• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Blablurn

played some more sleeping dogs yesterday. i think this is the first game in a loooong time where i played the endgame stuff (races, drug busts etc). i just love to come back to this game. it's just great and fun to play. and i cant wait till the next add on arrives... or maybe even a sequel one day? lets hope so.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1irq6e.png

2d3pgq.png

3ytqa5.png

Fonz72

Just finished the main story line! Soooooo Good! 19.8 hours and finished pretty equal on Cop and Triad levels.
both lvl 9
Man I had a really good time playing this game. The voice acting is top notch, graphics are gorgeous and the story is one of the best I have played.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Hey, so Sleeping Dogs has been nominated in the Best Action-Adventure Game category for this year's Spike VGAs. We share the nomination with some truly outstanding titles... nevertheless, we'd naturally be most grateful for your support, so please follow this link and cast your vote for Sleeping Dogs.

Sleeping Dogs has also been pitched against Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 in G4's Best Game 2012 - Videogame Deathmatch. Again, I understand that's pretty stiff competition, so we'd hugely appreciate you voting for Sleeping Dogs in that poll too - just follow this link to take part.

I'd also like to thank NeoGAF in particular for really getting behind the game - it has not gone unnoticed and we're just really, really thankful. Honestly, much obliged - you guys rock.

I've been wondering about this game. I loved Hard Boiled, but my favorite Hong Kong flick is Infernal Affairs!

If I loved that one, do you think I will enjoy the mood, style and plot of Sleeping Dogs?

I've also been wanting to play Max Payne 3, Assassins Creed 3 and Dishonored really bad, but I can only afford one game this xmas. I will be playing on a relatively strong PC though.

PBalfredo

Been playing the game for the last two days and it's pretty fun, except I managed to unwittingly lock myself out of dating all three of the girls.

Did the first date with Amanda. Figured I wanted to unlock more karaoke so I gave Tiffany a call. No apparent fallout from that. All I got was a report on Amanda from one of the other CI. Only know do I know the sentence at the bottom about "unlikely romantic prospects" was my Dear John letter and not just the CI being cheeky/pessimistic. So, thinking everything is fine, I hang out once with Not Ping.

Then I get the favor missions where I find out Tiffany is cheating on me in revenge. I'm realizing hanging out with the other girls not only counted as dates, but also counted as cheating. Never cared much for Tiffany and while I would have perfered Amanda, No Ping is cute so I'm fine going out with just her, which should still be good because she was the last I went out with, right?

Twenty-something story missions later, I get the voice mail from Not Ping breaking up with me for dating Tiffany, who was already cheating on me by the time I went to see Not Ping. WFT? I never even dated another girl since I started dating Not Ping. The hell, developer? No other missions are mutually exclusive. How about a warning of some kind next time?

Any way of fixing this. I don't have any old saves to revert to and even if I did, they'd be way too far back due to how long it takes for the girls to break up with you. Has this happened to anyone else? Commiserate with me, GAF.

Been playing the game for the last two days and it's pretty fun, except I managed to unwittingly lock myself out of dating all three of the girls.

Did the first date with Amanda. Figured I wanted to unlock more karaoke so I gave Tiffany a call. No apparent fallout from that. All I got was a report on Amanda from one of the other CI. Only know do I know the sentence at the bottom about "unlikely romantic prospects" was my Dear John letter and not just the CI being cheeky/pessimistic. So, thinking everything is fine, I hang out once with Not Ping.

Then I get the favor missions where I find out Tiffany is cheating on me in revenge. I'm realizing hanging out with the other girls not only counted as dates, but also counted as cheating. Never cared much for Tiffany and while I would have perfered Amanda, No Ping is cute so I'm fine going out with just her, which should still be good because she was the last I went out with, right?

Twenty-something story missions later, I get the voice mail from Not Ping breaking up with me for dating Tiffany, who was already cheating on me by the time I went to see Not Ping. WFT? I never even dated another girl since I started dating Not Ping. The hell, developer? No other missions are mutually exclusive. How about a warning of some kind next time?

Any way of fixing this. I don't have any old saves to revert to and even if I did, they'd be way too far back due to how long it takes for the girls to break up with you. Has this happened to anyone else? Commiserate with me, GAF.

All of the dates are mostly worthless storywise.

The only good thing from them is the abilities you get since you do nothing with the girls ever again (they are removed from your phone, etc) and only 2 girls actually call you out about cheating since you dated those 2 and they found out about each other (Not Ping and Tiffany).

So you can literally jump from one girl to the other and get Wei lucky while you get specific abilities to help you out (Shrine Locations, Suitcase Locations, Melee Upgrades, Hidden Races, Camera Locations). There isn't any way to "fix" it as it doesn't matter and just continue the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The "dating" is deceptive because in reality there is no dating at all. Sleeping Dogs has no dating and relationship mechanics. They don't exist in any form what-so-ever.

What Sleeping Dogs does have is a handful of side missions tied to romantic liaisons with particular girls. There is one mission for each, and doing that mission expands your map to reveal the locations of specific collectables and mission specific goodies.

That's all they are: side missions. They just happen to involve a girl. Ignore that part, and all you've got are once off option missions. There's no "dating" like most gamers expect.

PBalfredo

Oh. Wow. I was totally convinced by the game there would have been full sidequest chains for each girl that I had lost out on. Knowing this makes me feel a lot better. I was legit upset before.

Wait so that means for everyone, Wei went out of his way to wire tap a public pay phone just to spy on a girl that went out with him exactly once? LOL What a creeper.

daxy

So is there any recommended/required DLC or is it all just cosmetic stuff?

That Nightmare in North Point is all you need, I'd say. It's an entirely separate side story that'll last a couple of hours. Some of the other DLC comes with a few extra missions I think, but nothing substantial.

Monkeythumbz

So is there any recommended/required DLC or is it all just cosmetic stuff?

You're looking for gameplay extending stuff, right? Well NiNP has already been covered.

The Street Racer Pack's good if you enjoy the in-game races - it comes with three new races, including the game's only boat race.

The SWAT Pack is worth checking out if you want more Cop Job style content - it comes with 20 new (and re-playable) mini-missions of four different types.

Also, don't forget the Community Gift Pack and the Ghost Pig Pack, both of which can be downloaded 100% for free :)

For anyone interested, it just landed on Games on Demand on XBL for 44.99. Not sure if it's on PSN or will be later today. I've amassed a great number of MSP via Bing Rewards, so it was an easy buy for me. Time to finally play the Nightmare add-on.

Anyone know why the free Ghost Pig addon is half a gig in size? It says it adds a few cosmetic items. That shouldnt amount to 500 meg.

Edgeward

I beat the game yesterday, last mission was good if rushed ending to make everything conclude. I didn't max out my triad meter though, is there a way to get more? Replay old missions? The main story missions seem to be the only ones that give out triad points.

Love the game so far. Just started playing it last weekend (been sitting in my steam library since day 1....). My biggest gripe is the idiotic camera shake when driving a car. Why, just why???

Combat is fun and the shooting isn't bad. Going to get back into it tonight!

duckroll

Got this game for 13 bucks from GMG the other day, and it's fucking awesome. Definitely feels like an open world game which takes a lot from the Yakuza series, while having a solid flavor of its own. The combat is satisfying, the game is fun, and the story seems pretty neat so far. I'm glad there are lots of active gameplay elements which reward and encourage the player not to be some random psychopath like in GTA. I've been itching for a good cop driven open world game for a while, and was disappointed by LA Noire. This isn't exactly what I had in mind, but it's a step in the right direction! Maybe one day we'll finally get a solid real police open world game.

Downhome

It's $25 on Amazon right now. I just bought it for PS3. I can't wait, I loved the demo but was holding out for a sale like this.

OG Kush

How is Sleeping Dogs on PC without a controller? Is it designed for controller or does KBAM work?
I tried KBAM and just wasn't feeling it, not saying its bad with KBAM but definitely one of those games that feels better with a controller.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Got this game for 13 bucks from GMG the other day, and it's fucking awesome. Definitely feels like an open world game which takes a lot from the Yakuza series, while having a solid flavor of its own. The combat is satisfying, the game is fun, and the story seems pretty neat so far. I'm glad there are lots of active gameplay elements which reward and encourage the player not to be some random psychopath like in GTA. I've been itching for a good cop driven open world game for a while, and was disappointed by LA Noire. This isn't exactly what I had in mind, but it's a step in the right direction! Maybe one day we'll finally get a solid real police open world game.

Agreed. I started playing this morning and am loving it. Yeah, it's Infernal Affairs: The Game but that's just fine by me. Running the game with everything maxed out and it looks stunning. As good as the Witcher 2... maybe even better in some ways.

Dries

So which Hong Kong cop movie should I watch to get back in the Sleeping Dogs mood? So far I've seen:

- The Killer
- Hard Boiled
- Internal Affairs

Come at me, GAF

Dries

Sigh, can't stand the stuttering. Think I'll start Max Payne 3 and hope the stuttering will get fixed soon. It would be great if there was some confirmation from the dev side, but it's all radio silence.

Not releasing DLC because of german laws is fine. What is NOT fine though is binding fixes to DLC and thus making those fixes unavailable for all german users. We paid the same money as everyone else and we should get the same fixes and patch contents!

Thank god I looked into this thread before purchasing the game. Won't do that now.

Jintor

Just wrapped it. What a game. Could've used some more work on elaborating on some things like character relationships, etc (and there was
never the personal connection to Smile Lee the way there was to Dogeyes (until Jacky calls you), would've been thematically more satisfying to chase Dogeyes up the Red Pole ladder but perhaps less realistic
but fuck, man, that was a great HK action flick. Here's hoping for a Sleeping Dogs 2 or something along those lines. More virtual Asian open worlds, please, if you're going to treat it with this level of respect.

/edit looks like they actually hired a radio company to do all their radio programs. RAD AS SHIT.

TheBez

I bought this game a while ago and every time I go to play it it crashes during the beginning. Right after the intro cinematic while running through the nets or right after it always crashes! I have the newest drivers for my graphics card, any other ideas on what might be causing it?

Monkeythumbz

How would you like to win a copy of Sleeping Dogs on your platform of choice? Wait, wait... that's not all... How would you *also* like to win the GSP Pack and Police Protection Pack DLC, PLUS a giant-sized, super high-quality poster signed by Tyler Stout himself?

If that sounds appealing, then follow this link and all of the above could soon be yours.

Good luck!

Dries

How would you like to win a copy of Sleeping Dogs on your platform of choice? Wait, wait... that's not all... How would you *also* like to win the GSP Pack and Police Protection Pack DLC, PLUS a giant-sized, super high-quality poster signed by Tyler Stout himself?

If that sounds appealing, then follow this link and all of the above could soon be yours.

Good luck!

I would really appreciate knowing if the stuttering bug is known by the developers and if they are working on a fix.

I got the Croatian version on PSN, will my saves work with a western European version? I know they're different between UK and mainland Europe but I'm not sure if there is a difference in the mainland Euro versions aswel.

Monkeythumbz

I would really appreciate knowing if the stuttering bug is known by the developers and if they are working on a fix.

We've investigated and it appears that this is actually a currently common driver issue that's not specific to Sleeping Dogs.

If you take a look at this post, you’ll see that your issue is happening on other games with that card. We can safely say, then, that this is a hardware/driver issues, which will surely get fixed by nVidia/hardware manufacturer.

You can find the official thread in which nVidia talks about this driver issue causing stuttering on 680 series here: VSYNC Causing HUGE stuttering problems 680.

I hope this info helps.

Monkeythumbz

I got the Croatian version on PSN, will my saves work with a western European version? I know they're different between UK and mainland Europe but I'm not sure if there is a difference in the mainland Euro versions aswel.
Save files between an individual user's digital copies of the game should remain consistent, so long as you're running the same version of the game.

We've investigated and it appears that this is actually a currently common driver issue that's not specific to Sleeping Dogs.

If you take a look at this post, you’ll see that your issue is happening on other games with that card. We can safely say, then, that this is a hardware/driver issues, which will surely get fixed by nVidia/hardware manufacturer.

You can find the official thread in which nVidia talks about this driver issue causing stuttering on 680 series here: VSYNC Causing HUGE stuttering problems 680.

I hope this info helps.

What about the issue with windowed mode? The window created is slightly larger than the actual resolution you choose in the options, which causes problems. Are there any plans to address that?

Here's the thread in the official forum covering the issue. It didn't get much attention:

http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2816

Save files between an individual user's digital copies of the game should remain consistent, so long as you're running the same version of the game.

I know, I once finished a UK version of a game, sold it and later got a mainland Euro version, my UK saves didn't work. I hope the country I live in is the same version as the Croatian one. :)

Top Bottom