• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crisis Core FF7 TGS trailer

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
who cares about the story, FF7 Crisis Core = end of all system wars

PSP wins

People have been waiting for a 3D FF7 remake ever since the original came out.
It's going to be PSX vs. N64 all over again with the releases of FF7:CC
Millions of people in Japan will buy a PSP just for for it.

ethelred

FTWer said:

PSP wins

zoukka said:
People trying to be funny :lol

FTWer said:

PSP wins

I see an upcoming PSP/Crisis Core bundle in the future...

Beezy

FTWer said:

PSP wins

Quoted for future ownage.

Amir0x

Banned
FTWer said:

PSP wins

man Dirge of Cerberus sold, what, 500,000 in Japan and i bet half of that was returned within a week

even IF the Crisis Core did exactly as well as DoC in Japan, it would not be enough to end system wars.

Not unless Japan stopped their horrific love affair with shitty virtual pets and non-games. Or unless FF7:CC turned into a dress up/collectathon sim.

Jenga

Banned
Amir0x said:
man Dirge of Cerberus sold, what, 500,000 in Japan and i bet half of that was returned within a week

even IF the Crisis Core did exactly as well as DoC in Japan, it would not be enough to end system wars.

Not unless Japan stopped their horrific love affair with shitty virtual pets and non-games. Or unless FF7:CC turned into a dress up/collectathon sim.
Yeah...if I'm remembering it correctly, DoC was like #1 and dropped off almost completely from the charts the next week in Japan. And what were the AC movie sales numbers in America?

Surreal

Amir0x said:

It does have Gackt...

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Amir0x said:

Dirge Of Cerberus = crappy half assed 3rd person shooter of a PS2 port, which sold insanely well just based off the FF7

CC = RPG sequel/prequel to the mot popular game in one of the most popular series with graphics better then anything on the PSP

5 million sold in Japan confirmed

Ganondorfo

Where is cloud strife, he is the most popular guy from final fantasy 7, or didn't he exist in that time period.

I know that final fantasy 7 had kinda a "fight club ending" story:lol

Amir0x said:

Because Mario and Pokemon are now non-games and virtual pets.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Ganondorfo said:
Where is cloud strife, he is the most popular guy from final fantasy 7, or didn't he exist in that time period.
You see the part of the trailer in which a group of soldiers are aligned in front of Zack, and Zack puts his hand over the shoulder of one of the soldiers? that soldier is Cloud.

I think the demographics of Japan's gamers has changed a lot in the last 10 years. A lot of people who bought FF7 are probably in their 30s or 40s, and a lot of them are either out of traditional gaming, or their reflexes are too slow to play an action RPG, and that group hasn't really been replaced by younger kids, since the birth rate is so low there now.

I think it will sell well for a PSP game in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't outsell Monster Hunter. If you look at the sales of big name contempory series to FF7 on the PS1 (Ace Combat, Tekken, Hot Shots Golf, etc, etc, etc) and how new versions (not just ports) have done on the PSP, the sales are about 1/5 to 1/7 as much as the PS1 versions.

So since FF7 sold what, 3.2 million on Japan, I think CC will sell from 450,00 to 800,000 copies. Not bad by any means, but might not even top the charts when it comes out.

ethelred

trancejeremy said:
So since FF7 sold what, 3.2 million on Japan, I think CC will sell from 450,00 to 800,000 copies. Not bad by any means, but might not even top the charts when it comes out.

Ehh... given the situation the system is in right now, I see those numbers as quite a bit optimistic. It certainly won't get to 800k. And I'd be a bit surprisied to see it hit Dirge of Cerberus' 500k, too. Honestly, I think something more along the lines of Crystal Chronicles' 300/350k is the most likely result.

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Because Mario and Pokemon are now non-games and virtual pets.

Mario, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Pokemon will sell regardless on any handheld in Japan - it sold on GBA, it sold on DS, it'll sell on "ShitPortable 2009" from Nintendo as well. It sold more units than usual, granted, but it's no shocking revelation. FF7:CC will sell on PSP, because it has "Final Fantasy" in the title. It's what's new that is selling that actual got DS its phenomenon status, and that is what has to end for something like CC to actually "end the handheld war."

When Japan actually ends its love affair with gimmicks, non-games and squeenix then we'll enter a new age!

But that's beside the point - my point is that unless FF7:CC implement collectathon action or is actually a massive chocobo virtual pet, it's never going to do much except blip. And even if it WAS those things it probably won't do shit still because people in Japan will wonder why they can't scratch their screens to make the chocobo dance.

THAT SAID, FF7:CC is probably a bad example to use here because it will suck for other reasons

Branduil

FTWer said:

PSP wins

This is gold.

Amir0x said:
Mario, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Pokemon will sell regardless on any handheld in Japan - it sold on GBA, it sold on DS, it'll sell on "ShitPortable 2009" from Nintendo as well. It sold more units than usual, granted, but it's no shocking revelation. FF7:CC will sell on PSP, because it has "Final Fantasy" in the title. It's what's new that is selling that actual got DS its phenomenon status, and that is what has to end for something like CC to actually "end the handheld war."

When Japan actually ends its love affair with gimmicks, non-games and squeenix then we'll enter a new age!

But that's beside the point - my point is that unless FF7:CC implement collectathon action or is actually a massive chocobo virtual pet, it's never going to do much except blip. And even if it WAS those things it probably won't do shit still because people in Japan will wonder why they can't scratch their screens to make the chocobo dance.

crybaby.jpg

Plz let me taste your bitter fanboy tears.

Beezy

FTWer said:
Dirge Of Cerberus = crappy half assed 3rd person shooter of a PS2 port, which sold insanely well just based off the FF7

CC = RPG sequel/prequel to the mot popular game in one of the most popular series with graphics better then anything on the PSP

5 million sold in Japan confirmed

:lol

Found this thread by accident while looking at a Japanese thread on 2ch (don't look now, but they're lolololing at some your posts :lol ).

You just know that emo has lost all meaning when someone points at Zack and says "emo". This is a guy who went through 5 years of experimentation and a manhunt, all the while with a big grin, spouting about optimism and friendship. :lol

To people asking about the composer/music. It's Takeharu Ishimoto, a relatively new composers for the Square. He previously worked as a synth programmer for many of their games, and has only recently started working as a composer. He's probably my favorite of their current generation of composers.

He did the music for Last Order and Before Crisis, and is also doing FF Agito XIII. He also did a bonus track for Vagrant Story and some other stuff.

Samples:

Desperate Crisis from BC -FFVII- (Main Theme)
Last Order from... Last Order (Main Theme)
Please don't leave me - unpublished work

Anyway...

Full Summary and Translation from back in September

Also, some other old stuff...

From Dengeki PS2:
- The trailer showed the battle system for the first time. What kind of battles can we expect?

Nomura: There's a lot of action involved in the battles, but it's still close to the command-input system of an RPG.

- We saw some sort of slots in the trailer that looked somewhat like ripples. What is their purpose in the game?

Nomura: They look like slots, but they're not. They're actually what bring Zack's status back to normal, not just simple gambling tools. All I can say concretely about the system is that it's a moving system. And as for the reels, there's a connection there but I can't tell you because it's connected to the storyline. But it's a very major part of the game.

From Famitsu:
- So what's the present development status of Crisis Core?

Nomura: A lot of people are probably wondering what's going on, what with so little information having being released since its announcement, but development is going along nicely. The scenario is already complete, so now we're recording the voices and refining the battle system. We should probably be able to give people a chance to play a demo by the end of the year, I reckon.

- You showed video of the battle and movie scenes at TGS.

Nomura: There hadn't been any news for a long time, so we wanted to sent the message that we're still working on it. The TSG video use the one we showed at E3 this May as a base, so there's still a lot that we can't show. I think we'll be able to show those to everyone by the end of the year as well.

- There's still a lot of aspects of the game system we've not seen yet, but could you tell us what kind of things are in there?

Nomura: I can't really go into detail about it yet, but it has a really original feel to it. The other day I was talking with the other staff about the battles near the ending and it's really taking shape, [kind of makes you do 'oh, I get it.'] The battle system is linked to the story, and we're planning [dramatic] direction that haven't been done before. It's setting up to be pretty surprising, so I'm hoping people will look forward to it.

- Since it's been released on PSP, are you worried about the volume [disk space]?

Nomura: In the middle of development, we can't really predict how much [space] it will take up when it's finished. At the moment I can only really be certain about the scenario, but from that front it's rather long. We've even had a bit of a debate as to whether or not it will all fit onto one UMD. The scenario is really good, and we don't want to cut any of it, so we're working to fit it all in. I'm personally really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Hope that helps to clarify some stuff. :)

Blunty

I'm actually really looking forward to this - the video looks awesome. Judging from the quality of the trailer it really does look like Square are putting a lot of effort into the game, almost to the extent that looks like they're treating it as if it were a proper numbered installment, which is much more than could ever be said about any of the other FFVII spin-offs at any point in development. I just really hope they don't mess it up. Looks awesome.

Matix said:
Wait, Advent Children had a story.. ?!
It did. FFVII: AC is the best movie ever IMO.

Anyway, Crisis Core looks sweet, and I can't wait to play this on my PSP. It was one of the reasons I wanted to get a PSP in the first place.

I didn't think the graphics were THAT impressive... the models look good but the environments are bland and poorly textured, just like lots of other PSP games (MGS PO anyone?) If you think this looks anywhere near PS2 quality you need to either stop smoking crack or stop playing your PS2 games through an RF adaptor. As for the gameplay... couldn't tell much from the 12 seconds of footage.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
nincompoop said:
I didn't think the graphics were THAT impressive... the models look good but the environments are bland and poorly textured, just like lots of other PSP games (MGS PO anyone?) If you think this looks anywhere near PS2 quality you need to either stop smoking crack or stop playing your PS2 games through an RF adaptor. As for the gameplay... couldn't tell much from the 12 seconds of footage.

:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
nincompoop said:

Wow, first you shit on MGSPO and now you shit on this.

Why don't you tell us what you think looks better than this on PSP?

duckroll

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Wow, first you shit on MGSPO and now you shit on this.

Why don't you tell us what you think looks better than this on PSP?

I don't think that's his point. He just has a high expectation for PSP games that will never be met. :)

nincompoop said:

This looks better tham quite alot of the ps2 games Ive played...tenchu? suikoden? metal slug?

peace

duckroll said:
Well if you want to compare it with sub-par PS2 games.... sure. :p

haha yeah. but honestly...given its on the psp...the last thing someone can complain about is the graphics, the gameplay and story is certainly far from assured...infact it only seems a lock with squares main ffs these days

peace

psy18

Great. He asked aerith for a date and he manages to get a hug by faking a cry.
That man deserves to die.
DIE DIE DIE!.

do wii need a bump?

The PSP is marketed as a portable PS2, so of course I'm disappointed that the games don't look nearly as good. And Suikoden V looks much cleaner and smoother than this.

nincompoop said:
The PSP is marketed as a portable PS2, so of course I'm disappointed that the games don't look nearly as good. And Suikoden V looks much cleaner and smoother than this.

This looks better than a ton of PS2 games.

nincompoop said:
Not on a technical level it doesn't, excluding ports of older games and maybe some extremely low-budget games.

hmmm, Im guessing you have only been playing certain ps2 games..this looks, from the little shown...better than the original KH

peace

Top Bottom