• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Project Gotham Racing Appreciation Thread

Shaneus

Recently posted by the Lucid Games team, a 2010 'unannounced, unfinished project we were working on at Bizarre Creations when the company was shut down': http://chrisdavie.tumblr.com/post/39865111827/brighton-storm-prototype-this-is-part-of-a
Blur DLC, then?

Edit: Okay, admittedly after reading that a little more carefully and actually taking notice of that video, the effects from the new shunt (both the light refracting trail and the asphalt damage) are quite impressive, especially if they managed to keep it at the same framerate.

Xun

That looked fantastic.

Bizarre. :(

Even though I doubt they'll make anymore console games, they do seem to be hinting at a racing game:

Skylightthumb.png

Seeing as this thread has been bumped I'd like to let everyone know that for me, Forza Horizon is definitely the spiritual successor to the PGR series. The handling is similar, the list of cars is similar and it even has a kudos system of sorts.

I don't like the Forza games usually (I'm a Gran Turismo & PGR man) but I can't recommend Forza Horizon enough. It is for all intents and purposes, PGR 5.

PGR gets all my love for being one of the racing games to mix simulation with arcade-y to make for a great medium. Which is what I'm hearing from Forza Horizon.

PGR 2 has one of my favorite licensed soundtracks. Location-specific radios got me into some Japanese music.

Shaneus

That looked fantastic.

Bizarre. :(

Even though I doubt they'll make anymore console games, they do seem to be hinting at a racing game:

Skylightthumb.png
Hm... that could be good! I'm afraid the Bizarre of old has become too splintered, though. I'm not sure how many of the old PGR/Blur teams are clustered, but I know there's a few in Lucid and some others in Playground. Maybe Lucid will get subcontracted (or something) by PG to work on a new PGR title!
Didn't realise that picture's only from last month. I know they've been occasionally hinting at something for AGES (at least, they did on one occasion, around 6 months or so after Lucid were formed) but there hadn't really been any word since.

PGR gets all my love for being one of the racing games to mix simulation with arcade-y to make for a great medium.
That's the thing I love about it. It feels sim-ish without feeling dumbed down at all. Sort of like what the more recent NFS games try and pull off (but IMO fail due to way-too-arcadey drift mechanics).

cbox

I'm incredibly sad Bizzare is gone. Mainly because PGR is gone, and the other is that Geometry wars is gone too :(

God damnit Activision. fuck

Fox Mulder

I'm incredibly sad Bizzare is gone. Mainly because PGR is gone, and the other is that Geometry wars is gone too :(

God damnit Activision. fuck

Bizarre knew who they were getting in bed with, and the industry is at a point where one or two bombs can easily kill any studio.

TJP

Hmmm...the links I posted regarding Blur 2 have been pulled down. Hopefully this means something positive is afoot at Lucid Games.

TJP

How long did it take another developer to match what Bizarre managed to do with an Xbox 360 in 2007 with PGR 4? The fact is PGR4 is an old game yet it still mixes with the best console racing game made today. 30fps was a smart trade off by Bizarre in both PGR 3 and 4 as well as Blur given the 60fps Forza has very noticable aliasing issues when racing whilst Horizon has a decent level of anti-aliasing because of the lower framerate. Further, I've never read anyone complaining about Dirt, Grid, F1 or Split/Second looking like shite even though these 4 games run at 30fps.

"Regardless of how optimised your engine is you can, by definition, render twice as much detail at 30FPS as at 60FPS. For Split/Second we felt that the consumer experience would be best enhanced by having more detailed environments, more physics, more VFX and explosions, more lighting and more impressive Power Plays" - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-split-second-tech-interview?page=2

FWIW, I prefer to run my PC racing sims at 60fps or more; it's a very difficult task to achieve on the ancient Xbox hardware with a decent level of AI cars. 60 fps with 4xMSAA (or better) and 16xAF should be attainable on new console hardware and hopefully Lucid and other ex-Bizarre Creations studio developers will be making racing games.

Dueck

Banned
There's now a void to fill for the "arcade-simulation" hybrid racing games. NFS has not been fun for me in years, but that's the closest thing to PGR left... Sad, really.

whitehawk

Banned
Will be Launch title for xbox 720.Believe
If Microsoft was smart, they would do their best to round up old Bizarre staff and re-create the studio for PGR5 as a 720 launch title.

PGR4 was launched at the worst possible time. It was released October 2nd 2007 1 week after Halo 3 launched on September 25th 2007. Had the release not been so close to Halo 3, I'm sure it would have done better.

Shaneus

If Microsoft was smart, they would do their best to round up old Bizarre staff and re-create the studio for PGR5 as a 720 launch title.

PGR4 was launched at the worst possible time. It was released October 2nd 2007 1 week after Halo 3 launched on September 25th 2007. Had the release not been so close to Halo 3, I'm sure it would have done better.
I think a Playground Games feat. Lucid would probably cover most of it. The key people you'd be missing out on would be Gareth Wilson who's at Sumo and Nick Wiswell, who's now the main audio guy at T10.

I'm also not sure where Martyn Chudley ended up after the whole thing.

Going through MobyGames, some key people and where they are (if they're relevant/actually have updated entries):
PGR4:
Alan Mealor, Lead City Environment Artist. Now at Playground.
Stephen McAuley, Graphics Programmer. Only worked on Far Cry 3 since Blood Stone.
Ged Talbot, Lead Designer. Now with Evolution Studios (Motorstorm).
Jan van Valburg, Lead GFX Programmer: Now "part of the Activision Central Technology group". So I guess, working on the next CoD engine :/

PS. This is a promising retweet:
LTwGg.png

I played hundreds of hours on all the PGR games. I can say without a doubt that if they brought this to next gen. I would honestly shed a tear.

Bgamer90

Banned

Yeah, I don't get what they were thinking. Such a stupid decision. Of course the game was going to bomb.

I played hundreds of hours on all the PGR games. I can say without a doubt that if they brought this to next gen. I would honestly shed a tear.

I would faint.

Project Gotham Racing was the first Xbox game I ever played on Nov 15, 2001. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life and a memory I greatly cherish.

Microsoft bringing focus back to the Project Gotham Series and making it a launch title for the new Xbox will feel so right, and it would be a great time to relaunch the franchise. Forza is starting to get too diluted. Bringing back the original plan of alternating between Forza and PGR is the best way to proceed forward.

TJP

Formula One was the first racing game I played on the PlayStation, PGR was the first Xbox racing game I played and PGR 3 was the first racing game I played on the Xbox 360.

I'd love a new PGR game on the next Xbox too & hopefully it'll be made with a lot of ex-Bizarre Creations staff. Martyn Chudley needs to pull off a Blues Brothers 'mission from God' by 'putting the band back together' post-haste.

Hawk269

Ahhh the memories of PGR2 on Xbox Live. Man, that is when On-Line gaming was amazing. Had a big group of friends that I met on-line and played this game extensively. Amazing game.

There are days when I try really hard to forget this, but it never works. Hundreds and hundreds of hours (and that's just for like a dozen high score games or so) will have that effect on a guy.

Man, I was having such a good day too :(

Seeing as this thread has been bumped I'd like to let everyone know that for me, Forza Horizon is definitely the spiritual successor to the PGR series. The handling is similar, the list of cars is similar and it even has a kudos system of sorts.

I don't like the Forza games usually (I'm a Gran Turismo & PGR man) but I can't recommend Forza Horizon enough. It is for all intents and purposes, PGR 5.

Sorry, for me Forza Horizon is not a PGR replacement. PGR always was an arcade game that still required (and rewarded) the racing-line precision of sim racers, with its narrow tracks and tight turns. Never got that feeling from Horizon.

Shaneus

That's it. I'm gonna buy PGR 4.

Great thread!
This thread has all been worth it :)

Sorry, for me Forza Horizon is not a PGR replacement. PGR always was an arcade game that still required (and rewarded) the racing-line precision of sim racers, with its narrow tracks and tight turns. Never got that feeling from Horizon.
Pretty much. There's definitely some of the "spirit" of PGR in there, but PGR was almost entirely about racing through cities... hence the "Gotham" (and previously, "Metropolis") reference in the title. It's cool to race around those roads in faux-Colorado, but there's no thrill of whizzing past landmarks down the smallest of laneways in a tightly-packed city. The closest is probably Most Wanted, but it's very much been cartooned up with powerups, police and the driving model which just feels *too* arcadey. If they could do the Horizon driving model (or even something closer to PGR4, but I'd settle for the Horizon one) set out in cities that offer enough variance to still feel civilised yet different enough from each other (the location selection in 4 was *perfect*) then I'd be happy. And no stupid metagame outside of it where you're trying to be the baddest dude in the league or some shit like that. A simple points table and faux-calendar (a la PGR4) is fine, coupled with the MP component of PGR2.

Basically, I want a game that's designed around how this trailer makes me feel. Just the right amount of "fuck yeah" without going into automotive-dudebro territory (a la pretty much all NFS games after Porsche Unleashed, save for maybe the Shift titles).

K444WSR

PGR4.... what a game. Flawless in every department. Had the most amazing weather effects and spent close to 4months permanently stuck in my 360. If a new PGR was announced, i too, like many others in this thread, would be there day 1. It's one of gamings tragedies that bizarre is no longer around.

How long did it take another developer to match what Bizarre managed to do with an Xbox 360 in 2007 with PGR 4? The fact is PGR4 is an old game yet it still mixes with the best console racing game made today. 30fps was a smart trade off by Bizarre in both PGR 3 and 4 as well as Blur given the 60fps Forza has very noticable aliasing issues when racing whilst Horizon has a decent level of anti-aliasing because of the lower framerate. Further, I've never read anyone complaining about Dirt, Grid, F1 or Split/Second looking like shite even though these 4 games run at 30fps.

"Regardless of how optimised your engine is you can, by definition, render twice as much detail at 30FPS as at 60FPS. For Split/Second we felt that the consumer experience would be best enhanced by having more detailed environments, more physics, more VFX and explosions, more lighting and more impressive Power Plays" - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-split-second-tech-interview?page=2

FWIW, I prefer to run my PC racing sims at 60fps or more; it's a very difficult task to achieve on the ancient Xbox hardware with a decent level of AI cars. 60 fps with 4xMSAA (or better) and 16xAF should be attainable on new console hardware and hopefully Lucid and other ex-Bizarre Creations studio developers will be making racing games.

Bullshit.
PGR3 was aiming for 60fps before the game was released, they even promised it would be 60fps, but dropped it at the last second to get it out for launch.
PGR1 was 60fps & had higher polygon cars & textures over the 30fps PGR2 as well.

Own and loved every game in this series starting with MSR. I love how accurate the cities are too. I was playing London, probably in PGR 4 with my friend and we noticed one of those shitty tourist shops. We started laughing about how it might have those tacky postcards of Princess Diana's head. We went into photo mode and zoomed in, and while it was a little blurry, IT WAS BLOODY THERE! The track/ level designers really didn't mess around!

Reiko

Banned
Own and loved every game in this series starting with MSR. I love how accurate the cities are too. I was playing London, probably in PGR 4 with my friend and we noticed one of those shitty tourist shops. We started laughing about how it might have those tacky postcards of Princess Diana's head. We went into photo mode and zoomed in, and while it was a little blurry, IT WAS BLOODY THERE! The track/ level designers really didn't mess around!

Yep. Disturbing, yet incredible attention to detail.

Shaneus

Bullshit.
PGR3 was aiming for 60fps before the game was released, they even promised it would be 60fps, but dropped it at the last second to get it out for launch.
PGR1 was 60fps & had higher polygon cars & textures over the 30fps PGR2 as well.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54878

Says they were still "aiming" for 60fps in July (it was released in November) but it doesn't mention any promises there. So it was hardly a last second compromise from what I can gather. Unless there's an article from an earlier time which actually quotes Bizarre as saying it was 100% confirmed.

The closest I can find is this article where it says "and PGR3 still runs at 60 frames per second - twice the rate of TV", but it doesn't sound like he's quoting Bizarre themselves on that, so he could've been making that call themselves. Hardly sounds like a promise in that article, though.

Still don't see exactly what you're trying to call out in TJP's post, though. I don't think he even mentioned what Bizarre were focusing on.

Yep. Disturbing, yet incredible attention to detail.
From what I can remember, the texture streaming method/tech used in PGR4 (and possibly 3) was quite unique at the time because it meant that they weren't restricted by the amount of textures over the entire track, just the ones on the screen (and to allow for *some* read-ahead as well, obviously). The other kind of revolutionary thing they did (though I doubt they were the first, just the first well known dev, I guess) was using the to-be-discarded frame buffer (that was one frame old, but hardly redundant) for reflections on the car, which is how they achieved such a high level of detail with it compared to other games (I think even GT5 didn't use this, but correct me if I'm wrong... I think they opted for "true" reflections, but at a ridiculously low resolution). I have a feeling Turn 10 even borrowed this idea for Forza 3 onwards (maybe even 2).

Shaneus

Other day I went in my friends house and play a little of Forza 3. Its beauty but not impressed me like the pictures I see.

But that PGR4 in other hand... wow!

The light, the textures, the rain, everything in this video looks so beautiful!
I just watched that video then. With the off-screen camera slightly muting (or exaggerating) the colours and the fact that YouTube only shows video at 30fps, you really would be forgiven for thinking that was real life. At least, watching it in the smaller window of the browser (and not full screen in HD).

PGR was ALWAYS an arcade game, not a semi sim
I disagree. If you consider arcade racers such as Outrun 2006, Ridge Racer, Split Second and so on, it's easy to see why PGR can be considered sim-arcade. It's definitely not at the Forza/GT end of things but it's certainly not at the Outrun 2006, etc end of things. So if it sits in the middle, it has to be sim-arcade.

I didn't say it was a replacement, merely a spiritual successor.

And as for the bolded, hell no. One of the biggest problems I've had with the PGR series has been the kudos points target races. Basically you had to drive like a complete tit to get the target. The kudos system didn't reward "proper" driving anywhere near enough: when you get more kudos for donut-ing a car rather than hitting the apex perfectly, you know it's a system that doesn't reward racing-line precision at all.

NinjaBoiX

Yup, FH is the best racer this gen. It's so fucking good!

Handles like a dream
Looks incredible
Runs without a hitch
No invisible walls, you can drive pretty much wherever you like
Gorgeous world
Incredibly fast

Just buy it, if you have even a passing interest in racers.

Xanadu

Banned
I disagree. If you consider arcade racers such as Outrun 2006, Ridge Racer, Split Second and so on, it's easy to see why PGR can be considered sim-arcade. It's definitely not at the Forza/GT end of things but it's certainly not at the Outrun 2006, etc end of things. So if it sits in the middle, it has to be sim-arcade.
i consider forza and gt to be simcade, pgr to be arcade and outrun to be a joke

proper sims include, iracing, rfactor, lfs etc

Shaneus

And as for the bolded, hell no. One of the biggest problems I've had with the PGR series has been the kudos points target races. Basically you had to drive like a complete tit to get the target. The kudos system didn't reward "proper" driving anywhere near enough: when you get more kudos for donut-ing a car rather than hitting the apex perfectly, you know it's a system that doesn't reward racing-line precision at all.
Those kudos races and the cone races were the biggest bitches ever. About the only main fault I can think of with that system, is that you got the same kind of award points for a superbly taken corner (as in, at high speed, hitting the apex) as you do for fishtailing and braking. If there was, say, a "style" kudos and "hoon" kudos, it'd work MUCH better.

Yup, FH is the best racer this gen. It's so fucking good!

Handles like a dream
Looks incredible
Runs without a hitch
No invisible walls, you can drive pretty much wherever you like
Gorgeous world
Incredibly fast

Just buy it, if you have even a passing interest in racers.
No invisible walls. There are shitloads of walls, just that they're all visible. And pretty much all your points apply perfectly for PGR4 as well ;)

i consider forza and gt to be simcade, pgr to be arcade and outrun to be a joke

proper sims include, iracing, rfactor, lfs etc
PGR couldn't be considered "arcade" because the very definition of it is a game like what you'd see in an arcade. Other than F355, the others that were mentioned *are* arcade. Perhaps "casual" is a better term, or at least another we can use? So we have:
Sim
Casual-sim (Forza etc.)
Simcade (PGR)
Arcade (Outrun 2, Daytona etc.)

Because like I said, PGR4 sure as shit isn't *anything* like an arcade game. At all.

Xanadu

Banned
PGR couldn't be considered "arcade" because the very definition of it is a game like what you'd see in an arcade. Other than F355, the others that were mentioned *are* arcade. Perhaps "casual" is a better term, or at least another we can use? So we have:
Sim
Casual-sim (Forza etc.)
Simcade (PGR)
Arcade (Outrun 2, Daytona etc.)

Because like I said, PGR4 sure as shit isn't *anything* like an arcade game. At all.

if its a simcade i'd say its much more on the arcade side but i guess i agree

Yeah, but those two games suck massively. The handing in those games is abysmal. As are the graphics. And sound effects. And everything else that matters!

the hardcore physics in TDU1 were great with a wheel, awesome fun to be had. graphically the game looked great for an open world game in 2006, and it still looks good today with forza 4 high detail mods. TDU2 flat out sucked though yea

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TDU1 was the greatest idea for a car game ever that was handled as poorly as possible. Never even looked at TDU2 after how bad 1 was.

TJP

Those kudos races and the cone races were the biggest bitches ever. About the only main fault I can think of with that system, is that you got the same kind of award points for a superbly taken corner (as in, at high speed, hitting the apex) as you do for fishtailing and braking. If there was, say, a "style" kudos and "hoon" kudos, it'd work MUCH better.
'Oh yeah!' as Randy Savage would say. The cone races could be very evil however the sense of satisfaction of clearing them was epic. What I love about the physics in PGR is the cars often needed to be driven in a realistic way in order to succeed at the highest difficulty levels. This meant braking for hairpins, using correct lines though corners but you could also choose to use the handbrake to elicit slides, poweslide as long as you liked and generally act like an idiot whenever you felt like it.

No other racing series has given me more grins per minute than PGR.

Shaneus

the hardcore physics in TDU1 were great with a wheel, awesome fun to be had. graphically the game looked great for an open world game in 2006, and it still looks good today with forza 4 high detail mods. TDU2 flat out sucked though yea
Wait... mods? I'd never thought to check if it was even released on PC at all. Will have to hunt it down for sure. I enjoyed what I played of it on 360, but never really put as much time into it as I wanted. Are there mods for other things as well (such as missions, handling/physics etc.) or is it really only the car mods that you need?

And do they use the Forza interiors?

Shaneus

Is Blur no longer on steam?
It should be... I haven't had to look it up for a while, but it wouldn't have been more than a few months ago I last stumbled across the Blur forum area on there.

If not... maybe someone picked up the license? Lucid?!? Stuff gets taken off Steam when there's licensing issues, I believe. At least, that's what happened with Outrun Coast 2 Coast.

TJP

Looks like Blur has been taken off Steam and it's not the first time Lackofvision has done this. Good news is the Blur multiplayer servers are still operational according to posts on Steam's Blur forum.

Xanadu

Banned
Wait... mods? I'd never thought to check if it was even released on PC at all. Will have to hunt it down for sure. I enjoyed what I played of it on 360, but never really put as much time into it as I wanted. Are there mods for other things as well (such as missions, handling/physics etc.) or is it really only the car mods that you need?

And do they use the Forza interiors?
its a much better game on PC, not sure about missions and that stuff but there are plenty of car and sound mods from here http://forum.turboduck.net/forums/75-Vehicle-Models. also wheel support is pretty limited but i got mine to work so hopefully it will be ok

try and find forza 4 models as they are the best quality, heres a shot of a clk forza model
testdriveunlimited201c9o0b.png

Top Bottom