here for patch notes.

Been playing this for the past couple of days. Really really impressed. I love the melee in particular. The combination of grappling, punching, and countering is very smooth, and the different types of melee enemies you face keeps it fresh.

Thrakier

Try steam://install/216330

Did you get the High Res Pack working? It should work the same way as the Ghost Pig is free DLC as well.

It worked in the beginning but they somehow fixed it.

How stupid is it anyway to provide patch fixes via DLC!? I paid the same money for the game as people from other countries as well, so I do think that I should get the same gamefixes as well.

_machine

It worked in the beginning but they somehow fixed it.

How stupid is it anyway to provide patch fixes via DLC!? I paid the same money for the game as people from other countries as well, so I do think that I should get the same gamefixes as well.
Aw shucks, I don't think I'm any help then.

I guess the reason lies with the console patch verification process and the costs; it's easier and cheaper for the devs to make the patches "identical" for each version and since they've run out free patches it's wiser to include the remaining small fixes in the free DLC. Hopefully SE will find a way to get the DLC to Germany soon.

I think I'm finally going to have the time to get into Nightmare in North Point this weekend

I'm surprised at how little chatter about it there has been in this thread (unless there is a separate thread for it that I missed?) The DLC looks excellent

Fonz72

I'm only an hour or so in, and I must say I am impressed. It's like a GTA for grownups! LOL. The voice acting is superb, and man it looks good. Still not quite used to the fighting style, but but feels great when you chain several melees, grapples, and counters. I'm sure a few more hours in and I'll be able to pull it off smoothly every time.

otapnam

ughhh no deals listed so for on Black Friday for this! Should've jumped in at the $40 price point on the gold box a few weeks ago

Monkeythumbz

I think I'm finally going to have the time to get into Nightmare in North Point this weekend

I'm surprised at how little chatter about it there has been in this thread (unless there is a separate thread for it that I missed?) The DLC looks excellent
Here you go:

BUt I'm in germany, I can't access any of the DLC and buying isn't an option...obviously. What now?
Moving forwards, Sleeping Dogs is only available to buy in Germany in a lower violence USK-rated format. Unfortunately, the add-on content (DLC) currently available through Steam, PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE Marketplace will not be compatible with this version. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have purchased/downloaded DLC for the PEGI version, this will remain on your console. However, no new DLC will be available.

ughhh no deals listed so for on Black Friday for this! Should've jumped in at the $40 price point on the gold box a few weeks ago
GamersGate: Sleeping Dogs PC Weekend - 50% Off!

Thrakier

Moving forwards, Sleeping Dogs is only available to buy in Germany in a lower violence USK-rated format. Unfortunately, the add-on content (DLC) currently available through Steam, PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE Marketplace will not be compatible with this version. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have purchased/downloaded DLC for the PEGI version, this will remain on your console. However, no new DLC will be available.
![/URL]

Not releasing DLC because of german laws is fine. What is NOT fine though is binding fixes to DLC and thus making those fixes unavailable for all german users. We paid the same money as everyone else and we should get the same fixes and patch contents!

Sullichin

Got Nightmare at North Point for $2.50 from GamersGate...nice.

So I guess this DLC was just an unlock code (or maybe the content was included in the Ghost Pig DLC?), didn't seem like it downloaded anything but it worked fine.

Got Nightmare at North Point for $2.50 from GamersGate...nice.

So I guess this DLC was just an unlock code (or maybe the content was included in the Ghost Pig DLC?), didn't seem like it downloaded anything but it worked fine.

i assume it was part of that huge 1.7 patch it downloaded before hand, so yea basically an unlock code.

Just finished Sleeping Dogs. It was a fun game. I still can't get over how you are an undercover cop who puts criminals away while at the same time managing to murder hundreds of people (Many of them being innocent people like dudes just trying hanging out by briefcases) in extremely graphic ways.

I didn't enjoy the DLC at all, the new enemies weren't fun to fight and the fights were so repetitive with them, the humor was great at least.

calder

I didn't enjoy the DLC at all, the new enemies weren't fun to fight and the fights were so repetitive with them, the humor was great at least.

Same, I wasn't terrible excited for the DLC as the supernatural stuff didn't look that interesting and it lived down to my expectations. Very repetitive and dull sadly.

I just finished the DLC a little bit ago. It was fun, but not nearly as well paced or varied as the main campaign. I will probably still get the last two achievements so I can maintain 100% status, and will assuredly download any additional DLC too. I just hope they spend a little more time with whatever they put out next.

leng jai

The DLC was a huge disappointment. I didn't really care about the price - I just wanted something good and meaty. I got neither. The humor was literally the only thing I liked about it. Oh and the first 30 seconds when you're still not over the novelty if Chinese vampires.

Monkeythumbz

SD-DX-meme.jpg

What can I say? I'm *such* a tease.

Monkeythumbz, let me just say that it has been great having you around this thread :D You do a splendid job, and it's wonderful having someone officially represent and field questions on behalf of such a fantastic product. Much love brotha

Now, only 34 Jiang Shi left to kill until I'm back to having Sleeping Dogs 100%'d

Dries

I'm just so annoyed that it seems like they're working on a million player skins and whatnot, instead of fixing the daylight stuttering.

Fonz72

I'm about 13 hours in and have not had a single stuttering issue. Only odd thing I have encountered is a van launching itself into the air after I stole it and landing inside an island in the middle of the bay. Had to load a save to get out of the inside of the environment. I'm running the game on a Radeon 7950 and a Phenom II 955 CPU

PS - I LOVE THIS GAME!!! I haven't been this drawn in by a story since Infamous!

Bebpo

Banned
I'm about 13 hours into the game now and just got my HQ in Arberdeen (seems surprisingly long) and I've got a few questions:

1. Anyway to get your triad level up outside of missions? Because it seems lopsided that your cop level goes up from all the drug busts and you get cop leveling in triad missions so it's basically 2-3x your triad level.

2. Under stats, what are "events completed"? Because if it's not a main mission, or a sidequest...what is it?

3. In the first 3-4 hours there were dating quests going on with a few girls. Each quest unlocked something really useful like being able to see shrines on the mini-map. In the 10 hours that followed there have been no further missions with any of the girls. Seems weird.

4. Do you ever get something that shows suitcases on the mini-map? Because that seems like the only thing that would make getting 100% completion a pain in the ass.

I'm about 13 hours into the game now and just got my HQ in Arberdeen (seems surprisingly long) and I've got a few questions:

1. Anyway to get your triad level up outside of missions? Because it seems lopsided that your cop level goes up from all the drug busts and you get cop leveling in triad missions so it's basically 2-3x your triad level.

2. Under stats, what are "events completed"? Because if it's not a main mission, or a sidequest...what is it?

3. In the first 3-4 hours there were dating quests going on with a few girls. Each quest unlocked something really useful like being able to see shrines on the mini-map. In the 10 hours that followed there have been no further missions with any of the girls. Seems weird.

4. Do you ever get something that shows suitcases on the mini-map? Because that seems like the only thing that would make getting 100% completion a pain in the ass.

1. Doesn't' seem like it and was lop sided for me also when i finished the story. I think the best way is to maximize your triad score and lower your cop score during that mission (property damage, kill innocent people, etc).

2. Events are some random stuff that happens around the world while you are in a specific place and is indicated by a yellow shield icon on the map (and a few will give a message). For example you could be chilling around an area and see someone rob Calvin, then you will have to take care of the robber and get the stuff back.

the events are IIRC:

Chase the robber (just kill him somehow)
Check the commotion (which is usually some drunk being annoying at a store and you must remove him)
Junk in the trunk (someone is trapped in a trunk of a vehicle and you must free them)

Note: Drug busts are also counted as an event but those have their own icon and stuff

3. Nope that's normal. After you date/unlock the stuff from a girl you never hear from them again (with a certain 2 being the exception since they will fucking call you out, then you wont hear from them again). I guess its to enforce that Wei is not ready for a steady relationship.

4. I guess you are talking those blue boxes with stuff in them. In that case you will get an ability to see all of those on the map via once you date one of those girls (LOL)

Top Bottom