• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylej

Banned
Don't worry dude, you're not missing anything.

Worse than any of Reach's map packs imo.

not really surprising. I mean honestly who asked for more big maps, especially ones that are boring and brown? It's incomprehensible. Everything 343 does is so illogical.

I'm going to assume these things were farmed out to certain affinity too.

CyReN

Digital Extremes did the maps?

nREFF.png

DeadNames

Banned
Do you guys think 343 caught on that we don't like massive, BTB based white UNSC mining/science labs stationed on a brown mountain?

Fuck, gimme some covenant. Or at least a Headlong/Blackout style human environments. Enough with the fucking UNSC. The infinity can simulate any environment, but it simulates the places spartans would be at most frequently.

CyReN

Looking into them, they did a lot for Unreal Championship. why not have them do Arena maps? Seems like the perfect combo.

Korosenai

Everytime i see someone say the word "retard" i want to post "inb4heckfu". But by the time I refresh the page hes already said something about it.

One of these days.

heckfu

Banned
Everytime i see someone say the word "retard" i want to post "inb4heckfu". But by the time I refresh the page hes already said something about it.

One of these days.
The day you get inb4heckfu is the day I'll relent and let people sound like assholes without me saying anything.

kylej

Banned
343 next time can you guys hire double fine or mojang or something. if you're going to farm the maps out at least get an interesting dev to do it.

Pop

So people who bought the map pass wasted 800 micro points. Isn't that just lovely. This is severely unacceptable.

Decisions and actions coming from 343i has me questioning the future of Halo. I'm already not liking H4 cause of it. Gameplay is solid but the decisions behind playlists and removing legacy features has made my experience unenjoyable.

u4iX

Get the people who made Unreal Tournament to make Big Team Battle maps they said... Everything is going to be fine they said...

Fracas

#fuckonami
So can HaloGAF pool its resources together and make a map pack?

I also assume the Dewtacular Map Pack will be released soon.

Havok

I guess now I'm confused about the workflow at 343. Does Kynan do the map overviews and blockouts, then hand it off to whoever they're outsourcing to for artists? In the walkthroughs, he speaks as if the core MP team is really involved, so I assume they've got a high level of oversight on the outsourcing. I just wonder if the level of control is really what it needs to be to maintain the quality bar they should be hitting - things like the framerate on Wreckage just flat out should not happen.

The Halo 2 Map Pack disc came with a cool documentary that showed how the MP designers would split up into small teams with a designer and a couple of in-house, full time artists and really be able to create something cohesive that they had intense amounts of control on. I wonder how much of that is simply not realistic anymore due to how expensive asset generation is now. I just think that the benefits of having a unified vision and being able to quickly hammer out the issues and not have to wait for check-ins and milestones from another developer would outweigh the cost of having that talent in-house, but I'm not really much of a businessman, nor do I really know what their process is like.

Someone want to sum up the DLC shenanigans?

First no-one could have them, then they were free, now they aren't but LE owners still mad?

i.e. I have LE, what do I do when I get home tonight to download the map pack?

CyReN

1) Maps are available at 5am to non LE/Season Pass Owners
2) Maps become available 9 hours later to everyone for free
3) Frankie apologizes via this thread
4) MS says if you download the free maps you are fine
5) LE members get fucked (again)

Computron

If someone else is making all the maps then what is 343 doing?

Making Forza cars, of course!

-----

I really like what their doing with the HDR on Harvest. I love this kind of low key ambient lighting with the mourning/dusk bright sunlight shining through.
The minerals on the Shatter map look surprisingly convincing despite any apparent sort of complex opacity, refraction or SSS effects. I wonder what they did with the materialto achieve the effect, maybe its just some emissive and fresnel effects?
The particle effects on wreckage are pretty sweet since you can find them all over the place. I also like the god rays that peer through the grating on the smashed side of the middle ship.

Karl2177

Making Forza cars of course!

-----

I really like what their doing with the HDR on Harvest. I love this kind of low key ambient lighting with the mourning/dusk bright sunlight shining through.
The minerals on the Shatter map look surprisingly convincing despite any sort of complex opacity, refraction or SSS effects.
The particle effects on wreckage are pretty sweet since you can find them all over the place. I also like the god rays that peer through the grating on the smashed side of the middle ship.

I like the bright fucking light that makes it so I can't look to one side.

First no-one could have them, then they were free, now they aren't but LE owners still mad?

i.e. I have LE, what do I do when I get home tonight to download the map pack?

1. DLC maps were free for some people
2. Population still terrible.
3. RIP Halo
4. Juices gets hired to save Halo 5
5. Merry Christmas!

Spasm

Man, I didn't want to believe all the negativity... but after a couple of hours... Yeah, these maps are pretty bleh.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, those mancannon achievements are definitely glitched. Got them both at one when me and another guy killed each other. I don't even think we were off the ground.

I like the maps so far. Harvest has the best aesthetic by far. Some fun objective play on them so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom