• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

qq more

I didn't think that X8 was all that difficult. Like most Mega Man games there are some things that are totally overwhelming on first try (Gravity Antonion sliding block miniboss, Lumine 2nd battle especially when he does that shifting light bar attack) but on the whole not too bad. The ones that I feel are tough include compared to the rest are X6 and X3. X7 too somewhat, but largely for the wrong reasons.

oh god that room was pure torture :(

My biggest issue with X8 isn't that it's difficult, but rather the difficulty relies on trial and error instead of testing the player's actual skills. Most of the deaths felt really unfair. It goes against what makes Mega Man so great! I sort of still like X8 despite the painful difficulty, the gameplay was really good itself.

And yeah, fuck X7. That game was sooooo wrong. :lol

SkyOdin

I didn't think that X8 was all that difficult. Like most Mega Man games there are some things that are totally overwhelming on first try (Gravity Antonion sliding block miniboss, Lumine 2nd battle especially when he does that shifting light bar attack) but on the whole not too bad. The ones that I feel are tough include compared to the rest are X6 and X3. X7 too somewhat, but largely for the wrong reasons.

Ugh. I have never managed to clear that Gravity Antonion sliding block miniboss. I have only managed to beat that game because you can fight Vile in that puzzle's place. I am not convinced that puzzle is even possible.

Other than that, X8 isn't too bad. It is really hard, but once you have created most of the chips and upgrades, the game becomes significantly easier. Thanks to New Game +, I even managed to clear its Hard Mode without too much trouble. Getting to that point does involve a fair degree of grinding, but not as bad as if you actually wanted to use Cyber-Elves in a Zero game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I finished X4 again after years of not having played it.

It's still my favourite X game. And now I remember why I genuinely liked that final boss. It's hard, but I think that's the way I like it. I really like how it was designed. I'll write a more detailed post for another thread, but I'm very happy that I went through it again. I remember why I liked it so much.

Now to hack away at Star Force. I feel like Geo himself brings the game down. It feels like that kid's kinda one-note at the moment.

The only thing I don't like about X4 is Jet Stingray's waste of a stage. Everything else is great.

X1 is still my favorite though. Everything is just so perfectly designed. I'll never forget the first time I played it back then. Best game ever.

qq more

The only thing I don't like about X4 is Jet Stingray's waste of a stage. Everything else is great.

X1 is still my favorite though. Everything is just so perfectly designed. I'll never forget the first time I played it back then. Best game ever.

I love/hate his stage. Everything but the speed about it was great. If they slow down the speed of the vehicle for that level, it would've been much much better.

SkyOdin

What? Jet Stingray's stage is perfect. It is challenging to someone who hasn't experienced it before, but with some practice it becomes very easy. It isn't nearly as demanding as X5's awful Ride Chaser segment, and doesn't overstay its welcome like Mega Man 8's snowboarding segments.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What? There were games between X4 and X8?

;)

Nah, I think I like all of the stages for the most part, but I do have to admit that Split Mushroom's elevator bit is a tad trying on my nerves. So slow.

It isn't nearly as demanding as X5's awful Ride Chaser segment, and doesn't overstay its welcome like Mega Man 8's snowboarding segments.
Oddly, I don't think I ever minded Jump Jump Slide Slide.

And for some reason I liked it more in the FC version.

Kokonoe

Banned
So I was looking at my Mega Man Anniversary Collection instruction booklet and I saw this...

FGPzIYT.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Heck no, I wouldn't buy that either! It's so tacky, and the colours are kind of clashy. I don't think it'd go together with a lot of outfits either. I'm stickin' with my teddy bear pendant, thanks.

I replayed Mega Man X4 again last month. I was planning on finishing Star Force this week, but that wasn't in the cards. I'll write up impressions for when I do finish that game, though. I think one of the reasons why I haven't beaten it yet (other than being kinda swamped + dude, I didn't know where my 3DS went for a while) is because it's RPGesque, and I was kind of burned out from the genre for a few months from having played a few games that I just got tired of or didn't like at all (ex: Tales of Xillia 2, Ni no Kuni, etc.). A break from RPGs is what the doctor ordered.

So... X4.

Although yesterday was the final day for this, I had beaten Mega Man X4 last week but didn't really type up a reflective post for it. I was a little busy, to be fair. I also managed to sneak in a bit of a Zero run, but boy am I rusty. I can't no-hit this thing without a fair amount of practice at the moment.

Mega Man X4 is still one of my favourite games ever. While X4 kind of marked the beginning of the Zero era to me (with playable Zero for an entire game (I know you could play as him in X3)), I think it also marked the beginning of the subseries being incredibly narrative-driven. Voice acting, animated cutscenes, lots of text (something I generally dislike in Mega Man, but I digress), etc. gave players a chance to experience Mega Man X in ways they hadn't before. The voice acting sucked and some of the lines were cheesy as hell, don't get me wrong, but it's simply interesting that the plot became more of a focal point in X4.

As I'd mentioned before, playing as Zero and X are entirely different affairs. X is typically suited for beginners/people new to the game, since it's your standard "find upgrades, fight Mavericks, get their powers, levels are slightly harder to complete but bosses are easier, etc". Zero brings something a bit new to the table with close-range melee combat, zipping through the levels, and bosses being slightly harder than they should be. You only get sword upgrades at the end of bosses with Zero, so it's rather difficult to take bosses down since you have to a: get up close and personal with them, and b: you don't have power taken from the other Maverick bosses to make them go down fast.

Controls in X4 are great. But controls in Mega Man games are usually great and tight. There are some exceptions, of course. Coming back to this game felt like coming back home, though. I was incredibly satisfied with how the game felt.

Level design is generally decent, and I don't really mind the two-part divisions like I did in MM8. What I truly appreciate, though, are the leap of faith sort of jumps and the timed platforming. I also appreciate the level aesthetics, the enemy sprite design, and the playable character design. Mega Man X4 is a very lovely, beautiful game. Sprite animation is top-notch, background and foreground changes and activity are very nice to look at, and there's tons of colour everywhere. Personally, I kind of wish the X games didn't deviate from this style, but nonetheless, we don't always get what we want. Going in this direction truly made X4 a true successor to the original three games and demonstrated that yes, indeed, sprite-based platformers can survive on the PS platform.

And, uh, well, you know what I'm going to say about the soundtrack. Mega Man music isn't shitty, not in a general sense. Even if the game isn't very good, you're still going to get a fairly decent soundtrack out of it (Xtreme / Xtreme 2 notwithstanding). X4, like the other X games, tends to knock it out of the park. On and off of GAF, I've expressed my general dislike of synth when it isn't used correctly. X4 does it right (ex: Slash Beast, Cyber Peacock (with some awesome as hell bass), Storm Owl, Sigma (Final Form), etc.).

I also want to add that I love the final boss in this game. It's a bit of a difficulty jump because the rest of the game is so easy, but man, I love that boss. I love how it's designed, I love that it can break you completely, and I love that it's so fast. And I kind of like that sort of boss design in games; final bosses are supposed to be hard to me. They're supposed to be tests of attrition. This isn't bad boss design by any means. At least, I don't think so. I love that boss.

With that said, though, MMX4 is still an easy as heck game. I'm super-rusty at it and can't really no-hit run some of this anymore. Regardless, it's not very difficult to no-death run this game at all unless you make some stupid mistakes. X4 isn't perfect (Split Mushroom's stage can be super slow, for example; Jet Stingray's stage can be a bit irritating for first-timers, but after some practice you can get the hang of it), but it's still one of the best X games to me.

Long story short, Mega Man X4 is still the shit. Play it if you have not.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dark Schala said:
As I'd mentioned before, playing as Zero and X are entirely different affairs. X is typically suited for beginners/people new to the game, since it's your standard "find upgrades, fight Mavericks, get their powers, levels are slightly harder to complete but bosses are easier, etc". Zero brings something a bit new to the table with close-range melee combat, zipping through the levels, and bosses being slightly harder than they should be. You only get sword upgrades at the end of bosses with Zero, so it's rather difficult to take bosses down since you have to a: get up close and personal with them, and b: you don't have power taken from the other Maverick bosses to make them go down fast.
Weaknesses apply for Zero just as they do with X. Owl? Ground pound. Peacock? Flame uppercut. Walrus? Same. Mushroom? Electric bolt. Stingray? Ice. Slash Beast? Dash strike (I think). I kinda forget what applies to Magma Dragoon and Web Spider, although I think that you don't really need it for Spider anyway.

Also, Zero's sword does more damage than the X-buster.

In terms of difficulty:
Starting equip X > Zero > Upgraded X

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Weaknesses apply for Zero just as they do with X. Owl? Ground pound. Peacock? Flame uppercut. Walrus? Same. Mushroom? Electric bolt. Stingray? Ice. Slash Beast? Dash strike (I think). I kinda forget what applies to Magma Dragoon and Web Spider, although I think that you don't really need it for Spider anyway.

Also, Zero's sword does more damage than the X-buster.

In terms of difficulty:
Starting equip X > Zero > Upgraded X
Oh, derp, that's right. Magma Dragoon, iirc, should be Raijingeki. Spider... well, who cares, since that boss is pretty easy (probably Hurricane Fang). Man, I should've done an entire Zero run before posting that. Sheesh. Ah well, I'll go back and post my findings later. Thanks, Hito. Feel a bit embarrassed, but that's alright.

I do agree with your difficulty ranking, though. Upgraded X makes the game super-easy. Starter X is still moderately easy, but Zero is harder than Starter X.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Starter X is still moderately easy, but Zero is harder than Starter X.
Starter X = No boss weapons.

Zero isn't that hard, he's just different. Of course, when played with similar restrictions I bet he gets much harder, but it's hard to avoid the benefits he gets from beating bosses.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Starter X = No boss weapons.
Thought you also meant no upgrades as well.

Zero isn't that hard, he's just different. Of course, when played with similar restrictions I bet he gets much harder, but it's hard to avoid the benefits he gets from beating bosses.
Hmmm.

Know what? I'm gonna start another playthrough later tonight and see how that ends up. You've got me interested in that sort of Zero run, tbh.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Thought you also meant no upgrades as well.
Right. Some bosses like Storm Owl can be assholes when you don't one-shot them.

Though there's really no way to make the General a hard fight for X. He's even easier than Crush Crawfish, all things considered. Zero isn't so lucky.

Videoneon

I'd be in the camp that says Zero is harder than X, IIRC, even if it's not especially pronounced. The main things being that Zero tends to take more damage than X does and Zero's close range attacks/moveset necessitate his vulnerability. The Storm Owl fight with Starter X (which I understand more to mean X without any sort of Heart Container or Armor Upgrades, not necessarily Special Weapons which you can't avoid getting) I feel is noticeably easier, even without both Hunters using their weaknesses. I second the idea that Zero has a much harder time with the General fight than X.

A small thing to note, but Zero doesn't have a special move that stuns some Mavericks either like Slash Beast, Web Spider, and Magma Dragoon. If you opt to use the attack that does the most damage on Magma Dragoon and Slash Beast (Raijingeki), you leave yourself open. Which is what tends to happen when you're using most of his special moves anyway (Ryuuenjin, Hyouretsuzan, even the Giga attack at times.) So, like X you're dash jumping all over the place and attacking, just Zero involves more risk.

Though there's really no way to make the General a hard fight for X. He's even easier than Crush Crawfish, all things considered. Zero isn't so lucky.

X3 has some demanding fights if you're only using the X-Buster (Volt Catfish, Neon Tiger) and then there's stuff like Blizzard Buffalo and Crush Crawfish. Blizzard Buffalo just requires maintaining a little distance (and if you played the stage right you probably have the Leg Armor for air-dashing, which is even better for avoiding his ice bursts!) and Crush Crawfish...is too slow and his attacks suck.

Know what? I'm gonna start another playthrough later tonight and see how that ends up. You've got me interested in that sort of Zero run, tbh.

I think it'll be rough. Double Jump is an absolute godsend, and air-dashing isn't useful in this game, but the Sigma fights won't be pretty. (ehh...maybe just the final phase, in particular the Sigma placed on the ground. But that's never fun)

Or you can just totally show me up. =P

I'd be in the camp that says Zero is harder than X, IIRC, even if it's not especially pronounced. The main things being that Zero tends to take more damage than X does and Zero's close range attacks/moveset necessitate his vulnerability. The Storm Owl fight with Starter X (which I understand more to mean X without any sort of Heart Container or Armor Upgrades, not necessarily Special Weapons which you can't avoid getting) I feel is noticeably easier, even without both Hunters using their weaknesses. I second the idea that Zero has a much harder time with the General fight than X.

While I agree Zero in general has a harder time against certain bosses, there are others I feel he does pretty well against, most notably Sigma's final form. I always had an easier time fighting him as Zero than X.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Starter X (which I understand more to mean X without any sort of Heart Container or Armor Upgrades, not necessarily Special Weapons which you can't avoid getting)
Keeping only the X-Buster selected is easy. Avoiding hitting Jump again after the first time in the same jump isn't.

Let me be clear. I mean X with X-Buster only, no heart tanks, no sub tanks, no armor upgrades. If you don't have it at the start of the game it isn't allowed. Zero is less difficult than this.

While I agree Zero in general has a harder time against certain bosses, there are others I feel he does pretty well against, most notably Sigma's final form. I always had an easier time fighting him as Zero than X.
Also, against Jet Stingray, Zero doesn't have to worry about letting the small rays reach the floor, since he can slash them at any time. With X you have a really hard time destroying them.

Videoneon

Keeping only the X-Buster selected is easy. Avoiding hitting Jump again after the first time in the same jump isn't.

Let me be clear. I mean X with X-Buster only, no heart tanks, no sub tanks, no armor upgrades. If you don't have it at the start of the game it isn't allowed. Zero is less difficult than this.

I've...never had an issue with accidental double jumping. I'm thinking of a traditional Dualshock controller too.

I'm struggling to agree with the Zero comment. More elements in the game are catered to X's style. Some of the minibosses are decidedly in Zero's favor over an X who uses no special weapons (Storm Owl definitely, Split Mushroom too) But the stages in general are just much more navigable with X, and the boss fights are easier. Just to throw this out there, I'm not counting the infinite slash trick that the PSX games had for him. Zero requires more finesse than playing as X.

Also, against Jet Stingray, Zero doesn't have to worry about letting the small rays reach the floor, since he can slash them at any time. With X you have a really hard time destroying them.

I'm skeptical about how that really affects the fight with X, to attack Jet Stingray you're firing X Buster shots right through his Ground Hunter shots anyway. I mean I agree that if you let them hit that ground that sucks for him but you're almost never on the ground.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm struggling to agree with the Zero comment. More elements in the game are catered to X's style. Some of the minibosses are decidedly in Zero's favor over an X who uses no special weapons (Storm Owl definitely, Split Mushroom too) But the stages in general are just much more navigable with X, and the boss fights are easier. Just to throw this out there, I'm not counting the infinite slash trick that the PSX games had for him. Zero requires more finesse than playing as X.
Zero is dash places slash shit up. Z Saber also destroys some shots and with a much larger albeit localized hitbox, and the damage you do take is tolerable until the next life item.

Granted, it's fun but not that hard. As mentioed earlier, some bosses like the General and Dragoon are harder but other bosses are easier. Final Sigma is indisputably harder for X without plasma shot. First two Sigma fights are the same for both.

I'm skeptical about how that really affects the fight with X, to attack Jet Stingray you're firing X Buster shots right through his Ground Hunter shots anyway. I mean I agree that if you let them hit that ground that sucks for him but you're almost never on the ground.
So you're saying that if you already have the fight figured out it's not so bad. With Zero you never even get to that point then. Ice repeat ice repeat ice repeat zzzzzzzz.

Ok, so you're not hitting triangle, so what you do is just go in land hits then run out(hide in corner? I forget if that works). As long as you don't let him dive into you there isn't anything he can do.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I started this far too late and only beat three bosses on this barebones Zero run (fuck Storm Owl, though; I dunno what I was thinking there, picking that one last), and I'm really starting to understand where Hito is coming from.

He's right. The Z-Saber actually has more range than I thought it would have, and it's definitely powerful than the X-Buster. You can slam and beast through levels no problem with Zero. With respect to the bosses, I've noticed that I'm just going in for one or two hits and going for dash to evade whenever needed. For the most part, you're using hit-and-run tactics (especially if you want to go for no-hits).

Honestly, outside of Storm Owl, I barely had trouble with Magma Dragoon, Split Mushroom, and Web Spider here (lol, Web Spider isn't even that hard anyway because you can no-hit that one no problem). It is because the Saber does more damage than the X-Buster. And... well, to be fair, X4 is one of the easier X games out there. Sometimes you don't necessarily need a weapon to stun the bosses to get away with attacking them more because the Z-Saber does a lot of the work for you (and I really like the angles that are accessible to you depending on where you strike from; it's something I hadn't really noticed before + the amount of reach the sword grants; when before I'd thought the melee was too short range for you to even accomplish anything without squeezing out in the nick of time, but that isn't the case at all).

To be honest, I'm feeling a little disappointed that it's not as hard as I had anticipated it was going to be (outside of Storm Owl), but we'll see how Sigma goes. I'm kind of excited to see how this will turn out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Storm Owl is definitely the hardest of the eight bosses sans weakness, but without actually giving Zero a go I can't imagine the strategy would be much different from X. Basically it's about staying high, using the platform to your advantage, dodging his attacks, and then hitting him when he leaves himself open.

On second thought, barebones Zero vs Cyber Peacock is a total bitch.

Dark Schala said:
Honestly, outside of Storm Owl, I barely had trouble with Magma Dragoon, Split Mushroom, and Web Spider here (lol, Web Spider isn't even that hard anyway because you can no-hit that one no problem)
Yeah, I never meant to imply Spider was hard, just that I don't remember what his weakness was supposed to be. Part of this is small motivation to figure it out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I mean isn't the strategy of every boss in every mega man game dodge attacks and hit when open?
Well, not so much as a matter of emphasis. Some you land hits whenever convenient. Others you have to bait out or set up. I mean that the Storm Owl fight has a very clear Attack Phase, Defense Phase flow.

Videoneon

He's right. The Z-Saber actually has more range than I thought it would have, and it's definitely powerful than the X-Buster. You can slam and beast through levels no problem with Zero. With respect to the bosses, I've noticed that I'm just going in for one or two hits and going for dash to evade whenever needed. For the most part, you're using hit-and-run tactics (especially if you want to go for no-hits).

Honestly, outside of Storm Owl, I barely had trouble with Magma Dragoon, Split Mushroom, and Web Spider here (lol, Web Spider isn't even that hard anyway because you can no-hit that one no problem). It is because the Saber does more damage than the X-Buster. And... well, to be fair, X4 is one of the easier X games out there. Sometimes you don't necessarily need a weapon to stun the bosses to get away with attacking them more because the Z-Saber does a lot of the work for you (and I really like the angles that are accessible to you depending on where you strike from; it's something I hadn't really noticed before + the amount of reach the sword grants; when before I'd thought the melee was too short range for you to even accomplish anything without squeezing out in the nick of time, but that isn't the case at all).

Wow. I can't see it in my head. But, perhaps it's high time I gave the games a whirl. Maybe I've indeed been away too long and just haven't been recognizing all of Zero's play. I've been used to the idea that X was more effective for his playstyle in X4. In the near future, I'll have to give the X games a try again.

This is somewhat old news, I searched but didn't find anything but it's really cool.

Dr. Light Capsule Replica shown off in San Francisco.

"I'm not worthy!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Z Saber actually has a trick - if you do not use the final "Haaaah!" slash, the enemy won't go into "invulnerable" mode. So simply chaining the first two hits repeatedly can wreck enemies.

Also PROJECT X ZONE is coming in June 25. Last game for X and Zero!

Emitan

Holy shit Mega Man Zero 2 is so fucking amazing. The only other Mega Man game I've played is Maverick Hunter X.

Amazing control and when you learn a level you feel invincible. This game is amazing.

Rhapsody

Banned
Holy shit Mega Man Zero 2 is so fucking amazing. The only other Mega Man game I've played is Maverick Hunter X.

Amazing control and when you learn a level you feel invincible. This game is amazing.
MMZ did have some of my favorite controls in a MM game (along with SNES X and ZX). I wish Maverick Hunter X felt the same way since it felt sort of clunky, iirc.

Azure J

Welcome to the good life man. Get through that then jump onto 3 and 4 (3 especially since the bonus upgrades are too good) for even slicker play.

CorvoSol

No you need to play Mega Man Zero 3. It's the best Mega Man Zero game and my favorite Mega Man game hands down.

The final boss of Mega Man Zero 3 has more HP than any boss in the entire series. He's ridiculous.

Also: I was never happy that in X4 and beyond they nerfed Zero's buster. I know it was to make him not totally broken compared to X, but yeah, it bugged me.

I did love that in Xtreme 2 you got armor for Zero. More games should've had Zero armor.

PKrockin

The MMX iOS port is truly unspeakably, shockingly bad. I mean, I saw the announcement. I knew it would be bad. But it wasn't until today when I watched this let's play that I truly grasped the magnitude of the injustice done to this lovingly-crafted game. It disgusts me, and I feel sorry for all you hardcore Mega Man fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1fK_T6tYkI

Videoneon

After Zero 2, is Zero 3 which is a real treat! I always hated the level up mechanic in 1 and 2, but I gotta say the idea of the Forms was a nice thought, even if I only ever used the Active form for that awesome spinning aerial slash.

MMZ did have some of my favorite controls in a MM game (along with SNES X and ZX). I wish Maverick Hunter X felt the same way since it felt sort of clunky, iirc.

Maverick Hunter X was indeed clunky. It doesn't capture the speed or smoothness of the SNES controls. It's slower.

Yuck-Face1.jpg

The graphical chaos is so annoying and I'm glad the player touched on that; I hate how all over the place the visuals are. The animation stinks, the backgrounds are barely changed (but the sprites are slightly different!) they used Maverick Hunter X artwork in addition to MHX inspired stuff. Agh.

I love those screen transitions though.
I hate them

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haven't had time for X4 this week at all. Lots of work to get done in the next three weeks. I will make time for it on the weekend, though. I know I have two exams on Monday, but I will make time for it since I'm studying now.

And I'm so glad to see Zero 3 praise. It's my favourite one out of the four. And CorvoSol, we're actually agreeing on something here, eh?

Maverick Hunter X was indeed clunky. It doesn't capture the speed or smoothness of the SNES controls. It's slower.
I thought I was the only one who felt this way at times. I'd downloaded MHX on PS+ the other day despite having a hardcopy of it. The last time I played Mega Man X was the SNES version (actually, it was the iOS version and that version is horrendous and let us never speak of it again). Going from MMX SNES to MHX on PSP/Vita kind of felt strange. I still like the game, but I prefer the SNES version by a country mile because it simply feels better, and I like the resolution in the SNES version more than the PSP version.

Out of the two PSP games, Powered Up! was the better one.

And, uh, let me stress: Never get the iOS version of MMX. That video demonstrates why it's a very poor version of the game, but it certainly feels terrible when you play the game yourself. I couldn't help but to be reminded of Mega Man 2's iOS version while trying it out.

Noi

I mostly play MHX for Vile mode, which kinda fits into the game being slower overall. The
X/Zero
boss fight at the end is cool.

Oh, and playing a drinking game: One shot every time someone says "Maverick", two for "You've gone Maverick."

CorvoSol

Haven't had time for X4 this week at all. Lots of work to get done in the next three weeks. I will make time for it on the weekend, though. I know I have two exams on Monday, but I will make time for it since I'm studying now.

And I'm so glad to see Zero 3 praise. It's my favourite one out of the four. And CorvoSol, we're actually agreeing on something here, eh?

I thought I was the only one who felt this way at times. I'd downloaded MHX on PS+ the other day despite having a hardcopy of it. The last time I played Mega Man X was the SNES version (actually, it was the iOS version and that version is horrendous and let us never speak of it again). Going from MMX SNES to MHX on PSP/Vita kind of felt strange. I still like the game, but I prefer the SNES version by a country mile because it simply feels better, and I like the resolution in the SNES version more than the PSP version.

Out of the two PSP games, Powered Up! was the better one.

And, uh, let me stress: Never get the iOS version of MMX. That video demonstrates why it's a very poor version of the game, but it certainly feels terrible when you play the game yourself. I couldn't help but to be reminded of Mega Man 2's iOS version while trying it out.

Maybe you just have better taste in Mega Man than you do Final Fantasy
I kid, I kid.

Zero 3 is super freaking awesome, though. Introduces some scary villains, has the best final boss with the best final boss theme, forms are a fun way to expand and such, crosses over with Battle Network of all things. 3 is great. I rank the Zero series in terms of awesome final boss fights, so it goes 3 > 1 > 4 > 2 for me. The only thing that trumps that feel of beating the stuffing out of former hero X is
fighting yourself to the death in the ruins of the opening scene of the series.

All in all, though, the Zero series is amazing. Much as I liked the Biometals idea in ZX, the Zero series is so much better than the ZX games it ain't funny.

Maybe you just have better taste in Mega Man than you do Final Fantasy
I kid, I kid.

Zero 3 is super freaking awesome, though. Introduces some scary villains, has the best final boss with the best final boss theme, forms are a fun way to expand and such, crosses over with Battle Network of all things. 3 is great. I rank the Zero series in terms of awesome final boss fights, so it goes 3 > 1 > 4 > 2 for me. The only thing that trumps that feel of beating the stuffing out of former hero X is
fighting yourself to the death in the ruins of the opening scene of the series.

All in all, though, the Zero series is amazing. Much as I liked the Biometals idea in ZX, the Zero series is so much better than the ZX games it ain't funny.

I need to get back to the Zero series. I played them all out of order, and never finished any of them. I can't even remember what happened in them. I know I enjoyed them though.

Thinking of trying to find Battle Network 1-3 somewhere, another major gap in my Mega Fandom.

CorvoSol

ZX in a way felt like a step back. Not a bad series but not great either...

It just has the unfortunate distinction of being a good series stuck in the shadow of an incredible series.

I need to get back to the Zero series. I played them all out of order, and never finished any of them. I can't even remember what happened in them. I know I enjoyed them though.

Thinking of trying to find Battle Network 1-3 somewhere, another major gap in my Mega Fandom.

The MMZ Collection for DS is great and lets you play straight through all 4 without having to bust your chops to get the EX skills. It's easy mode and perfect for babbies like me.

Confession, I've never played any MMX game past 6 (unless you count Command Mission.)

I haven't played one past 5 I don't think, and even then they were rentals at a time where I wasn't finishing anything.

X1 is the only one I own and have replayed a couple dozen times. I'd love to get X2 and 3 again just to finish them and master them.

qq more

I haven't played one past 5 I don't think, and even then they were rentals at a time where I wasn't finishing anything.

X1 is the only one I own and have replayed a couple dozen times. I'd love to get X2 and 3 again just to finish them and master them.

Don't forget to get X4. That game is amazing.

SkyOdin

You should track down the Mega Man X Collection then. It has Mega Man X 1 through 6 on it (plus Mega Man Battle and Chase for some inexplicable reason). There are some drawbacks, such as it using the PS1 version X3 and it lacks voice-acting of any sort in X5 and X6, but it is a good way to play most of the series.

Anyways, I am one of those people who prefer X6 to X5. I just don't find X5 very fun at all, and I think X6 has much better characters and writing. I know that X6 has its fair share of problems with fundamentals, but it actually made some attempt to fix a few of X5's faults. X7 on the other hand is the one Mega Man game I haven't beaten. It makes a valiant attempt at transitioning into 3D, but fails to be a good Mega Man game on several levels. Why on earth did they think it was a good idea for rescuable reploids to die to any enemy attack? Especially when you need to rescue a ridiculous number of them to unlock X of all characters in a timely manner.

X8 on the other hand is a pretty good game if can get used to its oddities. I think it gets a lot better on a New Game+ Hard mode run, for some reason.

Top Bottom