• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So when did Chrome start to suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVOL 100%

Chrome became a lot more bearable when I erased nearly all my extensions.

It was getting out of hand but now it's a lot better.

Ferrio

Banned
Ya I don't know what happened, but a few months ago it's turned to shit. Sound doesn't work on videos for me, gifs fuck up.. etc.

lexi

Banned
Also switched to Waterfox from Chrome. It's barely a tiny bit slower than Chrome, but it more than makes up for it by handling images / youtube / other media heavy sites without chugging like an N64 game.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't get it. Chrome runs perfect on my chromebook, gifs load on every page never, ever an issue. As soon as I open it on my desktop, boom, broken gif mode.

deim0s

Seems I have to close it once in a while... to alleviate some problems.

Wan't to switch back to Safari, but the web inspector sucks.

Cat

Not too long ago (a month or so?), I noticed that in the upper right, there was no longer a wrench but 3 small lines for picking out settings, tools, etc.

Chrome is my browser for some web development at work though I generally use Firefox for everything else. For whatever reason, Firebug doesn't work right in one particular web application.

I noticed that when using the web developer tools in Chrome, under Elements, I could no longer search there. A change like that blows my mind considering how useful it is and how it really does hinder my productivity.

So my guess would be Chrome started to suck then though I never use Chrome for GIF viewing so can't speak for that.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Seems like the Dev builds are better with GIFs.

So the chromebook is on Dev builds?

iqWUctElt0xAG.png

I stopped using Chrome when I got my Mac during the summer. Safari was so much smoother to use.

I tried switching back now that I have a Nexus 7, but Chrome's performance is even worse than I remember. It's too bad. I use it at work on Windows and I'd live to have all of my bookmarks synced.

TheBear

Aside from the non-working gifs it seems to be ok.

Android version is terrible though. Always crashes when I tilt the screen or try and input text.

Biff

Man, even Youtube is acting like shit now. That's really depressing considering you'd assume a Google site would be guaranteed to run perfectly on a Google browser.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I want to ditch chrome for firefox. Chrome has just become soo unstable its crazy. I remember a few months back there was an error with Chrome-Built-in-flash where if you full-screened the a video or game it would display it on the wrong screen. If you somehow got it to work, it would just cancel the screen the moment you tried to use the other one for something else.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone had problems with Chrome not playing sounds?

Not sure if this has been said yet, but everytime I open up youtube, it plays for a few seconds and then stops and I have to click the button again. Not a big deal, but very annoying

Reave

Maxthon 3 is an amazing browser. Short on extensions, but it's a phenomenal backup browser when the 'big four' fumble.

I use it whenever Chrome starts being an asshole.

Maxthon 3 is an amazing browser. Short on extensions, but it's a phenomenal backup browser when the 'big four' fumble.

I use it whenever Chrome starts being an asshole.

Oh wow, this Maxthon IS really better than even Waterfox. The F10 double page feature is a game-changer, imo.

Thanks for the recommendation!

big_z

I don't know why a huge, rich company like Google can't fix this.

you have to spam complaints on their support forum to even get them to take notice. they broke youtube for IE a while back. 30-40 theads about the resizing buttons not working and a google employee finally said they've reported the issue. still took them about 5 weeks to fix the issue even though it was a one line code fix.

Mal'ice

Neo Member
Last time I used chrome it closed by itself and it was gone from my hard drive. Still don't know what the hell happened.

I stuck with Firefox through it's bloaty phase. It's a lot better now than before. I guess if you Chrome guys stick with it, it will get better too.

Ra\/en

Chrome has been messing up gifs for a while now. If I use another browser like safari or firefox, I have no problems. Chrome still seems faster overall though.

you have to spam complaints on their support forum to even get them to take notice. they broke youtube for IE a while back. 30-40 theads about the resizing buttons not working and a google employee finally said they've reported the issue. still took them about 5 weeks to fix the issue even though it was a one line code fix.

Damn. I guess I won't expect a fix too soon then.

Izick

You know what, I take back what I said. I'll take Chrome being a somewhat buggy mess sometimes over Opera and Firefox's slow speeds. (Windows 8) I don't know if it's mental, but it (Chrome) is definitely noticeably faster to me.

sca2511

So the chromebook is on Dev builds?

iqWUctElt0xAG.png

Oh no, have no idea honestly. Just mentioning that on desktop (Windows) GIFs seem to handled a bit better when using the dev channel.

You know what, I take back what I said. I'll take Chrome being a somewhat buggy mess sometimes over Opera and Firefox's slow speeds. (Windows 8) I don't know if it's mental, but it (Chrome) is definitely noticeably faster to me.

Chrome opens faster (like usual) and handles youtube a bit better. Other than that, it seems pretty similar outside of extensions/addons.

I've recently switched back to FF as well after a looong stint with Chrome.

Problem with Chrome for me is mostly around loading of images and scrolling of pages. Seems that the page scroll will lag if it's loading a large image which prevents me from scrolling to other content on the page until the image completes loading.

A few issues I have with FF now are:

1) There is no easy way to see the current zoom level and reset the zoom level from the UI. I have a Logitech Performance MX and the scroll mechanism will sometimes trigger a page zoom in free scroll mode if I'm tabbing/closing a window. Is there an easier way to get to the zoom menu without loading the menu bar?

2) Firefox does not allow me to open a separate private browsing session. This is useful for testing purposes as I can create another session when I'm doing development. Both IE and Chrome make this easy. Am I missing something? Is there a setting that allows me to run both windows at the same time? This is like a fatal flaw to me and switching between the two modes is a pain and loses state.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just use an older version of Chrome and it works just fine. New version definitely broke something with regard to gifs and Flash, which cause it to crash/run the entire computer slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom