• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

That's nothing new, the PS3 GPU was basically an Nvidia 7800 and the 360 GPU was similar to the ATI X1800.
the 360 gpu has no desktop equivalent. It has the performance of a x1900, but it was ATI's first generation of a unified shader architecture which was first seen on the 2900 XT that released 18 months after the 360. It has more in common with the 2900xt architecturally.

BibiMaghoo

Sigh. WHY.

Because PC heads are adamant that a new console will not match PC performance.

No one seems to consider that a console can achieve more with less powerfull hardware than a PC, as it doesn't have the same overheads, and software is coded to specific hardware.

Or they ignore it :p

EDIT: Just to clarify, I own a PC that on paper destroys a PS3. Yet, the PS3 still has games with more impressive visuals than anything I can run on it.

the 360 gpu has no desktop equivalent. It has the performance of a x1900, but it was ATI's first generation of a unified shader architecture which was first seen on the 2900 XT that released 18 months after the 360. It has more in common with the 2900xt architecturally.

One of the reasons why these rumors for Durango seem so underwhelming.

I wanted to see MS pull something like that again.

meta4

No one seems to consider that a console can achieve more with less powerfull hardware than a PC, as it doesn't have the same overheads, and software is coded to specific hardware.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I own a PC that on paper destroys a PS3. Yet, the PS3 still has games with more impressive visuals than anything I can run on it.

He is not a PC Head. He is just a delusional xbox console warrior.

KageMaru

One of the reasons why these rumors for Durango seem so underwhelming.

I wanted to see MS pull something like that again.

Well that whole thing was rather convenient for MS in the first place. They were developing the DX10 API, AMD already had some experience with unified shaders with the R400 development, and so they had a good starting point for the design.

Not saying either company couldn't do something similar again. PC GPUs are design around current standards with the API, so it doesn't make much sense to try anything radically different with the architecture if it won't be properly utilized. Console manufacturers don't really have this issue since they are restricted to a specific API and could experiment with new features yet seen in PC GPUs.

I imagine cost would always be a factor here though.

I am confused as to what reality you have been living in because it's not the one I'm in.
In what reality can you continue to act all superior that the fact that the PC can run max settings on a GPU thats 2+ years old?

Try and play a game on a 5 year old or even 10 year old GPU and see what happens.

With consoles you are guaranteed to be able to run games for the full life of the console.

Not much unfortunately

Nooooo. I've got some word from some folks at DF, but nothing much since they are pretty tight lipped about things until they announce it.

So how will they "match the performance" of Durango's RAM setup? Orbis already has the advantage when not paying attention to additional ESRAM.

Some people think they "matched it" by going from 2 to 4. Not that they meant matching it by going from 4 to 8.

SummitAve

Banned
In what reality can you continue to act all superior that the fact that the PC can run max settings on a GPU thats 2+ years old?

Try and play a game on a 5 year old or even 10 year old GPU and see what happens.

With consoles you are guaranteed to be able to run games for the full life of the console.

With how often consoles broke down this generation, I don't think this argument holds up.

5 years is certainly doable. There are AMD Radeon 4xxx HD users on this forum surely playing modern games, probably even some 8800 GTX users as well.

With how often consoles broke down this generation, I don't think this argument holds up.
I suppose so, but this elitist attitude that PC owners have (my primary gaming device is my PC) is pretty annoying. You would have to upgrade your PC at least twice in 10 years to be able to play the latest games, £150 CPU, £50 Motherboard, £30 RAM, £200+ GPU each time.

spwolf

Basically the data is streamed off the hard drive or disc in a compressed format, with Zlib hardware its decompressed very fast, allowing more data to be streamed quicker.
(just my take on it)

if he was thinking in game, then sure, it will be running from wherever. it will speed up both HDD and BD access times.

Sony is already going with a beefier GPU and 4GB of GDDR5.

People wanting more must want Sony to break the bank. They are already going to provide the most powerful console in the market.

shandy706

5 years is certainly doable. There are AMD Radeon 4xxx HD users on this forum surely playing modern games, probably even some 8800 GTX users as well.

Haha, those people can't say anything about PC gaming being better though. They're practically playing at console levels. (I know plenty that do pretend it's great and they have crappy hardware...makes no sense...lol)

I'm a PC gamer. I play Skyrim with 4k texture packs, a few mods, @1080p, on my 46" HDTV...and I'm still buying next gen consoles...:shrug:

Haha, those people can't say anything about PC gaming being better though. They're practically playing at console levels. (I know plenty that do pretend it's great and they have crappy hardware...makes no sense...lol)

I'm a PC gamer. I play Skyrim with 4k texture packs, a few mods, @1080p, on my 46" HDTV...and I'm still buying next gen consoles...:shrug:

Congratulations but if targeting low to mid specs at 720p is acceptable for consoles, why not for someone who is holding on to their graphics card for 5+ years? There is more to PC gaming that sets it apart from closed systems than just better graphics and framerates.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
i want to know if sony somehow figured out a way to keep that uma 4GB GDDR5 specific to games only and have some other solution to their os process.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yeah but im not at liberty to say anything. Its looking really good though
ax14KAh.gif

Yeaaa buddy!

shandy706

Congratulations but if targeting low to mid specs at 720p is acceptable for consoles, why not for someone who is holding on to their graphics card for 5+ years?

Oh, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. More power to them. I was perfectly happy with a Quad Core AMD CPU and a 260 GTX not long ago. I just moved to a liquid cooled i7 and a 600 series card at the end of last year.

Those people just can't say that PC gaming is superior...in their case...it technically isn't. You can certainly draw out PC gaming just as long though. Don't worry, I'm not arguing with that...I played on a 8600 GT fooooooooorever.

It's all in the eye of the beholder anyway :).

on the ten year thing.. The ps3 is six years old now and about to be replaced as it's well behind high end pc's now so where does this ten year thing come from?

Are people just talking about graphics when comparing PD and Turn10?

I don't think people here should dog on Turn10, from what I see they can't compete visually but they seem to be really good at putting more games out, all of them on a quality comparable to GT.

I don't know what's better between those 2 qualities, I don't like racing sims.

Reiko

Banned
Are people just talking about graphics when comparing PD and Turn10?

I don't think people here should dog on Turn10, from what I see they can't compete visually but they seem to be really good at putting more games out, all of them on a quality comparable to GT.

I don't know what's better between those 2 qualities, I don't like racing sims.

After playing Forza 4 you really believe that?

I won't be surprised if the PS4 is able to give PCs a run for their money in the early days for the reasons you mentioned. However, if at this point the PS3 has games with more impressive visuals than what you can run on your PC, it's seriously time to upgrade that PC.

Shambles

First off we're just coming out of the most pathetic generation of console hardware that this industry has ever seen. Your argument about longevity is in fact the complete reverse of what you are saying. Both the 360 and the PS3 had excessively high failure rates. You were lucky to get 2 years out of a console back then, a PC has been a far better choice in this regard.

Your second assumption is that if you can't play a game with max settings you can't play it at all which is obviously bullshit and you're simply moving the goal posts back for the consoles since closed hardware does not allow for technological progress.

The more you look at it the more you see that as far as longevity goes a PC is a far better investment especially since the pricing delta between the two when the new consoles hit will be a fraction of what it once was. Given the failure rates of the last batch of consoles it may even be cheaper to buy a PC if you have to end up replacing a unit. Given, we won't be able to tell until they've been out for a couple years but their track record is counting against them.

And the only people saying you're going to play the same console for 10 years belong to the manufacturers marketing departments.

Nooooo. I've got some word from some folks at DF, but nothing much since they are pretty tight lipped about things until they announce it.

Some people think they "matched it" by going from 2 to 4. Not that they meant matching it by going from 4 to 8.

But in the Edge article they said it was already at 4GB and that Sony was looking to match the performance of MS's 8GB. In what other way can they match it? It's already faster. Soooo?.......

The talk of going from 2 to 4 already happened.

Top Bottom