• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shaneus

Are there any direct download links/mirrors for Project CARS updates? I stupidly uninstalled my own copy because it would've been a few months out of date and figured it would've taken only a few hours at most to get up to date.

Not so.

It's currently downloading at ~175kb/s and has been doing so for the last 24 hours or so. And still going. At least if I have a direct link to the updates, I can use a downloader to get multiple streams going at once. As it is... it's fucked.

Edit: Managed to find a thread for it here. Obviously you can't see that unless you're a member.

Three60

RaceRoom RE another license announced > BMW 635 CSi

wkKEP.jpg

http://insider.simbin.com/licensing-bmw-bmw-635-csi/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So theres currently no way to get into Project Cars. I want to get into Project Cars.

What are my options?

TJP

So theres currently no way to get into Project Cars. I want to get into Project Cars.
I believe membership upgrades and new memberships are closed until the Financial Services Authority are happy with the funding arrangement that SMS have in place to ensure CARS isn't an 'unauthorised investment scheme'.

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?11989-WMD-Membership-Upgrades-Closed

There was also a post by an SMS employee which only members could see that stated: 'Hello, yes, this is on hold (no new signup) until we have more informations later in January. I'm temporary closing this thread until then'. http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...signup-amnesty&p=344902&viewfull=1#post344902

You may be in luck come late January.

Spookie

So I've been um'ing and err'ing about upgrading to a G27 and with my Birthday around the corner I pulled the trigger so I'm getting in to sims. So I own Race 07 from the steam sale, getting in to iRacing and about to pick up Game Stock Car 2012. Are there any other sims you guys recommend which have a healthy online component. I'm holding off buying rFactor till the second is released before someone suggests it. :>

1-D_FTW

Kind of curious about iRacing's new handling model now. My 6 month trial ends in another week, so I figured I'd give it another shot. I have to say, with the t500, I find the handling to be a lot more realistic. Wouldn't mind giving the new tire model a shot, though, before it cancels and I have to make a decision.

So I've been um'ing and err'ing about upgrading to a G27 and with my Birthday around the corner I pulled the trigger so I'm getting in to sims. So I own Race 07 from the steam sale, getting in to iRacing and about to pick up Game Stock Car 2012. Are there any other sims you guys recommend which have a healthy online component. I'm holding off buying rFactor till the second is released before someone suggests it. :>

iRacing definitely is the gold standard for online. Unless you join some racing leagues. I would assume anything is on the table then.

TJP

I'd say iRacing is a must for online play as it seems to be very well organised and the members are very serious about their racing.

Simraceway is free to play online simulation where the cars cost money (from 6 cents to $30+ dollars!!) but the tracks don't cost a cent. SRW is nowhere near as populated as iRacing however the rules are very stringent so little to no cheating occurs. One can compete in quick races, weekly races and time trial events; the latter events award money to be spent on cars and you earn credits for each clean lap you drive in any online events which also can be used to purchase cars.

Unless you join a league, forget about playing Race '07 and GTR online as the public lobbies are full of idiots running pirated software. SimBin say it's a Steam issue and Steam say it's a SimBin issue with the net result being online public lobbies are kaput.

GSC 2012 is best enjoyed in a league too.

TJP

RaceDepartment runs a lot of great leagues using nearly every sim in existence.

You need to register and then obtain a 'licence' which is nothing more than listing what sims you own and what you use to play them (what wheel and pedals you have) plus you agree to partake in racing under the rules set out by Race Department. What this really means is you agree not to be a douchebag while racing. After being accepted, you can join any RD league you like 8)

Spookie

Well I ended up picking up rFactor 2, GSC2012 and I'm also playing iRacing. Man the g27 peddles are incredible compared to DFGT. I no longer have to be super careful on the brake and acc. Now I just have to learn how to use the clutch! Still to much of a liability to go online though. :(

Shaneus

From what I've garnered, the best (and cheapest) thing you can do for the G27 pedals is get something like this spring. It's a (relatively) simple thing to install and it makes a world of difference.

Worked out well for me, because the guy who makes them happens to be in Melbourne so I only got the thing a day or two after I bought it off eBay :)

ISR review for the GT-EYE spring

One thing to keep in mind: The original GT-EYE guy recommended that you actually switch other pedals springs around as well. Just noticed he put this on the eBay store:
Do you sell the other pedal springs? If you wish to upgrade the other pedals, we suggest to install the GTEYE brake spring in the brake pedal, then swap the original brake spring into the clutch pedal, and the original clutch spring into the accelerator pedal. This is all personal preference depending on the result you are after.

Best $30 I ever spent.

1-D_FTW

From what I've garnered, the best (and cheapest) thing you can do for the G27 pedals is get something like this spring. It's a (relatively) simple thing to install and it makes a world of difference.

Worked out well for me, because the guy who makes them happens to be in Melbourne so I only got the thing a day or two after I bought it off eBay :)

ISR review for the GT-EYE spring

One thing to keep in mind: The original GT-EYE guy recommended that you actually switch other pedals springs around as well. Just noticed he put this on the eBay store:

Best $30 I ever spent.

I bought it on your recommendation and it was definitely worth the money for the G27.

Swapping springs, however, is kind of meh. I spent quite a bit of time swapping things around and think, in the end, I just replaced the brake with the replacement brake spring. It's possible I put the old brake spring on the clutch. Can't remember. But I think I ditched that. The clutch spring on the gas was total ass. And it's kind of a PITA opening and closing things to do it. So I wouldn't waste a second on that one. You're just gonna have to rip everything back open to put it back the way it was.

Shaneus

I bought it on your recommendation and it was definitely worth the money for the G27.

Swapping springs, however, is kind of meh. I spent quite a bit of time swapping things around and think, in the end, I just replaced the brake with the replacement brake spring. It's possible I put the old brake spring on the clutch. Can't remember. But I think I ditched that. The clutch spring on the gas was total ass. And it's kind of a PITA opening and closing things to do it. So I wouldn't waste a second on that one. You're just gonna have to rip everything back open to put it back the way it was.
Yeah, I couldn't argue with you there... but I didn't change it back. Different strokes, I guess! I never really used the pedals much before modding them so I couldn't honestly judge.

I know I'm complaining but this is something that has bugged me in several racing games.

1) If it's raining or showing... why isn't there any water/snow on the vehicle? There should be water droplets or small patches of snow buildup around the car. Judging by screenshots of pCars... this is still not addressed. Same with dirt/debris buildup.

2) Backfire reflection... or lack thereof. I know... very minor. But it's something I notice.

Watevaman

I know I'm complaining but this is something that has bugged me in several racing games.

1) If it's raining or showing... why isn't there any water/snow on the vehicle? There should be water droplets or small patches of snow buildup around the car. Judging by screenshots of pCars... this is still not addressed. Same with dirt/debris buildup.

2) Backfire reflection... or lack thereof. I know... very minor. But it's something I notice.

Both of these are in pCARS. The water on the car is currently being developed and the backfire projects onto the pavement/siding as needed. Unless you're talking about backfire reflection on the paint of the car or something.

Both of these are in pCARS. The water on the car is currently being developed and the backfire projects onto the pavement/siding as needed. Unless you're talking about backfire reflection on the paint of the car or something.

Good to hear about the water on the car. And yes I meant reflection on pavement, sides AND the shiny reflective tail end of the car.

Xanadu

Banned

0011.jpg

TJP

Latest SimBin insider picture of what's coming:

collage-670x583.jpg

SimBin posted this statement with the picture: "And because we would not like you think that this is all we will have for RaceRoom Racing Experience, we have prepared a small sneak peak into future content announcements. This sneak peak is only a very small one, as there is so much more coming than we can display on a single picture!

It is not only hinting to what cars to expect, but also what kind of cars to expect! ;)
"

It look little time for the sim community to break down the cars seen in the picture as:

Cars:
Ascari A10 KZ
Ascari KZ1 GT3
Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3
Cadillac CTS-V
Corvette Daytona Prototypes Grand-Am
Ginetta GT3
Greenwood Corvette
Koenigsegg Agera-R
Radical
Zakspeed Ford Capri Group 5

Tracks:
Race Resort Ascari
Silverstone
Suzuka

Shaneus

collage-670x583.jpg

SimBin posted this statement with the picture: "And because we would not like you think that this is all we will have for RaceRoom Racing Experience, we have prepared a small sneak peak into future content announcements. This sneak peak is only a very small one, as there is so much more coming than we can display on a single picture!

It is not only hinting to what cars to expect, but also what kind of cars to expect! ;)
"

It look little time for the sim community to break down the cars seen in the picture as:

Cars:
Ascari A10 KZ
Ascari KZ1 GT3
Cadillac CTS-V
Ginetta GT3
Greenwood Corvette
Koenigsegg Agera-R
Radical

Tracks:
Race Resort Ascari
Silverstone
Suzuka
I see snow!

Shaneus

I've seen PGR4 before. It just doesn't look right.
From in-car the water on the windscreen looks great and *for the time* the water on the outside of the cars looked pretty good, but with the power we have behind PCs now... I agree, you'd think it'd be better. Probably because there's no real application for it outside of driving games (as in, RPGs or 3PS or FPS titles would hardly benefit from semi-accurate water depictions).

I'm just gonna assume GTR3 got the axe and was rolled into this.
Sure looks like it :/

"

Cars:
Ascari A10 KZ
Ascari KZ1 GT3
Cadillac CTS-V
Ginetta GT3
Greenwood Corvette
Koenigsegg Agera-R
Radical

Tracks:
Race Resort Ascari
Silverstone
Suzuka
BTW, I'd never heard of Race Resort Ascari before and just looked it up... holy hell, how did I not know that existed? Now I need to see it in everything.

Shaneus

You're thinking Australia? They'd better hurry, otherwise there'll be a few more cars they'd have to add!

So yeah, no word on GT3?

Darkdeus

Here's some WIP shots of pcars waterdrops. They only appear on a few of the cars as of now and apparently they are making the particle effects a lot better so these should improve as well. Not a bad start though. These shots were not taken by me:

8371317163_05603eb757_c.jpg

8372387962_dac327c44b_c.jpg

8372387898_553fbd6350_c.jpg

8372387688_59209c35a2_c.jpg

8371317075_4e4b43e1a3_c.jpg

Here's some WIP shots of pcars waterdrops. They only appear on a few of the cars as of now and apparently they are making the particle effects a lot better so these should improve as well. Not a bad start though. These shots were not taken by me:

8371317163_05603eb757_c.jpg

8372387962_dac327c44b_c.jpg

8372387898_553fbd6350_c.jpg

8372387688_59209c35a2_c.jpg

8371317075_4e4b43e1a3_c.jpg

Seriously pCars looks so amazing I only wish it controlled more like rFactor, that's the main thing keeping me away :/

Darkdeus

Seriously pCars looks so amazing I only wish it controlled more like rFactor, that's the main thing keeping me away :/

Yea i really hope they can continue to improve the physics and at least get them up to rfactor's. After playing rfactor/GSC 2012 it is painful to play pcars as this point. They have been improving the physics though and the feedback from Nic Hamilton and Ben Collins has been very good as of late. GSC 2012 just feels so amazing to me that it is hard to play anything else at the moment, except for maybe Power and Glory 3 and drm 2.0b. I am looking forward to seeing how RRE feels without assists and there's always Assetto Corsa to look forward too. I just want them all to be awesome sims though!

TJP

Is RR-RE supposed to be a hardcore sim? I remember the demo being really accessible and it didn't feel that good.
I was under the impression the closed beta was different. But I'm not in it nor have I seen impressions. Hope I'm not wrong about that.

I can assure everyone that with no assists switched on RR-RE feels like a SimBin made game should; easy to play yet hard to master. Whether or not you believe this approach is 'hardcore' enough based on Race 07 and GTR Evo is up to you. I think its worth remembering professional racing drivers over the years have both enjoyed and praised SimBin sims including current GSC 2012 driver Rubens Barrichello 8) The only thing I really hate about RR-RE are the braking markers; anyone who has watched a video or played the beta themselves will know what I'm talking about.

Yea i really hope they can continue to improve the physics and at least get them up to rfactor's. After playing rfactor/GSC 2012 it is painful to play pcars as this point. They have been improving the physics though and the feedback from Nic Hamilton and Ben Collins has been very good as of late.
Amen to this!

CARS looks sensational but it's a mixed bag to drive right now. Playing rFactor 2 makes the physics in CARS feels years behind the times just like CARS makes rFactor look like complete arse! When the driving in rF2 is so sublime, its not hard to forget about the graphics. CARS will get better and with Ben Collins back on board steering the physics and Nic Hamilton giving his opinion too instead of uneducated community comments (myself included!) about the build feeling good, bad or indifferent.

GSC 2012 just feels so amazing to me that it is hard to play anything else at the moment, except for maybe Power and Glory 3 and drm 2.0b. I am looking forward to seeing how RRE feels without assists and there's always Assetto Corsa to look forward too. I just want them all to be awesome sims though!
GSC 2012 is sensational all round; for me it it ranks only slightly behind nKP, FVA and rF2 as the best sims on the PC. RR-RE can be included amongst these too 8) Assetto Corsa should be everything the PC sim community is looking for. It would be fantastic if every simulation in development ends up being sublime too.

Polyphony

Same opinion as many of you. My pCars install corrupted and I haven't bothered reinstalling the client since my latest experiences with GSC2012.

On another note, has anybody tried RSRBR 2013?

8072117605_fecd313922_b.jpg

Darkdeus

I think i have rsrbr 2011 or 12 installed. It's still an amazing sim and it's dirt physics are still unsurpassed. It actually looks pretty good playing in 1440p downsampled to 1080p. I'm amazed at how good the vegetation looks for a game that came out in 2004. I wonder how long it'll be until someone actually manages to make a better rally sim. Here's an old video I made on one of the easier tracks: http://youtu.be/ScfgLHEBeeU

1-D_FTW

I can assure everyone that with no assists switched on RR-RE feels like a SimBin made game should; easy to play yet hard to master. Whether or not you believe this approach is 'hardcore' enough based on Race 07 and GTR Evo is up to you. I think its worth remembering professional racing drivers over the years have both enjoyed and praised SimBin sims including current GSC 2012 driver Rubens Barrichello 8) The only thing I really hate about RR-RE are the braking markers; anyone who has watched a video or played the beta themselves will know what I'm talking about.

Sounds promising:)

I don't have RBR :(

Safe to assume RSRBR is a complete addon-y thing a la Power and Glory?

It's cheap on Amazon, though. Wish it was on Steam, but I think I need to order this one day.

Same opinion as many of you. My pCars install corrupted and I haven't bothered reinstalling the client since my latest experiences with GSC2012.

8072117605_fecd313922_b.jpg

It's pretty awesome, very hard to master but extremely satisfying when you (sort of) do.

for the record I'm extremely crap but when you do nail those few corners I feel like a rally pro lol.

Spookie

Man fuck iRacing and it's SR. I have to brake because the cunt in front drives erratic and because the cunt behind doesn't know what a brake is I get a penalty? What a moronic system.

Darkdeus

If anyone on here doesn't have GSC 2012 yet check out these videos I made against the AI at 105%. It's probably the best AI I've ever raced against. They do a really good job of racing in a pack without hitting you or each other. I'm hoping that Assetto Corsa will be able to match or surpass it. What sim do you guys think has the best AI?

Cascavel circuit: http://youtu.be/o5IospugD8g
Brasilia circuit: http://youtu.be/b741cYu2X-0

I thought this crash looked kinda cool too.
Brasilia crash: http://youtu.be/OCqOxRFWeco

TJP

If anyone on here doesn't have GSC 2012 yet check out these videos I made against the AI at 105%. It's probably the best AI I've ever raced against. They do a really good job of racing in a pack without hitting you or each other. I'm hoping that Assetto Corsa will be able to match or surpass it. What sim do you guys think has the best AI?
Great videos Darkdeus. One can only imagine what Reiza could do with the rFactor 2 engine; hopefully ISI licence their isiMotor v2.5 to Reiza to make the Senna game.

The AI in Assetto Corsa should be very good however it'll be Kunos's first and only effort to create AI cars in a sim. They seem happy enough with their efforts in the tweets I've read. GSC 2012 has the best AI cars I've driven against - fast and aggressive but fair. The worst would be SMS AI cars; they suck in Shift and Unleashed and are horrible in their alpha state in pCARS.

I own and enjoy Race 07 and GTR Evo.

Is there some newer game out I should be playing? I find it difficult to keep up with all the different games. Thanks. :p

Top Bottom