• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
#teamHype gifs

ibhHwR6SicImqP.gif

iI3p2AOwjpOuH.gif

iblKDpfMZVOBvR.gif

Branduil

Majestic Prince 1

Not bad.

There's nothing really new here, but despite the bad character designs and occasionally garish colors, it's somehow not unpleasant to watch. The storyboarding and direction was quite competent, and the multi-toned lighting and shading model the show uses improves the visuals considerably, as well as making the transition from traditional animation to 3D CGI shot-to-shot feel more natural. The great orchestral soundtrack also really improves the watchability. My biggest complaint is that the writing feels pretty forced right now in its attempts at comedy; I understand wanting to establish each character's personality in a clear way, but it's really just a bit too artificial with how each scene is written out to highlight a character's quirks. The direction makes this less painful than it could be, because the pacing is so fast, but the writing is going to have to improve or this will get tired fast.

I can't complain about the CGI. They take full advantage of the freedom provided by CG models, and the designs and lighting work pretty well. The animations were also fairly creative, I liked the weird touches like a sniper mecha with a sliding head.

And behold, Hisashi Hirai's idea of moe. Someone kill this thing with fire please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom