• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think it's worth it - seems to be patched. (Just tried it for my son - added a Specialization code, then even went to the trouble of rebooting the Xbox. Still coming up as 800 points.)

It's not patched yet, at least not through the in-game store. I booted up my copy right now, and it directed me to map pack which was 0 MS points. :/ It's totally unacceptable for people who actually purchased the map packs earlier.

I liked halo 4, but all these small things are adding up and it's like the game doesn't even want me to play it anymore. I'll be back in 6 months when Frankie and team have done some soul searching. Haha, just kidding, I still blame Microsoft.

Although, anybody seen the movie "The Cube"? Everybody works for this big corporation and they all work on little pieces of some "final entity", but nobody knows what it actually is. It ends up being a huge cube with smaller cube rooms inside and some of the rooms are booby trapped and will kill you in a creative manner if you walk through them. The creators of the cube end up waking up in it and have to find their way out. Is there really anyone to blame or is everyone just a little piece of the puzzle? It feels like that's where the video game industry is going.

pakkit

Banned
Free map pack!
KuGsj.gif

So glad I didn't buy the LE edition like I had originally planned.

Computron

I like the bright fucking light that makes it so I can't look to one side.

On Harvest? or on Shatter?
Harvest seems to be balanced very well, while shatter is a bit dark overall, especially with the brighter parts providing contrast, and Wreckage is the oppisite.

Fracas

#fuckonami
343 loves Halo fans, don't they? I'm just about done with this franchise.

I'm in the same boat. There are way better games that I should be playing rather than waiting around for a Halo that I'll never get. Occasional games with you guys are what's keeping me here.

I'm in the same boat. There are way better games that I should be playing rather than waiting around for a Halo that I'll never get. Occasional games with you guys are what's keeping me here.

Same.

343 needs to sit down and reevaluate things.

Can we start a gaming side thread about all the times 343 has burned their customers?

Havok

343 loves Halo fans, don't they? I'm just about done with this franchise.
It's hard to place blame on anyone. There were screwups, but it certainly wasn't malicious. The way I see it, that money was already spent anyway, and while my coffers are certainly not unlimited (or anywhere close to approaching full), I'm not incensed about it or anything. It'd be a nice show of goodwill to issue refunds, but I seriously doubt a Microsoft subsidiary would be able to do something like that without creating dangerous precedent.

I'll label this the multiplayer experience approach. In an attempt to stave off complaints can we agree on a decent clear cut list of experiences we enjoy in through all Halo games? Maybe this can help guide 343i about what it is the community actually wants.

I've completed CE, Halo 2 & Halo 3. If I have time I'll add Reach & Halo 4.

- SLAYER -

Halo CE:
Hang Em High
Blood Gulch
Longest
Wizard

Halo 2:
Ascension
Beaver Creek
Coagulation
Colossus
Containment
Elongation
Foundation
Ivory Tower
Lockout
Midship
Sanctuary
Terminal
Turf
Warlock
Zanzibar

Halo 3:
Avalanche
Citadel
Construct
Guardian
Last Resort
Narrows
Standtrap
The Pit
Valhalla

- OBJECTIVE -

Halo CE:
Sidewinder (2 flag)
Blood Gulch (2 flag, 2 bomb)

Halo 2:
Ascension (1 flag)
Burial Mounds (1 flag, 1 bomb)
Coagulation (2 flag, 1 flag, 2 bomb, 1 bomb)
Colossus (2 flag)
Gemini (1 flag)
Headlong (1 flag, 1 bomb, 2 flag, 2 bomb)
Ivory Tower (1 flag)
Midship (2 flag)
Relic (1 flag)
Lockout (1 flag, 1 bomb)
Sanctuary (1 flag, 1 bomb, 2 flag, neutral flag)
Terminal (1 flag, 1 bomb)
Turf (1 flag 1 bomb, territories)
Waterworks (1 flag, 1 bomb, 2 flag, 2 bomb)
Zanzibar (1flag, 1 bomb)

Halo 3:
Avalanche (2 flag, 2 bomb)
Citadel (2 flag)
Ghost Town (1 flag, 1 bomb, territories)
High Ground (1 flag, 1 bomb)
Last Resort (1 flag, 1 bomb)
Longshore (1 flag, 1 bomb)
Orbital (2 flag)
Standoff (1 flag, 1 bomb, 2 flag, 2 bomb)
The Pit (1 flag, 1 bomb, 2 flag, 2 bomb)
Valhalla (1 flag, 1 bomb, 2 flag, 2 bomb)

mhm. really considering letting my xbl subscription expire in january and maybe renewing when destiny gets closed.

just play some good single player games till then

It's hard to place blame on anyone. There were screwups, but it certainly wasn't malicious. The way I see it, that money was already spent anyway, and while my coffers are certainly not unlimited (or anywhere close to approaching full), I'm not incensed about it or anything. It'd be a nice show of goodwill to issue refunds, but I seriously doubt a Microsoft subsidiary would be able to do something like that without creating dangerous precedent.

I don't actually expect a refund nor am I even asking for one. I'm just upset with the way 343 has treated this franchise and it's fans.

So any impressions on Extraction so far?

I found it fun, though I think it would work a lot better on more medium sized maps. I always thought of Extraction as the counterpart to Dominion, for smaller maps.

I noticed that on Wreckage and Shatter, for example, the maps seem simply too big to effectively control the two points for the allotted time when playing against a half-decent team. This just ends up making the games tie, or at least be stupid close with very little action/co-ordination until the very end when one team wins out of sheer luck or exasperation. Add to that the fact that they both have way too many vehicles going around at any given moment, and you'll see why it should stay on Pit-sized maps at the largest, in my opinion.

But maybe that's just me.

willow ve

So any impressions on Extraction so far?

It feels like Domination except without the heavy weapons/vehicles. Also it seems like the rounds end really quick. I almost never had a base stolen by the opposing team and vice/versa. It essentially boiled down to "whoever gets to a base first wins."

---

Anyone else think that the kill cams on the new maps are even worse than the normal kills cams on launch maps? They aren't even remotely close in any of the games I've played.

I think extraction is hurt by there being two extraction points. It spreads the action out too far, especially with 6v6. Keep it to one extraction point

dalVlatko

Someone in a ghost just got launched on top of the map in shatter

Don't know if it was lag or what but I can't recreate it in custom games

I'd be happy just to have certainty restored that my LE purchase will in fact be able to download map packs 2 and 3 without cost or delay.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Barlow, if you make a thread, you know as well as I do it won't accomplish anything. I mean, I agree with your feelings for the most part, but all that thread will be is a torch and pitchforks rally.

Fotos

All this hatred towards this game makes me wonder what Halo 5 will be like. Will they try to progress and improve the same things that were in Halo: Reach and Halo 4 (Armor Abilities, perks, classes)? Go back to Halo 2/3 style? Or try something new?

I think extraction is hurt by there being two extraction points. It spreads the action out too far, especially with 6v6. Keep it to one extraction point

Just bring assault back or leave it the fuck alone. The game type was perfect it just needed some spice in way of points rewards and better maps to get the population back.

Conversely I find Dominion, KOTH and Extraction very similar. Go there, capture this then defend it or spend your time sprinting across a large map to get to another fixed point. The variety isn't there, the strategy isn't there, the stealth isn't there and all that is left is who's team is regular vs. randoms for the win. I would have thought assault would be the perfect change up instead of extraction...

DeadNames

Banned
All this hatred towards this game makes me wonder what Halo 5 will be like. Will they try to progress and improve the same features that were in Halo: Reach and Halo 4? Go back to Halo 2/3 style? Or try something new?

Banshee strikes and attack crawlers dude.

Evolution.

GrizzNKev

Banned
All this hatred towards this game makes me wonder what Halo 5 will be like. Will they try to progress and improve the same features that were in Halo: Reach and Halo 4? Go back to Halo 2/3 style? Or try something new?

Or will it have overpowered killstreak rewards, and fall even further into the Call of Duty abyss? It'll still have fans if they do that too.

Havok

I'll label this the multiplayer experience approach. In an attempt to stave off complaints can we agree on a decent clear cut list of experiences we enjoy in through all Halo games? Maybe this can help guide 343i about what it is the community actually wants.

I've completed CE, Halo 2 & Halo 3. If I have time I'll add Reach & Halo 4.

(snipped for space)
A few things:
-1 Flag/Bomb has no place on Coagulation, replace with Neutral Bomb.
-Gemini is primarily an Oddball/KOTH map, Flag on it was always weird because of how the teleporter affected routes.
-2 Flag/Bomb on Headlong? Ew.
-Add Midship 2 Bomb/Neutral Bomb/Oddball/KOTH.
-Lockout Oddball addition.
-1 Bomb Ivory Tower was great. Two arming spots!
-2 Flag Containment.
-2 Flag/Neutral Bomb Warlock.

-Orbital is terrible, nobody should ever look at it except as a tutorial of what not to do.
-Last Resort's objective modes were marred by its horrible base design. Giant empty room, no cover for carriers. Zanzi/Last Resort were decent Snipers maps, but were not good for regular Slayer due to their compartmentalization.

Reach objective:

Zealot (2 Flag, Neutral Bomb)
Countdown (2 Flag)
Powerhouse (KOTH (?), 1 Flag)
Anchor 9 (2 Flag, 2 Bomb, Neutral Bomb)

Not counting remakes. I am totally apathetic towards Halo 4's objective gametypes, so that's a list for someone else to make.

CyReN

Halo 3 has more features than 4.

There are a lot of dumb design decisions in Halo 4's multiplayer, but reacting to DLC release problems like 343 intentionally did it to frustrate Halo fans is stupid. Many other games have had DLC release problems, it is not uncommon. I feel like many people in this thread are taking their frustration with the game itself and putting it on 343 for problems that are likely Microsoft/Xbox Live's fault. The unwarranted anger/hatred in this thread is kind of sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom