• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's absolutely no chance that Sony would ever make a Demon's Souls 2 (right?)

Guevara

I see a lot of people hoping for Sony to make a Demon's Souls 2, especially with the upcoming PS4 (or even the Vita). But how realistic is that really? Sony owns the IP but wasn't involved in development, and dropped the ball on publishing outside of Japan.

Game Informer: Sony owns the Demon’s Souls IP. What are you going to do with it?

Shuhei Yoshida: We never sell our IPs. Well, I should never say never, but it’s not our business. Our business is to grow our IP and we love Demon’s Souls. From Software is a very important business partner, so we’ll see.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/10/shuhei-yoshida-interview.aspx?PostPageIndex=1&PageIndex=2

It seems like most people are emphasizing ownership of the IP (the first part of the quote) rather than the second (From Software is a very important business partner).

So how likely is it really? Should we shut down all the optimism that one day, some Sony studio will create a DeS 2 (and would we even want it?).

Toki767

They'd have to pay From Software some money to stop making Dark Souls games and just make games on one platform.

Khrno

I see a lot of people hoping for Sony to make a Demon's Souls 2, especially with the upcoming PS4 (or even the Vita). But how realistic is that really? Sony owns the IP but wasn't involved in development, and dropped the ball on publishing outside of Japan.

Only SCEA did, as usual.

BadWolf

They could turn it into a portable series, would be able to do its own thing and not clash with the console/PC Dark Souls.

reson8or

This would be the most awesome thing ever. I still hold Demon's Souls as my favorite souls game (mainly due to the atmosphere). Sony has gone on record acknowledging that it was a mistake not to publish DS for NA. I truly hope they rectify that and develop another.

Soriku

Does From want to make an exclusive game after their multiplatform success? Would Namco let them go develop for Sony when the series is doing well for them? Does Sony actually give a shit?

Answer these questions and you'll find your answer.

Raide

I was wondering why people want Demon's Souls back. Is it only so they can talk about it as a PlayStation exclusive? I cannot see FROM bothering with it, especially since they can make way more money from multi-format launches.

It would be nice to take a few elements from Demon's and mold them into DS2 but I also hope DS2 goes a little in its own direction.

The series has moved on to Dark Souls. Unless From Software does Demon Souls 2 as well, it wouldn't be the same series. At least it wouldn't feel like it.

Aegus

The fanbase of Demon Souls knows that Dark Souls is made by the same company. There's no point in Sony making a sequel without FROM.

See Sports Interactive's old Championship Manager series and Football Manager. Fanbase followed the dev and not the title.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't get why people clamor for a Demon's Souls 2. That IS dark souls, even if you preferred Demon's to it, it has nothing to do with the name. The only way this would ever happen is if From got a bunch of money from Sony to keep it exclusive, and even then Dark Souls is a more recognizable name for people now so I don't really see it happening.

jgmo870

Banned
The series has moved on to Dark Souls. Unless From Software does Demon Souls 2 as well, it wouldn't be the same series. At least it wouldn't feel like it.

...based on what? The only thing about the Souls games that I don't think many other studios can replicate are the top notch monster designs.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Sony exclusivity.

Yeah, this seems to be the only real reason, it isn't as if they could bring back some Demon Soul's mechanics and stuff into future Dark Souls games. Why do you guys want to fuck over PC/360 owners?

LegatoB

NO.

Seriously, let Demon's Souls be Demon's Souls. It should continue its universe and I would buy it in a heartbeat over Dark Souls. Dark Souls is janked for me.
Someone has told you you're crazy, right? Humanity actually encourages you to co-op, since one of the easiest ways to gain it is to get summoned as a phantom and help someone beat a boss. Did you think it was a problem when people finished Demon's Souls with a bunch of unused Stones of Ephemeral Eyes? Losing the humanity stored "on your body" rather than in item form encourages you to actually use it to restore your body and kindle bonfires, and makes the weapons which scale with humanity have a (fairly slight) measure of risk and reward.

reson8or

I was wondering why people want Demon's Souls back. Is it only so they can talk about it as a PlayStation exclusive? I cannot see FROM bothering with it, especially since they can make way more money from multi-format launches.

It would be nice to take a few elements from Demon's and mold them into DS2 but I also hope DS2 goes a little in its own direction.

I'd like to think that its because they think its the superior game. Demon's Souls atmosphere was far and away better than Dark Souls, and I much preferred the hub world system, as well as the story/lore.

The fanbase of Demon Souls knows that Dark Souls is made by the same company. There's no point in Sony making a sequel without FROM.

See Sports Interactive's old Championship Manager series and Football Manager. Fanbase followed the dev and not the title.

I don't think anyone wants a sequel without From, obviously.

I don't get why people clamor for a Demon's Souls 2. That IS dark souls, even if you preferred Demon's to it, it has nothing to do with the name. The only way this would ever happen is if From got a bunch of money from Sony to keep it exclusive, and even then Dark Souls is a more recognizable name for people now so I don't really see it happening.

Right, well they collaborated before, there is no reason they could not do so again.

Sony exclusivity.

Nah.

zashga

...based on what? The only thing about the Souls games that I don't think many other studios can replicate are the top notch monster designs.

There's more to it than that. The Souls games have very effective minimalist storytelling that you don't see from most studios. They also seem exceptionally committed to their own vision of how the games should play without compromising to try to reach a broader market.

Giving Demon's Souls 2 to another studio would probably result in a very different game. It could still be good in its own right, but it may as well just be a new franchise entirely.

sublimit

Banned
I think the problem is that Namco wouldn't want From to start working on another very similar IP to Dark Souls,one that would likely antagonize it.Why would they let FS spend their ideas on another's very similar IP when they could very easily use them on their own IP?

Sony on the other hand probably wouldn't want to make Demon's Souls 2 on their own for three reasons.Firstly they were not the creative forces behind the original game and this means that if they tried to do it they would be greeted with doubtfulness from the media and the fans.Secondly they are probably not sure if they can make a good DS game without the help of FS.I don't think they would want to make just a bad copy of the original.And thirdly if they tried to make DS2 on their own,it might had bad repercussions on their future relations with FS.

Cesar

Banned
The original director of Demon and Dark souls 1 is working on a new project, who knows if Sony gave him a team to work with to make DS2?

Hydrargyrus

Sony should give this IP to Santa Monica.

They should take a break from GOW series and the Demon's Souls ip could be a killer app

Honey Bunny

I thought Sony was involved in development?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demons_souls

Demon's Souls (デモンズソウル Demonzu Souru?) is an action role-playing video game developed primarily by From Software with assistance from SCE Japan Studio

According to lead director Hidetaka Miyazaki, before the start of the two-year development period,[26] the studio had previously ruled out the following game to be a new installment in the King's Field series.[26] Instead SCEJ producer Takeshi Kajii described the game as a "spiritual successor" to King's Field,[27] where he stated "I am a fan of From Software, but naturally that also means there are parts of their games I'm not satisfied with, too," explaining the development choice as an opportunity to be more creative and potentially innovative, stating "If this was a new King's Field game, there would be areas we wouldn't be able to touch since they're part of the series; working together like this, we can try to make something really new."[27

jgmo870

Banned
There's more to it than that. The Souls games have very effective minimalist storytelling that you don't see from most studios. They also seem exceptionally committed to their own vision of how the games should play without compromising to try to reach a broader market.

Still, there's nothing here that can't be replicated. Especially if the property is given to a Japan Studios who do whatever they want and have a great history with minimalistic storytelling.

Giving Demon's Souls 2 to another studio would probably result in a very different game. It could still be good in its own right, but it may as well just be a new franchise entirely.

There's absolutely no reason to think so unless they're going for a reimagining or reboot like DmC.

pleunv

So how does that work exactly? Sony has the Demon Souls IP but FROM can just make the spiritual successor and slap a slightly different name on it to get around that?

Zukuu

Banned
I'd have loved if we'd see a new "Souls game" for every iteration. Would have been a pretty cool concept if you ask me. Kinda like Tales of... series.
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Death Souls
XYZ Souls... etc

The original director of Demon and Dark souls 1 is working on a new project, who knows if Sony gave him a team to work with to make DS2?

FROM has multiple teams. But you're on the right path.

The OP actually hit the nail on the head. Most people focus on the first line about never selling IPs, but the real info is at the end

From Software is a very important business partner

We know that one team is making Dark Souls 2. And we know that Hidetaka Miyazaki is working on another project which hasn't been announced yet. And we know that FROM and Sony have had a very close relationship for years with many, many exclusive titles.

Xater

I don't hink they are ever going to make it and who cares? I mean Dark souls is basically the same thing and we are already getting Dark Souls 2. If that one is a success you can be sure that FROM will do one for PS4 as well.

Wouldn't make any sense to have Demons souls 2. What would be the point of it? Would it be to have a ps3/4 exclusive? For what?

Well it's From who's responsible for the greatness of the game, not Sony. They're one of the best ever developers overall after all. (And btw I don't even like the Souls games, but that's just my taste. I imported Demon's Souls anyway.) The "IP" to me seems absolutely worthless in comparison to the studio's talent.

denshuu

Dark Souls is not different enough from Demons Souls to give me reason to think that a Demons Souls 2 would somehow be even less similar.

Top Bottom