• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's preventing Sony from throwing a modified Android OS in this new machine and doing everything in their power to create a PC-lite in terms of functionality?

you wouldn't need to have an android OS to have a rich, smart TV+ style interface with apps. Its a messy landscape at the moment and often smart TVs don't get updated content. But with a programmable system like PS4 Sony has an opportunity to really push in that area.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
you wouldn't need to have an android OS to have a rich, smart TV+ style interface with apps. Its a messy landscape at the moment and often smart TVs don't get updated content. But with a programmable system like PS4 Sony has an opportunity to really push in that area.
Android can be a bit of a RAM hog as well.Not something a console developer would want right now. It'll likely be Linux based again.

DieH@rd

Banned
Link is blocked at work. can someone please quote the awesomeness I am missing out on.

Thanks

Just explanation of old hardware capabilities that appeared in the PC GPUs after the arrival of PS3/X360 and how they will be used on nextgen consoles .

dumbo

Android can be a bit of a RAM hog as well.Not something a console developer would want right now. It'll likely be Linux based again.

For me, logically, the next-gen systems would have 2 "partitions":
- game mode. 3GB of RAM, lots of CPU time, low-level hardware access, flashy 3d graphics.
- system mode. 1GB of RAM, CPU time comparable with a modern ARM processor, lots of security, less powerful graphics, runs apps, plays dvds/blu-rays has a full windowing system, can work as an overlay on game mode.

Android/winRT/whatever would sit in the system partition, and shouldn't affect gaming performance.

But I'm not a pro/insider, that might be complete nonsense :).

HWiNFO64 is a professional hardware information and diagnostic tool supporting the latest components, industry technologies and standards. HWiNFO64 is designed to collect and present the maximum amount of information possible about computer's hardware

These appear to be new hardware by AMD that the software can report on. Posted Oct 8, 2012 which likely means it exists in some form BEFORE Oct 8, 2012.

Added AMD Sun, Neptune, Ibiza, Cozumel, Kauai, Hainan, Curacao, Aruba, Richland Devastator/Scrapper, Thebe, Kryptos, Samara, Pennar. Edit: [Timing and features suggest that Pennar might be the core design that is modified for PS4]

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/version_history.cfm/hwinfo64 said:
Changes for v4.06 Build 1740 Beta - v4.05 Build 1745 Beta

Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASRock Z77, Z75, H77, B75, Q77, H71M and A75 series.
Minor bugfixes and improvements.
Driver management tool removed from package. Functionality moved into Configure section.
History file removed from package. Available online in the News section.
Help file replaced with on-line help (forum).
Embedded all supplemental files (DAT, drivers) into the main EXE file.
Reduced package content to 2 files only (EXE, INI).
Added reporting of GPU VDDC for later AMD GPUs.
Enhanced sensor monitoring on Gigabyte F2A85 series.
Added preliminary support of Nuvoton NCT6791D sensor.
Added AMD Sun, Neptune, Ibiza, Cozumel, Kauai, Hainan, Curacao, Aruba, Richland Devastator/Scrapper, Thebe, Kryptos, Samara, Pennar.
Added reporting of SATA AHCI/RAID controller and per-port information under PCI host device.
Fixed reporting of current memory clock on AMD Trinity.

Neptune & Sun are Mobile GPUs

ATI’s next-generation family is code-named Hecatonchires and will feature code-named Cozumel, Ibiza and Kauai chips, which are not northern, but southern islands.

http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=527&t=136890 said:
...Fudzilla claims that the generation will be codename "Hecatonchires", as the successor to Evergreen. Apparently, there will be three desktop chips and three notebook chips, thus six more codenames to appear soon.

Meanwhile, Nordichardware had reported three island names as codenames - Cozumel, Ibiza and Kauai, although it is not clear where these rumours originated from. Radeon 100 has also been circulating. Interestingly, Hecatonchires are a group of three giants in Greek mythology, each with a hundred hands and fifty heads. If Hecatonchires were really the codename of the family, then it would make sense for each of the three chips to be named after the three giants - Briareus, Cottus and Gyges. As the story goes, the three Hecatonchires overwhelmed the mighty Titans, throwing hundreds of massive rocks (as big as mountains) at them, at a time.

amd_roadmap_mobile.jpg

http://www.indeed.com/r/Rami-Dornala/e0704aad508659b2 said:
Graphic processor
AMD - Waltham, MA
September 2011 to Present
Project:1 GNB core SOC
Duration: Sept 2011 , till date
Description:
GNB core (Graphics North Bridge) is based on the AMD fusion core technology, The GNB is a fusion of Graphic processor, power optimizer, audio processor, south bridge and north bridge which share a common interface with system memory.

Role: Tech Lead, Was responsible for Delivery of verification for Tapeout
Contribution:
1. Responsible for Functional verification of GNB. (Graphics North Bridge)
2. Integrated ACP IP into the GNB environment
3. Integrated ISP IP into the GNB environment.
4. Aware of BIA, IFRIT flows.
5. Responsible for SAMARA and PENNAR integration.
6. Involved in kabini coverage closure, involved in LSC for kabini
7. Involved in fc mpu integration.
8. ONION and GARLIC bus OVC understanding and GNB environment set up for samara database.
9. Involved in LSA for Samara and Pennar GNB's
10. Involved in setting up of Pennar database with GF libraries
9.Involved with migration of Pennar database from TSMC to GF libraries.

Team Size: 12
Technology used:
Verification environment is a hybrid mixture of System-C, SystemVerilog and C++ language.GNB is targeted for 20nm technological library with GF foundaries.
Project:2 G4Main SOC

seronx was there ahead of me by 8 days but he got allot of the descriptions wrong, See above cites.

http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=532&t=139479&start=25 said:
GPU names from HWinfo patch info: http://www.hwinfo.com/History64.txt (Version 4.06)
Sun <-- Neptune & Sun are Mobile GPUs
Neptune <-- Neptune & Sun are Mobile GPUs
Ibiza <-- southern islands GPU
Cozumel <-- southern islands GPU
Kauai <-- southern islands GPU
Hainan <-- no info
Curacao <-- no info
Aruba <-- no info
Richland Devastator/Scrapper <-- Three Desktop APUs from 32nm to 28 nm NI to SI GPU
Thebe <-- PS4, GCN
Kryptos <-- Xbox3, GCN
Samara <-- Jaguar 4C, GNB Core GCN2 20nm
Pennar <-- Jaguar 2C, GNB Core GCN2 20nm

What else I can find out is:
Komodo, Up to 95 Watts, Desktops/Servers only CPU only
Kaveri, Up to 55 Watts, Embedded/Mobile/Desktop/Servers
Kabini, Up to 30 Watts, Embedded/Mobile/Desktop(/Servers?)
Temash, Up to 9 Watts, Embedded/Mobile

well done mate.
So they exist (Kryptos and Thebe) but we don't know what they are. They are positioned between Richland APU (high performance) and Samara APU (Ultra low power) so it's logical that they are APUs. No info other than this which is expected if it's a Confidential win.

Ashes

Banned
So they exist (Kryptos and Thebe) but we don't know what they are. They are positioned between Richland APU (high performance) and Samara APU (Ultra low power) so it's logical that they are APUs. No info other than this which is expected if it's a Confidential win.

I really don't think they will be mobile cpu/apu derivatives.

THE:MILKMAN

I didn't think the code names were in question any more. They are still listed within 1 Linkedin profile.

2 other AMD employees have in the last couple of days edited out the mention of these code names which is always a giveaway.

Ashes

Banned
What's preventing Sony from throwing a modified Android OS in this new machine and doing everything in their power to create a PC-lite in terms of functionality?

I had this in mind, but Android has a huge piracy problem, that is reportedly making developers jump ship to ios, so off the bat piracy problems make that os a no go.
Android is also not x86 irrc. And a bloaty os for Sony's requirements I guess.
I guess they could make it dual boot setup that allows android apps on the os level.

i-Lo

I had this in mind, but Android has a huge piracy problem, that is reportedly making developers jump ship to ios, so off the bat piracy problems make that os a no go.
I guess they could make it dual boot setup that allows android apps on the os level.

If you recall, at the beginning of the generation, Sony's OS was bloated despite being Linux based (iirc) at 120MB overall as opposed to the steady 32MB of 360. Will they learn their lesson in efficiency for the next platform? Guess we won't know till we can compare the two next gen systems.

I didn't think the code names were in question any more. They are still listed within 1 Linkedin profile.

2 other AMD employees have in the last couple of days edited out the mention of these code names which is always a giveaway.

There is the possibility that we were trolled by sweetvar using existing names to make it believable (now not likely).

Who and can you link to the Linkedin profile. What they work on is telling.

Ashes

Banned
True. And Sony are one of the most active contributors android developers. < this surprised me at first, but on second thought, who else can on android -bar google themselves- can compete with Sony's software expertise?

THE:MILKMAN

There is the possibility that we were trolled by sweetvar using existing names to make it believable (now not likely).

Who and can you link to the Linkedin profile. What they work on is telling.

It is a simple google search to find them. If a mod says it is OK to link them I will.

I really don't want to see anyone fired though.

Log4Girlz

Yeah you're right really. The PS4 needs to have a fully functional, well supported OS with tons of apps available and Android is the only one I can think of that could realistically appear on the system. I don't really see a healthy market for dedicated gaming machines anymore, they either need to start really competing with tablet and PC's in capability or they will start to die. I don't think there is room to support 3 manufacturers. I mean, perhaps 1 single gaming console could live a healthy life, but that's it.

i-Lo

Out of curiosity, will we see fidelity of say Crysis (as was demoed on a high end machine) on next gen systems?

Or in another context, would how realistic is it to expect graphical fidelity of say, Uncharted 2/3 in more sandbox oriented games (like Fallout, ES) etc?

Out of curiosity, will we see fidelity of say Crysis (as was demoed on a high end machine) on next gen systems?

Or in another context, would how realistic is it to expect graphical fidelity of say, Uncharted 2/3 in more sandbox oriented games (like Fallout, ES) etc?

Hopefully everything else would be very disappointing - maybe not in the first year but even with a console cycle of minimum 5 years I expect a lot if Sony and MS want my money.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

I would expect samaritan or something close to it.

i-Lo

Depends. Just Cause 2 is not only the biggest sandbox game, but also the best looking.

And what about the numerous object pop ins? If you could play a game like Uncharted 3 with sandbox design and minimal pop ins then during gameplay it'll feel much better than a game looking like Crysis 3 in the same genre with an incessant pop ins.

z0m3le

Banned
And what about the numerous object pop ins? If you could play a game like Uncharted 3 with sandbox design and minimal pop ins then during gameplay it'll feel much better than a game looking like Crysis 3 in the same genre with an incessant pop ins.

I've been playing FarCry 3 for the past week, I don't experience pop ins (PC) but I have seen it in youtube videos. Also I'd say FarCry 3 looks better than Uncharted 3, but of course that is just opinion. (of the sane)

Ah, I miss read this.

I would like to add that I would rather games look like FarCry 3 or Crysis 3 and be sandbox, while having some games with Samaritan graphics, that are boxed in. As long as we don't have to deal with pop ups or unstable frame rates.

Ashes

Banned
So, given TLoU's release date ( May 7th, 2013), the PS4 is looking good for a Fall 2013 release, right?

My first response would be no, but something must be up, because it's going up pretty close to GTA 5. I don't know why you'd want a new ip to go up against GTA5 when the ip fits the mould of a classic fall blockbuster.

Damn, I wish ps4 has the ability to play ps3 games.

i-Lo

So, given TLoU's release date ( May 7th, 2013), the PS4 is looking good for a Fall 2013 release, right?

Yes, I think they are pushing because:

• MS might be delayed due to production issues
  • Sonys console is weaker and so it wants to lead the market
  • Because they anticipate delays themselves but even so hope to make it around holidays 2013

Melchiah

A bit off-topic...

I'm not personally worried about the specs at all, but I'm worried whether the next gen will have similar moneyhatted 3rd party exclusives as this gen. My biggest hope is that only the 1st party titles are bound to platforms, as I don't want games like Bioshock and Mass Effect to be ruined (ie. spoiled) by choosing the "wrong" platform. Meaning, if your chosen platform gets the game year(s) later, you've probably heard or seen too many details about the game before you actually get to play it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

• Because they anticipate delays themselves but even so hope to make it around holidays 2013

I think it could also be that they didn't have to wait as long to hit their performance goals as they originally thought. The rumored specs for 8850/8870 cards make them out to be pretty powerful and run cool with low power consumption.

iceatcs

A bit off-topic...

I'm not personally worried about the specs at all, but I'm worried whether the next gen will have similar moneyhatted 3rd party exclusives as this gen. My biggest hope is that only the 1st party titles are bound to platforms, as I don't want games like Bioshock and Mass Effect to be ruined (ie. spoiled) by choosing the "wrong" platform. Meaning, if your chosen platform gets the game year(s) later, you've probably heard or seen too many details about the game before you actually get to play it.

well I think if there are three very different power level consoles that will lead more 3rd party exclusives.
PS4 and 720 look like both will be very similar, then hardy to get full exclusives. It will be like this gen , some DLC or timed exclusives.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I should have bookmarked all those times whoever it was kept telling me I was wrong that The Last Of Us was going to be out within the first 6 months if 2013.

"It's a fall 2013 game" pah to you sir, pah! lol.

So besides Beyond, we have a date for every retail Sony developed PS3 game and they are all set for the first few months. Unless something else pops up it seems pretty obvious when we will be hearing and getting a release for the next PlayStation.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

source???

Ashes

Banned
source???

He is summarising speculation in the thread I think.

A bit off-topic...

Hardly anything you can do about that. Microsoft is definitely going to get some third party Japan exclusives again. They really need something like monster hunter on that platform. Granted the exclusive won't be monster hunter but it's going to be big again.

And some games never transfer across. Demon Souls & MGS4 are still ps3 exclusive. Granted Demon Souls is Sony published. I think in the current climate, controllers can be a differentiating factor between consoles.

leroidys

I should have bookmarked all those times whoever it was kept telling me I was wrong that The Last Of Us was going to be out within the first 6 months if 2013.

"It's a fall 2013 game" pah to you sir, pah! lol.

So besides Beyond, we have a date for every retail Sony developed PS3 game and they are all set for the first few months. Unless something else pops up it seems pretty obvious when we will be hearing and getting a release for the next PlayStation.

Puppeteer doesn't have a date AFAIK.

I do think it's possible for sony to beat microsoft to market though, if the rumors of a very powerful 720 are true. I have an acquaintance who works on xbox at microsoft, I don't know him very well but I talked to him about a year ago and the only thing he would say about the 720 are that it would probably piss a lot of gamers off, which makes me think that at the time they were planning on going the wii route.

Ashes

Banned
720 was always going to be at least 8 times more powerful as the x360 iirc. So it was never going to go the wii route. Unless he meant the kinect 2 push?

Fidelity? Crysis is one of the jaggiest games ever made no matter how powerful your PC is

leroidys

720 was always going to be at least 8 times more powerful as the x360 iirc. So it was never going to go the wii route. Unless he meant the kinect 2 push?

Could be. It was a while ago, and nothing too substantial, something like "it's going to upset a lot of people", I can't remember exactly how he put it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah you're right really. The PS4 needs to have a fully functional, well supported OS with tons of apps available and Android is the only one I can think of that could realistically appear on the system. I don't really see a healthy market for dedicated gaming machines anymore, they either need to start really competing with tablet and PC's in capability or they will start to die. I don't think there is room to support 3 manufacturers. I mean, perhaps 1 single gaming console could live a healthy life, but that's it.

The living room TV set, controlled with a dual shock , is completely different from a tablet. I think apps are good, but the focus would be more on media. So look at what Samsung is doing with their high end smart TVs for example. Sony could compete with that without needing android

Warning: Wild Speculation >> None of this is directly from AMD so it's information compiled from multiple sources in News articles and Linkedin Job postings.

Did some research and corrected the seronx post. Looking at the list in order gives interesting information for speculation. If GNB (Combining Northbridge and Southbridge) is only 20nm then the last two APUs are 20nm and Samara a 20nm 2013 launch alongside Kabini. So Kyrptos which is speculated (by me) to have Thebe hidden inside may also be a 20nm APU.

Also in the list it's supposed to be three desktop APUs and three mobile APUs; Richland Devastator/Scrapper (Three Desktop APUs from 32nm to 28 nm NI to SI GPU) and Thebe, Kryptos, Samara, Pennar; four not three mobile APUs. Again Kryptos may contain Thebe and have minor differences; I.E. differences too small to be considered a different APU. Also Kryptos fits no known AMD naming convention.

http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=532&t=139479&start=25 said:
GPU names from HWinfo patch info: http://www.hwinfo.com/History64.txt (Version 4.06)
Sun <-- Solar System (HD 8xxxM) series GCN2 M= mobile GPU version???
Neptune <-- Solar System (HD 8xxxM) series GCN2
Ibiza <-- Southern islands
Cozumel <-- Southern islands
Kauai <-- Southern Islands
Hainan <-- no info
Curacao <-- no info
Aruba <-- no info
Richland Devastator/Scrapper <-- Three Desktop APUs from 32nm to 28 nm NI to SI GPU
Thebe <-- PS4, GCN 2013 release (not confirmed) Thebe as a moon of Jupiter fits into the Mobile Solar system naming convention => GCN2 HD 8XXXM Mobile GPU? 20nm?
Kryptos <-- Xbox3, GCN 2013 release (not confirmed) Fits no known AMD naming convention!
Samara <-- Jaguar 4C, GNB Core GCN2 20nm 2013 release
Pennar <-- Jaguar 2C, GNB Core GCN2 20nm (probably a 2013 lower power version of Samara)

http://www.indeed.com/r/Rami-Dornala/e0704aad508659b2 said:
GNB core (Graphics North Bridge) is based on the AMD fusion core technology, The GNB is a fusion of Graphic processor, power optimizer, audio processor, south bridge and north bridge which share a common interface with system memory.

GNB is targeted for 20nm technological library with GF foundaries.

See edited post for more information

I guess we also now know that the next Xbox SoC project is called Kryptos and the PS4 Soc project is called Thebe. Kryptos, the sculpture at CIA Langly is the Howard Carter account of the King Tut discovery in Thebe's Egypt. Kryptos is hidden in Greek. (bgassassin, OnQ123, jeff_rigby put it together starting with the Sweetvar23 posts)

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

Durango is currently "on schedule" the delays with the chips were for the initial pressings destined for beta kits.

Everything we have seen suggests they are relatively evenly matched.

PS4 will not launch 2013. The only ones in a position to do so are Microsoft. Expect PS4 March-May 2014.

Durango is currently "on schedule" the delays with the chips were for the initial pressings destined for beta kits.

Everything we have seen suggests they are relatively evenly matched.

PS4 will not launch 2013. The only ones in a position to do so are Microsoft. Expect PS4 March-May 2014.

No TLOU date shows that the PS4 will launch in 2013.

Top Bottom