• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Kassu

Banned
no really, if Massa can deal with traffic during the few first laps and manage his tires by no battling with early quicker cars on softer compound I believe he got this on the bag if the Ferrari race pace is the same as in free practice.
I can't imagine any possible scenario where Ferrari lets Massa to win unless Alonso retires from the race somehow. And even then he probably just destroys his race with his unstable race pace.

DBT85

I can't imagine any possible scenario where Ferrari lets Massa to win unless Alonso retires from the race somehow. And even then he probably just destroys his race with his unstable race pace.

Massa only needs to have someone between him and Alonso and there is nothing the team would be able to do about it. Short of telling him to give up two places.

Especially with that first corner.

And with two FIs behind this will be awesome first corner :D

untitled-121fson.gif

Ark

Impressive pole lap by Nico, wasn't expecting that at all going into Qualy.

I don't feel that Mercedes have the race pace to back up that single-lap pace though, so I expect Alonso, Vettel and Kimi on the podium in any order.

jey_16

Banned
Massa will find some way to screw it up. Better to be third rather then second for Alonso, you get the clean side of the track

Happy for Alexander Rossi. He finished 3rd, which is great. I hope to see him in F1 one day.

Also, Sky is showing the 2007 Bahrain GP. Massa is on pole. So weird to see.

Hammer24

Banned
Great showing by ROS!
Drivers talking about wind changing from FP3 to Q, thus the sudden changes in performance. Will be a very interesting race. MAS with hard tyres on #4, will add extra spice.

Looks like I missed a good qualy session. Fucking DVR didn't record it. Oh well.

Only the last 1:30 minutes of Q3 were really interesting, when all 10 cars were on track.And even then it wasn't a big shoot-out between the teams. Alonso didn't even bother to finish his last lap.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Only the last 1:30 minutes of Q3 were really interesting, when all 10 cars were on track.And even then it wasn't a big shoot-out between the teams. Alonso didn't even bother to finish his last lap.

He wouldn't get any further up on the grid so he did a right thing. Also he locked his front left hard in that lap.

it will be interesting to watch a race, how will tires behave tomorrow. Time gap between medium and hard is not so big, so this will be interesting. But i think that Felipe will suffer in DRS zones in the first stint. If he survives FI assault in the first corner.

Looks like I missed a good qualy session. Fucking DVR didn't record it. Oh well.

You didn't miss anything. It was the most boring quali this year.

Tomorrow I'm going to the race.. Hopefully it won't be as boring as the quali..

Again, I predict an Alonso victory unless something extremely unusual happens

DBT85

Pirelli think Hamiltons tyre failure was caused by some metal debris on track

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106928

"We are assuming that there was a piece of metal on the track that got into the suspension, the wheel, the brakes and that has caused us to lose the tread.

"It didn't deflate the tyre as the structural part was still intact and whatever it was went on and did van der Garde's tyre as well.

"That's all we can say at the moment."

"It has sent it into a massive overheat and we are trying to look at the telemetry to understand it," he said.

"We have a lab here, so we have some idea and can see some patches of overheating on the tread that has caused it to go well over 200C, which is rare and strange."

Shaneus

Good showing from Rosberg. Not particularly noteworthy qualifying session aside from that. Webber is pretty disappointing. :(
A little, but I think they may have something up their sleeve in that regard. Is he starting 8th or does he get bumped up to 7th because his penalty counts before Hamiltons (as in, Webber drops 3 but because Hamilton drops 5, Webber jumps up one).

Definitely happy with Nico getting pole, but I don't for one second think either of the Mercs have a chance of winning. Pretty confident with the prediction someone said earlier... Alonso first, with Vettel and Kimi jostling on the podium (unless Massa finds some of the pace Alonso has).

Hoping against hope Webber can pull something out for his 200th. Doubt it'll happen, but I'd at least like to see him improve his WDC position.

Surprised with the Williams as well. When they showed Frank rolling around the pits, he just looked so dejected :( At least McLaren will be keeping them company soon.

Pirelli think Hamiltons tyre failure was caused by some metal debris on track

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106928
Sure it was, Pirelli.

ok F1 GAF, what's all this bullshit about Vettel going to Ferrari, now they're starting to talk about it here across the pond, why would he leave Red Bull, it makes no sense

oh, good pole Nico

ok F1 GAF, what's all this bullshit about Vettel going to Ferrari, now they're starting to talk about it here across the pond, why would he leave Red Bull, it makes no sense

oh, good pole Nico

Because it's his dream to drive for Ferrari and once Alonso ended his career there, Vettel is probably going to fill his seat.

It was Conan O'Brien's dream to host the Tonight Show. Look how that worked out.

Once Alonso is gone in 2016 or whenever, Ferrari needs to fill his seat. Who's going to do that? Perez? Bianchi? Webber will be in retirement by then, so he couldn't even replace Massa as #2. Unless Vettel's performance takes a huge nosedive, there's no reason why they wouldn't take him either.

It's strange, I find myself not looking forward to the race tomorrow. I can't help feeling that it's going to be another one decided by ability to take care of the tyres... plus of course Bahrain isn't exactly one of the special ones.

I'll feel better about it if Alonso is still third (yes, I know, but still) by the end of the first lap. If he can pass Vettel then I think he'll make quick work of Rosberg and disappear up the road.

Sloane

Banned
It's strange, I find myself not looking forward to the race tomorrow. I can't help feeling that it's going to be another one decided by ability to take care of the tyres... plus of course Bahrain isn't exactly one of the special ones.
Same goes for China which still managed to be fun. With Alonso, Vettel, and Rosberg being so close to each other, the tires might actually make things more interesting tomorrow. Most will go for three stops anyway, except for Button and maybe Massa (out of the top ten), I guess.

Leunam

rplzCMn.png

2012 Race Summary

The race was the first of 10 (including all the European races and Singapore) this season to begin at 12:00 UTC (15:00 local) in a much more European friendly viewing time. It started under warm cloudy conditions with an ambient temperature of 27 °C (81 °F) and a track temperature of 32 °C (90 °F). Since Fernando Alonso and Paul di Resta did not set a time in Q3 they, along with the 14 drivers behind them, could start on either the soft 'option' tyre or the medium 'prime' tyre. All but Kamui Kobayashi opted to start on the soft compound yellow banded tyre.

As the red lights went out it was the drivers on the 'clean' driving line of the grid that mostly got the better start, especially towards the front half of the grid. The top three drivers from qualifying all held their position as Sebastian Vettel led into the first corner. Mark Webber did not have KERS for the first lap and lost any opportunity to gain on Lewis Hamilton in second. Romain Grosjean, Alonso and Kimi Räikkönen all made great starts compared to the drivers on the dirty (and presumably sandy) side of the grid while Australian Daniel Ricciardo, who started from his best ever qualifying position (6th), made a terrible start as the big name teams overtook him and left him 11th after the first corner. Jenson Button slipped to 6th by turn one, Bruno Senna was up to 10th from 15th while his teammate Pastor Maldonado was 15th after lap 1 following his gearbox penalty which forced him to start from 21st position. The end of lap one saw the drivers move into single file while at the front Vettel led by more than two seconds. Heikki Kovalainen pitted after the first lap as he punctured his left rear tyre in an incident not clearly shown on television; there appeared to be some contact near turn 10 where Ricciardo hit Kovalainen perhaps puncturing his tyre while Ricciardo lost some bodywork from the car resulting in a damaged front wing.

On the start of lap 3 Felipe Massa made a move down the inside of Räikkönen for 7th. They were side-by-side through turn 1 and 2 when Räikkönen yielded the position. At the start of lap 4, Grosjean was the first to use the DRS successfully on Webber when he took 3rd place with ease through turn 1. During the fifth lap, Räikkönen re-took 7th as Massa went deep into turn 4 and this resulted in Räikkönen gaining better traction through the 'S' turns (turns 5-7) squeezing Massa behind him. In the early stages it was Romain Grosjean who had fast race pace and on lap 7 he again overtook using DRS, this time Hamilton was his victim. Lotus teammate Räikkönen was also putting in comparatively quick lap times and overtook Button around the outside prior to turn 4. Further down the field, Maldonado in the Williams was overtaken by a DRS assisted Toro Rosso's Jean-Éric Vergne only to grab Vergne's slipstream and retake the position while Vergne still had his DRS wing open.

Lap 8 confirmed that Ricciardo had damaged his front wing when he pitted to switch to the medium tyre and swap his damaged front wing for a new one. Button complained on the radio about his rear tyres losing performance while the Lotus looked very strong as Räikkönen again put the DRS to good use and claimed Alonso on the 9th lap for 5th position. Button, Massa and Nico Rosberg all pitted together with Button coming out into 'clean air' however Rosberg and Massa rejoined behind a Marussia. The next lap saw Hamilton, Webber, and Alonso all pit together in that order but Hamilton had a problem with the left rear and was stopped for nearly ten seconds forcing a slow pit time of 28.341 seconds, dropping him behind Alonso, Button and Rosberg. Compounding Hamilton's problems, on the straight before turn 4 Rosberg desperately forced Hamilton wide and off-road but could not hold Hamilton back from taking the position. The incident was to be looked at after the race. Replays showed Hamilton's disappointment as he shook his head while waiting to be released.

The leader, Vettel, pitted and left the Paul di Resta (who had not yet pitted) in the lead - the first time a Force India has lead a lap since the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix when Giancarlo Fisichella was driving for them. By lap 15 all the cars had made at least one stop. At this stage, Vettel led the Lotus cars followed by teammate Webber and the Button-led Mclarens. Alonso, Rosberg, Massa and Perez rounded out the top 10 while 7 time world champion Michael Schumacher was in 13th - still clawing his way back into points contention.

Lap 21 saw Räikkönen and Rosberg the only drivers in the top 9 on the soft compound after both saving a set during qualifying. During the same lap, Maldonando used DRS to put a move on Perez, however went deep and the two duelled to turn 4 when di Resta who was behind them pounced through the inside as they battled each wide of the apex. Crucially, Räikkönen on softs had caught his teammate and was right behind him but was not able to overtake him, even with the DRS. It appeared the Lotus' were equally matched and Räikkönen was starting to lose grip from either following the dirty air of his teammate or his tyres were hitting the 'cliff' (performance-wise) or both. Eventually Räikkönen passed his teammate using the DRS but "was it too late?" the commentators questioned.

Lap 23 saw Webber, Alonso and Hamilton all pit again and yet again Hamilton had a problem with his left rear leaving him stationary for a mammoth 12.2 seconds while his pit time hit 30.622 seconds. Hamilton had an identical problem from the first pit stop with his left rear wheel nut not working properly. For the second time in the race Rosberg forced someone wide and off-road in the straight before turn 4, this time Alonso was his victim. Alonso was very vocal on the radio on Rosberg's actions which saw the stewards again decide to look at the incident after the race and not during it. Lap 25 saw Maldonado behind the duelling Rosberg and Alonso obtain a left rear puncture which sent him into a 360 degree spin and forced him to retire.

Lap 31 saw Vettel lead from the two Lotus cars and Webber. By this stage it was clear that di Resta was on a two-stop strategy along with Sauber's Kobayshi. Räikkönen also started to catch leader Vettel and was within the DRS zone on lap 33. Vettel was told on his radio to dig deep and find some pace to defend with. Räikkönen moved ever closer to Vettel and on lap 36 attempted an overtake down the inside but then under braking switched to the outside unsuccessfully. Vettel was told "push to pass" meaning he was able to use his maximum 18,000rpm down the main straight to defend against Räikkönen and his DRS. Presumably Vettel had been shifting gear at under the permitted 18,000rpm limit in a bid to save fuel, as consequently Vettel stopped right after the completion of the race at the pit exit.

Lap 39 saw Hamilton set the fastest lap at the time from 10th position. It also saw the last round of pit stops from leader Vettel, Räikkönen and Red Bull driver Webber. Backmarkers were now starting to be lapped, some for the second occasion of the race. After the pit stops, where both Vettel and Räikkönen both chose medium tyres, the gap that between them was under a second was out to more than three seconds. All of the top 10 were now on the preferred medium compound.

Räikkönen was told on lap 46 that they expect to catch Vettel at the end because of Vettel's predicted higher tyre degradation. Kobayshi was in 11th on a two-stop strategy but was lapping nearly two-seconds slower than his rivals and thus pitted for a third time on lap 50. Räikkönen briefly fought back to trail the leader by less than three seconds, but then slipped back to the previous three-second plus margin. Rosberg caught di Resta in 5th as the Scotsman started to lose tyre performance. A desperate di Resta was told via team radio to use a double KERS boost on the start/finish straight, meaning to use his remaining KERS out of the final corner and also to use his new KERS that gets reset when crossing the start/finish line. Finally, the Mercedes of Rosberg managed to pass the Force India and quickly pushed ahead. Di Resta, now in 6th, now found himself under pressure from Button after losing four seconds in three laps. Amazingly lucky for di Resta, just as Button was in the DRS zone and would most likely pass the Scotsman, Button developed a left rear puncture and pitted immediately leaving di Resta in 6th place and Button out of points contention in 12th.

Senna retired with three laps to go making it a double retirement for the Williams team. Nico Rosberg had a broken exhaust for some time but was told not worry by the team during lap 56. On the same lap Button had a worrying sound come from his McLaren-Mercedes engine and was forced to retire from the race. Going into the final lap, the double world champion led with Räikkönen, Grosjean and Webber a cut above the other drivers. Crossing the line Vettel claimed his 17th victory starting from pole position and his 22nd overall. It was also the first win for both Vettel and Red Bull for the 2012 season. His engineer told him to stop at the pit exit instead of completing a victory lap most likely due to low fuel. The two Lotus cars were next to cross the line with Räikkönen (2nd) achieving his first podium since the 2009 Italian Grand Prix where he drove for Scuderia Ferrari.

Romain Grosjean finished third which was his best ever result in Formula One, surpassing his previous best of 6th place from last round. With his podium, Grosjean was also the first Frenchman to reach podium in almost 14 years (Jean Alesi in 1998 was the last time it occurred). Red Bull teammate Mark Webber finished 4th for the fourth consecutive time this season leaving him as clearly the most consistent driver of the 2012 championship so far.

Some 55 seconds from the lead was Nico Rosberg who was lucky not to get penalised by the stewards for dangerous driving. Di Resta managed to hold off the Ferrari of Alonso by less than 0.3 of a second and made his two-stop strategy work effectively to claim 6th place and equal his best ever Formula One result (2011 Singapore Grand Prix). Alonso later said that it was a "shame that I was missing one more straight to get past Di Resta in the end". Hamilton, who lost around fifteen seconds through wasted pit stop time, was a disappointing 8th; while behind him Felipe Massa picked up his first points of the year by finishing 9th. Further back was Schumacher who did well to claim the final point after starting from the 22nd grid position. Both Sauber and Scuderia Toro Rosso lacked race pace and were out of the points meanwhile at the back the Caterham F1 team performed the best of the bottom three teams.

In four races the 2012 Formula One championship has had four different points leaders and four different winners, highlighting the unpredictability of this year's field.

9gKRp80.png

Omiee said:
The track itself is pretty boring. There are not a lot of places for overtaking and the surrounding areas are pretty bland. I think we can be expect a pretty exciting race. Ferrari have the pace and mercedes and rbr are not that far off. Kimi in his lotus will make sure he makes it hard on the top guys. I think Alonso will win with Vettel and Kimi to fill the podium. Midfield battle will be fun for sure. One of my fav moments has to be the off track overtaking that happened last year with hamilton and rosberg.
RomanticHeroX said:
I think the track has produced a mix of good races and bad, but with tires being such a question this year it should be interesting. My favorite Bahrain GP has to be 2012, when we got to see definitively that Kimi's absence hadn't made him any slower. With that, I think Kimi looks good this year. He's always done well on this circuit, and with track temperatures being so high, having a car that's delicate on tires should be a huge advantage.
Circuit Info
[Click for Onboard Lap]

XR8gX.png

Laps
57​
Circuit length
5.412 km (3.363 mi)​
Race length
308.405 km (191.634 mi)​
Lap Record
Michael Schumacher - Ferrari - 2004 - 1:30.252​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Fernando Alonso (3)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari (4)​

Previous Winners & Pole Positions

2012 - Winner: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:32.422​
2011 - Winner: Event Cancelled

2010 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:54.101​
2009 - Winner: Jenson Button - Brawn-Mercedes
Pole: Jarno Trulli - Toyoa - 1:33.431​
2008 - Winner: Felipe Massa - Ferrari
Pole: Robert Kubica - BMW-Sauber - 1:33.096​
2007 - Winner: Felipe Massa - Ferrari
Pole: Felipe Massa - Ferrari - 1:32.652​
2006 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Renault
Pole: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari - 1:31.431​
2005 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Renault
Pole: Fernando Alonso - Renault - 3:01.902 (Aggregate)​

Videos highlighting the Bahrain GP

Highlights from the 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix

Changes from 2012

-Uneven kerbstones on the exit of turn 12 have been replaced with a more uniform kerb.

GP Facts

-Fernando Alonso has scored the most wins of any driver at the Sakhir Circuit. The Spaniard has three victories – for Renault in 2005/’06 and for Ferrari in 2010. Every other time Alonso has raced here he’s finished off the podium, finishing sixth in 2004, fifth in ’07, 10th in ’08, eighth in ’09 and seventh last year.

-The Bahrain Grand Prix has never been won from beyond the first two rows but it hasn’t been particularly favourable to drivers in pole position – only four times in eight events has the pole-sitter gone on to win the race.

-The Bahrain International Circuit has two main pit buildings and six potential layouts. Alongside the Grand Prix and Endurance layouts, there is an Inner Circuit, Outer Circuit, Paddock Circuit and Flat Oval.

-Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg made his Formula One debut here in 2006, racing for Williams. He qualified 12th and drove to seventh position in the race to claim two points. The German also claimed the fastest lap of the grand prix.

-The 2006 Bahrain GP was that season’s opening race. It saw the debuts of Scott Speed for Toro Rosso and Yuji Ide for Super Aguri. Speed raced 28 grands prix, with his final event being the 2007 European Grand Prix. Ide raced just four times in F1 before a crash at the 2006 San Marino GP led to his Superlicence being revoked by the FIA.

twz2o80.png

Ark said:
Bahrain isn't a particularly fantastic circuit but neither is Valencia and last year produced a thoroughly exciting race, maybe this year we'll get lucky. Personally, I'm hoping we don't end up with a Kimi Vs. Vettel showdown like we did last year, I'm hoping that with the change to the more durable tyres that Mercedes might be able to create some extra pace. Ultimately though, I expect Ferrari and Alonso to be on top.
Myoclonic Jerk said:
Ferrari are cementing themselves as the team to beat this season with Redbull and Lotus closely behind but with less consistency. Unlike last year, the big teams bar Mercedes have a clear number 1 driver already so the WDC will be even more competitive than last year's..

Drivers Championship Standings

SFUHXVg.png

Constructors Championship Standings

gbUaZGK.png

Fantasy Championship Standings

oiUztOB.png

How are tensions over there vs. last year, MJ?

Much much better. I even participated in an anti govt rally yesterday afternoon and it ended peacefully. Saw the odd road blocking and tyres burning but nothing compared to last year's

Is it hotter than yesterday? Some teams were saying that Sunday will be the hottest day

Yes. Yesterday there was some clouds and it drizzled a bit. Not today though

Zeknurn

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/04/21/fia-disables-telemetry-link-bahrain/

The FIA will continue not to operate a telemetry link to the cars during this weekend’s race due to ongoing problems with the system.

Problems with the system since the beginning of the season have prevented from the FIA from operating it.

As in previous races, the FIA will be unable to automatically disable DRS when necessary, drivers will not receive warning message via the cockpit lights and teams will not receive automatic blue flag warnings.

smh

Top Bottom