• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Shouldn't we be more interested in what games/non game stuff are coming rather than what edram or gigahurtz or googleplexes are in the thing? No, this is Neogaf.
Fat nerds only happy when shit is CAPABLE of running things fast/amazing graphics rather than if there is a possibility it ever will

Hey, what did I ever do to you? :-(

Mrbob

The difference between 1gb of DDR and 3.5 GB of gddr5 is pretty massive. Not only in size but also speed. Nintendo is in an awkward spot again with third parties.

Reiko

Banned
Just another hint:

By reading the PS4 specs it looks the PS4 is MUCH more powerful than the 720.

But here's the catch, lherre a developer under NDA says both consoles will be like PS3 & 360 of last gen.

So we are seriously still missing a huge chunk of Durango info. Which is strange since more info about Durango would be known after CES...

AndyH

Neo Member
It's nice to finally have an article from a known website on all of these rumours.

I talked about most of this regarding Durango over the past year here - 8 cores at 1.6ghz, 8GB of slow ram, rough estimation of GPU, Win8 utilisation etc. The 3GB and 2 core dedicated to the OS is real. I guess you will just have to wait and see what they have in store.

Here's a couple things I have talked about before that weren't talked about in the article. Microsoft are encouraging 1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60fps to developers. I am not sure if they are trying to enforce this or not.

Approximately 1GB of RAM can be accessed per frame. Dunno if it was at 30fps or 60fps.

Not sure if this is actually new but I was informed that the cores in the Durango processor have their own FPUs rather than the 2 modules share one FPU that the older AMD processors were using. I haven't looked into whether this is something that is new with Jaguar processors though, so this might be nothing special.

Regarding the RAM difference between the two consoles I don't think there will be too much difference between them in actual games other than maybe stuff like alpha blending operations but this is just speculation on my part.

I don't think I am going to talk about anything that isn't already out there before Microsoft and Sony officially reveal their consoles. I am looking forward to it.

Just another hint:

But here's the catch, lherre a developer under NDA says both consoles will be like PS3 & 360 of last gen.

So we are seriously still missing a huge chunk of Durango info. Which is strange since more info about Durango would be known after CES...

I wish someone would spill on those three custom blocks, lol.

gaming_noob

Just another hint:

I doubt it.

RIP Durango.

It's nice to finally have an article from a known website on all of these rumours.

I talked about most of this regarding Durango over the past year here - 8 cores at 1.6ghz, 8GB of slow ram, rough estimation of GPU, Win8 utilisation etc. The 3GB and 2 core dedicated to the OS is real. I guess you will just have to wait and see what they have in store.

Here's a couple things I have talked about before that weren't talked about in the article. Microsoft are encouraging 1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60fps to developers. I am not sure if they are trying to enforce this or not.

Approximately 1GB of RAM can be accessed per frame. Dunno if it was at 30fps or 60fps.

Not sure if this is actually new but I was informed that the cores in the Durango processor have their own FPUs rather than the 2 modules share one FPU that the older AMD processors were using. I haven't looked into whether this is something that is new with Jaguar processors though, so this might be nothing special.

I don't think I am going to talk about anything that isn't already out there before Microsoft and Sony officially reveal their consoles. I am looking forward to it.
Here comes a new challenger...?

I.e. is this insider info?

DieH@rd

Banned

1GB per 60fps game. DDR3 can be pushed to work at ~60GB/s transfer rate, PS4 will have ~3x faster memory.

Thanks for your info. Can you tell us how do you know all this?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Can anyone explain how those Jaguar cores compare to the Cell in performance?

Lower raw compute performance. Not a total slouch but the GPU is the big floating point performer.

But probably should be better for branchy code and be easier going on less optimised code.

B.O.O.M

Regarding the RAM difference between the two consoles I don't think there will be too much difference between them in actual games other than maybe stuff like alpha blending operations but this is just speculation on my part.

ok so in your opinion from what you know..how does the two consoles compare? No need to give any specifics or anything. Just a general idea on performance. Is it a wash?

Reiko

Banned
yea, it is. this isn't a wii situation anymore though, and it's brought itself closer to a PS2/Xbox situation which is far from scary.

Define scary.

924556_20050322_screen007.jpg

924556_20050322_screen008.jpg

921914_20050302_screen010.jpg

sc3_screen001.jpg

THE:MILKMAN

Just another hint:

Either the missing special sauce of Durango is revolutionary or...........I don't know. If we assume everything else balances out the only real difference so far is the 1.2TF vs 1.8TF.

That is the approx on paper difference between a HD7770 and HD7850.

The special sauce(s) we don't know about yet in Durango must be something else.....

Either the missing special sauce of Durango is revolutionary or...........I don't know. If we assume everything else balances out the only real difference so far is the 1.2TF vs 1.8TF.

That is the approx on paper difference between a HD7770 and HD7850.

The special sauce(s) we don't know about yet in Durango must be something else.....

Yeah, it's hard to believe. Must be ingenious if real.

Karak

Yeah, it's hard to believe. Must be ingenious if real.

If Andy is saying the 3gigs for the OS is real. I am going to go with him versus my source who I haven't talked to in a month.

He mentions the FPU for each core as one difference so I will have to go try to break down the improvement that would offer.

If this is the "same" Andy.

i-Lo

Just another hint:

We still don't know what Durango has for secret sauce to aid the GPU. Neither that nor the function of customized, "GPU like compute modules" in Orbis.

Pertaining to Durango's OS locking out 2 cores, could be security and Kinect related. Maybe one if not more cores of Jaguar in Orbis is locked out as well.

out of order

Thanks. Porting games back and forth based on CPU alone would be no more an issue among the three consoles.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not sure if this is actually new but I was informed that the cores in the Durango processor have their own FPUs rather than the 2 modules share one FPU that the older AMD processors were using.

Jaguars have their own FPU. It's a big improvement over bobcat, but not sure if bobcats were sharing fpu resources between cores before. Maybe that's a reference to another architecture.

Could that "compute" secret sauce thing in the article be helping with this?

Well, the vg leaks report mentioned custom hardware for audio, data decompression and video...things which would use SPU jobs on PS3. So that helps.

If there's a further 'compute module' per Eurogamer's suggestion, that too could help, sure. But as they say themselves, I'm not sure what the gain would be over devs just using GPGPU (asides, obviously, from sparing the GPU...). We'll see what that thing actually turns out to be. Maybe it's an amalgamation of the hardware vg leaks mentioned or maybe it is something less fixed function.

But with or without any of this stuff, Orbis would have plenty of fp compute in its GPU if devs want that. It's the best place for it to be since a lot of devs end up just using that on CPU for graphics related tasks anyway...

Dipswitch

1GB per 60fps game. DDR3 can be pushed to work at ~60GB/s transfer rate, PS4 will have ~3x faster memory.

Can someone explain what this means in practical terms? Is Durango only expected to effectively utilize 1GB of memory for VRAM? Or am I interpreting that incorrectly?

Spongebob

Banned
If Andy is saying the 3gigs for the OS is real. I am going to go with him versus my source who I haven't talked to in a month.

He mentions the FPU for each core as one difference so I will have to go try to break down the improvement that would offer.

If this is the "same" Andy.

Proelite is also saying that there is less than 3GB dedicated to the OS.

Karak

Proelite is also saying that there is less than 3GB dedicated to the OS.
...uh huh.

I am going with Andy. Though it goes against what my source said. If this is the same person(Andy) as before. I am going to assume the 2-3 rumors trump month old data.

i-Lo

Can someone explain what this means in practical terms? Is Durango only expected to effectively utilize 1GB of memory for VRAM? Or am I interpreting that incorrectly?

IIRC, information that goes into a creation of a single frame rendered for your viewing pleasure every 60th of a second is limited to around 1GB.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Can someone explain to me what I'm reading and why it's so powerful? I'm just curious, because I remember when the Wii U was hacked and there was an absolute shit storm over it's 1.2 Ghz clock speed, and suddenly the new systems from Sony and Microsoft are 1.6 and are super better? All I'm seeing is more RAM, which will of course smoke the Wii U's, but I'm not sure how everything else is going to result in performance that's so much better.

I'm just looking to be better educated.

Karak

Can someone explain to me what I'm reading and why it's so powerful? I'm just curious, because I remember when the Wii U was hacked and there was an absolute shit storm over it's 1.2 Ghz clock speed, and suddenly the new systems from Sony and Microsoft are 1.6 and are super better? All I'm seeing is more RAM, which will of course smoke the Wii U's, but I'm not sure how everything else is going to result in performance that's so much better.

More cores.
More efficiencies
Better ram
Better GPU's.

Jburton

Banned
yea, it is. this isn't a wii situation anymore though, and it's brought itself closer to a PS2/Xbox situation which is far from scary.

It's nowhere near a PS2/Xbox situation.

These specs clearly trounce the Wii U, the only difference this time is that the Wii U can output HD so it does not look like a dog on HDTV's.

Anyway, specs look good. ..... with a solid OS, good features and decent launch games and price ..... I'm in.

Looking forward to some official info on both PS4 and Durango.

Spongebob

Banned
...uh huh.

I am going with Andy. Though it goes against what my source said. If this is the same person(Andy) as before. I am going to assume the 2-3 rumors trump month old data.

Aegies is also saying that the 3GB figure is incorrect now and that the # of CPU cores is greater than 8.

King_Moc

Banned

Wii U is 1.2Ghz (was it not 1.6?) x 3, these are 1.6Ghz x 8.

Also, as it doesn't just boil down to pure speed, there will likely be other stuff in there that makes it more efficient.

Karak

Aegies is also saying that the 3GB figure is incorrect now and that the # of CPU cores is greater than 8.

I had it from the horses mouth than it was less as well. Don't get me wrong.

But things change. I am a person who questions even his own source. Too many other sources pointing at 3.

I will say this. I think its more likely now to be 3 than less. And that's even refuting my own source. I don't follow blindly but I am hearing even from others thay something has changed. I will find out more over this weekend and then make a conclusion.

Reiko

Banned
It's nowhere near a PS2/Xbox situation.

These specs clearly trounce the Wii U, the only difference this time is that the Wii U can output HD so it does not look like a dog on HDTV's.

Anyway, specs look good. ..... with a solid OS, good features and decent launch games and price ..... I'm in.

Looking forward to some official info on both PS4 and Durango.

The difference between PS2 & Xbox had nothing to do with resolution. Both consoles could do 480p and HD.

Top Bottom