• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | March 2013 | Carving an Independent niche

*impressions*

I wouldn't trust my word though, I'm pretty easy to please as long as the game in question falls into a genre I really like. I can't claim to be objective in any way and I often enjoy mediocre games. I'm always hesitant to recommend games because of that.

Cheers mate. No, I think we're quite similar in that regard. I'm in the same boat with recommendations now. In any case, I *think* I'm pretty sold on the idea. My dream would be for something like Mad Riders to come to Vita, but for the time being, I'll take a more reserved Motorcross game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Cheers mate. No, I think we're quite similar in that regard. I'm in the same boat with recommendations now. In any case, I *think* I'm pretty sold on the idea. My dream would be for something like Mad Riders to come to Vita, but for the time being, I'll take a more reserved Motorcross game.

I'd appreciate more impressions with people like me who are a bit less lenient in mind :p
And what is the size of the game? Does it run native res?

SmokyDave

I'd appreciate more impressions with people like me who are a bit less lenient in mind :p
And what is the size of the game? Does it run native res?

It's 581mb. I have no idea whether it's native res or not. It looks OK, at best. Nothing special but not so ugly as to make me gouge my eyes out.

I just checked out the PocketGamer review you mentioned and they seem to hate what I expected them to hate, namely the fact that you need to 'fight' to keep the bike under control. They also seemed to dislike the 'scrubbing' concept as it upsets the bike and can often lead to a wipeout (as I said though, it's classic risk / reward once you get good at it). I don't think the reviewer was terribly good at the game, as they described the stunt events as 'extremely difficult' and unless they get significantly harder later in the game, I can't see that being true. The key is to keep up a good rhythm and never fall off, then they're fairly easy.

Having said all that, I can definitely see where the reviewer is coming from. If you weren't invested in MX at all and just wanted a fun arcade racer, this is definitely not the game. If you wanted a full-on accurate MX simulation, this is not the game. I don't know who this game is for, to be honest.

Having said all that, I can definitely see where the reviewer is coming from. If you weren't invested in MX at all and just wanted a fun arcade racer, this is definitely not the game. If you wanted a full-on accurate MX simulation, this is not the game. I don't know who this game is for, to be honest.

Sounds a little bit like Motocross Madness to me - and I loved it back it the day.
I found this review of MUD which seems quite positive if you're a fan of the genre:

http://thevitalounge.com/review/mud-fim-motocross-world-championship/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Train, train, train. Its just a matter of relearning the controls, because you need to brake way earlier and braking while steering is even more dangerous. Maybe look at a yt video to see how they should be played.

Maybe that's my problem - I've been ignoring the brakes and just letting off the accelerator. I'll try the playground for a bit to see if I can't start to feel that car out.

For the record, I feel bad for not buying this game sooner because holy shit. <3

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Maybe that's my problem - I've been ignoring the brakes and just letting off the accelerator. I'll try the playground for a bit to see if I can't start to feel that car out.

For the record, I feel bad for not buying this game sooner because holy shit. <3
As I am saying all the time. Crazily underappreciated game, with tons of content and perfect controls.

Dec

The only car I needed to break with is the Super car on very specific levels (a jump into a turn). I actually rebinded the acceleration to X.

Pretty much played it like any racing game, slow into turns and fast out of them. Speed isn't as important as a clean lap.

Toma

The only car I needed to break with is the Super car on very specific levels (a jump into a turn). I actually rebinded the acceleration to X.

Pretty much played it like any racing game, slow into turns and fast out of them. Speed isn't as important as a clean lap.
Yeah, at least If you just go for gold. If you try to beat leader board scores, the game changes drastically. Braking at the right time, especially for perfectly timed drift positions during jumps to overcome curves more efficiently is in a whole other ball game for example. The more competitive you are, the better this game gets, since more depth to the driving system shows itself.

breakfuss

So PvZ is pretty addicting...

Playing through it for the first time ever. Well I tried it on PS3, but it's much better on Vita.

Yeah, I actually enjoy it most in its mobile form, but it does provide excellent multiplayer (both co-op and competitive) on the PS3, something you obviously can't do on the aforementioned.

Dec

Yeah, at least If you just go for gold. If you try to beat leader board scores, the game changes drastically. Braking at the right time, especially for perfectly timed drift positions during jumps to overcome curves more efficiently is in a whole other ball game for example. The more competitive you are, the better this game gets, since more depth to the driving system shows itself.

While competitive, that's not really what I was aiming to get from the game. I don't have any friends playing it, and I didn't find the controls awesome. Rather spend my competitive time in dota really.

wilflare

Motorstorm is one of the Best DD games on the store and basically a must if you are into highscore gaming.
Life of Pixel is cute, but nothing substantial. If you just feel like listening to cute chiptunes through different gaming eras and some challenging platforming (with some design drawbacks like blind jumps to death), Life of Pixel is worth it.
And get Sound Shapes if you like 2 of the following 3: Music, Music integration in games, If you want to see a game that even Toto likes.

Thanks! Guess I should really get MotorStorm RC Complete then. Hope the Store is still available by the time I get home (in the next hour or so).

I had the impression that Sound Shapes is similar to DJ Max or something like that (or is it more LittleBig-ish?)

I'm kinda keen on Unit 13 and Escape Plan too (but seeing them being offered on Asia PS+ make me bit hesitant)

The other option is to put all these aside and go for Persona 4 Golden!

Hoping for an EDF discount!

Any Vitabros extending their PS+ subscription beyond 2015?

(Btw I've been playing Final Fantasy IV. Boy the story is depressing and the rate of battle encounter is super annoying)

Toma

Thanks! Guess I should really get MotorStorm RC Complete then. Hope the Store is still available by the time I get home (in the next hour or so).

I had the impression that Sound Shapes is similar to DJ Max or something like that (or is it more LittleBig-ish?)

I'm kinda keen on Unit 13 and Escape Plan too (but seeing them being offered on Asia PS+ make me bit hesitant)

(Btw I've been playing Final Fantasy IV. Boy the story is depressing and the rate of battle encounter is super annoying)

Man, as much as I love Motorstorm and SS, P4 is an amazing game that's hard not to recommend. If you havent played P4 yet, but you love RPGs or even P3, p4 should be your highest priority. However it's not all that likely that SS gets a deal like this anytime soon, you might still want to grab it. And it's more liTtle big planet platforming wit an awesome music integration and a never ending community level support through the editor.

Toma

what do you mean by that? Shitty Ping in other regions?
Why so low?
Almost all the cross region games have lag. And P5 won't be Vita. Remote play via PS3 yes, P5Golden Rerelease maybe, but P5 launch won't be on Vita.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Denzel, I'm not joking or making fun, but are you twelve?
The way you post and write just makes me think the way.

Anyway, P5 has no chance on Vita.

Has anyone experienced this before?

When switching to my Japanese PSN account to play Phantasy Star Online 2, my battery is incorrectly polling itself. It will show 50%+, a minute later I will get a battery warning saying it's low. Checking the icon will show it is indeed red. After a few minutes, I'll get another warning, and another.

It appears my battery returning false information. My battery will indeed be around 50%, but the system keeps changing it's mind. It goes from green, to red, to green, to red, and so on. I've watched the icon visually do this as well.

I tried a hard reset, rebuild data base, different USB cable, etc. Have no idea why.

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the best games ever made. I am playing it for the third time on my Vita and loving it!! The slowdown sucks though! >_<

Sound Shapes would be more like LBP in that they're both side scrolling platformers, get this game, You can touch the people.

Oh and I'm subbed til sept 2015.

VanWinkle

No no no its not rhythm based, although the odd jump here and there may benefit you of you know the rhythm of your enemies. Its a plat former, like LBP, but its not really like LBP.

breakfuss

I know everyone here isn't from the US, so sorry if this is superfluous information! For those with a Sony Store in your city, they're holding a massive clearance sale on vita games. The store in my area is actually shutting down at the end of the month, so that may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Shame, too, because I didn't even know Sony retail stores existed before now. Ahhh, Sony, Sony...I'll never understand your ways (and lack of marketing). Few examples of vita prices:

Touch my Katamari - 4.97
Smart As - 9.97
Virtua Tennis - 9.97
Dynasty Warriors - 9.97
Ben 10 - 9.97
Blazblue - 9.97
Shinobido 2 - 9.97
Ninja Garden - 9.97
Lumines - 9.97
Hot Shots - 9.97
Rayman Origins - 14.97
Modnation - 14.97
Gravity Rush - 14.97
Mortal Kombat - 14.97

zZZOcj8.jpg

yay finally

I know everyone here isn't from the US, so sorry if this is superfluous information! For those with a Sony Store in your city, they're holding a massive clearance sale on vita games. The store in my area is actually shutting down at the end of the month, so that may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Shame, too, because I didn't even know Sony retail stores existed before now. Ahhh, Sony, Sony...I'll never understand your ways (and lack of marketing). Few examples of vita prices:

Touch my Katamari - 4.97
Smart As - 9.97
Virtua Tennis - 9.97
Dynasty Warriors - 9.97
Ben 10 - 9.97
Blazblue - 9.97
Shinobido 2 - 9.97
Ninja Garden - 9.97
Lumines - 9.97
Hot Shots - 9.97
Rayman Origins - 14.97
Modnation - 14.97
Gravity Rush - 14.97
Mortal Kombat - 14.97

Are these available online? All I have near me is a Sony Outlet.

anddo0

PS Vita Anniversary Week 2 Deals

Here are the free games we&#8217;re giving away for PS Vita:

Wild Arms (PS one Classic)
Patapon (PSP)
Piyotama (PSP)
Patchwork Heroes (PSP)

Here are the PS Vita games that are on sale for a 30% discount. If you&#8217;re a PlayStation Plus member, you&#8217;ll get 50% off:

Army Corps of Hell
Big Sky: Infinity
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Dokuro
DYNASTY WARRIORS NEXT
Knytt Underground
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes French
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
LEGO Lord of the Rings
Orgarhythm
Pure Chess
Retro City Rampage
Sine Mora (with Trial)
Spy Hunter
Street Fighter X Tekken
Sumioni: Demon Arts
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

We also added a few more games to the sale, with the following discounts as noted:

FIFA Soccer 13 (30% off)
Madden NFL 13 (30% off)
Oddworld Strangers Wrath (25% off) (New patch details here)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...ary-deals-this-week-including-new-free-games/

So more sales in NA this week!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...ary-deals-this-week-including-new-free-games/

To continue the celebration this week, we’re pleased to offer a special gift for PS Vita owners—by giving away four classic games for free exclusively in the PlayStation Vita Store! In addition, you’ll also find a brand new set of downloadable PS Vita games on sale at a great discount. The promotion starts tomorrow and runs through March 11th.

Here are the free games we’re giving away for PS Vita:

Wild Arms (PS one Classic)
Patapon (PSP)
Piyotama (PSP)
Patchwork Heroes (PSP)

Here are the PS Vita games that are on sale for a 30% discount. If you’re a PlayStation Plus member, you’ll get 50% off:

Army Corps of Hell
Big Sky: Infinity
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Dokuro
DYNASTY WARRIORS NEXT
Knytt Underground
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes French
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
LEGO Lord of the Rings
Orgarhythm
Pure Chess
Retro City Rampage
Sine Mora (with Trial)
Spy Hunter
Street Fighter X Tekken
Sumioni: Demon Arts
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

We also added a few more games to the sale, with the following discounts as noted:

FIFA Soccer 13 (30% off)
Madden NFL 13 (30% off)
Oddworld Strangers Wrath (25% off) (New patch details here)

FrankCaron

Anyone have any impressions on Sumioni: Demon Arts or Army Corps of Hell? I'm thinking about picking up one or both of those if VitaGAF says jump.

Toma

Anyone have any impressions on Sumioni: Demon Arts or Army Corps of Hell? I'm thinking about picking up one or both of those if VitaGAF says jump.
Don't move.

anddo0

Sumioni: Demon Arts: I don't own it.. Most say it's decent but feels like a shovelware game.

Army Corps of Hell: great game for that price. A bit repetitive though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Free Wild ARMs, Patapon, and Patchwork Heroes? Like free for everyone?

Top Bottom