• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's that game that coud've been 10 times better without that 1 game mechanic?

I stopped playing Dark Souls after ringing the second bell. The way you accumulate and spend souls is pretty solid and ingenious. But what stopped me from playing is the Humanity system. You acquire Humanity from loot and killing specific enemies like rats, and you absorb Humanity usually when you're low on health because absorbing Humanity will replenish your HP. Humanity changes your undead (Hollow) form to Human form. Humanity also increases your luck in finding better loot. You can absorb maximum 99 Humanities but no one ever carries more than a few. Because the problem is if you die, you will lose your souls as well as your Humanity count. It's too much to lose. So you run around carrying dozens of Humanity orbs in your inventory and use them only for other things, like giving them to leader of a covenant. I've played 97% of the time as Hollow. There was just no incentive for me to be in Human form at all, other than artificially imposing a restriction on myself for small benefit. This made me forego the biggest and most amazing feature of Demon's Souls which is the co-op. I thought Demon's did a perfect job of balancing Hollow/Human form and the Humanity aspect in general, which worked by aggregating total world statistics from the server.

Anyways, I wish the Humanity system was removed or replaced with Demon's. It would've made the game hell lot better with it's deeper combat flexibility and upgrades. Oh well. What game do you think would have been better served without that one feature/aspect?

Fireblend

Banned
L.A. Noire: Driving around LA. It would've worked much better if it skipped the non-narrative/sandbox-ish parts and was much closer to a classic adventure game.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Star Ocean 3&4, Ni No Kuni, etc.: treasure chests that you can't unlock until much later in the game, forcing you to backtrack through dungeons filled with super easy enemies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
L.A. Noire: Driving around LA. It would've worked much better if it skipped the non-narrative/sandbox-ish parts and was much closer to a classic adventure game.

You know you could let your partner drive, right? That way you skipped right to the next mission.

Acrylic7

Dragon Quarter BOF- saving system.

I would have easily feel in love with this game if it weren't for me having to restart from the beggining to save, or however it worked. Been so long ago.

GAMERG0D

If Skyward Sword didn't have so much hand-holding and didn't tell you about an item every time that you already have, it would be one of my favorite games.

Mabef

Banned
Some of you are complaining about what practically defines the game. "Killzone, the shooting" kind of defeats the purpose.

The adaptive leveling of enemies ruined Oblivion for me as a console player.

Fandangox

Nah, even with that out there were still some things that needed to be out before making the game truly great.

Skyward Sword w/o the wonky motion control

Wonky controls? On my end they were really responsive and what I liked most about the game. The only place I had trouble with it was the minecart section, that should have been controlled with the sticks instead, no reason to make it shoehorn motion control there.

Planet-scanning...

Worth noting that in Dark Souls lost humanity can be picked up with the souls when you die, although you don't regain your human form.

Also, you have to fuck up to need it for health replenishment, and its used to reinforce your Estus Flasks so you can carry 5-8-10-15-20 of them, meaning you won't be using it for health so much

prwxv3

Nah, even with that out there were still some things that needed to be out before making the game truly great.

Wonky controls? On my end they were really responsive and what I liked most about the game. The only place I had trouble with it was the minecart section, that should have been controlled with the sticks instead, no reason to make it shoehorn motion control there.

Yea thats true.

Prince of Persia 2008 - if half the game wasn't a lightseed collectithon.

Yeah that too. Same with Enslaved. Collecting things just take you out of the game. It's just not fun and defeats the immersion you're suppose to feel.

Best way to do it is copy Ninja Gaiden or God of War and automatically extract it from bad guys you kill or treasure chests you find.

The_Monk

For me it would be Asura's Wrath fellow GAFfer.

IyUZaTql.png

I think they could have made the game with much less focus in thee QtE game mechanic.

Mogwai

GTAIV with regenerating health would have been awesome.

I hated reloading checkpoints and searching for hotdog sellers.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - Building & Driving vehicles.

For me it would be Asura's Wrath fellow GAFfer.

IyUZaTql.png

I think they could have made the game with much less focus in thee QtE game mechanic.

Might as well say the games would have been better if they made a different game

Same with stripping Skyward Sword of its Motion Controls

DmC: Devil May Cry: The color coded enemies

I would have kept going and played Dante Must Die, Hell or Hell etc modes if they weren't in the game.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - Building & Driving vehicles.

What? You like...wouldn't even have a game at that point.

TreIII

Fairly recent example: Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate - QTEs.

All in all, I'd say I enjoyed the game...except for QTEs. Especially of the "overdrawn Dragon's Lair-style sequence" variety.

I don't know why action games like putting these QTEs in the games. Games like Bayonetta would be, dare I say, 100 times better if QTEs didn't break up the action.

Also, you have to fuck up to need it for health replenishment, and its used to reinforce your Estus Flasks so you can carry 5-8-10-15-20 of them, meaning you won't be using it for health so much

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything, but if you're using Humanity for health-regain you're doing it wrong.

Fusebox

Banned
Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

The charcoal rubbings, and having to rub items clean. Rubbing anything in general (except for Senran Kagura),

Brofield

Tripping.

I know competitive seems to hate Brawl with a burning passion with every other single flaw made, but for the rest of us mortals casuals, tripping was the only real annoyance.

prwxv3

Fairly recent example: Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate - QTEs.

All in all, I'd say I enjoyed the game...except for QTEs. Especially of the "overdrawn Dragon's Lair-style sequence" variety.

I don't know why action games like putting these QTEs in the games. Games like Bayonetta would be, dare I say, 100 times better if QTEs didn't break up the action.

The cutscene QTEs in Bayonetta were terribad. Some had to have perfect execution or you would die and fuckup your ranking. The ones during combat and finishers were ok.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Star Ocean 3 - item creation. (Choose from a massive combination of variables, piss away all your money without creating anything, reload save, repeat.)

Resident Evil 5 - Coop

I dunno.
Co-op in RE5 with an actual person is actually really good.
Co-op with the default AI is like stabbing yourself in the eye.

Anyways, I'm going to say weapon synthesis in Phantasy Star Universe (as opposed to rare drops) was a major detractor for a long time. To get nice weapons, you have to hunt and hunt to components, then you have to get a board (aka recipe) with limited uses, then you have to actually initiate the synth with sometimes extremely low success rates, then you have to wait HOURS UPON HOURS for them to complete.
Nothing quite like spending all that time to hunt for items, then spending all your money and literally days of waiting and potentially have nothing to show for it.

Top Bottom