• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How much ram does a DVR require when recording shows? I am wondering if MS will make an attempt at being a cable/satelite box replacement or something assuming 3 GB is correct. That is basically a full OS for someone else to be using while the game is being played.

Ps3 does it now. 50MB for the OS

Latest TiVo box uses 512MB.

VanWinkle

Honestly, I would like nothing more than your supposition to be true. Then the only franchise I would be interested in would be Halo and at that point, I guess I'd buying one for media functionality.

Granted, I'm not saying it will be definitively one way or the other; just that they are likely to be much closer in the coming gen since they will both have PC architecture, instead of PS3's exotic CPU. The ideal situation is that both Durango and Orbits multiplatform titles will be identical.

Alej

Banned
I can see two flaws in your argument:

1) Why would you still have a 2006 PC? Upgrades are so cheap, you could upgrade to a GPU that kicks every console's ass for the price of a couple of games. Money you probably already saved by buying cheaper PC games instead of their more expensive console versions. The only reason to still have 2006-era hardware would be... well honestly I can't think of a single reason.

2) Back then consoles had a lot of specialized hardware, so porting was more difficult and it had a performance penalty. These new consoles are x86 AMD CPUs and GPUs, it's reasonable to assume that porting will be much easier and much less expensive in terms of performance.

Thinking like you, i would have missed Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, the entire Uncharted series, Tales of Vesperia, Heavy Rain (for the sake of it), God Of War 3, Killzone 2 (yeah Killzone 2, ultimate ONLINE FPS experience this gen), Dragon's Dogma, and plenty others... then, i would have to wait 2012 to play a proper FIFA...

Oh, the nightmare.

pestul

Aren't 7970s still really expensive? I mean and that's just the GPU.

To buy on Newegg maybe. I'm sure AMD is sweetening the deal for both MS and Sony. They're probably getting the GPUs for like $80-100/ea tops.

EDIT: And as AgentP so astutely pointed out above, the GDDR5 on the desktop variants adds a lot to the cost. That does raise an interesting point though. I wonder what the cost variance is between Sony's expensive 4GB GDDR5 and MS' cheap 8GB DD3 + eSRam..

i-Lo

Does anyone know how they were able to leak so much info without any repercussion?

I spent my hard earned on my vaccum unit recently. I wouldn't get offended if someone made fun of it online.

OT: Insulting people's belongings into which people have put their thought and money can make the person feel like you're insulting them by questioning the validity for their choice. If you are immune to this then great for you. If I had spent hours going through reviews, looking at charts and doing proper research then proceeded to buy the best vacuum cleaner for $350 only for it be called a piece of crap by some stranger as if they knew what they're talking about would be resentful.

I am not going to buy a WiiU, ever. And I love the WiiU memes. But when I see someone getting heated about having their choices mocked, I can understand why. Of course, that's about it.

Also, what vacuum cleaner did you buy? Mine's about to die and I need a sturdy replacement soon.

2San

To buy on Newegg maybe. I'm sure AMD is sweetening the deal for both MS and Sony. They're probably getting the GPUs for like $80-100/ea tops.

EDIT: And as AgentP so astutely pointed out above, the GDDR5 on the desktop variants adds a lot to the cost.
No, just no. It's a 7970M.

The 7970M is a binned desktop HD7870, and we're not even certain that's the GPU they're using.
He has the right idea.

thuway

The 7970M is a binned desktop HD7870, and we're not even certain that's the GPU they're using.

I hate when people say this. The part is totally modified. It will be similar in some ways, but drastically different in others. No one but Sony knows how different, but I would suspect the card is spec'd so deferred rendering and 60 FPS can truly shine.

Imagine buying a Civic, and putting on twin turbos - its not so much a Civic anymore now is it.

A.R.K

Let's also hope that Sony will run the OS on a separate ARM processor thus having all 8 cores available for games. I'd also pay the extra $ for it.

yes yes me too :)

What do you guys think Sony is adding to PS4 to handle 4K? They must be doing something for 4K on PS4 since they are ones pushing for it just like they did for bluray. Would they do it for movies only? Or maybe PS4 has that special sauce to give us some 4K gaming at 30fps for some games later on? I can't believe they will not have a 4K logo on the PS4 box. I am just curious.

Is there a reason people are thinking this will be prohibitively costly based on these specs? I'm relatively lay in this regard, but I can't see what would drive the cost up to ridiculous levels. The RAM?
AMD is making the parts for both, and last year's rumors favored Durango.
Technically don't they contract AMD for the design and then they can have them made wherever they want. Also which rumor is this. I'm not sure a rumor a year ago should be given more weight than seemingly multiple corroborating information now.

Darryl

Banned
Meh, it's not that funny. It seems to be a trend to quote every flame on Wii U a billion times, in lots of different threads. I don't see what it adds tbh other than childish schadenfreude. But let's carry on discussing ps4.

these specs are far from the system destroyers that people were hoping for, so i don't get where the funny is in the image at all either. this should be a happy wii u.

According to these specs, there are huge differences between PS4 and PS3 for instance... literally 10x bump in specs. So....

I dont really care what resolution it is, it will mean that every game can easily look a lot better than Uncharted 3, GoW 3 or KZ2.

It means GT5's photomode can easily run real races on PS4... etc, etc.

I bet it will be more than $400.

PS4 may have an edge over Xbox720 at 1080p due to the higher bandwidth though. Also, having a lighter OS and thus more CPU cores available for games may give another advantage to the PS4.

Petrichor

I find it funny that in a thread about a new console. a picture mocking another console comes back multiple times every page. What does that say about some people here.

I remember a similar picture involving the PSP and the DS circulating GAF prior to either console's release as well... funny how that turned out.

rdrr gnr

The information is already out there all over the web. The original VG Leaks document is 90% correct.
Maybe -- maybe not. If that 10% happens to be what GPU they are using -- I'd say that 10% is a lot more important than it appears.

Meh, it's not that funny. It seems to be a trend to quote every flame on Wii U a billion times, in lots of different threads. I don't see what it adds tbh other than childish schadenfreude. But let's carry on discussing ps4.
You do this in every thread? Get over it.
OT: Insulting people's belongings into which people have put their thought and money can make the person feel like you're insulting them by questioning the validity for their choice. If you are immune to this then great for you. If I had spent hours going through reviews, looking at charts and doing proper research then proceeded to buy the best vacuum cleaner for $350 only for it be called a piece of crap by some stranger as if they knew what they're talking about would be resentful.

I am not going to buy a WiiU, ever. And I love the WiiU memes. But when I see someone getting heated about having their choices mocked, I can understand why. Of course, that's about it.

Also, what vacuum cleaner did you buy? Mine's about to die and I need a sturdy replacement soon.
OT Response: The term is called ego-involvement (as far as the social sciences are concerned). One can sympathize with such a position but one has no responsibility to alter posts or thoughts for the sake of preventing offense. Though, to note, not every joke is a canard.

Most of these rumors we knew already the only thing new is Orbis having a extra chip to help out with things .
Plus things seem to be wrong with the rumors on both sides so back to waiting i go .

sTeLioSco

Banned
I hate when people say this. The part is totally modified. It will be similar in some ways, but drastically different in others. No one but Sony knows how different, but I would suspect the card is spec'd so deferred rendering and 60 FPS can truly shine.

Imagine buying a Civic, and putting on twin turbos - its not so much a Civic anymore now is it.

those that say that durango will be stronger know.probably.

King_Moc

Banned
But with PC, there isn't just a cost of entry. There's the cost of upgrades. Sure, consoles from 2006 can't keep up with today's PCs, but I don't feel like my gaming experience has been limited in any way, and I only had to pay the [relatively] low cost of entry.

Upgrading isn't as necessary as people make out, as long as the first build was decent enough. Though you'd probaly want to do at least one upgrade across a console cycle.

Do you sell many games? If you don't, then the price gap is actually much, much closer than you'd expect. Most PC games can be picked up at launch for around half the price of the console version, and the direct download sales are insane. Games that are only are year old are often seen for around £5.

I'v e been playing console games today, and the loss of frames (not just from 30FPS, but deropping below that too), blurry textures and jaggies really stand out for me. It just feels like playing a PS2 would have felt like after the 360 and PS3 came out to me.

My argument is to say that you invest $500 in a console and you're set for a good seven years with the latest games and graphics that keep improving. You can't do that on PC.

Sure you can, it's just a slightly different business model. Instead of "razor and razorblades" it's "a bit more expensive razor with cheaper razorblades". And graphics do keep improving, a 2012 PC title is much better than a 2006 one.

velociraptor

According to these specs, there are huge differences between PS4 and PS3 for instance... literally 10x bump in specs. So....

I dont really care what resolution it is, it will mean that every game can easily look a lot better than Uncharted 3, GoW 3 or KZ2.

I think playing games in 1080p itself will provide a huge improvement in graphics.

The difference between PC and console games is literally day and night.

I hope 1080p is standard.

Way too expensive.

£350 would be my upper limit. Anything above would be INSANE.

I think that there is going to be some surprise with regards to post-launch sales; I'm sure supply will be tight enough to ensure at least one essentially 'sells-out' but the 360/PS3 have really gained a lot of traction over the last three years. They weren't world class sprinters.

thuway

those that say that durango will be stronger know.probably.

As far as I know, no one has ever suggested Microsoft has more compute power than Sony. The overall impression from armchair analysts is Microsoft will use three custom blocks of silicon to offload tasks and make the life of the GPU / RAM easier.

The hardcore facts for Durango are:

1.2 TF
8 GB DDR3 32 mb ES RAM
8 Core Jaguar

Now all we need is Aurthur's article to put the pieces so the world doesn't think this is bullshit.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

i can just imagine the scene when some sony exec waddles down to AMD's labs and scribbles on a whiteboard his revolutionary idea that a high end graphics processing chip should possess an enhanced capability for rendering shaders quickly. maybe they can optimise some of those devoted scrotum tessellation pipelines that are going to waste.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

And maybe reality still does, who knows? I think there won't be very much between them, most likely. But last year's information was quite different. Last year we were talking about 2GB PS4s, exotic Durango CPUs, and different PS4 CPU plans to boot. But it would appear things have hashed around a little bit.

i-Lo

The information is already out there all over the web. The original VG Leaks document is 90% correct.

That maybe, but I am just surprised this article being put up now before any official word by Sony.

Also, I'd assume these specs, may now, finally remedy Aegeis's statement about Sony "not inspiring confidence" among third parties.

Orayn

Sorry, my main point was that it wouldn't have a desktop HD7970. I'm dubious about the supposed identification of the GPU as well and I agree that they're probably not using an off-the-shelf chip at all.

JB1981

So I am behind on this conversation and have a question. Why are people comparing the specs of PS4 and 720. Do we now know for certain what the specs of 720 are? If so, how do we know this? Thanks

Spongebob

Banned

I doubt it.

these specs are far from the system destroyers that people were hoping for, so i don't get where the funny is in the image at all either. this should be a happy wii u.
At a minimum there's a gulf in terms of RAM.
3.5GB GDDR5 or 6.5GB faster DDR3 vs 1GB of the slowest DDR3 one can find iirc.
To what extent would games built towards these amounts and bandwidths need to be culled?

In terms of pure GPU floating point performance, we're looking at like 4-5x for PS4 and 2-3x for XBX3.

I'm not sure how 8 Jaguar cores clocked at 1.6GHz compares to a three-core enhanced Broadway.

VanWinkle

Sure you can, it's just a slightly different business model. Instead of "razor and razorblades" it's "a bit more expensive razor with cheaper razorblades". And graphics do keep improving, a 2012 PC title is much better than a 2006 one.

But on 2006 hardware that cost $500? I mean honestly I would like to see that or hear from somebody who's in that situation about how today's games run on it but there's probably hardly anyone out there in that situation. In your razorblade analogy, yes, PS3 would be a cheaper razor but a little more expensive razorblades. But PC would be a more expensive razor with cheaper razorblades, but you also need to buy a new handle every couple of years.

They are actually quite good specs compared to what was assumed a year or more ago.

Especially the Ram differences are immensely higher than what was thought realistic then and so much so that the chances of ports of games built for theses systems coming to the WiiU is very small I would imagine.

DieH@rd

Banned
Probably been asked... but if this was a PC, what would the hardware roughly look like?

It will not look like PC. Sony will take a motherboard and insert everything into it. Final design will in the ballpark of the [first] PS3 Slim, possibly even smaller.

edit - i've misread the question

Pistolero

As far as I know, no one has ever suggested Microsoft has more compute power than Sony. The overall impression from armchair analysts is Microsoft will use three custom blocks of silicon to offload tasks and make the life of the GPU / RAM easier.

The hardcore facts for Durango are:

1.2 TF
8 GB DDR3 32 mb ES RAM
8 Core Jaguar

Now all we need is Aurthur's article to put the pieces so the world doesn't think this is bullshit.

Has Arthur hinted at a coming Durano article or is it an expectation based on the leaks tide?

The rumors never favored Durango, there was simply nothing concrete about the PS4 at tre time.

Proelite, who's been spot on with his predictions, is one of a bunch of forumers who hold that view. I have no reason to doubt his stance...

Elios83

They favoured one system based on nothing, just having more 'faith' (citing Kotaku's words :D) in one company compared to the other.
Same situation with people assuming that Sony wouldn't be able to launch in 2013....just personal feelings based on personal views on the companies involved, no facts.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fun fact:

If I wanted to upgrade my gaming laptop with a 7970M right now, the card would cost me $480.

Varna

What you'd get out of a PC with these specs is really very different to what a console will yield, so I think that attempting a direct comparison would be on the spurious side.

I understand that. I'm just curious. I did except them to go somewhat cheap but from the looks of the thread they didn't.

VanWinkle

Upgrading isn't as necessary as people make out, as long as the first build was decent enough. Though you'd probaly want to do at least one upgrade across a console cycle.

Do you sell many games? If you don't, then the price gap is actually much, much closer than you'd expect. Most PC games can be picked up at launch for around half the price of the console version, and the direct download sales are insane. Games that are only are year old are often seen for around £5.

I'v e been playing console games today, and the loss of frames (not just from 30FPS, but deropping below that too), blurry textures and jaggies really stand out for me. It just feels like playing a PS2 would have felt like after the 360 and PS3 came out to me.

Fair points. You just have a different mindset about it. And honestly I would hate to feel like I can't play a current gen platform without feeling like I'm taking an enormous step back. That's a whole other point entirely, but for you to feel like a game like Uncharted 3 is a huge step back, you must have spent a great deal on your PC and/or got it pretty darn recently.

Top Bottom