• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Spec Ops: The Line | Never felt so miserable about myself

Can someone explain this quote to me? I'm sure there's much more to it than i think:

"Home? We can't go home. There's a line men like us have to cross. If we're lucky we do what's necessary and then we die. No... all i really want, Captain, is peace."

Ferrio

Banned
Can someone explain this quote to me? I'm sure there's much more to it than i think:

"Home? We can't go home. There's a line men like us have to cross. If we're lucky we do what's necessary and then we die. No... all i really want, Captain, is peace."

They've done/seen so much stuff that their mental state is so ruined they might never re-adjust to regular life. They'll never know peace because they'll always relive those moments throughout their life, and the only way they can achieve that is through death.

Least that's what I get from it.

antitrop

They've done/seen so much stuff that their mental state is so ruined they might never re-adjust to regular life. They'll never know peace because they'll always relive those moments throughout their life, and the only way they can achieve that is through death.

Least that's what I get from it.
It really is true. I just found out someone I deployed with died in a shoot-out with cops this morning, PTSD flashback.

A fucking tragedy, war is. For some of us, coming back is worse than being there.

katkombat

Banned
It really is true. I just found out someone I deployed with died in a shoot-out with cops this morning, PTSD flashback.

A fucking tragedy, war is. For some of us, coming back is worse than being there.

Damn, dude... :(

Fucking awesome game, made me feel sick after the
White Phosphorus
mission...

Sblargh

Banned
Just finished the game. Excellent experience. I have nothing much to add right now, still a bit shocked by it all. But yeah, this was gaming narrative at its finest.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dat spec ops plat. Didn't realize how drastically different the endings were. Glad I got the one I got the first time around. It was an honor, gentlemen.

katkombat

Banned
Holy shit. I just finished this game (3:53:26 damn! didn't skip the cutscenes either) what a phenomenal one. One of my favorites tbh it really steps up narrative in gaming. I finished it and was like...what the fuck!? Fucking awesome.

Raoh

I don't know how you can't feel sorry for Walker when Konrad makes his speech.

I'm curious if this guy ever finished it.

Haven't finished it, just started playing the other night actually. Up to the point where
got split up from my squad and have to go at it solo for a bit with a shotgun

Very cool game indeed. Not mind blowing so far but far far better than I expected.

Got this game over Christmas. Didn't actually play it until the second week of January and beat it over the course of a couple of nights. Basically did it exactly the way Antitrop said to and oh holy shit, when that revelation hits, it hits.

Certainly colored my later Black Ops II playthrough a very, very odd shade. While I had always wondered how many people I had killed, now I was thinking just how absurd it was.

On the other hand, I started the game out on Suicide Mission, so I got quite intimate with some of the nuances later in the game. Especially Walker's psychotic breakdown in the later chapters and the passive-aggressive loading screens.

Easily one of the best stories of this generation (ah Hell, probably one of the best stories I've seen period) and I recommend this to everyone I know who plays video games.

Raoh

Holy shit. I just finished this game (3:53:26 damn! didn't skip the cutscenes either) what a phenomenal one. One of my favorites tbh it really steps up narrative in gaming. I finished it and was like...what the fuck!? Fucking awesome.

That was fast. Did you play it on the standard setting or hard?

Raoh

Am I feeling this game?

feeling-it.gif

Yes, yes I am.

It's hard to explain because there is really nothing SPECIAL about this game. It's basically socom meets haze.

But, as I skipped some of the story, the more I progressed further the more I want to play it again and soak in the story I missed.

The pacing was well done. The mechanics worked. And especially after playing the online portion, I only try to play online after I beat the single player for any game, its too easy to take cover and that's a drawback.

This is the true successor to socom, since socom sucked as a successor to socom this gen.

I was just trying to get through my PS+ backlog, I am going to keep this game, play the online, I downloaded the free dlc and after I get better I will buy the paid dlc that is currently $3.99 if I last that long.

My PSN name is LordRaoh if anyone wants to add me for this game. I hope people are playing it with tactics and not like a halo or cod. I got shot because no one had my back as the room was small, if yall need another squad member... I'm in...

Again the game is semi bland, semi under and over hyped, but its IMO still better than a majority of the other shooters that are out this gen.

Bravo devs.. Bravo

Cronox

Banned
Raoh, I don't think many are playing this game online. The lead developers regret that multiplayer even exists, it was farmed out to another development studio.

Anyway, I beat it on PC earlier today, after inexplicably taking a break just 1.5 hours before the ending. Good, daring stuff, it's worth playing regardless of if you like it or not. The most affecting thing to come out of a mainstream publisher that I can think of.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I played it a few weeks ago. People are playing it on PS3, but it's like... 50 or so players. The multiplayer is okay and I don't get a SOCOM vibe outside of that one-shot-one-kill mode. What's frustrating is that the players left playing is 50+ ranked so the objective mode is them steamrolling level 2-5's like me endlessly. Not really fun to play.

I gave up on the multiplayer because I play Battlefield and needed to free the harddrive space the game took up. I know the devs regret it being in there but honestly: It's better than the ho-hum mediocre singleplayer. It's just as mediocre, but at least there's more to it in regards to enemies flanking than a simple "line."

It was OK...

It didn't spend enough time on the story to get me emotionally involved, so the shock value of the scenes were essentially wasted. It didn't give me enough familiarity to care.

The Tyler Durden goes to war aspect was kind of entertaining, though.

Raoh

Raoh, I don't think many are playing this game online. The lead developers regret that multiplayer even exists, it was farmed out to another development studio.

Anyway, I beat it on PC earlier today, after inexplicably taking a break just 1.5 hours before the ending. Good, daring stuff, it's worth playing regardless of if you like it or not. The most affecting thing to come out of a mainstream publisher that I can think of.

That's sad to hear. I haven't had a chance to get back online since then but I did like what I played for that short while.

I'm just a third person shooter kind of gamer and regardless of its negatives, I found it to be a hell of alot better than cod and the usual online shooters. Like I said it has a socom feel to it.

Top Bottom