• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Andy Dufresne's escape from Shawshank Prison realistically possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me preface this by saying The Shawshank Redemption is a fantastic movie. The dialogues are perfect. Story is awesome, and the characters are strong. But let's get to the fun part. Andy Dufresne digs a tunnel from his prison wall in a span of 22 years with a small rockhammer.

shawshank-tunnel.png

How feasible is this? Also, shouldn't the prison guards be getting suspicious of small rock debris forming in their yard every day? Andy Dufresne gets rid of tunnel debris by taking the debris in his pants, walking in the yard and letting it loose.

andy_dufresne.jpg

I'd imagine that in 22 years that debris could have piled up huge. Anyways, from the tunnel, he drops onto what I think are iron sewer pipes. I could be wrong, but they look and sound metallic. He breaks a hole in that pipe with a rock after hitting it three times, and gets into it.
005348_11.jpg

It's radius pretty much encapsulates Andy's body. Then he crawls through shit and stank for 500 yards. Holy shit. I'd die halfway through. If not from stink, then from lack of Oxygen. Am I wrong in this?

CR043_KoldCast_Image_05.jpg

But in the end, it's worth it.

the_shawshank_redemption_d220.jpg

I think the least realistic part is breaking the pipe with a rock. I guess it could have been corroded or old or something. As far as the rubble, you have to figure they cleaned the yard of the prison so that isn't a problem. As far as climbing through the sewer, there would be oxygen because the pipe flowed out in to the open at the end and he cracked a hole in it as well.

While not entirely like the movie, yes:

ELIZABETH, N.J. (AP) — Two jail inmates used photos of bikini-clad women to hide holes they used to escape and left behind a thank-you note, signed with a smiley face, for a guard they claimed helped them, officials said Monday.

Jose Espinosa, 20, and Otis Blunt, 32, squeezed through the openings sometime before dawn Saturday in a high-security unit of the Union County jail, jumped onto a rooftop below, and made it over a 25-foot-high fence topped with razor wire, authorities said.

Authorities withheld the name of the officer the inmates said was involved. The note, found in Espinosa's cell, read, "Thank you Officer ... for the tools needed. You're a real pal. Happy holidays."

I'd imagine that in 22 years that debris could have piled up huge. Anyways, from the tunnel, he drops onto what I think are iron sewer pipes. I could be wrong, but they look and sound metallic. He breaks a hole in that pipe with a rock after hitting it three times, and gets into it.

Cast iron is brittle and can be cracked with blunt force -- especially if it's old.

dalyr95

The Warden believes it enough to have someone killed to stop Andy's release.

That's the stupidest reply I've ever heard. The reason he had him killed was to keep Andy cooking the books and making him a fortune, not because he thought he was a murderer.

(Plus in prison he couldn't snitch to the authorities)

That's the stupidest reply I've ever heard. The reason he had him killed was to keep Andy cooking the books and making him a fortune, not because he thought he was a murderer.

(Plus in prison he couldn't snitch to the authorities)

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The Warden has Tommy killed because he says he's willing to testify that his old cell mate confessed to the murders that Andy is in prison for. Andy is innocent.

He's just lucky he didn't get moved to another cell, which happens all the time. The fact he stayed in the same place so long with posters untouched is the unlikely part.

Touched upon in the movie. Warden threatens to remove Andy from that 'one-bunk Hilton' and 'cast you down with the sodomites.'

Drainage pipes aren't rated for pressure. They’re made of brittle cast iron and not a stronger materials like carbon steel. Cast iron could potentially break like that if the pipes were older and corroded. I’ve dropped cast iron pipe from waist height and watched is break under its own weight. That being said … those were some thick drainage pipes so …

Shawshank is probably a top 10 movie for me. Everytime it's on TV I stop. Doesn't matter where in the movie either.

EDIT: I see I was beaten regarding the cast iron. heh.

Considering how little rock he was dumping in the yard everyday I imagine no one would notice.

Like someone mentioned above, it's surprising he never had to switch cells. He would be fucked.

Grym

How did Andy hang the poster back up attached to the cell wall so nice, neat, straight, and undamaged from inside a hole he could not turn around in? His feet have some amazing dexterity and flexibility!!

lolmark

The only thing Andy was guilty of was not loving his wife enough. And breaking out of prison, and money laundering...

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Of course he was. That was proven in the movie. The real killer was Elmo Blatch, who Andy's protege Tommy Williams had met in a previous stint somewhere else. This is why Warden kills Tommy.

The only thing we know about Elmo was that he liked to talk a lot, according to Tommy. Prisons always have people bragging about shit. If just a part of his story was true (working at a country club), he would have most definitely been aware of the murders, and that Andy was convicted while saying he was innocent. So then a kid (Tommy) asks him who he has killed, and he decides to take credit for it.

Andy was guilty. There's no redemption if he was innocent all along.

snack

I watched the movie for the first times at year because a co-worker of mine recommended it. Wow, fuck me sideways because it was honestly one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Drainage pipes aren't rated for pressure. They’re made of brittle cast iron and not a stronger materials like carbon steel. Cast iron could potentially break like that if the pipes were older and corroded. I’ve dropped cast iron pipe from waist height and watched is break under its own weight. That being said … those were some thick drainage pipes so …

Shawshank is probably a top 10 movie for me. Everytime it's on TV I stop. Doesn't matter where in the movie either.

EDIT: I see I was beaten regarding the cast iron. heh.

Heh. My experience is from breaking apart old cast iron bath tubs. It's the only way to get them out and they're pretty easy to break apart with a hammer.

How did Andy hang the poster back up attached to the cell wall so nice, neat, straight, and undamaged from inside a hole he could not turn around in? His feet have some amazing dexterity and flexibility!!

I'm guessing the poster was just stuck at the top and the governer threw the stone with such velocity it went cleanly through. The poster was just paper as well

Grym

I'm guessing the poster was just stuck at the top and the governer threw the stone with such velocity it went cleanly through. The poster was just paper as well

Nah..you can tell it was attached at all four corners when he sticks his arm through it. The bottom (what should have been unattached in that scenario and what would have been logical) stays in place instead of bunching up from the force

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The rock he was leaving would have slowly degraded in the elements, so I doubt it would have been obvious. The fact that his cell never got searched properly in all that time is the most unlikely part, but he was considered the wardens lap dog so that explains how it might be at least possible.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nah..you can tell it was attached at all four corners when he sticks his arm through it. The bottom (what should have been unattached in that scenario and what would have been logical) stays in place instead of bunching up from the force
That's just poetic license though, because the visual looks better, with him inserting his arm into the wall.

Hiltz

Yeah, the guards failing to do a thorough inspection of Andy's cell was ridiculous. For all they knew, Andy could have been hiding a razor blade attached to the back of the poster with some tape. I guess the warden didn't even put any other inmate into Andy's cell during his time in the hole.

The rock he was leaving would have slowly degraded in the elements, so I doubt it would have been obvious. The fact that his cell never got searched properly in all that time is the most unlikely part, but he was considered the wardens lap dog so that explains how it might be at least possible.

Yeah it seems unlikely but possible.
The less possible part to me is the small rock hammer not wearing down to a nub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom