• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I guess late-night programming might be more standard in other countries. The mainstream channels practically shut down here around mid night and start playing music and looping the evening journal over and over again.

No late night programming? Sounds like a fate worse than death.

Branduil

Well, I'm going to make the Attack on Titan thread tonight once we have a good number of reviews. Hopefully by then they'll have announced a simulcast, LOL.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Um, maybe not rotoscoping by itself, but a similar technique of tracing over frames, but in CG?. KoF XIII did it.

Probably not, but looked weird for some kind of cel shading.

Now I have to watch it...

No it isn't CG. BGBW is just trollin.

His obsession with foreign Western poetry and his insistence that it's too deep for his friends makes him far more realistically chuunibyou than anyone in Kyoani's show. I haven't read the manga, but between the protagonist's neurosis and Nakamura (who says "make a contract with me" in the episode preview), this is sort of like the anti-Chuu2.

So that's what cuunibyou REALLY entails? It's just being a hipster, not a fake schizophrenic nut? Well that's boring.

Okay so I'm using my free trial on Crunchyroll this season since there are so many shows I want to watch, and the service has been absolutely horrible. The switch to high quality videos was a blessing for about 2 minutes before the buffering started. I have to watch episodes in three minute bursts taking ten minute breaks in between to get the video up to a watchable speed. Even pausing it for a half hour before starting doesn't get me through an episode. Can any subscribers tell me if you've had similar issues/how to fix this?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Can any subscribers tell me if you've had similar issues/how to fix this?
I have never had an issue similar to the one you are describing. In the event some issue does occur I pop the video out into a new window and that usually solves the problem.

Jex

RE: Flower of Evil

You guys were so busy making fun of background girl one you never bothered to pick on background girl number two. Or maybe you just never noticed her?

Okay so I'm using my free trial on Crunchyroll this season since there are so many shows I want to watch, and the service has been absolutely horrible. The switch to high quality videos was a blessing for about 2 minutes before the buffering started. I have to watch episodes in three minute bursts taking ten minute breaks in between to get the video up to a watchable speed. Even pausing it for a half hour before starting doesn't get me through an episode. Can any subscribers tell me if you've had similar issues/how to fix this?

I usually don't have major issues with Crunchyroll's speed, but occasionally I will if my internet is going slowly at the moment. I'll sometimes just leave the episode paused at the start for five minutes or so before I watch further, and that usually helps if I'm having problems (in addition to not having any downloads running in the background).

For the most part, I find that I can watch through episodes in HD without any real difficulties. Sometimes I do run into issues like what you're talking about, though, but it doesn't really happen that often.

Jex

Sometimes Crunhyroll's servers are really weird and I have the experience you describe above, but most of the time it's fine for me.

Theonik

Sometimes Crunhyroll's servers are really weird and I have the experience you describe above, but most of the time it's fine for me.
Yeah though I have noticed some consistent issues with them too. Mainly their player sometimes stops buffering if a video is paused too long some times and will think the video is over making you restart to be able to resume and see the rest.

DiGiKerot

Pretty much. About maybe one in four times that I try to watch something, I get annoying issues with the video freezing up at resolutions above 480p, but usually it works fine.

That said, I remember when Sword Art Online was airing, and it was literally impossible for me to actually manage to watch anything within the couple of hours after that went up.

Majestic Prince - 01
WwQjlTv.png
Nice, now if only she would wear a bag over her head.

Jarmel

Banned
Date A Live 1-

This makes Infinite Stratos look like high art. I'm dead serious when I say that. Why the fuck am I going to continue watching this?

BluWacky

Attack on Titan 1

Well, goodness, that was dramatic. There was a lot of screaming (particularly from the male seiyuu), dramatic wind whipping about, and general hysteria.

It was also pretty damn awesome. Sure, it's very overblown, but it completely suits the drama of the events of the first episode - this is, after all, life and death we're talking about.

Clearly very little expense has been spared on this first episode, at least. The action animation is superlative (given the unorthodox movement of both the Titans and the army members), and the visuals are striking and well produced - the thick lines on the character art are particularly distinctive, and the Titans are genuinely creepy.

While I could probably do without all the shouting (Mikasa's comparatively dry characterisation compared to everyone around her makes her immediately endearing) I really, really enjoyed the first episode. I will definitely be watching the next one!

Jarmel

Banned
Attack on Titan 1

Well, goodness, that was dramatic. There was a lot of screaming (particularly from the male seiyuu), dramatic wind whipping about, and general hysteria.

Well the manga itself is dramatic in a cheesy 80's type way as well. I have a feeling this translates well for Araki.

Pooya

Majestic Prince - 1

Anyway, I got a HUGE Final Fantasy VIII vibe during this episode. It reminded me of the SeeD exam, to be exact, and kinda developed in the same way now that I think about it.

What I like:
- 4 out of the 5 characters.
- Sawashiro in a Quistis-style role.

FF8? hmmm, maybe I watch this then.

duckroll

Attack on Titan - Episode 1

That was pretty good. It's basically a straight adaptation of the first one and a half chapters of the manga, pretty literally. Araki's direction has some solid layouts and really attractive high speed action. The "dramatic" moments are pretty over-dramatized as expected, but it kinda fits the tone they're going for with the show. I think they've succeeded in making it feel very period, which is also something the manga strives for. But here they have the extra benefit of leveraging on cinematic techniques as well. The thick character outlines, the way things are colored and shaded, and the direction in general, invokes a feeling of an older era of Japanese films where things were always larger than life and the canvas feels a lot wider.

The opening animation also invokes this style really well, even though I'm not a big fan of the song. It's not really to my taste, but the animation is stylistic and feels like a Showa era movie trailer with large captions, heavy film gain, and lots of in-your-face stuff. Definitely feels like a cross between a monster movie and a war movie, which is exactly the sort of story this is.

Hopefully they can keep up the production values, because it feels like they're going in for the long haul. It's unlikely this is a 12 episode series, especially with the adaptation pace. There are already a rather larger number of scenes in the first episode using stills though, so maybe they're getting prepared!

Jarmel

Banned
I don't give attention to composers who I feel should be basking at sidewalks instead.

Damn lol.

Its very orchestra-ish.

Well I guessed on that. I was wondering if there was a good amount of strings involved or whether they went with horns. The horns would probably give it a good militarisitic feel to it but I have a feeling it's mostly wind instruments and strings.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 44: The Occupation of Phezzan

~ We don't need such things as Kaisers. ~

Admiral Mittermeyer, as expected, completely dominates the inexperienced Phezzan defenses and promptly puts the entire planet under Imperial rule.
Hearing the soldiers roar "Sieg Kaiser Reinhard!" is a big sign of what's to come. Slowly Reinhard is completing his grip on the Imperial Throne. I'm also glad the scriptwriters didn't back down from any Nazi-relationship. Sieg is too good a word to ignore in a German-speaking Empire.
Fräulein von Mariendorf looks really good in that military uniform.
Mashengo was pretty damn fashionable this episode.

cjkeats

OreImo S2, Episode 1

Great kickoff to a new season. New ClariS OP is awesome, and appropriately titled "reunion", because that's what this episode felt like. We got a glimpse of just about everyone.
Didn't get much set up for what this season is going to entail
other than the eventual Kurneko/Kousuke relationship awkwardness

I'm very glad to see my favorite show back. I watched the Crunchyroll timer for 2 and a half hours waiting for it to unlock. I have a problem.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Ore no Imouto something something season 2] ten seconds into episode 1

Flashback of naked little Kirino entering the bath to spend some fun times with her brother

NOPE

Jex

[Majestic Prince] - 1

Rather underwhelming.

Most of the mecha content felt like you traditional 'Mecha Team' action, where as the comedy sections seemed to involve cutting between reaction shots of every single character in an extremely tiresome manner. If it weren't for the CG production by Orange (which looks pretty good) or the 'notable' character designs I probably wouldn't have even checked this out. It felt extremely by-the-numbers.

e_i

Oreimo season 2 episode 1

I sense...a god tier anime.
Favorite lines: "Are you guys lesbians?" and "Couldn't you've ordered this stuff online?" "I did."

RE: Flower of Evil

You guys were so busy making fun of background girl one you never bothered to pick on background girl number two. Or maybe you just never noticed her?

Background girl #2 ? where was she ?

Date A Live 1-

This makes Infinite Stratos look like high art. I'm dead serious when I say that. Why the fuck am I going to continue watching this?

Because they haven't started yet

Tenumi

Banned
So, I'm hanging out with some friends watching some anime. Our first choice: Eden of the East. Should be an interesting day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom