• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Spec Ops: The Line | Never felt so miserable about myself

R0nn

So with all the GAF hype surrounding this game, calling it one of the biggest surprises of this gen and whatnot, I had to try it out. Almost six hours later, finishing it in just two sittings on normal difficulty, I have to say it fucking delivered!

The game starts out as a fairly standard, by the books squad based, third-person modern military shooter with a bald protagonist voiced by Nolan North. One can't get more generic than that right? It's true, based on gameplay alone, the game is nothing more than competent. It's doesn't have the best cover system or gunplay, there aren't any standout weapons, gadgets or tools within the game, no special enemies or boss encounters, the sand physics are no more than fancied up explosive barrels...the only thing that stood out to me a little bit, was the aggressive and dynamic AI.

Having played quite a few of these types of games this past gen, it does take some perseverence to get to the really good stuff before you get bored. A few chapters in, the game gradually starts evolving into something more than the sum of it's parts, into something quite special and unique.

The thing is though, it's really hard to explain what makes this game stand out so much, without giving too much away. It's all to do with the storytelling, which is truly something else and a real advancement for the medium as a whole. What I will say about it is that this is probably the first game which truly made me doubt my own actions and let me actively think about my own morals during gameplay. There's a certain scene in this game, and the fans WILL know which one I'm talking about, which brought up emotions that I've never felt before and in such a way that only a game could deliver. It was absolutely profound. As well, the main character has a true arc to him, still a unique trait for videogames, which gradually develops during the game and which has a very intricate link with you as a player and the plot as a whole. It's also Nolan North's best performance.

To everyone who hasn't played this yet, just go get it, for whatever platform. It's fairly cheap now anyway. I played the pc version, which looks very beautiful and seems very well optimized. Visually speaking, this is quite a beautiful game to look at in places. It really managed to surprise me and catch me off guard with it's natural looking sand effects, stylistic lighting, nicely decorated interiors and breathtaking vistas. I never expected the art direction to be so tight. Also, the soundtrack is amazing and implemented in a very special way during the game.

Protip: do NOT play the demo to get a good impression of the overall experience. It completely falls flat in that regard. As much gameplay as there is (cutscenes are all short and there are no QTE's to speak of), the experience here is all about the development of the story.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I must say I don't share these sentiments. I felt the story was too easy to predict and all "choices" you had were no choices at all, except for the ending.

And then the gameplay was so uninspiring that it made me really tired of playing. I just wanted it to end finally. Also all these "messages" in the loading screen like "How many Americans have you killed today" made me feel nothing. I didn't care if I shoot Americans or some middle eastern people.

NEO0MJ

You're still a good person.

No, this is all your fault.

I must say I don't share these sentiments. I felt the story was too easy to predict and all "choices" you had were no choices at all, except for the ending.

And then the gameplay was so uninspiring that it made me really tired of playing. I just wanted it to end finally. Also all these "messages" in the loading screen like "How many Americans have you killed today" made me feel nothing. I didn't care if I shoot Americans or some middle eastern people.

I'm so tempted to pull out a meme, but it's not worth it. And I felt the choices were great. Not every game needs a pointless dialogue wheel.

Loved this game. The perfect "anti-shooter" to all the CoD dudebro games out there.

It wears on you, it drains your spirit. It takes all of the FPS techniques and gameplay tropes that are usually used to reward players for killing, and turns them on their head to make you complicit in the things you tell your character to do.

ezekial45

Banned

THoOu65.jpg

R0nn

I was wondering about this actually. The few parts in the game where it seems you can make a certain choice, is it actually possible? I mean
was it actually possible to let Gould get shot or walk away from Riggs instead of giving him a merciful death?

ezekial45 said:

Nice, is that an actual loading screen from the game? I like how the texts become more and more fourth wall breaking the farther you progressed.

Apdiddy

The thing that strikes me about the game is
overhearing a conversation between two characters about listening to the wind back home and one of them getting a piece of gum then you kill both of them.

That stuck with me more than anything infamous like
dousing civilians with white phosperous or shooting civilians when Lugo dies.

R0nn

That stuck with me more than anything infamous like
dousing civilians with white phosperous or shooting civilians when Lugo dies.

Funny you mention that.
I actually couldn't bring myself to shoot those civvies. I was actively looking for a way to get out of there non violently. The game still commands you to do it though, which sort of reminded me of BioShock. In the end I decided to melee one of the guys in front and they all ran away. Overall, it made the scene less impactful than it should've been, but I just couldn't do it.

Just needed that one unforgettable conclusion that lived up to all the escalating brutality and trauma beforehand to mark it a certified classic. Alas.

jimi_dini

Funny you mention that.
I actually couldn't bring myself to shoot those civvies. I was actively looking for a way to get out of there non violently. The game still commands you to do it though

(endgame spoiler)
shoot into the air. Videogames made you believe there is no other way around.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea this is the effect it had on me. The real "profound" moments are entirely out of your hands and the minute to minute gameplay is so miserable that you just want the thing to end.

phierce

Yes. Yes, I do feel like a fucking hero.

I just finished this last night and thoroughly enjoyed the entire game. I completed the first playthrough on 'Suicide Mission' and then went back and cleaned up all other trophies (minus MFWIC) with chapter select.

I'm debating a second full playthrough on 'FUBAR' just for the platinum, but The Show is calling my name...so I'll probably save that for later.

R0nn

I found the graphics surprisingly good for a shitty UE3 Sub-HD PS3 port. The art is nice

One of the scenes that really stood out to me, was when you were walking between these walls covered with graffiti and street commercials. Don't know how it looks on the PS3, but the textures are really nice on the pc version.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

I'm so tempted to pull out a meme, but it's not worth it. And I felt the choices were great. Not every game needs a pointless dialogue wheel.

I am not talking about dialogue wheels. I am talking about something, even if just the next corridor, changing depending on what you do. It feld entirely like I was playing on rails. The gameplay was so detrimental to the game that it completetly hampered my enjoyment of any possible story.

Precisely!

I know you want to say that that was the point from the beginning, that all was predetermined, but for me, that made the game that much more boring. The white phosphor scene didn't touch me at all. I knew from the beginning what I was doing when I was forced to bomb them all. I mean what else would all these random white dots be. Predictable.

Also can anyone explain me, what stealing the water supply should accomplish except killing all the inhabitants? I didn't see any logical reason why I was forced to do that.

That was the point!

The developers made a shitty shooter on purpose? (not talking story here)

Also can anyone explain me, what stealing the water supply should accomplish except killing all the inhabitants? I didn't see any logical reason why I was forced to do that.
You liberate it from the 33rd who are using it to dominate the people. It was a heroic act that you undertook at the behest of the CIA in order to bring back some semblance of order.

That was the reasoning anyway...

Des0lar

will learn eventually
You liberate it from the 33rd who are using it to dominate the people.

That was the reasoning anyway...

Yeah but you are stealing it from people who at least distribute it to the people. What are you supposed to do with it in the trucks driving away from the city? I never heard anyone talking about giving it back to the people afterwards.

Yeah but you are stealing it from people who at least distribute it to the people. What are you supposed to do with it in the trucks driving away from the city? I never heard anyone talking about giving it back to the people afterwards.
You aren't driving it out of the city - you're driving it away from the 33rd controlled zone, namely the "nest" and "the gate". Bringing it back into the hands of the CIA who are helping the resistance, and "the people".

The 33rd were gathering up and gunning down citizens at random because their leader had gone insane. Right?
Shit, is this a spoiler thread or what?

R0nn

I have to agree that the gameplay was a bit detrimental. As I said in the OP, it's no more than competent, and very derivative at that. With so many of these games on the market, it can get stale quite quickly. There's always some sort of story progression after each shoot out though, so I felt the pacing was quite good overall. They managed to keep me playing without me ever getting overly bored of the shooting parts.

Amir0x

Banned
This was my post when I finished the game recently in another SPEC OPS LTTP topic ->

[url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46179676&postcount=1538]Amir0x[/url] said:
I just finished this. That was... interesting. Not sure I enjoyed the experience in the way I would a game I could love, but I'm not disappointed I played it. More than its surface criticisms of the military in general, I did appreciate the constant subtext about what it means to be a GAMER who does these things. On more than one occasion I did feel like I was forced into a situation in which the game was making meta-commentary on what it means that I am constantly motivated to push forward in these ultra-violent games, and what the choices one makes when they put certain content in front of them and say the game isn't giving them a 'choice.' I think the game best sums it up with the line "Do you feel like a hero?"

I think there's a lot of interesting things here. I'm not sure it's an entirely successful experiment, but it does fascinate me. And sometimes that's better than just being a straight forward like/dislike.
[url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46206739&postcount=1556]Amir0x[/url] said:
Ha, but you did have a choice. We all had a choice. The designer of the game said forcing the white phosphorous was intentional because he wanted the gamer to come to the realization that the actual choice was that we could put down the controller and walk away. He actually said that's one of the game's "endings", putting down the controller and walking away.

And that's the most thought provoking element of all - at what point are we disconnected from the horror of what we're doing so much that we don't even consider the alternative anymore. We just say "we don't have a choice" and do whatever the game asks!

I had an interesting time with the game. I felt it was a very novel take on the idea of game narratives. It wasn't particularly FUN, but I think it's as close to as good as any game has got to the concept of the way a movie can be great but not 'fun', the way Schindler's List was good but not fun. Not to say this game is anywhere near the quality of Schindler's List, just that this is one of the few games - in a medium which so far has been defined by how fun things must be - where a title can be very captivating while not being particularly fun at all.

I did myself a favor and played through this on "easy" when I rented it from Gamefly last year. Man, this game was a trip. I yelled at the TV several times due to my lack of choice, but I played through to the end none-the-less.

A very memorable experience.

I really couldn't recommend a second playthrough more.

Will do a third runthrough myself at some point, but unlike most here I enjoyed the gunplay.

Isak_Borg

probably one of the most important game to come out this console generation.

hopefully we'll see more games like this next gen.

I played this game in one sitting last weekend. Actually my first cover shooter ever, so I wasn't totally up on what it was doing gameplay-wise, but the narrative floored me. There's a piece of intel that I couldn't stop thinking about after finishing:

Regarding PTSD and Konrad's personality. It said that for a man of Konrad's station, PTSD would likely manifest as alienation from those around him accompanied by increasing self-assurance regarding his moral rectitude. I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep when the revelation hit me that it's about Walker.

Really a great, challenging creative work. Like I said in the other LTTP thread, I want to replay it, but not too soon. I'm not keen on repeating the atrocities.

Nert

It's always great to see more people getting around to giving this game a shot. I didn't get around to playing it until this January, but it still ended up being my favorite game from last year. I can't think of a video game that does a better job of leveraging game mechanics and video game tropes to help tell its story. It works both as a fascinating piece of fiction and as a sharp critique of AAA action games.

Balphon

I appreciated what the game was trying to do, but it fell a little flat for me in the end. Didn't help that all the white phosphorus stuff felt really contrived.

Wasn't the goal to kill all inhabitants? Because of all the war crimes commited by the 33rd, the CIA needed any possible witness dead so as to prevent any nation from declaring war against the US for revenge.

RoKKeR

Playing this game physically made me sick to my stomach. No other game has ever done that. Absolutely incredible, and I'm glad that the game has gotten the attention it has.

Wasn't the goal to kill all inhabitants? Because of all the war crimes commited by the 33rd, the CIA needed any possible witness dead so as to prevent any nation from declaring war against the US for revenge.
That was the CIA's actual goal yes. To keep what went down there a secret, avoiding enraging the region, and starting a war "we'd lose" iirc.

undrtakr900

So with all the GAF hype surrounding this game, calling it one of the biggest surprises of this gen and whatnot, I had to try it out.
Someone else made a similar LTTP thread a while back and since I had little interest in Spec Ops--thinking it was another COD clone--I read the spoilers. But it was until After I read the spoilers that I became interested in it.

Do you still recommend the game if I already had the ending spoiled?

R0nn

Amir0x said:
This was my post when I finished the game recently in another SPEC OPS LTTP topic

Very nice analysis. Resonates how I feel about the game quite well.

Something else I felt was really well done was how the executions became more and more brutal as you progressed, as well as the amount of cursing and swearing. North really let himself go in this game.

At a certain point I sort of got confronted with myself when I started cursing because I died a couple of times at a certain late point in the game. It's a very resonating experience in that way. I also started to dislike doing the executions, which was weird to me.

Someone else made a similar LTTP thread a while back and since I had little interest in Spec Ops--thinking it was another COD clone--I read the spoilers. But it was until After I read the spoilers that I became interested in it.

Do you still recommend the game if I already had the ending spoiled?

You should play it to experience everything in context.

Top Bottom